daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #821
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
reat picture. The skyline however can run for the "ugliest" contest. The buildings are ugly, have poor design and spoil the entire landscape!
Like always. We know that the buildings are ugly Benidorm, and a design was too "SudAmerican." But the truth is that we aren't here to judge the beauty of some other buildings, but forming the skyline. And the truth is that the skyline of Benidorm is better than in Rotterdam. Right now, the better a 200m skyscraper, "Residential In Time", which will make even more spectacular.

And I keep saying the same: 8 of 100m buildings in Rotterdam aren't a better skyline than four 250m in Madrid. Moreover, with an additional difference, which is that these buildings are surrounded by Rotterdam smaller, 3, 4 or 5 floors, so although it isn't too high, the buildings of Rotterdam seem much higher as they really are. And what I said in a previous post: the large majority of these highrises would be a mockery of Rotterdam next to the four towers in Madrid. Moreover, the tallest building in Rotterdam will be the sixth in Madrid. If you see in the photo of Fabrega, all these buildings that are next to the CTBA, are between 18 and 22 floors, which is normal in Rotterdam. So you can get an idea of representing the skyline of Rotterdam to the magnificence of the skyscrapers "madrileños".

Greetings.

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #822
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidacXavier View Post
the truth is that the skyline of Benidorm is better than in Rotterdam

Density doesn't equal quality. And anyway, how dare you to judge in the name of others?

It's all about subjective matters, there is no "truth" in subjective matters, since it's all about personal perception.
There might be a whole lot of people who prefer the Rotterdam skyline over the Benidorm one. I'm one of them.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #823
FlyingDutchman

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Rotterdam has many high-rise buildings in its center because of its history.
The historic center of Rotterdam was extremely damaged during WWII, Paris wasn't !

The historic center of Paris is largely intact and we wont replace Notre Dame, Le Marais or the Latin quarter, by skyscrapers.....

Anyway from the point of view of the urban area of Paris, La défense is really close the center of the city, more, Front de Seine and Montparnasse tower (210m) are inside the center of Paris !

Rotterdam after WWII bombing :
Picture
As a Dutch, I know the history of Rotterdam offcourse!
Offcourse it would be a shame if they demolis the center of Paris, because it's beautifull!

But it's not about why there are(n't) skyscrapers in the center of the city, I just like it more when skyscrapers are in the center
FlyingDutchman no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #824
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

^Agreed. Rotterdam chose to build skyscrapers in the center instead of normal rowhouses and buildings like Amsterdam or any other city has.

@DidacXavier - How many times are you going to tell us that "8 of 100m buildings in Rotterdam aren't a better skyline than four 250m in Madrid".
I know your opinion now I say: 4 of 250m in isn't better than 8 of 100m. It's just an opinion, but I hear you saying it over and over again.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #825
xlchris
Not much

Anyways, pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs010 View Post

Old May 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #826
Sponsor

It's everyone's individual opinion if skyline is good or not. For me great cluster consist of at least 6 towers, it's dense, it has different-sized builidings (both low and high structures) and one dominate but not too dominating (I mean the second highest tower in cluster is at least 3/5 of the height of the tallest one). Architecture and appearance also counts. I like mixed glass and oldschool towers got together in one cluster.

That's why I don't like Madrid skyline. It looks like four posts sticking out of the ground -----> | | | |
Sponsor no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM   #827
velPaulus

Likes (Received): 2

Today I visited Intraco building http://www.urbanity.pl/zdjecie2290/warszawa.

On the 38th floor there is a window turned to the south. It gives really beautiful view.

Impressive, isn't it?

If someone would like to have the full scale photos, please ask me. I'll send them by e-mail.

Last edited by velPaulus; May 21st, 2009 at 12:44 AM.
velPaulus no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:24 AM   #828
RamItDown

Likes (Received): 0

Some more London. All pics from the UK forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

Taken the other Night any ideas where from?? using Nikon D40x with 55-200mm zoom f 5.3 10sec
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawd View Post
changeable weather:
image hosted on flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazKinz View Post
From the 30th floor of Guy's Tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Taken 3rd Jan, by 'ianduffy' on flickr:
Extra Large Version: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/...52133ce7_o.jpg
image hosted on flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

Heres another shot taken by me the other night from a crazy vantage point in South London.... anyone wanna go up there let me know!
RamItDown no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:36 AM   #829
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

by paddyspub85 at flickr

by laynecom at flickr

by messagio at flickr

by validierer at flickr
HD no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:53 AM   #830
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
But it's not about why there are(n't) skyscrapers in the center of the city, I just like it more when skyscrapers are in the center
So, again : Do you prefer, a real historic center (when it exists) or a "downtown" just like north american cities have !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
^Agreed. Rotterdam chose to build skyscrapers in the center instead of normal rowhouses and buildings like Amsterdam or any other city has.
Do you really think it was a choice ???

For me, it is just a historic constraint !

Quote:
How many times are you going to tell us that "8 of 100m buildings in Rotterdam aren't a better skyline than four 250m in Madrid".
I know your opinion now I say: 4 of 250m in isn't better than 8 of 100m. It's just an opinion, but I hear you saying it over and over again.
I agree, especially about Paris : 60/70 100m+... but simply one 200m+ (today)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by velPaulus View Post
Impressive, isn't it?
No it isn't !!
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM   #831
Fabrega

Likes (Received): 148

This is the closest you get for a waterfront pic of Madrid the Azca financial area. There is one more tower in this area that is u/c now but is only 104m and is really just replacing the old windsor tower that burned in a fire.

by ecthelion

Well alot of you problably wondering why diden't Madrid build the 4 towers in Azca area? Here is the answer "operacion chamartin" one of the biggest urbanistic project of the EU. Azca was also full and there was lack of space.

Spaniards started from scrap for their new financial district,they choose this instead of overcrowding Azca. Infrasctructure is already planned, some already done, the rest to start this summer. Subway, train, higspeedtrains, tunnels. All to make it one of the most accesible financial districts of europe, the higspeed train will connect it to other financial centers of the EU and other important cities of Spain.

No towers will raise anytime soon sense is early in the project, except the round building next to the four towers which it has alredy been finance for its first fase of contruction. The rest are just volumes to represent the amount of sq meter allowed in each lot. I think it was a good move for the future sense it gives them plenty of space to grow and better access. Sadly only one or 2 towers will reach the 300m barrier. They hope everything will be ready for Madrids 2016 olympic bid.

Fabrega no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM   #832
xlchris
Not much

Yes, I realy think Rotterdam chose to build skyscrapers after city center was bombed.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM   #833
kartezjo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
No it isn't !!
To be honest all european skylines look miserable... especially compared to north american and asian skylines.
kartezjo no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM   #834
xlchris
Not much

^That's because European cities have more history, and they don't want to build a skyscraper next to it, mostly.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM   #835
flexpur

Likes (Received): 56

You really thinks so Chris? Come on, city's in North America and Asia has al lot more skyscrapers, that's why! And if this was the case in Europe, then there was evenso a skyline, but not in the city center. Be realistic man!
flexpur no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM   #836
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

flexpur, there is a reason why american and asian cities have more skyscrapers than european cities ... and that's mainly due to the fact, that most european cities have historic cores, which are protected.

and btw. there are cities in europe with skyscraper skylines right in the city center ...
HD no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM   #837
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58013

^ Like Frankfurt, Warsaw, Rotterdam and London.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM   #838
xlchris
Not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexpur View Post
You really thinks so Chris? Come on, city's in North America and Asia has al lot more skyscrapers, that's why! And if this was the case in Europe, then there was evenso a skyline, but not in the city center. Be realistic man!
Dat is het domste argument wat ik ooit heb gehoord (Ja ik zie dat je uit A'dam komt vandaar dat ik t even zo doe ).
Maar kom op zeg, 'omdat ze meer wolkenkrabbers hebben' is toch geen argument? Je weet dat heus wel.
Het is gewoon een feit dat de steden hier in Europa voor het overgrote deel meer historie hebben waardoor en minder kan worden gebouwd.
Daarnaast is er nog niet zo super lang hoogbouw in Europa, en het komt nu langzaam op gang in vele steden.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM   #839
FlyingDutchman

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
So, again : Do you prefer, a real historic center (when it exists) or a "downtown" just like north american cities have !
I both like them, but Rotterdam couldn't have a historic center anymore, so now they have a downtown, and thats what I like about a skyline (thats what we are talking about right)?
For historic I'll go to other Dutch cities
FlyingDutchman no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM   #840
norbert91

Likes (Received): 3

the photo is from "the best skyline in eastern europe" thread

norbert91 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
berlin, european union, la défense, london, paris, rotterdam, skyline, warsaw