daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #981
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9710

for that, I agree with you... DON'T UNDERRATE WARSAW !!!!! (it's a sin )

You should already konw that !!

There is an expression from Québec about Poland " Les malheurs de la Pologne sont la preuve de l'existence de Dieu ".........

Last edited by parcdesprinces; June 6th, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #982
antigoon99

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidacXavier View Post
Say you do not know Spain, neither you nor parcdesprinces. Of course, Spain is not Germany or France (I give thanks that this is so), but we have what you wish. You know how many Germans living in Spain? And English? Only in Valencia, more than 100,000 English and 60,000 Germans, fleeing from his "spectacular" countries.
because of the sunshine

Quote:
The Spanish health is recognized as the best in the world: free and universal. Education is free and universal. Our pension system is one of the best of the world (pensions paid exclusively by the state, depending on the amounts and years of contributions). The unemployed receive unemployment benefits, according to the time quoted, equivalent to 60-70% of their gross salary, paid by the state.
this really is the same, in many European countries

Quote:
We are the first European country in number of kilometers of highways and rail lines of high speed, in addition to being built. We are the first European country in renewable energy production (solar and wind).

Quote:
Opel is German, and their situation is terrible.
Opel is GM, the situation of GM is terrible...but there is still VW, Mercedez, BMW, Porsche...

Quote:
France has not exceeded 3% of GDP growth over the past 10 years (several years Spain has been above 4%). The poorest regions of Germany are poorer than the poorest in Spain.
maybe, it don't know, but Spain isn't richer than Germany

Spain is a modern european country, but it can't compete with the greater Western european economies....

but back on topic...
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #983
butch83

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboulinet View Post
oh ! personal insult ! great !

Just because i say warsaw has no skycrapers ?
No, just because You said midrise is a building between 50 and 150 meters, that is kinda childisch thing to do so i called You a boy, Warsaw has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
for that, I agree with you... DON'T UNDERRATE WARSAW !!!!! (it's a sin )

You should already konw that !!

There is an expression from Québec about Poland " Les malheurs de la Pologne sont la preuve de l'existence de Dieu ".........
And what this expression has to do with this thread? I am an atheist for instance and I am not gonna get provoked by this brilliant and so on topic post of Yours.
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #984
Fizmo1337

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo View Post
How can not include London there.Warsaw's got about 7 highrises + overall shite architecture and hardly any height.And plus it doesn't even have good composition.There must be allot of poles on this forum.

Oh and skyscrapersuperman,Landmark tower and 100 middlesex aren't completed.
Well London is actually 4th in my list but I feel it misses something. I really don't like the City of London skyline: too disorganised, no cohesion, only a few towers and most of all it are strange towers which look really weird next to each other and don't feel like a 'real' skyline. (the 'egg' shaped tower look just so out of place there )
I like Canary Wharf on the other hand (dense + organized + clean, modern buildings) but it's also quite small and it misses height. Put everything together in London in 1 nice business district like La Defense and it would be quite close with Paris and Frankfurt but like it is now I don't really like it.

London as a city has a nice view though but for skylines there are better cities.

Warsaw has all their towers packed in the center in a nice modern business district which is a plus for me. The towers are also quite modern and have height, they also quite fit in in the skyline + the skyline is well organised. (It seems I disagree with you here )
And when you watch Warsaw's skyline from far it really stands out quite a lot, much more then London so for me Warsaw > London.

Maybe at the moment it needs a few more of them but there are many under construction and in a few years it will be a clear 3rd.

edit: I just want to add I'm not Polish nor have any connection with them

Last edited by Fizmo1337; June 7th, 2009 at 12:33 AM.
Fizmo1337 está en línea ahora  
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #985
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizmo1337 View Post
Well London is actually 4th in my list but I feel it misses something. I really don't like the City of London skyline: too disorganised, no cohesion, only a few towers and most of all it are strange towers which look really weird next to each other and don't feel like a 'real' skyline. (the 'egg' shaped tower look just so out of place there )
I like Canary Wharf on the other hand (dense + organized + clean, modern buildings) but it's also quite small and it misses height. Put everything together in London in 1 nice business district like La Defense and it would be quite close with Paris and Frankfurt but like it is now I don't really like it.

London as a city has a nice view though but for skylines there are better cities.

Warsaw has all their towers packed in the center in a nice modern business district which is a plus for me. The towers are also quite modern and have height, they also quite fit in in the skyline + the skyline is well organised. (It seems I disagree with you here )
And when you watch Warsaw's skyline from far it really stands out quite a lot, much more then London so for me Warsaw > London.

Maybe at the moment it needs a few more of them but there are many under construction and in a few years it will be a clear 3rd.

True about the City of London... We'll have to wait for all current projects to get completed to make it something closer to what could be a proper skyline.

Canary Wharf though, is a better (and slightly underrated I would say) example. It's dense, tall (one tower of 235m, two towers of 200m and a bunch of shorter ones), very well organized and generally a good looking highrise cluster. A rather exemplary implementation of a modern skyscraper district.

The only problem I see with CW is that, in fact, it's too dense. La Defense perhaps wouldn't be that miuch bigger but buildings there are just farther away from each other while in Canary Wharf they are very close and thus block each other when looking from a distance. That would not be a problem if even more towers would be added on the outer edges of the cluster (which, hopefully, will happen some day).

Look at this... I think this is good by any European standards of a skyline . In fact, I think this is a strong 3rd after Frankfurt and La Défense (sorry Warsaw and Madrid, not to mention all others)
image hosted on flickr

Coming back to the City again... well, actually I think it was a big mistake to start building skyscrapers there in the first place. There are enough historic buildings to form a distinctive historic skyline without any modern monsters. Also, the surrounding transport infrastructure (especially roads) are inadequate. Building Swiss Re or even The Shard/LBT in or near Canary Wharf probably would have created an unrivaled modern skyline in Europe... but oh well, there will be two separate ones none of which will be serious contenders to Frankfurt or LD.

Last edited by Pansori; June 7th, 2009 at 06:36 AM.
Pansori no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #986
Baboulinet

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
No, just because You said midrise is a building between 50 and 150 meters, that is kinda childisch thing to do so i called You a boy, Warsaw has nothing to do with it.
wow ! this guy has THE official definition of a highrise !
But i agree , it's so coll for you to say that warsaw has 3000 high-rise !
Baboulinet no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #987
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

image hosted on flickr

source: fliqr
goschio no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #988
antigoon99

Likes (Received): 31

[QUOTE=Pansori;37882566]
Coming back to the City again... well, actually I think it was a big mistake to start building skyscrapers there in the first place. [QUOTE]

I totally agree with this...
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #989
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

Excuse me for the offtopic, really...
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #990
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidacXavier View Post
Say you do not know Spain, neither you nor parcdesprinces. Of course, Spain is not Germany or France (I give thanks that this is so), but we have what you wish. You know how many Germans living in Spain? And English? Only in Valencia, more than 100,000 English and 60,000 Germans, fleeing from his "spectacular" countries.

The Spanish health is recognized as the best in the world: free and universal. Education is free and universal. Our pension system is one of the best of the world (pensions paid exclusively by the state, depending on the amounts and years of contributions). The unemployed receive unemployment benefits, according to the time quoted, equivalent to 60-70% of their gross salary, paid by the state.

We are the first European country in number of kilometers of highways and rail lines of high speed, in addition to being built. We are the first European country in renewable energy production (solar and wind).

In this crisis, our banks have not suffered the same as those of France, Germany or United Kingdom. Opel is German, and their situation is terrible. Germany has a GDP at -6.1% in the first quarter of this year (-2.9% in Spain). France has not exceeded 3% of GDP growth over the past 10 years (several years Spain has been above 4%). The poorest regions of Germany are poorer than the poorest in Spain. Spanish income per capita has surpassed Italy and is very close to moving to France. In Spain there are 8 regions (half of all), with an income per capita above the average for the European Union. Such is the case, the second region with the highest income per capita in France, would be the sixth in Spain. What is the main problem in Spain? The previous government (Aznar), chose a growth model ruinous for the country, based on construction without control, once the current crisis arrival, he sent many people into unemployment, especially foreigners (remember that Spain is the country Europe with an increased number of foreigners, with 12% of the total population, about 5,500,000, mostly Moroccans, Romanians and South America, cheap labor and low skilled, who have paid before the crisis, due to the majority worked in construction). Spain is a country not just organized. We have our faults, as is evident, and our commitment is to continue improving. But Spain is a young democracy (30 years) and were subjected to 40 years of dictatorship (1936-1975)), and nobody helped us, we did not have any Marshall Plan. It is true that the entry into the European Union has helped us a lot (especially with German money), but we were able to manage). I give a lot of anger that Spain should be associated only sun, beach, bulls or flamenco. And that's just a tiny part of what it really means Spain. We are a Latin country with a different character to German or French, but not worse. Spain isn't Romania (with all due respect to Romanians), or Malawi. Spain is a modern country, which lives very well, where they came from over 4 million foreigners in the past 10 years to work (more than any other European country), and many live well (Germans, Swiss, Dutch, French, British ...). Our salaries may be lower than those of other countries, but we won fairly well (I won 34,000 euros a year as head of a small supermarket). In Germany maybe laugh, but for Spain, where everything is cheaper in generally, in other countries, is enough.

Greetings from Spain
Those Germans living in Spain mostly come back after a short time since they lack the quality of life, many do confound their holiday times with real life which is much harder in Spain (less money for more work). And the very most are retired people who prefer a warm climate in winter over our frosty climate! That is why we call Spain the "German Retirement House" This is what gives Spain a bit of money also - several billions each year, not considering that France, Britain, Italy and Germany are the main sponsor of the billions of subsidiaries for your agriculture in Andalucía!
You may be the ones with the most under construction because you have a huge recover potential. Since France and Germany had their 1st class infrastructure long before you started to build any infrastructure! And considering that Spain's area is much huger than the Germany just means it SHOULD have much more km of highways etc...
You are NOT the 1st in renewable energy - and remember who built the Spanish wind parks and solar energy parks... It was Germany and it's money!
If you consider Spain a cheap country, you make me laugh - many things in Spain are much more expensive than here in Germany - and all that with lower income.
What you say about your health system is simply a lie! It is not THE best not even ONE OF THE best, it is average. Sorry to tell you that. Health care here is free also. And compulsory also for those who have no work. Don't forget that after 3 years, Spaniards get no more aid from the government and land in the streets.
The poorest regions of Germany are NOT poorer than Andalucia or other poor regions of Spain, sorry to wake you up!
The poorest regions of Germany represent a much better average than Spain as a whole. Because outside Madrid, Spain is VERY poor!
And believe me, I like Spain, my sister-in-law is Spanish and I have a friend who works in Madrid as an architect (he is married with a Spanish woman who doesn't want to live in Germany because she is glued too much to her family!).
And the growth or not growth of an economy is only relevant in emreging markets like Mexico or China. Every growth for a completely developed economy is growth.
And your racist "argument" of the foreigners ruining your economy sounds just like Hitler's "The Jews and gypsies ruined our country".
Your whole post is full of racism, bashing and arguments without any proves! It is hilarious! Grow up and learn to love your country as it is and not as would like it to be!
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #991
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizmo1337 View Post

Ok,well your opinion is your opinion at the end of the day.But i don't Canary Wharf misses height at all.235 meters is taller than anything in Paris or Warsaw.
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #992
Baboulinet

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Because outside Madrid, Spain is VERY poor!
hum ... who is the racist ? spain has a better HDI than Germany ...
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index)

Quote:
Ok,well your opinion is your opinion at the end of the day.But i don't Canary Wharf misses height at all.235 meters is taller than anything in Paris or Warsaw.
Yeah you right , but CW is like LD : fat and boxy ...
Baboulinet no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #993
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

stop this discussion, otherwise this will be closed!

back to the skylines - spot the difference(s)

Last edited by HD; June 7th, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
HD no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #994
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartezjo View Post
Why do you spread lies? It was stated before that Warsaw has 15 highrises + 2 proper skyscrapers (+200m). Otherwise prove your statement.

We can say exactly the same thing about London's skyline, some self-criticism please.

I really don't like nor understand the anti-warsaw/anti-polish themes lately in this thread.

ps. Sorry for my poor English

I said there must be allot of poles on this forum.How the hell is that anti-polish.I love some of the new proposals for warsaw but i feel at the moment,London is better.I'm far from anti-polish.Are you stupid or something?

Baboulinet:What do you mean when you say London is fat & boxy.
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #995
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27251

developed Spain inhabitant investing money in living standtarts, infastruckture:

After all he is is one of thoose:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
Those Germans living in Spain mostly come back after a short time since they lack the quality of life, many do confound their holiday times with real life which is much harder in Spain (less money for more work). And the very most are retired people who prefer a warm climate in winter over our frosty climate! That is why we call Spain the "German Retirement House"
I think its the same with the british. Living in Spain is not everywere like El Arenal -
But Barcelona is for me the most beautifull city in Europe, And in my list, where I like to live in Europe Barcelona is in third place behind Hamburg and Dusseldorf.
To compare. Berlin and Paris are in last places

okay i quit here and back to topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
stop this discussion, otherwise this will be closed!

back to the skylines - spot the difference(s)
the weather in the first picture is better

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; June 7th, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Ji-Ja-Jot está en línea ahora  
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #996
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboulinet View Post
hum ... who is the racist ? spain has a better HDI than Germany ...
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index)

Yeah you right , but CW is like LD : fat and boxy ...
HDI HohlbirnenDeppenIndex?
Real purchasing power 2008:
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #997
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
image hosted on flickr

One of the greatest Frankfurt aerials I have ever seen!!!!
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #998
elkabel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
image hosted on flickr

in this foto frankfurt lools like new york in the past

elkabel no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #999
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabel View Post
in this foto frankfurt lools like new york in the past
No NYC looked definitely much better than already!
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #1000
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
Those Germans living in Spain mostly come back after a short time since they lack the quality of life, many do confound their holiday times with real life which is much harder in Spain (less money for more work). And the very most are retired people who prefer a warm climate in winter over our frosty climate! That is why we call Spain the "German Retirement House" This is what gives Spain a bit of money also - several billions each year, not considering that France, Britain, Italy and Germany are the main sponsor of the billions of subsidiaries for your agriculture in Andalucía!
You may be the ones with the most under construction because you have a huge recover potential. Since France and Germany had their 1st class infrastructure long before you started to build any infrastructure! And considering that Spain's area is much huger than the Germany just means it SHOULD have much more km of highways etc...
You are NOT the 1st in renewable energy - and remember who built the Spanish wind parks and solar energy parks... It was Germany and it's money!
If you consider Spain a cheap country, you make me laugh - many things in Spain are much more expensive than here in Germany - and all that with lower income.
What you say about your health system is simply a lie! It is not THE best not even ONE OF THE best, it is average. Sorry to tell you that. Health care here is free also. And compulsory also for those who have no work. Don't forget that after 3 years, Spaniards get no more aid from the government and land in the streets.
The poorest regions of Germany are NOT poorer than Andalucia or other poor regions of Spain, sorry to wake you up!
The poorest regions of Germany represent a much better average than Spain as a whole. Because outside Madrid, Spain is VERY poor!
And believe me, I like Spain, my sister-in-law is Spanish and I have a friend who works in Madrid as an architect (he is married with a Spanish woman who doesn't want to live in Germany because she is glued too much to her family!).
And the growth or not growth of an economy is only relevant in emreging markets like Mexico or China. Every growth for a completely developed economy is growth.
And your racist "argument" of the foreigners ruining your economy sounds just like Hitler's "The Jews and gypsies ruined our country".
Your whole post is full of racism, bashing and arguments without any proves! It is hilarious! Grow up and learn to love your country as it is and not as would like it to be!
I expect a serious correction on your part. Because if you do not, I'll understand it very well represent the "superior" Aryan. Your racist comments should be cut immediately by a moderator and ask if you do not apologize immediately expel forthwith the forum.

Spain is much more than Madrid. Madrid 40 points higher than the European average in income per capita, but is that the Basque Country is over 35, 25 in Catalonia, 30 in Navarre, Aragon 10, 15 in Rioja, Cantabria 5, the Balearic Islands at 20. .. I could go, or we could speak of the tremendous "wealth" of the former communist Germany, right? Whose income per capita is at the level of Andalusia, which you think is so poor.

Note that Spain has little relevance in the world, which is the largest investor in South America, ahead of the United States.

Talking about Italy. Spain has overtaken Italy in GDP per capita. Southern Italy is much poorer than the south of Spain. And, fortunately for my country, Spain isn't Madrid. There are perhaps other countries, like France, where Paris is all. Its income per capita is almost double that of the next richest region, which does not occur in Spain, luckily.
I'm sick of hearing associated with poverty, when it is completely untrue. My comments about immigrants are not racist, but I am just saying that they are the first hit by the crisis. I am a strong supporter of immigration, as demonstrated by my government, I support wholeheartedly. In Spain we do not have Berlusconis or anything like that, and the extreme right is negligible. Can you say the same?
And no, the Germans who come to live in Spain do not only by the sun. So do it in your country, the richest in the world, can not live well with the pension they have. The only topic that Spain is sun, is one of the biggest lies in history. In northern Spain (Galicia, Cantabria, Asturias, Basque Country ...), it rains more than anywhere in Germany, and not living from tourism, of course. And if we are so poor, why our life expectancy is greater than that of your fellow Germans? By the sun ... Spain is building over 1,500 km of high-speed lines at present, so that next year, almost double the number of miles to the second European country. And I hope the matter ends here. Of course, for my part is finished. I do not intend on becoming a radical chauvinist, and my wish is to become increasingly like your form and standard of living. But not at your arrogance, that seems unfortunate. Greetings.

Closed Thread

Tags
berlin, european union, la défense, london, paris, rotterdam, skyline, warsaw