daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #1021
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

Likes (Received): 1160

Warsaw

Last edited by Darhet; June 8th, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Darhet no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #1022
Fizmo1337

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
True about the City of London... We'll have to wait for all current projects to get completed to make it something closer to what could be a proper skyline.
ok (y) I still think they should put everything in Canary Wharf. It's not possible probably but if you watch it purely skyline wise it would be the best option.

Quote:
Canary Wharf though, is a better (and slightly underrated I would say) example. It's dense, tall (one tower of 235m, two towers of 200m and a bunch of shorter ones), very well organized and generally a good looking highrise cluster. A rather exemplary implementation of a modern skyscraper district.
I don't know why but it doesn't look like 235m Maybe because it doesn't stand out much but still... good height anyway

Quote:
The only problem I see with CW is that, in fact, it's too dense. La Defense perhaps wouldn't be that miuch bigger but buildings there are just farther away from each other while in Canary Wharf they are very close and thus block each other when looking from a distance. That would not be a problem if even more towers would be added on the outer edges of the cluster (which, hopefully, will happen some day).

Look at this... I think this is good by any European standards of a skyline . In fact, I think this is a strong 3rd after Frankfurt and La Défense (sorry Warsaw and Madrid, not to mention all others)
image hosted on flickr
I don't think it's too dense though. It looks great like this but indeed a little bit more space would make it better and not so 'packed up'.
I saw some projects to expand Canary Wharf to the east which would make it a more 'grown up' skyline. At the moment it's ok but quite small. Put 2 or 4 towers out and you don't have much left.

Great pic from Canary Wharf though. Maybe I'll change my mind. It looks modern and the towers fit in nicely in Canary Wharf. In Warsaw you see they need to fill up the big gaps (which will happen within 5 or 10 years). It will be interesting what will exactly happen in Canary wharf and London in general.

For European standards it's definately a great skyline.

Quote:
Coming back to the City again... well, actually I think it was a big mistake to start building skyscrapers there in the first place. There are enough historic buildings to form a distinctive historic skyline without any modern monsters. Also, the surrounding transport infrastructure (especially roads) are inadequate. Building Swiss Re or even The Shard/LBT in or near Canary Wharf probably would have created an unrivaled modern skyline in Europe... but oh well, there will be two separate ones none of which will be serious contenders to Frankfurt or LD.
agree

Let's say Warsaw and London (Canary Wharf) is on the same level for me now.
Fizmo1337 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1023
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6863

I don't know if I can put Warsaw at the same level. For the time being I would put Canary Wharf above Warsaw. Unlike Warsaw CW is a well-planned and purpose-built business district with the idea to look good in the skyline too which is why it has the tallest tower in the center and shorter ones surrounding it. In fact, it has some resemblance to Singapore which has got a very compact (perhaps not much bigger than CW) skyline yet it is one of the most iconic and best skylines in the world. Another little problem with CW though is the boxyness... as someone noticed buildings are indeed too boxy and lack some character.

And that picture is taken from Victoria Dock (where ExCeL is located) and per my understanding is the best location to see the CW skyline. Also that slanted-top building is not in Canary Wharf but blends into the skyline perfectly.
Pansori no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #1024
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

London and Paris are unbeatable with urban World City flair in Europe!!!
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1025
elkabel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

I don't know if I can put Warsaw at the same level. For the time being I would put Canary Wharf above Warsaw. Unlike Warsaw CW is a well-planned and purpose-built business district with the idea to look good in the skyline too which is why it has the tallest tower in the center and shorter ones surrounding it. In fact, it has some resemblance to Singapore which has got a very compact (perhaps not much bigger than CW) skyline yet it is one of the most iconic and best skylines in the world. Another little problem with CW though is the boxyness... as someone noticed buildings are indeed too boxy and lack some character.

And that picture is taken from Victoria Dock (where ExCeL is located) and per my understanding is the best location to see the CW skyline. Also that slanted-top building is not in Canary Wharf but blends into the skyline perfectly.
i dont know why but always peaple who lives in england says that warsaw is worse than london
dont u like poland??
elkabel no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1026
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27257

People living in Poland say, that Warzaw is better than london. Don't you like England? People in France say, that Paris is better than Frankfurt and people in Germany say that Frankfurt is better than Paris. I think we have less German and French users in this forum, then users from Poland, UK, Spain- so Frankfurt is the real winner and Paris is second (although it is not second in my list)

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; June 8th, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #1027
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6863

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabel View Post
i dont know why but always peaple who lives in england says that warsaw is worse than london
dont u like poland??
I don't know why. Maybe because of bad food or weather? Or fat women? It makes people angry and they start bitching about Poland

To be serious I like Poland very much but when it comes to skylines I just try to be as objective as I can. Besides, I believe, I am actually able to be objective on the matter since neither of the major European Skylines (Frankfurt, Paris/La Defense, Madrid, London, Warsaw, Rotterdam) are my hometown or even my home country. Being an 'outsider' helps and my opinion is based purely on what I see in photos or what I have seen in reality. I live in London at the moment but this is about the only thing that it means to me. It has no effect on my opinion of how good London's skyline is whatsoever.

What I believe though, that Polish formers tend to be slightly over-patriotic and biased while voting on similar matters. I understand that everyone has got a right to love their country but in this situation it doesn't give any desired positive effect but rather show that some people from a certain group are tending to be biased thus provoking others to look at it with a pinch of salt.
Pansori no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #1028
sasa_taisa
Hardcore Gamer

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboulinet View Post
la defense

so beautiful.....my vote's for Paris definetely!
sasa_taisa no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #1029
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2551

Despite my patriotism it'd be just foolishness not to appreciate Frankfurt (definitely no.1) and LaDefence (No.2, due to consistent planning and density). Warsaw is no.3, but no.1 in my heart of course London has many nice scrapers but lacks density and some real central cluster. I think that for next 10 years Warsaw and London will battle for the 3rd place
"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #1030
elkabel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

I agre. London maybe has more skyscrapers but there are in 2 clusters. Warsaw has 1 main cluster and few highrises in the rest of city. And that is why warsaw is better or maybe on the same level with London ( i tell this with heavy heart )
no1. is Frakfurt but Paris with LA defense is coming closer and maybe some day...

Last edited by elkabel; June 9th, 2009 at 03:16 AM.
elkabel no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #1031
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4205

Frankfurt
image hosted on flickr

source: flikr

highrise from streetlevel:
image hosted on flickr

source:fiqr
goschio no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #1032
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4205

edit
goschio no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #1033
bOrN2BwILd
wE LiVe to DiE...

Likes (Received): 816

definitely PARIS!
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1034
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11011

A very little contribution from Milan

Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab87 View Post
foto by obliot

Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymino View Post
Here a future view...

[IMG]http://i43.************/302ov46.png[/IMG]
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #1035
Rachaque
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

First of all - this is my first post on this forum so: hi everybody

Second - in my opinion:

1. Frankfurt
2. Paris
3. London/Rotterdam/Warsaw

I'm very impressed with Rotterdam - I have known that it has nice skyline but I was surprised how dense it is.

On the other hand - I am little dissapointed from what I've seen on the pictures of London. I thought it has financial district that should be compared with LaDefense rather than Warsaw but I was wrong. But it's obviously unfair to claim that Warsaw has better skyline, mainly because of aforementioned by someone lack of planning in Warsaw city centre. However with new towers such as Rondo 1 - Warsaw definietly deserves equal position with London.
Rachaque no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #1036
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

La défense (birth of the skyline)

1988 (la Grande Arche)

La Défense....nowadays.

Last edited by parcdesprinces; June 10th, 2009 at 03:40 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #1037
antigoon99

Likes (Received): 31

very nice, thanks for the overview! very nice to see la défense grow
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #1038
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

Without a doubt, end up in the skyscrapers projected or u/c, the skyline of Paris will be the best in Europe (if not already, that the latest pictures posted are impressive). And London is on track. As this continues, the reign of Frankfurt last bit.
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #1039
Joka

Likes (Received): 1859

What exactly is tunnelled under La Defence? Two highways and a train track? I think La Defence is a great example of how cities should be planned*, Paris overall for that matter.

* I mean the infrastructure, buildings and city space, more residential development in LD couldn't hurt.
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #1040
lokinyc
chek ur hed

Likes (Received): 3

to answer your NYC question, those towers on the right are River Place 2.

Closed Thread

Tags
berlin, european union, la défense, london, paris, rotterdam, skyline, warsaw