daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1161
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Milan and North Italy is the commercial/business center of Italy since many years ...

so, whats new now ?!

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1162
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27385

countach, you overrate milans projects

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; June 29th, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1163
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2221

In this forum, feel that apart from Germany, there is nothing (at least for the german). Despise the other countries and cities where they don't realize they only have one city to exhibit, Frankfurt. The rest isn't worth anything (not Berlin). I find very interesting project for Milan, whose economy and financial significance is similar to that of Frankfurt. Similarly, all projects of Paris, will turn the french capital in the city with the most beautiful and spectacular skyline of the European Union. Why is that in Germany, with a GDP growth of -7%, it will be very difficult to build skyscrapers ...
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1164
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by egramsb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaas View Post
Rotterdam

Last edited by xlchris; June 29th, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
xlchris no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #1165
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidacXavier View Post

Last edited by Ji-Ja-Jot; June 29th, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #1166
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
In this forum, feel that apart from Germany, there is nothing (at least for the german). Despise the other countries and cities where they don't realize they only have one city to exhibit, Frankfurt. The rest isn't worth anything (not Berlin). I find very interesting project for Milan, whose economy and financial significance is similar to that of Frankfurt. Similarly, all projects of Paris, will turn the french capital in the city with the most beautiful and spectacular skyline of the European Union. Why is that in Germany, with a GDP growth of -7%, it will be very difficult to build skyscrapers ...
This is simply a lie. At least most Germans here respect Rotterdam, London and PAris and also gave votes to Warsaw. It is more the Spaniards who bitch around here making CTBA as their steady contribution to this thread and even bashing others.
And even with a growth of -4 to -5% there were old towers brought up again like Bahn Tower which rose from 80m to 210m, the PWC Tower which was supposed to have 185m and is at 204m currently. Marieninsel (230m), long time out of discussion, is now back and new designs are being put on track again:

Not to forget several other towers which turned out taller than expected and projects being extended and / or built earlier than expected. Don't forget that LOCAL economy is not overall economy and several parts of Germany do not suffer so much from the recession, some firms do even benefit from it!
And building in a recession is cheaper than in times of economic booms. Public institutions do invest heavily into infra-structure and contruction.
But this is not the first time you attack Germany trying to childishly provoke any anti-German ressentments and hoping to see German anti-Paris or whatever comments. Most of us like Paris' and London's skyline. You are just a little kid wining because it doesn't get enough attention!
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #1167
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2568

Warsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sławek View Post
Oto Warszawa z mostu gdańskiego

"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #1168
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

The buildings of Warsaw have a great design! I also love that old skyscraper which makes Warsaw look so unique!
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #1169
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9944

I think there is only one EU competition: between Paris and Francfort skylines (+ Moscow and Istanbul for the European one) !!
London is a special case because its skyline is not impressive while the Greater London has many highrise buildings...

The other cities don't compete in the same category !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
I think Milan will have a hard stand if it wants to have the same building activity as London or Paris...
Surely the impact will be more visible in Milan as it will have 3 (?) new buildings taller than the current tallest, while building in dense La Défense area doesn't have such a huge impact on the skyline.
That's what I meant in my last post !

------------------------------------------------------------------------

@DidacXavier : You know, it is the same for each European country, I mean there is one city in each country which has real skyscrapers : the economic & financial Capital of the country (most of time) !!
I think if Paris will have, according to you, the best skyline of UE (if it's not already done, according to me ),and if there are so many projects:
It's because Paris area is the richest region of the continent, with the best GDP per capita in Europe (which is higher than the Dutch one, for example) and the 5th one in the world for a city !!
The growth of Paris/Ile de France is also the best of Europe (Demography and GDP).....

So, the growth of a whole nation for a great financial district isn't relevant :
Wich is relevant is the growth per city.

That's why Paris, London and Francfort already have many skyscrapers + many projects (Milan is an exception, I admit) !

Others pics of Paris (again, I know..) !

nowadays:

Future:

On the left, Jean-Michel Wilmotte's project for Signal tower wich will be built, apparently, because its investors seem to want it (approved in april) :
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaEL- View Post

Levallois-Perret (u/c)

Issy Les Moulineaux (proposal, Herzog & Meuron)

Clichy/Levallois (u/c)

Issy Les Moulineaux (proposal, Loci Anima & Hasegawa)

Issy Les Moulineaux (proposal, Jacques Ferrier)

........ etc
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #1170
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

paris future looks definitive imperessive. perhaps more impressive than frankfurts future. definetley more imperessive than milan
but if it looks beautifull, too is a subjective question. i think not really.
instead of beautifull you can say "interesting"
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #1171
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
This is simply a lie. At least most Germans here respect Rotterdam, London and PAris and also gave votes to Warsaw. It is more the Spaniards who bitch around here making CTBA as their steady contribution to this thread and even bashing others.
And even with a growth of -4 to -5% there were old towers brought up again like Bahn Tower which rose from 80m to 210m, the PWC Tower which was supposed to have 185m and is at 204m currently. Marieninsel (230m), long time out of discussion, is now back and new designs are being put on track again:

Not to forget several other towers which turned out taller than expected and projects being extended and / or built earlier than expected. Don't forget that LOCAL economy is not overall economy and several parts of Germany do not suffer so much from the recession, some firms do even benefit from it!
And building in a recession is cheaper than in times of economic booms. Public institutions do invest heavily into infra-structure and contruction.
But this is not the first time you attack Germany trying to childishly provoke any anti-German ressentments and hoping to see German anti-Paris or whatever comments. Most of us like Paris' and London's skyline. You are just a little kid wining because it doesn't get enough attention!
Sincerely, and without any encouragement from being anti-German (which I am not), sometimes I feel (maybe I'm wrong) that all Germans who write in this thread, to disregard some areas, especially southern of Europe. And contrary to what you say, the economic situation does affect the construction (which we tell ourselves), because private investors are required to build according to buildings. And if not, we can see how many projects have been canceled (for example, the Chicago Spire). Here in Spain, are now to us several skyscrapers in Bilbao, 170m; in Seville, the Torre Cajasol, 180m. ;In Benidorm, 200m. and 145m. ;in Madrid, 105 and 125m. In Barcelona, 140m ... But many projects have been delayed due to the crisis: in Valencia, the Torres de Calatrava (310, 260 and 220m.) and the PAI Grau (2 buildings of 200m, and another 5 between 100 and 150m) ... Ah! Incidentally, I am an economist, so, lessons, just.

Greetings
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #1172
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji-Ja-Jot View Post
very good. it seems the crisis has little effect on the skyscraper construction in the city.
HD está en línea ahora  
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #1173
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59321

Didac: So, your point being?

By the by... You're an economist?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #1174
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59321

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Italians seem pretty conservative regarding tall buildings.
Which is a good thing. At least for other cities than Milan.
Old European cities don't need skyscrapers. Only current skyscraper centers such as Paris, Frankfurt, Rotterdam, London or Warsaw should be extended. I'm serious.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #1175
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
sometimes I feel (maybe I'm wrong) that all Germans who write in this thread, to disregard some areas, especially southern of Europe.
Yes, you are definitely wrong! I never did that. To generalize everything is a bad idea, by the way.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1176
vcoco
london86

Likes (Received): 76

Milan current situation

I don't think Milan will have the best skyline by 2015 but one of the best for sure
[IMG]http://i40.************/23sayh2.jpg[/IMG]
vcoco no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #1177
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

From the last pic I think there are even SIX towers that will exceed Pirelli's height! I like especially the cluster with the curved one on the right side!
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1178
vcoco
london86

Likes (Received): 76

One question.
Why Liverpool and Birmingham are in this poll?

They can have an "OK" skyline but honestly in the EU there are better ones.

Barcelona, Naples, maybe even the Milan's current one and some other ones for me are better.
vcoco no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #1179
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7483

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Which is a good thing. At least for other cities than Milan.
Old European cities don't need skyscrapers. Only current skyscraper centers such as Paris, Frankfurt, Rotterdam, London or Warsaw should be extended. I'm serious.
Depends on the circumnstances. In smaller historical cities there isn't probably much demand for skyscrapers. But anyway, I think there's nothing wrong in building highrises in these cities, as long as it isn't near to the historical core and not built massively.
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1180
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcoco View Post
I don't think Milan will have the best skyline by 2015 but one of the best for sure
okay. of course milan skyline will be 2015 better than today. but I think its useless to say in the future it will be better than that one, and that one, and that one. It was already said, that other cities have their projects, too. And even 2015 Milan will not in a serious competicion with europes top players, today. And by the way, very often the final result of a project looks not so good, like on the renders. In 2015 there will be a new thread and then we will see, if milan is one of the best, or a candidate for the second-skyline thread. Time does not stand still and the future will show us
Perhaps we schould start a thread, "proposed skylines in Europe 2015"...

Closed Thread

Tags
berlin, european union, la défense, london, paris, rotterdam, skyline, warsaw