daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1201
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
You are welcome! I know that these areas are almost never shown here. I think it is because they are not of the most beautiful areas and they are mostly midrise and highrise and no real skyscrapers.

Which I think it's a shame. Highrise estates (especially if they're office buildings) can be such as important to a city's economy as skyscrapers. And they are also part of the skyline.

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #1202
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post

Which I think it's a shame. Highrise estates (especially if they're office buildings) can be such as important to a city's economy as skyscrapers. And they are also part of the skyline.
Coming from Wiesbaden or the airport, Bürostadt really appears along with the central skyline. When you come from Kassel/Friedberg, you get lots of buildings along with the main skyline and going further to the airport you have the skylines on both sides of the highway. This is why normally they should be considered! You are right!
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1203
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Rotterdam again, taken from the Gerbrandytoren (367m);
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCrunch View Post
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM   #1204
EuroMaster
Illustrateur

Likes (Received): 4227

Just another picture of Rotterdam, underneath the Brienenoordbrug: a tall bridge in the Ring Road.

Taken by Imbyp

[IMG]http://i41.************/11u8c4i.jpg[/IMG]

Looking into the future. The viewing point is close to the new soccer stadium for 80 000- 105 000 visitors, rising up at the edge of the river.

[IMG]http://i42.************/29kw7zb.jpg[/IMG]

At the moment Frankfurts' is my favorite! Followed by Canary Wharf.

Last edited by EuroMaster; July 1st, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
EuroMaster no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:09 AM   #1205
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countach View Post
However i don't understand why you react to other opinions like that. I love all Europe, and when i see that they are doing something good into another European city i am just happy.
oh, I think you missunderstood me. I did not write that I think, Milan, or Milans projects are bad. It was not my target to bash you or Milan. Many European cities are still investing billions of Euros in development and infrastructure although there is a crisis. Milan is not a single player on this field. Thats what I mean, when I say, you overrate it. In fact, some of Milans projects I really like, some others not, but that is just subjective. Don't feel attaked by me. I give you a hug

peace
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1206
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

I hope the new bridge will look like that Euromaster!
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1207
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
At the moment (and also in future) Paris and London beat Frankfurt in terms of highrise numbers, but don't have an overall quality like it (which makes frankfurt the current #1 for me).
The best future skyline might depend on the real number of projects that actually will be built. Paris has lots of nice projects but they seem to have some megalomanic dubai appearance -esp. in design (what I don't like that much).

Didac says he is not "anti-german" xD
Look at his recent posts on german cities in the "rate our skylines" section ..
First: do you appreciate that you care how I Skylines of cities in Germany or Belarus? Is it so important to you?

Second: I have seven years working in a heavily german company installed here in Spain. And I have plenty of fellow germans. And I have to say that almost everyone, when they arrived in Spain, came with a preconceived idea that Spain was humiliating for us spaniards felt, basically, we were North Africa, we were very poor, beyond Madrid (even someone has said), and even some that people thought was going down the street dressed as a matador and flamenco. Obviously, over time Spain have discovered a very different from that imagined, and almost none of them want to return to their country. For something to be ... I have no problem with either Germany or the germans. Only those who exude arrogance for all his pores, in the belief that Germany is the beginning and the end of the world. But that also happens to the french, and many spaniards... I don't think anybody is better than anyone, and each country has its own characteristics and peculiarities. I have never been in Germany, so do not judge them for anything beyond the photos and information to appear online. What we do is to judge those who I think are wrong to value an entire country like Spain which, remember, is the eighth world power, and whose income per capita is higher than that of Italy and almost the same as of France (according to Eurostat, Spain is three points from France and six from Germany). Therefore, I think that some comments have gone in a wrong direction, from my point of view. Likewise, if some of mine have also been wrong, I do apologize to all those who have felt offended
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM   #1208
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

I doubt what you say. Because NONE of the Germans have those stereozypes you mention. Obviously you are dissociating from time to time!
Most Germans know Spain very well since it is the second most visited country by Germans! Every year you receive more than 10 million Germans in Spain and I am sure many of them know what Sapin is like. If you make such nonworthy stupid comments it only proves that YOU feel inferior in some way. Because NOT A SINGLE GERMAN I KNOW has these stereotypes of Spain and Spaniards. This is pure bs!
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM   #1209
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

If not you believe it is your problem. To me I do not care. But the truth is that I have many German colleagues (working in Lidl Spain), who thought Spain was nearly a third country, and that you only associate Mallorca / Ibiza, the bulls and flamenco. Even many are surprised that snow in my country (I swear). Many have an image of Spain based on the Andalusian villages in a semi-desert country, and we are all bajitos and brown. And we think in many parts of the world yet. For example, in United States, Spain associate with Mexico. I was in New York a couple of years ago, and many people did not know that Spain was in Europe (that it's true). I do not say that the whole world thinks so. I do not believe that all Germans go with shorts and suspenders (although some of the German tourists who come to Spain to give genuine pity as dress). I do not make stereotypes of any people or nation in the world. But there are many that do.

In any case, since this thread is another thing, and to close any kind of discussion (I will not say that you make stupid comments), I repeat, I apologize if that comment offended anyone.

Oh, by the way: I do not feel inferior to you, of course. More than anything, because I do not have the square head.
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM   #1210
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27257

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidacXavier View Post
For example, in United States, Spain associate with Mexico. I was in New York a couple of years ago, and many people did not know that Spain was in Europe (that it's true).
don't worry. German exchange studends are asked in the US, if we have aready television and toilets.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM   #1211
Joka

Likes (Received): 1859

[IMG]http://i42.************/29kw7zb.jpg[/IMG]

That tiny strip of land would be a nice location for an iconic statue.
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM   #1212
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58031

Didac: What's your ******* point? This thread is about skylines, not stereotypes or nationalist bullcrap.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM   #1213
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 913

Quote:
First: do you appreciate that you care how I Skylines of cities in Germany or Belarus? Is it so important to you?
I don't really understand that sentence..
I don't care about what you think but your statements about Germany sound very generalized.

Quote:
Second
Man, I don't really give a damn. I like Spain (and especially the great city of valencia! ) as well as Germany, where I live at the moment.
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM   #1214
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 913

Valencia:

image hosted on flickr

by Luigi FDV (flickr)

Frankfurt:

image hosted on flickr

by (flickr)
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:59 AM   #1215
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countach View Post
I think that there is no other city that can invest all those billions euros in the next 4 or 5 years.
Wrong !!

Paris:

32 billions for public tranports of the "Grand Paris"..and its "Métrophérique"

Grand Paris, A new idea... which is not realy new in all major cities of the world....Paris has never changed its size since the 19th century

Some other examples of private investments in new buildings :

Hermitage Plaza (La défense): 2,5 billions invested by a Russian firm.
Tours Collanges (Levallois): 1 billion invested by "petrodollars" of the Gulf.
Tour Generali (La défense): 500 millions invested by an Italian firm & a French firm.
Tour Signal (La défense): 600 millions invested by several spanish firms (and there are troubles because of the crisis , anyway I don't like this project)
Tour Phare (La défense): 1 billion invested by a french firm
Microsoft (europe, middle east & africa) headquarter (Issy les Moulineaux) : 500 millions invested by an italian firm, rented by an American firm.

etc etc.....

------------------------------------------------------------

@DidacXavier : You said that the income per capita is almost the same in Spain than in France but you forgot the 17% of unemployment in Spain (9% in France).................

About you anti-Germanism or anti-who you want (I call that racism)..... Be happy, you don't live in the first destination for tourism in the world (Paris AND France) and one of the first for immigrants since many decades (even from the European North Africa, I mean: Spain of course , as you said ) !! ....and...have you ever heard me bashing stupid tourists or spanish immigrants.. ??? NO ! If you were french............ I think you might be really racist... Fortunately you're not French !!!

About stereotypes and clichés made by some uneducated people (americans or not): Be happy, you are not French.. because :

you know, we are dirty, proud/arrogant (OK, maybe true), anti-war (we were right about Iraq ), very poor of course, Paris is a village (located somewhere along med. sea), of course we don't know the elecricity, we eat frogs and/or snails every day, we are anti-american of course, we are rude, if our country is living: thanks to the tourism, we don't have any nuclear weapons and any army, we spend our days in the "cafés"....because we are alcoholic and we don't work, we drink all our wines before to sell them to the rest of the world, we have more than 3 cafés/bars per inhabitants ,we have established/created nothing, we don't have any cinema industry and no industry of anything, we don't have any singer except Edith Piaf, BUT we have invented the fries (sorry for you Belgium ), we are stupid with our useless metric system, we are always in strike whatever the reason why, there is a relgious war in our suburbs, our democracy is a joke (because we still have a king), our Liberty Statue is a copy of the real one , we don't have any city except Paris (our biggest village )... etc etc etc etc etc AND we are a communist country of course (you know welfare state=communist )!!!!!

Last edited by parcdesprinces; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:35 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:58 AM   #1216
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

No need for all that cheap talk.

P.S. Everybody knows that if Paris and France didn't exist, the world wouldn't exist...

For christ's sake.

Last edited by PortoNuts; July 2nd, 2009 at 03:04 AM.
PortoNuts no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #1217
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
I don't really understand that sentence..
I don't care about what you think but your statements about Germany sound very generalized.

Man, I don't really give a damn. I like Spain (and especially the great city of valencia! ) as well as Germany, where I live at the moment.
This is the result of using Babelfish for international communication!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM   #1218
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
P.S. Everybody knows that if Paris and France didn't exist, the world wouldn't exist...
No, it would exist, but it would be a bit different I think ...This the same for many country, don't worry , a world without Germany for example, would be different also (whether Didac likes it or not) !
Without these two nations EU wouldn't have been created, for example.......
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1219
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Wrong !!

Paris:

32 billions for public tranports of the "Grand Paris"..and its "Métrophérique"

Grand Paris, A new idea... which is not realy new in all major cities of the world....Paris has never changed its size since the 19th century

Some other examples of private investments in new buildings :

Hermitage Plaza (La défense): 2,5 billions invested by a Russian firm.
Tours Collanges (Levallois): 1 billion invested by "petrodollars" of the Gulf.
Tour Generali (La défense): 500 millions invested by an Italian firm & a French firm.
Tour Signal (La défense): 600 millions invested by several spanish firms (and there are troubles because of the crisis , anyway I don't like this project)
Tour Phare (La défense): 1 billion invested by a french firm
Microsoft (europe, middle east & africa) headquarter (Issy les Moulineaux) : 500 millions invested by an italian firm, rented by an American firm.

etc etc.....

------------------------------------------------------------

@DidacXavier : You said that the income per capita is almost the same in Spain than in France but you forgot the 17% of unemployment in Spain (9% in France).................

About you anti-Germanism or anti-who you want (I call that racism)..... Be happy, you don't live in the first destination for tourism in the world (Paris AND France) and one of the first for immigrants since many decades (even from the European North Africa, I mean: Spain of course , as you said ) !! ....and...have you ever heard me bashing stupid tourists or spanish immigrants.. ??? NO ! If you were french............ I think you might be really racist... Fortunately you're not French !!!

About stereotypes and clichés made by some uneducated people (americans or not): Be happy, you are not French.. because :

you know, we are dirty, proud/arrogant (OK, maybe true), anti-war (we were right about Iraq ), very poor of course, Paris is a village (located somewhere along med. sea), of course we don't know the elecricity, we eat frogs and/or snails every day, we are anti-american of course, we are rude, if our country is living: thanks to the tourism, we don't have any nuclear weapons and any army, we spend our days in the "cafés"....because we are alcoholic and we don't work, we drink all our wines before to sell them to the rest of the world, we have more than 3 cafés/bars per inhabitants ,we have established/created nothing, we don't have any cinema industry and no industry of anything, we don't have any singer except Edith Piaf, BUT we have invented the fries (sorry for you Belgium ), we are stupid with our useless metric system, we are always in strike whatever the reason why, there is a relgious war in our suburbs, our democracy is a joke (because we still have a king), our Liberty Statue is a copy of the real one , we don't have any city except Paris (our biggest village )... etc etc etc etc etc AND we are a communist country of course (you know welfare state=communist )!!!!!
You don't need to tell that to didac: He is learning resistent.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1220
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
No, it would exist, but it would be a bit different I think ...This the same for many country, don't worry , a world without Germany for example, would be different also (whether Didac likes it or not) !
Without these two nations EU wouldn't have been created, for example.......
This is true. But it would be a very other also without Britain and Spain. Don't forget the second conquest of America. After the Vikings have left it, the Spaniards were those who discovered it back. Not puposedly, sure, but they did.

Closed Thread

Tags
berlin, european union, la défense, london, paris, rotterdam, skyline, warsaw