daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favourite skyline: cast your vote!
Frankfurt am Main - Germany 532 32.92%
Rotterdam - the Netherlands 199 12.31%
London - UK 230 14.23%
Paris - France 380 23.51%
Warsaw - Polen 275 17.02%
Voters: 1616. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM   #1221
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Let's get back with some pics

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:09 AM   #1222
Countach

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Wrong !!

Paris:

32 billions for public tranports of the "Grand Paris"..and its "Métrophérique"

Grand Paris, A new idea... which is not realy new in all major cities of the world....Paris has never changed its size since the 19th century

Some other examples of private investments in new buildings :

Hermitage Plaza (La défense): 2,5 billions invested by a Russian firm.
Tours Collanges (Levallois): 1 billion invested by "petrodollars" of the Gulf.
Tour Generali (La défense): 500 millions invested by an Italian firm & a French firm.
Tour Signal (La défense): 600 millions invested by several spanish firms (and there are troubles because of the crisis , anyway I don't like this project)
Tour Phare (La défense): 1 billion invested by a french firm
Microsoft (europe, middle east & africa) headquarter (Issy les Moulineaux) : 500 millions invested by an italian firm, rented by an American firm.

etc etc.....

------------------------------------------------------------

@DidacXavier : You said that the income per capita is almost the same in Spain than in France but you forgot the 17% of unemployment in Spain (9% in France).................

About you anti-Germanism or anti-who you want (I call that racism)..... Be happy, you don't live in the first destination for tourism in the world (Paris AND France) and one of the first for immigrants since many decades (even from the European North Africa, I mean: Spain of course , as you said ) !! ....and...have you ever heard me bashing stupid tourists or spanish immigrants.. ??? NO ! If you were french............ I think you might be really racist... Fortunately you're not French !!!

About stereotypes and clichés made by some uneducated people (americans or not): Be happy, you are not French.. because :

you know, we are dirty, proud/arrogant (OK, maybe true), anti-war (we were right about Iraq ), very poor of course, Paris is a village (located somewhere along med. sea), of course we don't know the elecricity, we eat frogs and/or snails every day, we are anti-american of course, we are rude, if our country is living: thanks to the tourism, we don't have any nuclear weapons and any army, we spend our days in the "cafés"....because we are alcoholic and we don't work, we drink all our wines before to sell them to the rest of the world, we have more than 3 cafés/bars per inhabitants ,we have established/created nothing, we don't have any cinema industry and no industry of anything, we don't have any singer except Edith Piaf, BUT we have invented the fries (sorry for you Belgium ), we are stupid with our useless metric system, we are always in strike whatever the reason why, there is a relgious war in our suburbs, our democracy is a joke (because we still have a king), our Liberty Statue is a copy of the real one , we don't have any city except Paris (our biggest village )... etc etc etc etc etc AND we are a communist country of course (you know welfare state=communist )!!!!!
Sorry, i was meaning public money
Countach no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:20 AM   #1223
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 912

Graet R'dam pics, xlchris! With one or two buildings in the 200m range this city would be able to fight for the podium!
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM   #1224
Countach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji-Ja-Jot View Post
oh, I think you missunderstood me. I did not write that I think, Milan, or Milans projects are bad. It was not my target to bash you or Milan. Many European cities are still investing billions of Euros in development and infrastructure although there is a crisis. Milan is not a single player on this field. Thats what I mean, when I say, you overrate it. In fact, some of Milans projects I really like, some others not, but that is just subjective. Don't feel attaked by me. I give you a hug

peace
ok...preace, don't worry The problem of internet is that sometimes it is not easy to understand the attitude of people.

Btw, my chart is this:

1) Frankfurt: i just love it, since the first time i have been there years ago it is my favourite European Skyline (and one of my fav in the world)

2) Rotterdam: very interesting, i like that it is very tipical and different from the others

3) London: very cool, this is what i mean to be a "City"

4) Madrid: For sure one of the most promising for the future

5) Warsaw: With some taller buildings would be perfect, but i like it the same so much

6) Paris: Difficult to explain, i dont like so much when you choose an area near the city and you start to built skyscrapers, i like something more spontaneous. And then skyscrapers don't fit my idea of Paris. I don't know how to explain, but some cities don't need skyscrapers. The same with Rome, for example.

7) Birmingham-Liverpool: Honestly they have nice skylines, but before them we should put many other European cities. Naples for sure and also Barcelona
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:57 AM   #1225
sebvill
Mr.Br*gthside

Likes (Received): 18066

Rotterdam...WOW!!! spectacular pictures.
sebvill no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #1226
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countach View Post
Sorry, i was meaning public money
The €32 billions for "Grand Paris" will be payed with public money (10bn or less from the Goverment and the rest payed by local collectivities)....

Quote:
6) Paris: Difficult to explain, i dont like so much when you choose an area near the city and you start to built skyscrapers, i like something more spontaneous. And then skyscrapers don't fit my idea of Paris. I don't know how to explain, but some cities don't need skyscrapers. The same with Rome, for example.
This is your choice, and I understand it, but you're wrong when you're saying Paris doesn't need skyscrapers: Because it does !! The demand in new offices is very high here and Paris is the second city in the world in term of office space (Tokyo is the first):
15 of the world's top 100 biggest multinational companies have their headquarter in La Défense (more in the whole urban area, with also many european headquarters for non-european companies)..

When you know that, it's easy to understand that Paris needs to build some new towers, because the urban area is very dense and not really extensible : So tall buildings are a good answer !
If our towers had been Hotels or resorts Like in Dubai, Ok it would be artificial but they aren't, they are office buildings !

I understand what you mean : "some cities don't need skyscrapers" and actually many many Parisians don't like towers (that's why there are strong anti-towers lobbies here) and many of the 150,000 employees of La défense dislike work in that district !!
But Paris is not Rome, which is not a financial Capital, and I think La Défense , located outside the heart of Paris, is a good compromise.....

Last edited by parcdesprinces; July 3rd, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1227
Countach

Quote:
(that's why there are strong anti-towers lobbies here)
so you have anti-towers lobbies too here the same problem. I don't understand why these people prefer 8-9 floors ugly concrete buildings to modern and nice skyscrapers.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #1228
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7171

If you think your countries have lobbies anti-towers, you don't know my country.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:30 PM   #1229
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1670

No doubt that it is frankfurt...is the best of the whole Europe!the financial centre of continental europe
ElCrioyo está en línea ahora  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1230
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countach View Post
so you have anti-towers lobbies too here the same problem. I don't understand why these people prefer 8-9 floors ugly concrete buildings to modern and nice skyscrapers.
Many european cities are not built with the modern mass transportation infrastructures required for large-tall-dense skyscrapers...

Each 50 floor skyscraper holds at least 2500 people meaning that you have to provide fast and efficient transportation to these places.

Also, Europe has a lot of history and i guess that want to keep their cities more traditional.

If you take a look: a lot of cities in europe that have skyscrapers are those that were destroyed or severely affected by WWI and WWII meaning that they lost most of their old buildings(i.e Rotterdam, london, Warsaw)
ElCrioyo está en línea ahora  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1231
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9710

Yes, true !! But what about Paris (the real first financial centre on the continent) ?????

I have numbers if you don't believe me !

You know, Paris wasn't damaged/destroyed during last WWs.....
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #1232
werner10

Likes (Received): 841

Time for picture's!!!!

Rotterdam by @topaas

by @floki

by @topaas

[img]http://i40.************/2z50snp.jpg[/img]
by @eric offereins

by @tim de bruijn

[img]http://i41.************/2rzw1t1.jpg[/img]
pic from the internet

Rotterdam's skyline

by @tim de bruijn

Last edited by werner10; July 4th, 2009 at 01:11 AM.
werner10 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #1233
Countach

This should be in the poll

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...napoli&page=16
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #1234
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3227

Quote:
But what about Paris (the real first financial centre on the continent) ?????
Perhaps he wrote that because the European Central Bank is in Frankfurt.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #1235
Countach

Quote:
Yes, true !! But what about Paris (the real first financial centre on the continent) ?????
In the middle of the crisis of the finance i would not be so happy about that
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #1236
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

Quote:
Wrong !!

@DidacXavier : You said that the income per capita is almost the same in Spain than in France but you forgot the 17% of unemployment in Spain (9% in France).................

About you anti-Germanism or anti-who you want (I call that racism)..... Be happy, you don't live in the first destination for tourism in the world (Paris AND France) and one of the first for immigrants since many decades (even from the European North Africa, I mean: Spain of course , as you said ) !! ....and...have you ever heard me bashing stupid tourists or spanish immigrants.. ??? NO ! If you were french............ I think you might be really racist... Fortunately you're not French !!!

About stereotypes and clichés made by some uneducated people (americans or not): Be happy, you are not French.. because :

you know, we are dirty, proud/arrogant (OK, maybe true), anti-war (we were right about Iraq ), very poor of course, Paris is a village (located somewhere along med. sea), of course we don't know the elecricity, we eat frogs and/or snails every day, we are anti-american of course, we are rude, if our country is living: thanks to the tourism, we don't have any nuclear weapons and any army, we spend our days in the "cafés"....because we are alcoholic and we don't work, we drink all our wines before to sell them to the rest of the world, we have more than 3 cafés/bars per inhabitants ,we have established/created nothing, we don't have any cinema industry and no industry of anything, we don't have any singer except Edith Piaf, BUT we have invented the fries (sorry for you Belgium ), we are stupid with our useless metric system, we are always in strike whatever the reason why, there is a relgious war in our suburbs, our democracy is a joke (because we still have a king), our Liberty Statue is a copy of the real one , we don't have any city except Paris (our biggest village )... etc etc etc etc etc AND we are a communist country of course (you know welfare state=communist )!!!!!
For me, the issue is finished. Let's keep talking about skyscrapers and skyline, which is what really matters. Moreover, I care very little now. I have twice requested an apology. I will not do more. And I would compare the Spanish economy with the French, but I have no desire to prove anything.

Greetings.

Last edited by DidacXavier; July 4th, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
DidacXavier no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #1237
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 912

My Top 5:

1. Frankfurt

image hosted on flickr

by Validierer (flickr)

2. London

image hosted on flickr

by kpmarek (flickr)

3. Paris

image hosted on flickr

by kpmarek (flickr)

4. Rotterdam

image hosted on flickr

by Jacqueline ter Haar (flickr)

5. Warsaw

image hosted on flickr

by Bart0lini (flickr)
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #1238
Tyron

Likes (Received): 230

my top 1 in europe, as i have no favorite city in terms of skylines:

1. Frankfurt Paris Moscow Rotterdam Warsaw London and all the others...

...but i have a home in frankfurt, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyron View Post
beautiful night shots of frankfurt

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source of all pictures: flickr.com

source: hondaboard.de

source: helifliegen.de
Tyron no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #1239
Kriativus

Likes (Received): 538

Why Liverpool and Birminghan are on the list? Who made such a list like this? An englishman ? It makes absolutely no sense at all. Actually it makes me laugh.
Kriativus no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #1240
LoveAgent.
Need new name...

Likes (Received): 259

LONDON @ NIGHT

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr