daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Shopping Architecture

Shopping Architecture Properly credited photos of retail shops, department stores and shopping malls around the world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #21
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Found it!

Prada Ginza:

Tod's Ginza:

_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #22
Soul_13
Advocatus Diaboli

Likes (Received): 152

In Birmingham UK, The mailbox is the main upmarket shopping centre plus the top floor of the Bullring Shopping Centre including the amazing Selfridges shop.

Mailbox (Harvey Nichols, Armani, Hugo Boss, etc)

image hosted on flickr

Bullring
The Selfridges building

Last edited by Soul_13; October 28th, 2008 at 07:15 PM.
Soul_13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #23
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
銀座

散歩
That's great. Thanks for posting.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #24
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
A|X, GAP and A&F are upscale shopping? Since when?

A case could be made for A|X, but even then..
Um um i was just posting everything i had posted somewhere else. not speaking for gap but stores in NY have more brands and things that you cant get anywhere else. I would post other things but that would turn this page in the wrong direction.
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #25
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Hong Kong's got the best Louis Vuitton store in the world. That one in central Hong Kong looks dynamite. The Chanel store looks good as well. I like the connection they've made with their packaging.

Apple's store in New York is the other stand out. Very cool design.

That's what I was thinking. He's got H&M in there as well. I appreciate most of the photos, but why is he also clogging it up with pictures of non-shopping related things? This is about high end shopping streets. He took up 90% of the entire page! Good grief.

I suppose we won't need any more New York pics in this thread. He's hammered it to death in one swoop. He seems intent in turning this into a pissing contest just like all his other recent posts.

I believe Tokyo spends more on luxury goods than any city, but it's more interesting to see how all of these districts are evolving around the world. It's nice to see that some variations exist and that we're not going to end up with cookie cutter areas that look the same from one city to the next.

All the cities seem to have the big names, but then there's the smaller domestic luxury brands that make each district unique and interesting. Differing architecture only adds to the variation. Good to see.
I copy and pasted a post that i posted from another website(what a coincidence that this topic sprang up) and what are you talking about turning this into a pissing contest. My recent post? what are you keeping track of things i said.
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #26
isaidso
the new republic

No, but I've spent a lot of time on here the past few days. Let's just say I have a good memory.

Quote:
That one is great too. Is the facade all glass, or is that pattern metal?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #27
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:

and the area surrounding Lee Gardens, Causeway Bay.

Obviously on top of this, there are several malls, including the four major ones:
Times Square, Causeway Bay
Pacific Place, Admiralty
IFC-Mall, Central
Festival Walk, Kowloon Tong

On top of this, hotels are also famous for their in-house shopping, e.g., the Peninsula.
They now have Shanghai Tang in the only place in the world where this boutique belongs in and that is Shanghai. They have it in Xintiandi which is one of the high-end areas of the city.

As for the area surrounding Lee Gardens. It has transformed to a high-end shopping district compared to when it was back in the 80s. Lee Gardens used to be a 4 star hotel before it became a tower.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #28
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17784

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
They now have Shanghai Tang in the only place in the world where this boutique belongs in and that is Shanghai. They have it in Xintiandi which is one of the high-end areas of the city.

As for the area surrounding Lee Gardens. It has transformed to a high-end shopping district compared to when it was back in the 80s. Lee Gardens used to be a 4 star hotel before it became a tower.
Sorry, if you're talking about high-end in Hong Kong, Lee Gardens doesn't even come close. Canton Road in Tsim Sha Tsui is home to a whole array of luxury brands that are very popular with mainland tourists. That's likely one of the more prominent high-end parts of the city (the ones in Central are more scattered and are not on one particular street).

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #29
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Sorry, if you're talking about high-end in Hong Kong, Lee Gardens doesn't even come close. Canton Road in Tsim Sha Tsui is home to a whole array of luxury brands that are very popular with mainland tourists. That's likely one of the more prominent high-end parts of the city (the ones in Central are more scattered and are not on one particular street).
I already mentioned Canton Road earlier on my previous posts but only posted a few photos.

Anyway, I was just amazed on how these areas of Causeway Bay became a high end shopping centres. I used to live within this area in Hoi Ping Rd back in the 80s before moving to Wan Chai.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #30
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I already mentioned Canton Road earlier on my previous posts but only posted a few photos.

Anyway, I was just amazed on how these areas of Causeway Bay became a high end shopping centres. I used to live within this area in Hoi Ping Rd back in the 80s before moving to Wan Chai.
Causeway Bay is certainly not a high-end shopping district. It is much more mass market and geared towards the younger generation. That has always been the case historically and even today despite redevelopments (ie. Times Square). Historically, Causeway Bay used to be home to many Japanese department stores, and these certainly weren't high-end, but more middle class (or upper middle class). After the Japanese bubble bursted, many of these disappeared, and Sogo is the last one that remains (I believe Sogo HK is locally-owned and separate from the Japanese entity).

The transformation saw more smaller boutiques take hold, many selling products geared for the younger generation. Although young people have huge spending power, they are certainly not going for high-end stuff. Their incomes are simply not big enough to sustain a whole array of thousand-dollar handbags and accessories. Hence, it is incorrect to associate Causeway Bay with high-end shopping. It is blatantly false.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #31
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Naturally, but Hong Kong's high end shopping is for the most part, concentrated in malls (making an exception for the Landmarneck/Princes' Building area because it's still well connected to the streetscape), and as such, Lee Gardens is just the other 'option', you could say, to Central and Tsim Sha Tsui. It's a bit of a different experience in any case, although I can't imagine too many (other than those living nearby) heading out of their way to Lee Gardens for luxury expenditure.

What Lee Gardens, and for that matter Central, has that Canton Road quite obviously doesn't is car dealerships.

Quote:
Although young people have huge spending power, they are certainly not going for high-end stuff. Their incomes are simply not big enough to sustain a whole array of thousand-dollar handbags and accessories. Hence, it is incorrect to associate Causeway Bay with high-end shopping. It is blatantly false.
University students certainly carry their fair share of luxury items, as do form six and seven students. Younger ones not so much, although there are exceptions naturally. A sizeable proportion of those over 16 do don luxury goods though.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #32
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Naturally, but Hong Kong's high end shopping is for the most part, concentrated in malls (making an exception for the Landmarneck/Princes' Building area because it's still well connected to the streetscape), and as such, Lee Gardens is just the other 'option', you could say, to Central and Tsim Sha Tsui. It's a bit of a different experience in any case, although I can't imagine too many (other than those living nearby) heading out of their way to Lee Gardens for luxury expenditure.

What Lee Gardens, and for that matter Central, has that Canton Road quite obviously doesn't is car dealerships.

University students certainly carry their fair share of luxury items, as do form six and seven students. Younger ones not so much, although there are exceptions naturally. A sizeable proportion of those over 16 do don luxury goods though.
I don't tend to agree with the first statement, as Canton Road and plenty of luxury stores in Central front the street independently. The purpose is exclusivity.

At the same time, the change in the retail landscape into shopping malls is not solely limited to the high-end sector. Poor people shop in malls, too. Malls are all over the new towns these days.

Looking at the array of shops at Lee Gardens, I am quite skeptical that a mall with a Fruits and Passion and Pacific Coffee would be truly high-end. At the same time, Mercedes cars are quite affordable to the middle class these days, and not particularly high-end. I recall the Jaguar dealership is in Wan Chai and Maybach is on the south side.

University students can certainly buy luxury goods. They can spend their whole part-time salary on it. Nothing is stopping them, but is it likely to find a whole assortment of them in their closet compared to the closet of a white collar worker in Central? I don't see Gucci or Ferragamo setting up shop near HK's universities.

Old October 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #33
Manolo_B2
Liberté Égalité Beyoncé

Likes (Received): 829

The official list:

City - Location - Euro/m2/Month

New York - 5th Avenue - 849
Hong Kong - Causeway Bay - 686
New York - Madison Avenue - 679
Paris - Avenue des Champs Elysées - 522
New York - East 57th Street - 509
London - New Bond Street - 461
Zurich - Bahnhofstrasse - 392
Tokio - Ginza - 387
Geneva - Rue du Rhône - 381
Dublin - Grafton Street - 378

Number 3 in Europe: Bahnhofstrasse - Zürich
[IMG]http://i38.************/5n7iw9.jpg[/IMG]

source: http://www.presseportal.ch/de/pm/100...on_services_ag
Manolo_B2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #34
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

I would like to see more of that list...for all of us residents of lesser places. Do you have a link?

I'm a little surprised that Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive isn't in the top 10...
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #35
Manolo_B2
Liberté Égalité Beyoncé

you can find the link right under the last pic!

this is the longest list i've found...
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #36
isaidso
the new republic

What is it a list of? Rents per square metre in Euros?

Old October 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #37
Iemand

Likes (Received): 10

Belgium: Brussels - Louizalaan/Avenue Louise
D&G, Valentino, Channel, Gucci...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Iemand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #38
Manolo_B2
Liberté Égalité Beyoncé

right.... (per month)
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #39
isaidso
the new republic

Thank you. Here's Fortune Magazine's List. I'm not sure what criteria they used, but rents were just one of many factors they considered. Rents on Bloor, for instance, are too low to qualify it on a top 10 list. I'm assuming they also looked at sales per square metre, and possibly the scale of the street. Is it just a block of high end shopping or 10 blocks? Are there 20 high end retailers or 50? These things might explain different rankings from one list to another.

The World's Most Expensive Streets

1. New York, 5th Avenue
2. London, Bond Street
3. Paris, Avenue Montaigne
4. Los Angeles, Rodeo Drive
5. Moscow, Tverskaya Street
6. Tokyo, Chuo Street
7. Toronto, Bloor Street

I'm also not sure why they only ranked their top 7. Here's the link: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...une/index.html

New York

Hot spot: Intersection of 57th Street and Fifth Avenue.
Rent: $1,500 per square foot.
State of the market: Wall Street may be melting down a few miles south, but rents on New York's prime retail corridor, Fifth Avenue between 50th and 58th streets, hit a record high this year. With that kind of overhead, some retailers tend to view their stores here as expensive billboards instead of merchandise movers. But others, helped by a crush of European tourists, are raking it in: Tiffany's Fifth Avenue flagship saw sales of $7,500 per gross square foot last year, 10% of the company's total revenue.

London

Hot spot: Southern third of the street.
Rent: $860 per square foot.
State of the market: Bond Street - which is technically two streets, New Bond and Old Bond - has been a fashion epicenter for wealthy Londoners since the 18th century; today, everyone from Asprey to Zegna is here. Rents have jumped 50% over the past four years, and Harry Winston's recent move to No. 171 set a record at an estimated $1,340 per square foot for its front-of-store space. Chanel and Dolce & Gabbana hold court in the most desirable stretch, but nearby Conduit and Bruton streets are picking up overflow tenants.

Paris

Hot spot: Even-numbered side of the street between Prada (No. 10) and Gucci (No. 60).
Rent: $660 per square foot.
State of the market: The touristy Champs Élysées fetches higher rents, but Avenue Montaigne, where Christian Dior opened his first couture house in 1946, is the crème de la crème when it comes to high fashion: Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Chloé are all here; Dior still maintains its headquarters at No. 30. The street has seen little turnover since 2006, and there are no available stores larger than 2,150 square feet, which has pushed some stores to nearby Rue Saint-Honoré.

Los Angeles

Hot spot: The 300 block between Brighton and Dayton.
Rent: $540 to $850 per square foot.
State of the market: Long before Julia Roberts's famous shopping binge in Pretty Woman, this stretch of Beverly Hills was a fixture, and while rents are up slightly, it's still a relative bargain compared with New York's Fifth Avenue. Stores constantly jockey for better positioning: Mont Blanc is moving to a new space that will triple the size of its façade; Max Mara is relocating too. Newcomers Fred Leighton and Loro Piana will join the strip this fall.

Moscow

Hot spot: Manege Square to the Mayakovskya underground station.
Rent: $500 per square foot.
State of the market: Department store rivals GUM and TSUM have long dominated luxury shopping in Moscow, but Tverskaya Street has become the high-end corridor of choice, with names like Escada and Italian shoemaker Vicini competing for the rubles of Moscow's exploding leisure class. Rents are up 10% to 15%; Muscovites also have a new option, the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton hotel, where tenants like jeweler Carrera y Carrera are said to pay $650 per square foot, the city's highest rate.

Tokyo

Hot spot: The intersection of Chuo and Marronnier.
Rent: $620 per square foot.
State of the market: Department stores once ruled luxury shopping here in the Ginza district, but Japanese tastes have shifted to individual stores, sending rents on Chuo skyward in the past five years. Leasing activity has slowed, but retailers are still seeking a big presence in a market that purchases 40% of the world's luxury goods. Louis Vuitton will soon have three stores in Ginza; Bulgari's new 62,000-square-foot tower houses its largest retail store.

Toronto

Hot spot: Yonge Street to Avenue Road.
Rent: $300 per square foot.
State of the market: You might not think of luxury when it comes to our neighbors up north, but Toronto is one of the fastest-growing markets, and Bloor Street, known as "Mink Mile," has suddenly hit the radar of luxury retailers. That could be because even though rents have increased 50% in the past year, they are still a relative steal, and tenants can pull in $1,500 to $4,000 per square foot in sales. Coming soon: a new Cartier store and Brooks Brothers, which has plans to open a 25,000-square-foot store.

All images and articles are courtesy of Fortune Magazine.

Manolo_B2: In that photo you posted, is that a Swiss firm and what do they sell? It would be nice to see more photos of that street in Zurich.

Last edited by isaidso; October 29th, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #40
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Country Club Plaza, Kansas City

weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote