daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Old November 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #21
Derrv

Likes (Received): 12

The first images of the planned expansion of Elland Road for the possible 2018 World Cup will be available from next week.
Here's a few apparent 'leaked' images, but i just think someone has made these themselves.

However, i don't think the actual plans will be much different to these. The North Stand has got to remain all one tier, couldn't stand it if the gelderd was made into 2 tiers.
Derrv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #22
Bradley Hardacre
Silent but deadly

Likes (Received): 14

The top image above is likely to be nearer the mark for the stands as it's already been announced that the West Stand and Gelderd will be rebuilt to the height of the existing East Stand. The second image does correctly include the hotel/retail/nightclub development that has already got planning permission. I don't think either image has been leaked from the club or bid team though. I would expect much better quality images to have been included in the official bid document.

It's unrealistic to expect any stunning architectural features but I do hope that the West Stand is more than just a mirror image of the East Stand (eg three-tier rather than two) and that the Gelderd is one large tier.
Bradley Hardacre está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #23
deeve

Likes (Received): 0

It will look similar to Old Trafford i would imagine pre 2000 before the East and West Stands added the second tiers. It should look good Leeds United im sure will return to the big time in the next few years. Leeds has no worries in obtaining the nod from the FA. Manchester United, Newcastle United and Leeds United will show London that proper football stadiums are best served up North.
deeve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #24
Briggsy

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
Leeds has no worries in obtaining the nod from the FA. Manchester United, Newcastle United and Leeds United will show London that proper football stadiums are best served up North.
Leeds have plenty of worries about getting the nod, there are alot of good stadiums being put forward for the World Cup and unless Elland Road has a major overhaul it won't be picked. The only good stand is the giant west stand, they need to bring the remaining 3 sides up to scratch to stand a chance.

Hopefully Leeds plans will be unique and won't resemble old trafford of old or any other ground and will keep some character. I hate all grounds being upgrading similar to overs and keeping very very boring!
Briggsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #25
deeve

Im confident that Leeds will do what is required. They have been in this position during the early 80s and bounced back. If Leeds had not have fallen by the wayside they would have probaly had a ground to rival any of europes big sides.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM   #26
TSRJames
Low level nuclear strike

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/arti...247585_1891857

Second image was produced by LCC for use in Sun newspaper - highlighting stands that are to be redeveloped (although not east stand hotel etc.) - New two tier North stand, New West stand and SW corner. Image has been available on WACCOE for a while.

No preferred option has been made.

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR.2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm

"Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result" - James May

Last edited by TSRJames; December 1st, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
TSRJames no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM   #27
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 33

Not a particually huge fan. The thing about great stadiums is that theres a variant in the stand style and architecture. This seems pretty samey.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:37 AM   #28
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 365

I'm surprised how big the capacity will turn out to be after the expansion. We're looking at a larger crowd in Elland Road than St. James Park - and that thing's huge!

What's the legroom like? What else needs to be modernised in the stadium?
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM   #29
Paf_82

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
I'm surprised how big the capacity will turn out to be after the expansion. We're looking at a larger crowd in Elland Road than St. James Park - and that thing's huge!

What's the legroom like? What else needs to be modernised in the stadium?
Has to be 50k plus as they are bidding for quarter final or later stages. There's no reason why we could not fill it as long as we are back in the premiership and doing well (fingers crossed). The two c/l seasons we had an average attendence over the season of 39,000+ which was sold out nearly every game. C/l matches the capacity was reduced because of the bigger advertising boards.

As for the legroom - it's terrible in all parts of the ground and even the newest bits like the east stand are pretty sparten inside with the facilities basic. The east stand is 18 years old so not exactly new and has only had the odd lick of paint.

I don't see the issue with the above images. The images are only a proof to the FA that there is room at the ground to expand and which stands would be made bigger. The design will copy the east stand to make things fit but that's about it. Things like the oval light windows won't make it through to final. Why would they need sunroofs in the north stand when the sun comes from the other direction.

The reason they want a two tier kop is all ££ though. They can fit more boxes in that way. That annoys me.
Paf_82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM   #30
Gherkin
actual gherkin

The more boxes they have the more money they'll get! ££ gives Leeds a better chance of being back in the Premiership. Every English club needs to whore itself out with all these boxes, advertising, sponsorship deals etc to have enough cash to compete on the world stage.

Don't get light confused with sunlight- The oval cut outs let more natural light into the ground - if they were on the south side they'd just create odd shadows on the pitch.

The new design reminds me of Old Trafford a few seasons ago when it used to have those funny corners on the inside of the stadium.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM   #31
TSRJames
Low level nuclear strike

There are is also the option of two-tiers corners at the Geldard End.

Single Tier: http://twitpic.com/rtpjz

Two Tier: http://twitpic.com/rtplr
http://twitpic.com/rtpcy

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR.2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm

"Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result" - James May
TSRJames no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:21 PM   #32
Paf_82

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
The more boxes they have the more money they'll get! ££ gives Leeds a better chance of being back in the Premiership. Every English club needs to whore itself out with all these boxes, advertising, sponsorship deals etc to have enough cash to compete on the world stage.

Don't get light confused with sunlight- The oval cut outs let more natural light into the ground - if they were on the south side they'd just create odd shadows on the pitch.
Aye I realise the common sense side to it, i'm surprised there hasn't been mention yet of a third small tier like they have at Wembley or Arsenal to see club seats to. I suppose that comes in the future as more detailed plans are revealed. I guess i'm secretly wanting something along the lines of Anfield or Dortmund. Anything that puts money into the team is good news though. I'd be interested to know what the FIFA regulations are that they have mentioned as a reason for 2 tiers. Surely that rules out the new Anfield??
Paf_82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM   #33
Gherkin
actual gherkin

I'm not sure about the two tier thing - it's unlikely that a new Anfield stadium with a giant Kop would be ruled out because it's only one tier... There's got to be some common sense from FIFA.

I've wanted to see a Dortmund style stadium in the UK for years - not sure if Leeds is the place to put it though!

This stadium's interesting - the tiers look like the large stand of Elland Road and it's capacity (52,000) is about what Elland Road would be after expansion. This one's got a retractable roof though!

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium..._schalke.shtml

Edit: may as well put this here too - my photoshop of the new roof continuing around the 3 developed stands.

I'd guess 60,000 capacity!

Last edited by Gherkin; December 2nd, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:57 PM   #34
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Received a good, detailed letter back from the bid leader of the Leeds 2018 World Cup bid. This has all the details of the redevelopment proposals that I haven't found anywhere else

I've taken my name and address out, for obvious reasons!

(my photoshop submission he was referring to is in my post above)
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM   #35
RobH

Likes (Received): 1589

Well, kudos for them for their detailed reply. That's pretty impressive and gives us a lot to get our teeth into.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:20 PM   #36
deeve

The Fa want it so why dont they fund it. The FA cant get a lot right. Wembley debacle upteen England managers know bidding for another world cup. Plymouth,Leeds,Sheffield Wednesday,Nottingham Forrest and Liverpool not swimming with money. This world cup bid is a non starter.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #37
JimB

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
The Fa want it so why dont they fund it. The FA cant get a lot right. Wembley debacle upteen England managers know bidding for another world cup. Plymouth,Leeds,Sheffield Wednesday,Nottingham Forrest and Liverpool not swimming with money. This world cup bid is a non starter.
Why the fuck should the FA fund the building of a redeveloped Elland Road?

Every other club has to finance its own stadium. What makes Leeds special? Why should the FA favour one club? Or even five or six clubs, for that matter?

It's perfectly acceptable for Leeds City council to fund the work. But it would only be acceptable for national government or a national institution, like the FA, to contribute if they were to give just as much money to EVERY other club in the country.

And since that's not going to happen, it would be quite wrong for them to provide funding for Leeds.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #38
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Recent governments have always put money towards stadia redevelopments for World Cups. What makes Leeds special? Well. nothing, apart from it's inclusion in the world cup 2018 bid. The more the FA contribute to Leeds, the better the stadium will look. The FA should contribute to all of the stadium redevelopments for the tournament.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #39
RobH

Likes (Received): 1589

Indeed, and I think that may be the weak link in our bid. Russia and their goverment will put everything into theirs - they won't have problems with stadium redevelopment and will build icons showing off the strength of the new Russia. They are also, in my opinion, our biggest rivals. Saying England's bid's a "non-starter" because of this difference between the bids is way over the top as I think we're joint favourites for 2018, but it is something which could cause FIFA some concern compared to our rivals.
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #40
deeve

The Fa want it so why dont they fund it. I mean the world cup venues that dont meet the requirements. Theres no way we can win the bid if theres not a bottomless pit of money which the USA and the Russians will have plenty of it.