daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles > Metropolitan Forums > The West Side

The West Side West Hollywood | Beverly Hills | Century City | Venice | Santa Monica | Malibu

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Resident

Likes (Received): 3

What is Culver City all about?

I never hear anyone speak of Culver City. I know only of the geography.

I plan on moving there in February, I wanted to move to L.A. but my friend from Denver has a job lined up in Culver and I'm kind of tagging along. I've been to L.A. a few times and absolutely love it, but never to Culver. One of my best friends lives in Hollywood and I'd like to be in walking distance, or at least a bus ride (without many transfers) away from him, but I'm a total rookie with L.A. transit.

Anything inside views would be a great help. I can pretty much get most of that on the web, but hearing it from someone on SSC is much better.

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #2
ChrisLA

Likes (Received): 17

Culver City is a pretty nice city with a pretty decent and growing downtown thats walkable, full of restaurants, a couple of movie theaters, and specialty grocers such as Traders Joes.

Now Hollywood is still a ways from Culver City, but you are close to LAX. I'm also not not sure how much you would have to tranfer to get there. But the good thing is you're close to many of the hot spots in this city (the west side), and real close to Venice Beach, and Santa Monica. All of these areas are pretty easy to reach via public transportation. Culver City also has a major transit center where many bus companies serve, MTA, Santa Monica Big Blue, and of couse Culver City Bus. So you do have many options as far as buses that service the city.

I hope this helps some.
ChrisLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3
croyboy

Likes (Received): 285

culver city is a very good city for walkability, home value on the rise, and local access.

the city is surrounded by los angeles city limits

there is a single culver city bus line to take you to Aviation station where you can catch a free shuttle to the LAX terminals.

there is 2 metro buses you can take to what is really hollywood. one bus through downtown L.A. to union station. one metro bus to the beach. the expo rail line will terminate at culver city (don't know how long you're staying).

like ChrisLA said, there are plenty of places to shop and eat. lots of history... Sony studios used to be the MGM studios where the wizard of oz was filmed long ago. the hotel that all the actors/actresses/munchkins stayed at is still standing in downtown culver city.

very ideal location within l.a.
croyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #4
spartan21

Likes (Received): 23

weeeeeeee im from culver cityy
loll
spartan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #5
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 362

The first time I visited LA someone took me to Culver City and I vowed to never return to what had to be the most boring epitomy of dull suburbia on the planet. Upon returning and living in LA I once again (due to finances) was thrown in the Culver City-Mar Vista-Marina Del Rey abyssmal conundrum. I once again thought seriously about leaving Los Angeles because like you, I chose not to own a car and it was hell!

If you want an urban experience Culver City is basically Andy Griffith's answer to Manhattan. I eventually moved east and thank the gods everytime I visit that Westside choked with traffic hell and ABSOLUTELY NO RAIL area that I found my place over here in Silver Lake. The entire city has opened up to me and much of the county eventhough I don't have a car. Be smart, look on a map and live where good transit(rail + density) exists.

Tip:If you will be car-free/car-lite the place to live is where many on this forum call the "triangle" which I deem the points to be Hollywood to the north, Koreatown to the south and Downtown LA to the east, I'd even throw in Boyle Heights since they will be getting a train next year. Culver City also has a train planned but with the controversey surrounding one of the intersections its supposed opening date of 2010 might be considerably pushed back.

Note: Move w/ your friend to Hollywood you won't regret it. Mostly everything is within walking distance and you got good transit in the area. If not Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Angeleno Heights, Downtown LA, Boyle Heights, Koreatown, Westlake/MacArthur Park, Citywest are places to move to that have decent transit and you won't be so remote. You could also move to satellite cities w/ good transit like Long Beach around the Blue Line and Pasadena around the Gold.

Don't make a foolish decision and end up hating where you live.

Last edited by klamedia; August 29th, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

^ Culver City's getting the Expo Line in summer 2010.
Old August 30th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #7
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ Culver City's getting the Expo Line in summer 2010.
From your mouth to God's ear
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #8
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

I live right next door to Culver City and let me tell you what's really going on. CC is a very clean city with sufficient parking and really close to everything you actually want to see. You can always go to Hollywood (crowded, bad traffic,and not the cleanest place in the city). So you'll just be crosstown from most LA attractions anyhow.

You can party it up on the westside, Hollywood area or even the beach communities but you can always come back home to peaceful Culver City....

Hopefully this has helped out...
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #9
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2002

Peaceful Culver City
city-data
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #10
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

I've always thought of Culver City as being this shitty, neglected part of LA full of old warehouses and numerous power lines. I guess I was wrong.
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Resident

Likes (Received): 3

Thanks everyone!
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:29 AM   #12
ChrisLA

Likes (Received): 17

Resident

Here is a link to a photo thread I posted of Culver City. Of course this only shows the downtown area, but at least you get to see what it looks like. Also this was a few years ago, and the downtown area has become much more popular. Fridays from what I've experienced is pretty busy, along with the local studios, and the lunch crowd its gets pretty busy.

Culver City is also sort of quant for the most part, at least the older parts. Then there is Fox Hills which is also part of CC. It has a totally different vibe altogther. There is a mall (which is going through some upgrades), and the residential area surrounding the mall is fairly dense with more modern condos, and apartments.

Although its dense, Fox Hills is pretty much built for people with cars. Plus many of the residential complexes have a very secluded feel with swimming pools, and a lot of trees. Buses do run all though the area as most stops are usually within a block or two of many apartments in the area. Plus the transit center if going by bus is only about 5 mins away.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=143521

Last edited by ChrisLA; September 4th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.
ChrisLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM   #13
caliblakqt
Left-Coast Stunner

Likes (Received): 8

I will tell you what Culver City is about. Culver City the epitome of what the "typical" Angeleno wants but wont admit. Angelenos want to feel like they live a small town, but still have ALL the amendities of a big city when they walk 5 feet from their doorstep. Live in a secluded estate 20 miles away from the city center and complain about having to drive too far to get to the nearest Tiffany, museum, or cultural event. They want to talk about urban lifestyle and have views of the "big city" but will protest and march down to city hall the moment a highrise is proposed in their neighborhood. They want to talk about alleviating traffic and have lots of mass transit built, but still use their cars and wouldn't be caught dead on public transportation. It's funny... but this is what I like about LA. There is a balance of both types of people (Real Urbanites and Psuedo Urbanites). And thats what makes the Los Angeles landscape so diverse and beautiful. I love it.
caliblakqt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM   #14
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 2002

California Black Cutie? Well put!
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM   #15
Barcelona60
Famous (in my own mind)

Location: Hou, Tx-Sleeping on my star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Likes (Received): 16

Thumbs up The history of CC

When I lived in LA I always thought more for of Culver City as an industrial warehouse district. After reading and reading about its history I found it had far more interesting background than what meets the eye.

I remember always seeing MGM Studios for one thing. See other related topics of CC and get bedazzled as I did.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:13 AM   #16
The Baz
Season Tix Avail

Likes (Received): 5

Culver City is quaint.

It isn't a cosmopolitan mecca or rising hipster community that some would have you believe but it also isn't ghetto and trashy. It's nice and quiet but turning more suburban and almost "Disney" with some of the newer development. The restaurants are getting more expensive but the actual housing quality and prestige of living in CC remains dull.
The Baz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #17
Vangelist

Likes (Received): 0

"rising hipster community"
Vangelist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #18
croyboy

Likes (Received): 285

yessiree bob. those young-uns and their music. j/k

the community was more on the down side just several years ago with no appeal.
better today than ever before. there are still more interesting places to live, but this place isn't bad and definately not going to get you down. i think it's a good first impression for those from smaller communities not wanting to feel too overwhelmed by the big l.a..
croyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #19
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelist View Post
"rising hipster community"
^ Great point Van....

Lil Downtown Culver City has more foot traffic in the evenings than Cheese Hollywood/SilverLake. We are talking about Seven days a week the cinema, eateries, and everything in between is bumping!

I can see myself living in Culver City.
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #20
LAsam
Endless summer

Likes (Received): 13

I could see myself living in Culver City as well. As a matter of fact... I plan on looking at housing there this winter.
LAsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote