daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture > Literature and Languages

Literature and Languages The Great Filipino Photo Contest

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #281
urban Iegend
waraynon

Likes (Received): 93

amen

waray man gud ak kahiara pag gamit hit idoy/iday

Sponsored Links

Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM   #282
carl_vilches21
Raucous

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukid View Post
di ga it. di mangga it suga hit. idoy ngan iday basta manghud nim bis di pa it im urupod (pariente). they use idoy and iday for those younger than they. it doesnt have to be a relative, even sons and daughters are being called idoy/iday by their parents.
I think "pariente" is reffered to as "relatives"..Correct me if I'm wrong.
carl_vilches21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #283
urban Iegend
waraynon

kay diba it urupod = relatives?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:29 PM   #284
mao rong
replay

Likes (Received): 495

urupod and pariente are the same
DILG Gawad Pamana ng Lahi Awardee DILG Seal of Good Housekeeping PNP Best LGU National Literacy Awardee

mao rong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM   #285
urban Iegend
waraynon

sayop ngayan an ak post.. dapat an ak pakiana urupod = pariente

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban Iegend View Post

kay diba it urupod = relatives?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #286
mao rong
replay

Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
sayop ngayan an ak post.. dapat an ak pakiana urupod = pariente
axa ka...
DILG Gawad Pamana ng Lahi Awardee DILG Seal of Good Housekeeping PNP Best LGU National Literacy Awardee

mao rong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM   #287
ijun
Call me Irresponsible....

Likes (Received): 91

"Inday, Inday, nakain ka?
Han kasunog han munyika,
Pito ka tuig an paglaga,
An aso waray kita-a...

Aguidaw-guidaw an bukaw,
Naglulupad-lupad ha igbaw.
Aguidaw-guidaw an sitsit,
Nagsisiritsit...(I forgot the last words heheheh!)"

...one of the popular Waray-waray children rhymes
(as foretold by my grandparents)

...is Historical with Unique Traditions and Colorful Heritage!

ijun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:49 PM   #288
ijun
Call me Irresponsible....

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Younger Brother : Idoy
Younger Sister : Iday

amo ba?
Quote:
di ga it. di mangga it suga hit. idoy ngan iday basta manghud nim bis di pa it im urupod (pariente). they use idoy and iday for those younger than they. it doesnt have to be a relative, even sons and daughters are being called idoy/iday by their parents.

Basically, IDOY and IDAY is commonly spoken by some Eastern Leyteños as referring to a younger boy or girl (in general) and same when you are referring to an elderly man and woman as MANO and MANA respectively. In waray-waray, we don't usually tied-up a psuedonym (whatever you may call it) in referring to a younger brother or sister just like Bulaceños does (e.i. diko and ditse respectively). Being an elder sibling in the family, I usually call my younger siblings by their names but for my younger siblings they replied to me as MANOY or MANAY to show respect as elder brother or sister. But for some elders, e.i. your parents, grandparents, relatives and others, they tend to use IDOY and IDAY to call their attention being generalized nor in referrence to that boy or girl at their own convenience.
Other parts of Leyte and Samar, they're using INTOY and INDAY. Also, BUDOY and UDAY is also common to waray-waray in referring to a younger boy or girl. I'm not sure where these words originated from.
PARIENTE (or Paryente) or URUPOD has the same meaning, PARIENTE is commonly spoken by some Eastern Leyteños while URUPOD is commonly spoken by whole Samareños. I think PARIENTE is in spanish origin that is adopted in our native tongue.

OTHER WARAY-WARAY WORDS REFERRING TO A PERSON NOT RELATED BY YOU (Variation: EASTERN LEYTE)

Stranger : Dayo
Elderly man : Mano
Elderly woman : Mana
Young boy : Idoy : Budoy : Intoy
Young girl : Iday : Uday : Inday
Beggar : Manglilimos or Parag-limos
Homeless child : Bangaw
Neighbor : Amyaw
Friend : Sangkay
Group of Friends : Kasangkayan
Godparents : Ninong / Ninang
Son or Daughter of your Godparents : Ugto
Maid (Katulong in Tagalog) : Kabulig

...is Historical with Unique Traditions and Colorful Heritage!

ijun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:42 AM   #289
Mars Uy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Waray literature

Earliest accounts of this literature date back to 1668 when a Spanish Jesuit by the name of Fr. Ignatio Francisco Alzina documented the poetic forms such as the "candu", "haya", "ambahan", "canogon", "bical", "balac", "siday" and "awit". He also described the "susumaton" and "posong", early forms of narratives. Theater tradition was very much in place - in the performance of poetry, rituals, and mimetic dances. Dances mimed the joys and activities of the ancient Waray.

With three centuries of Spanish colonization and another period of American occupation, old rituals, poetic forms and narratives had undergone reinvention. A case in point is the "balac", a poetic love joust between a man and a woman. According to Charo N. Cabardo, a Waray Historian, the balac retained its form even as it took new names and borrowed aspects of the languages of the colonizers. During the Spanish period, the balac was called the "amoral"; during the American occupation, it was renamed "ismayling", a term derived from the English word "smile." According to a literary investigator, in certain areas of Samar, the same balac form or ismayling has been reinvented to express anti-imperialist sentiments where the woman represents the motherland and the man, the patriot who professes his love of country.

The 1900s to the 1950s

Modern East Visayan literature, particularly Waray, revolves around poetry and drama produced between the 1900s and the present. The flourishing economy of the region and the appearance of local publications starting in 1901 with the publication of An Kaadlawon, the first Waray newspaper, saw the flourishing of poetry in Waray.

In Samar, Eco de Samar y Leyte, a long running magazine in the 1900s, published articles and literary works in Spanish, Waray and English. A noteworthy feature of this publication was its poetry section, An Tadtaran, which presented a series of satirical poems that attacked the changing values of the people at the time. Eco likewise published occasional and religious poems.

In Leyte, An Lantawan, which has extant copies from 1931 to 1932, printed religious and occasional poetry. It also published satirical poems of Bagong Katipunero, Luro, Datoy Anilod, Marpahol, Vatchoo (Vicente I. de Veyra), Julio Carter (Iluminado Lucente), Ben Tamaka (Eduardo Makabenta), and Kalantas (Casiano Trinchera). Under these pseudonyms, poets criticized corrupt government officials, made fun of people’s vices, and attacked local women for adopting modern ways of social behavior..

With the organization of the Sanghiran San Binisaya in 1909, writers as well as the illustrados in the community banded together for the purpose of cultivating the Waray language. Under the leadership of Norberto Romualdez Sr, Sanghiran's members had literary luminaries that included Iluminado Lucente, Casiano Trinchera, Eduardo Makabenta, Francisco Alvarado, Juan Ricacho, Francisco Infectana, Espiridion Brillo, and statesman and first elected Governor of the Province of Leyte, Jaime C. de Veyra. For a time, Sanghiran was responsible for the impetus it gave to new writing in the language.

The period 1900 to the late fifties witnessed the finest Waray poems of Casiano Trinchera, Iluminado Lucente, Eduardo Makabenta, and the emergence of the poetry of Agustin El O'Mora, Pablo Rebadulla, Tomas Gomez Jr., Filomeno Quimbo Singzon, Pedro Separa, Francisco Aurillo, and Eleuterio Ramoo. Trinchera, Lucente, and Makabenta were particularly at their best when they wrote satirical poetry.

Post 1950s

The growing acceptance of English as official language in the country strengthened these writers’ loyalty to the ethnic mother tongue as their medium for their art. The publication of Leyte News and The Leader in the twenties, the first local papers in English, brought about the increasing legitimization of English as a medium of communication, the gradual displacement of Waray and eventual disappearance of its poetry from the pages of local publications.

Where local newspapers no longer served as vehicles for written poetry in Waray, the role was assumed by MBC's DYVL and local radio stations in the seventies. Up to the present time, poetry sent to these stations are written mostly by local folk - farmers, housewives, lawyers, government clerks, teachers, and students. A common quality of their poetry is that they tend to be occasional, didactic, and traditional in form. The schooled writers in the region, unlike the local folk poets, do not write in Waray nor Filipino. Most of them write in English although lately there has been a romantic return to their ethnic mother tongue as the medium for their poetry.

Waray drama was once a fixture of town fiestas. Its writing and presentation were usually commissioned by the hermano mayor as part of festivities to entertain the constituents of the town. Town fiestas in a way sustained the work of the playwright. In recent years, this is no longer the case. If ever a play gets staged nowadays, it is essentially drawn from the pool of plays written earlier in the tradition of the hadi-hadi and the zarzuela.

According to Filipinas, an authority on the Waray zarzuela, the earliest zarzuela production involved that of Norberto Romualdez' An Pagtabang ni San Miguel, which was staged in Tolosa, Leyte in 1899. The zarzuela as a dramatic form enthralled audiences for its musicality and dramatic action. Among the noteworthy playwrights of this genre were Norberto Romualdez Sr., Alfonso Cinco, Iluminado Lucente, Emilio Andrada Jr., Francisco Alvarado, Jesus Ignacio, Margarita Nonato, Pedro Acerden, Pedro Separa, Educardo Hilbano, Moning Fuentes, Virgilio Fuentes, and Agustin El O'Mora.

Of these playwrights, Iluminado Lucente stands out in terms of literary accomplishment. He wrote about thirty plays and most of these dealt with domestic conflicts and the changing mores of Waray society during his time. Although a number of his longer works tend to be melodramatic, it was his satirical plays that are memorable for their irony and humor, the tightness of their plot structure, and the specious use of language.

The hadi-hadi antedates the zarzuela in development. It used to be written and staged in many communities of Leyte as part of town fiesta festivities held in honor of a Patron Saint. It generally dealt with Christian and Muslim kingdoms at war. Today one hardly hears about hadi-hadi being staged even in the Cebuano speech communities of the region.

Fiction in Waray has not flourished because it lacks a venue for publication.

source
Mars Uy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM   #290
carl_vilches21
Raucous

-delete-
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:24 AM   #291
carl_vilches21
Raucous

• Good morning (noon/afternoon/evening): Maupay nga aga (udto/kulop/gab-i)
  • Can you understand Waray?: Nakakaintindi/Nasabut ka hin Winaray? (hin or hiton)
  • Thank you: Salamat
  • I love you: Hinihigugma ko ikaw or Ginhihigugma ko ikaw or Pina-ura ta ikaw
  • Where are you from? : Taga diin ka? or Taga nga-in ka? or Taga ha-in ka?
  • How much is this? : Tag pira ini?
  • I can't understand: Diri ako nakakaintindi
  • I don't know: Diri ako maaram or Ambot
  • What: Ano
  • Who: Hin-o
  • Where: Hain
  • When (future): san-o
  • When (past): Kakan-o
  • Why: Kay-ano
  • How: Gin-aano?
  • Yes: Oo
  • No: Dire or Diri
  • There: Adto or Didto or Ngad-to
  • Here: Didi or Nganhi
  • Front or in front: Atbang or Atubangan
  • Night: Gab-i
  • Day: Adlaw
  • Nothing: Waray
  • Good: Maupay
  • Who are you?: Hin-o ka?
  • I'm a friend: Sangkay ak.
  • I'm lost here: Nawawara ak didi.
  • Maybe: Kunta or Bangin
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM   #292
bukid
Fishful

atara nga hudo.
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #293
urban Iegend
waraynon

ano it? waray man ak makasayud
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #294
urban Iegend
waraynon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_vilches21 View Post
  • I don't know: Diri ako maaram or Ambot
note: mas polite pakinggan ang "diri ako maaram" kaysa "ambot"
Old August 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #295
bukid
Fishful

Quote:

ano it? waray man ak makasayud
kay luga ga it.
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #296
carl_vilches21
Raucous

Sir bukid..Paki translate naman po..
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #297
Mars Uy
BANNED

Quote:
atara nga hudo.
Ustara iton nga hudo gayuray. Asya ito ha Jaro.
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #298
carl_vilches21
Raucous

Ahh.. Sa Jaro pala yan na Winaray.. Teka, Waray ba yan?
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #299
Mars Uy
BANNED

Yes it is. Dun kasi ang 'gayud' parang dinudugtong yan sa sentence para exaggeration.

Example:

a.Mahusayay gayud iton nga babayi.

b.Hala! Nasamaran gayud hin tiniupay an lalaki nga nagdaros ngadto ha plaza.

try to translate guys
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #300
carl_vilches21
Raucous

I think there is no translation for the word "gayud" in English..