daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure Shaping space, urbanity and mobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #521
Tallsmurf

Likes (Received): 8

While I recognise that Boris Island (replace with your desired name here) has many disadvantages, it is the only way that London is going to be able to replace Heathrow with a true world class airport. And it should be able to do this without any direct government investment - just offer it as an investment opportunity to the likes of Qatar and Abu Dhabi - set out a minimal functional specification (say 60million pax rising to 100 million) and let them prepare a business case - say a BOOT scheme with a 25 year repayment. The UK goovernment will have to provide certain infrastrucure including improved rail and road links, but otherwsie it should be self funding.

Meanwhile LHR should become a redelopment zone - its land value inside the M25 with exisiting transport links must be massive - so prepare a master plan including businees, commercial and residential and auction off the site as aseries of packages - again the sovereign wealth funds of Qatar and Abu Dhabi should be very interested and maybe BAA can be compensated by swapping land at Heathrow for equity stake in new airport??

This whole issue needs some blue-sky thinking but could lead to massive regeneration and investment
Tallsmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #522
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 71

This scheme looks great. I support it 100%. I wonder what the chances are. It seems so logical but politics is rarely so proactive...
Old November 21st, 2011, 05:55 AM   #523
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 89

My main issue with this is that there are still plans in place for Heathrow. What are they going to do with Heathrow? Aren't a lot of these plans going to continue to 2030? Or some date like that. Which means that it will all just be wasted if this new airport is built! Why not stop Heathrow expansion now, and build this new airport now. Even then Terminal 5 will be wasted as its only been open a few years! So much money down the drain!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:19 AM   #524
Tallsmurf

Even if Boris Island is given go ahead tommorrow it will take at least 5 years to become operational, in which time LHR will need to stay in operation.

Even after LHR closes, it should be possible to still use the T5 building as with a bit of thought it could be refitted as say a shopping Mall!
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:22 AM   #525
Tallsmurf

Thinking about it, if there are any budding Town Planning or Architecture students out there who are looking for a final year project, how about preparing a master plan for the redevelopment of Heathrow non-airport.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM   #526
RBRJ

Likes (Received): 2

I think that any redevelopment plans for HR in the event of closure, should include a University dedicated to engineering and science much as there is a University of the Arts. This would would provide an anchor and utilise existing skills.
RBRJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:19 PM   #527
flare

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Medway Council say mixing the Liquefied Natural Gas import facility on the Isle of Grain, pictured, with a new airport would be a recipe for disaster
I know it's not LNG, but surely aiports with their large amounts of fuel storage etc know how to mitigate against disaster...?
flare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM   #528
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

If it were redeveloped wouldn't it be smart to keep a residual airport at Heathrow, even if it were just for private/charter flights to the new business district you'd have created.
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM   #529
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemcbuller View Post
If it were redeveloped wouldn't it be smart to keep a residual airport at Heathrow, even if it were just for private/charter flights to the new business district you'd have created.
I would say Farnborough Airport, just 25 minutes up the road from Heathrow, has that sewn up already.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:39 PM   #530
Glom

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallsmurf View Post
Even if Boris Island is given go ahead tommorrow it will take at least 5 years to become operational, in which time LHR will need to stay in operation.

Even after LHR closes, it should be possible to still use the T5 building as with a bit of thought it could be refitted as say a shopping Mall!
Even that is wildly optimistic given the scale of earth work required.

Heathrow isn't expanding, but a lot of investment is going on to improve it, most notably the new Terminal 2.
Glom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:05 PM   #531
streetquark

Likes (Received): 1

They seem to be implying the Thames Hub proposal is Boris Johnson's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRJ View Post
I think that any redevelopment plans for HR in the event of closure, should include a University dedicated to engineering and science much as there is a University of the Arts. This would would provide an anchor and utilise existing skills.
Shame there are so few UK companies to tie it in with apprenticeships and keep those jobs in the UK.
streetquark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:54 AM   #532
mayflower232

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15826464

BBC VIDEO ON THE HUB
mayflower232 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:49 AM   #533
lancelot000

I like the idea, but i would rather Richard Rogers/Foster move over and allow some new talent in.

Stansted and T5 are nice and everything, but i would hope something new and different would happen here, not just another oversized greenhouse type building.
lancelot000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM   #534
potto

Likes (Received): 2082

I dont know its been the ideal of transport hubs for ... 150 years
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:46 PM   #535
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 89

I think that the main transport routes to the airport from other parts of the country outside London e.g. road and rail should bypass London. Getting to Heathrow from Birmingham for example meant changing trains in London or sharing the M25 with the rest of London commuters. The orbital HS rail I think would be important and atleast an outer ring for the north and east sides of the M25, otherwise getting to this new airport would be a nightmare!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #536
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 327

Opinion poll shows 2:1 support for HS2...

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/ind...-hs2-decision/

But opposition to SimCity airport.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #537
arvpart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRJ View Post
Isn't Brunel in Uxbridge a largely science and engineering university? This is in addition to already having one of the world's best science and engineering universities in South Ken: Imperial College.

I suspect in the unlikely event of Heathrow closing, much of the land will be bought for housing/retail developments.
arvpart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #538
mayflower232

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
All options for more aviation capacity, except a third runway at Heathrow, will be considered. Guess that includes Boris Island - a new airport in the Thames Estuary.
Make of it what you will...
mayflower232 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #539
WtS

Likes (Received): 14

Obourne mentioned it in todays speech. So I take it the earliest this thing can start being built is 2020? Ready by 2027-2030? It has to happen either way there is no escaping it.
WtS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #540
Tallsmurf

If they will rule out considering a third runway at LHR then there is only one viable alternative - Boris Island (which is neither an island or Boris's).

All other solutions are merely sticking plasters which will try to keep planes moving while the whole system grinds to a halt.

Tags
london