daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #2721
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
That's really freaky. I thought aircraft weren't allowed over NYC airspace?

Highcliff liked this post
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #2722
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

I knew someone was going to make that comment. All different kinds of aircraft fly up the west side on a consistent basis. It's pretty much non-stop all day and night.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #2723
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

W.T.C. Command Center alterations questioned
BY ALINE REYNOLDS
December 7, 2011

Quote:
| The World Trade Center Command Center is moving its headquarters to W.T.C. Four, according to a recent announcement made by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and confirmed by the New York Police Department.

The decision, which Bloomberg announced at the annual World Trade Center press conference on Sept. 7, came as a surprise to Community Board 1 Chairperson Julie Menin during an interview this week.

“I don’t know why we weren’t notified — we asked to be notified,” said Menin.

Relocating the command center, now situated in Tribeca, to the W.T.C. site is a “questionable” move, she said. “I’d absolutely want to hear more from the Commissioner about this as to why it should be on the site itself. It has to be near the site, because it has to be proximate, but not [directly] on the site.”

Specifically, Menin fears that the command center could become a potential terrorist target if it is located at the redeveloped W.T.C. rather than in its vicinity — citing former Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s widely criticized move to place the then-police command center at 7 W.T.C.

“When 9/11 happened, so many of the top commanders and officers at the site were out of communication with the rest of the field — that was a major issue,” said Menin.

Meanwhile, the command center, which has temporarily replaced the 1st Precinct horse stable on Ericsson Place, is now being scrutinized for what is considered to be potentially unlawful alterations to the building.

“We don’t think the [city Landmarks Preservation Commission] approved it,” said C.B. 1 Landmarks Committee Chair Roger Byrom. “So we sent an e-mail to the [Department of Buildings] and the L.P.C. saying, ‘Can you tell us what went wrong here.’”

L.P.C. Spokesperson Lisi de Bourbon said the commissioners are investigating the matter per the community’s request. “It’s a landmarked building,” she said. “We’re looking into whether a permit would be needed [to make renovations],” she said. “It’s not clear whether you needed one to begin with.”

C.B. 1 member Michael Connolly, president of the condominium at 27 North Moore Street, also raised the issue of noise and lights emanating from the newly constructed stairwell, which has purportedly been a disturbance to nearby residents.

“At the end of the day, I want the horses to come back,” said Connolly. “In the meantime, we need to address quality of life issues created by building a new staircase in the alley adjacent to the windows of a residential building.”

The nearby residents are outraged about it, said Connolly.

“They said, ‘how could this happen?’” noted Connolly.

The residents who complained weren’t available for comment as of press time.

Meanwhile, construction of W.T.C. 4 is well underway, according to Malcolm Williams, construction manager for Developer Silverstein Properties, who recently gave a tour of the tower to the Downtown Express.

Once fully built out, W.T.C. 4 will have a larger floor plate than does W.T.C. 7 but will share other features with its predecessor, such as a study, concrete core; massive, column-free floors; and floor-to-ceiling windows offering panoramic views of the metropolitan area.

So far, the bottom half the building has been leased out: a quarter of it to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and the other quarter to the city, which in addition to the first precinct will house the NYC Human Resources Administration. While office workers will enter the completed building on Greenwich Street, shoppers will access the building via Church Street, according to Williams.

As of late November, steel construction reached 56 stories, while construction of the tower’s outer curtain wall is 32 stories high. Workers are just beginning to install the building’s mechanical systems and elevators.

However the tower’s construction isn’t all that rosy. Williams and a team of engineers met with Liberty Street resident Howard and other local residents who recently expressed angst about pedestrian congestion caused by a sidewalk shed Silverstein erected last summer on the southern side of Liberty Street between Church and Greenwich Streets.

However, the engineers agreed with officials’ previous claims that nothing could be done to accelerate the speed of constructing W.T.C. 4’s southern façade — which, once finished, will eliminate the need for the sidewalk shed.

W.T.C. 3, also being handled by Silverstein, is now above grade by two levels. W.T.C. 2, whose foundations and basement levels will be built out by next September, is guaranteed only seven floors’ worth of financing by the Port Authority until the developer finds a 400,000-square-foot tenant (or approximately 10 floors) for the tower.

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #2724
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
W.T.C. 3, also being handled by Silverstein, is now above grade by two levels. W.T.C. 2, whose foundations and basement levels will be built out by next September, is guaranteed only seven floors’ worth of financing by the Port Authority until the developer finds a 400,000-square-foot tenant (or approximately 10 floors) for the tower.
Isn't it exactly the other way round, that WTC 3 will rise at least seven floors? At least it is stated like this on lowermanhattan.info:

3 World Trade Center (175 Greenwich Street)
"The current schedule builds a podium to the seventh floor by summer 2012"

But good news that they need to find a tenant for only ten floors to continue erecting the building

sorry for being slightly off-topic..
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #2725
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
Isn't it exactly the other way round, that WTC 3 will rise at least seven floors? At least it is stated like this on lowermanhattan.info:

3 World Trade Center (175 Greenwich Street)
"The current schedule builds a podium to the seventh floor by summer 2012"

But good news that they need to find a tenant for only ten floors to continue erecting the building

sorry for being slightly off-topic..
I believe you are right....3wtc to podium level, 2wtc to street level.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #2726
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
I knew someone was going to make that comment. All different kinds of aircraft fly up the west side on a consistent basis. It's pretty much non-stop all day and night.
While it's true flight paths for LGA are over the lower Manhattan airspace, I think this pic was photoshopped. That plane just seems way too low.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #2727
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

Li

Last edited by KenfromJersey; December 9th, 2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: wrong forum, please delete
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #2728
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

The 1WTC thread is that ^ way buddy.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #2729
isdmd10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52

While it's true flight paths for LGA are over the lower Manhattan airspace, I think this pic was photoshopped. That plane just seems way too low.
It's definitely a real photo. It's the perspective that makes it appear that close. You may or may not remember this shot from the news a little while ago. It looks like a near miss but the planes are more than a mile apart.

Old December 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #2730
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 86

is there a particular reason as to why they chose not to make this beautiful building an official supertall? I mean its just 2 meters away...

It seems such a waste for just 2 meters not to be considered a supertall... I will never understand the reasoning behind this...
Valkyre está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #2731
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I 1000% agree with you. The new WTC has numerous epic fails concerning it's height

1WTC designed only as tall as the old 1WTC (North Tower) by roof height = EPIC FAIL
2WTC roof height smaller than the old 2WTC (South Tower) = EPIC FAIL
2WTC pinnacle height smaller than the old 2WTC (South tower) = EPIC FAIL
4WTC 2 meters smaller than the minimum supertall height limit = EPIC FAIL

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #2732
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 86

I dont consider the 1WTC and 2WTC decisions epic fail, i dont even consider them failures. Its a different design paying homage to the old twins.

But 4WTC missing the supertall mark by 2 meters... yeah..I am with you on that... i cant understand why... if it was 10 meters, ok I can deal with it... but 2 meters? If you put a manequin doll on the top of it it becomes a supertall lol

But it is an astonishingly beautiful building...
Valkyre está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #2733
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8512

08 December 2011
image hosted on flickr

by Robert Watson x

image hosted on flickr

by Robert Watson x

kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #2734
WTC 4 Ever

Likes (Received): 0

Kanto, why comment on something that can't be changed? None of the new wtc designs are epic fails, in my opinion they are very good and I can't wait for it to be finished
WTC 4 Ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #2735
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Because not being able to change something doesn't mean that it isn't an epic fail. And the height of the new complex definitely is an epic fail. But I agree with your 2nd sentence. All 4 of the designs are masterpieces. In fact, that is why I'm in the WTC thread, because I think the good aspect of them (their design) outweights with ease the bad aspect of them (their height)

Old December 9th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #2736
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

Managed to times the number of towers by 2- EPIC WIN.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2737
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

I am stunned how long we are having to wait for new steel. This thing is really going slowly now :-(
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #2738
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I 1000% agree with you. The new WTC has numerous epic fails concerning it's height

1WTC designed only as tall as the old 1WTC (North Tower) by roof height = EPIC FAIL
2WTC roof height smaller than the old 2WTC (South Tower) = EPIC FAIL
2WTC pinnacle height smaller than the old 2WTC (South tower) = EPIC FAIL
4WTC 2 meters smaller than the minimum supertall height limit = EPIC FAIL
Kanto = EPIC FAIL!

4 Towers replacing 2 = Win!

2736 ft. in total height replaced with over 4800 ft. (Not including spires) = Epic Win!

Last edited by pnapp1; December 9th, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2739
Kanto
Roof height crusader

pnapp1, you might disagree with me but that is no reason to attack me

But let's go back to something constructive, I dunno the exact date the last steel went up but iirc it was sometimes in the end of October. that's one and a half month, how can that mech floor take that long to build?

Old December 9th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #2740
isdmd10

From what the camera shows the mech floor is really intricate and filled with diagonal support steel, and it looks like they're placing a roof above it as a platform to build up off of.

Tags
new york, nyc, silverstein, world trade center, wtc