daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #2881
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Patti & Sons, where the hell are you??

image hosted on flickr

NYC World Trade Center by doughaslam, on Flickr

Highcliff liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2882
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

My camera's in the shop, but they're putting up a crane on the terrace. So, there's now 3.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #2883
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
This doesn't look good at all. We need Towers 2 and 3 to make this work, otherwise that hole in the skyline is still going to be there.

Kinda morbid, but it reminds me of what the skyline would have looked like if only the South Tower had collapsed and the North Tower had been repaired.
Oh my gosh! I always think about what it would be like if that happened, and you're the first person I've heard mention it! I think there is a good chance 1WTC could've survived, it was hit high up and not at an angle.

What would the memorial look like had that happened is what I wonder? Would they keep it up?

Anyway, getting off topic. I just always think about that.

By the way, I don't think it'll look too bad with only two for now. I like that we get a few different skylines throughout the process. Plus, it'll be fun as hell to watch the 2 new ones come up next to a completed 1WTC and 4WTC.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #2884
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

If the towers 2 and 3 should start now to rise the towers 1 and 4 are finished when 2 and 3 are above the surrounding buildings.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2885
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I don't think towers 2 and 3 are gonna fix this. In my opinion even when the entire new WTC will be completed the skyline will still not look OK. Libeskind's site plan is an epic fail in my opinion
What's wrong with it? Towers 2 and 3 completely fill in the hole in the skyline, what more could you want?
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #2886
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I want to see a new WTC to dominate the skyline as the Twins did. This WTC doesn't dominate the skyline, instead it gently rises from the smaller buildings next to it. Libeskind made sure that none of the new WTC towers will be dominating by giving each of these towers a similarily tall neighbour next to it

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #2887
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Oh ok I see what you mean. Glad to see they raised the cocoon onto the setback floors. Now that they're on office floors again, I bet they'll rise faster than ever!
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #2888
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
Oh my gosh! I always think about what it would be like if that happened, and you're the first person I've heard mention it! I think there is a good chance 1WTC could've survived, it was hit high up and not at an angle.

What would the memorial look like had that happened is what I wonder? Would they keep it up?
I'd like to think they would have repaired 1WTC by deconstructing everything from the impact zone up, then reconstructing it with more modern methods (ie: reinforced concrete core, better fireproofing, better flooring system using I-Beams instead of the thin-trusses used, larger windows, etc.) In the case of the Twins, it would have been more economical to repair the existing building, then rebuild the South Tower along those lines, with the memorial possibly taking up space occupied by buildings 4, 5. Plus, most New Yorkers would have demanded that the other tower be rebuilt.

But I'm not a structural engineer, so I honestly don't know what would have happened. Below the impact zones, the Towers were relatively intact, so it would have made sense to repair them.

Last edited by Chapelo; January 16th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #2889
BritneySpearsRocks93

Likes (Received): 1

I personally think if 1WTC and 3WTC went up first, it would not only dominate the skyline again for a while but also kinda fill that gap in, more the 1 and 4 will anyway. still a beautiful building either way, excited to see the final outcome
BritneySpearsRocks93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #2890
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Hey folks, I have new pics

image hosted on flickr

Free at Last (P1040553_4_5_6_7_tonemapped) by michael.2999.pics, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

WTC Fisheye 2 (P1040543_4_5_6_7_tonemapped) by michael.2999.pics, on Flickr

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #2891
The tallest building

Likes (Received): 5

I have a feeling about continuously contacting silverstein propertes saying I want a pyramid at the top of 1WTC with a spire going up to 2000 ft and for 2wtc to be at least 300 ft taller. As well as 3wtc and 4wtc to be 100 ft higher themselves. That will dominate the skyline.
The tallest building no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #2892
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Well that's obviously not going to happen, maybe there will be a lot of demand by the time tower 5 is built and it can be higher than 1000 feet, breaking the site plan. That's the best hope, otherwise, I think four 3-400 meter buildings do about the same job as the twins did dominating the skyline.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2893
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

After the new WTC is finished, no supertalls are likely to rise there anymore for a long time. The Hudosn Yards and Manhattan West Side are the future sites where 400m+ and even 500m+ towers will rise. So all I care is that they complete the WTC this decade.

Btw nice pics, 4WTC looks so much taller now with the setback floors going up.
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #2894
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

by doughaslam on flickr, Jan 13

image hosted on flickr
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #2895
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
After the new WTC is finished, no supertalls are likely to rise there anymore for a long time. The Hudosn Yards and Manhattan West Side are the future sites where 400m+ and even 500m+ towers will rise. So all I care is that they complete the WTC this decade.

Btw nice pics, 4WTC looks so much taller now with the setback floors going up.
500m? Where?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #2896
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

Since they have started to build the setbackfloors, 4WTC looks kinda unusual.
Well, at least I've got this impression, probably I have to get familiar with this, because the Setbackfloors are going to grow, and I'm sure in two weeks, 4WTC would look strange for me without this floors
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #2897
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
500m? Where?
Well, think like this: since a couple of supertalls in the 400m range are going to be built this decade in NY, it's just a matter of time till some developer with big pockets and ego decides to build something even taller, i.e. a 500m tall (residential / hotel) tower. The very first towers being built on the Hudson Yards are already 300m and 400m tall, respectively. Believe me, once it gets all started, the whole city will develop a momentum.

By 2013 NY will have at least one 500m+ proposal, meaning that I'm expecting a 500m+ residential tower rivaling with 432 Park Ave and others.
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2898
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Let's hope so
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #2899
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
Why is he whiny and childish for giving his own opinion? Lighten up a bit...
Look, this whining about the WTC and how it isn't tall enough is boring to read over and over again, combined with silly 'crying' emoticons over something which has been finalized for nearly a decade now. This is what you are getting, deal with it already. A little logic is in order.
You are not the architect. Many people who are not scraper nuts would prefer if this building was a park. Be happy that we got a building at all and not just a memorial and park.

Kanto, you are not getting what you want in the US or NY anytime soon. This isn't Asia. Roof height crusades are an Asian story, not an American one.

Last edited by aquablue; January 17th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #2900
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Look, this whining about the WTC and how it isn't tall enough is boring to read over and over again, combined with silly 'crying' emoticons over something which has been finalized for nearly a decade now. This is what you are getting, deal with it already. A little logic is in order.
You are not the architect. Many people who are not scraper nuts would prefer if this building was a park. Be happy that we got a building at all and not just a memorial and park.

Kanto, you are not getting what you want in the US or NY anytime soon. This isn't Asia. Roof height crusades are an Asian story, not an American one.
+1
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, nyc, silverstein, world trade center, wtc