daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3101
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

http://gothamist.com/2012/02/16/acci...40.php#photo-1

Ok so from what I can tell, they are hoisting an entire truck in one shot, which is normal. Load was probably around 20 tons.

They use a special bracket system to capture and stabilize the entire load for the long hoist.

Based on the way the steel fell, level, it seems that the main load line on the TG crane parted.

This is so unacceptable its unbelievable.

If you are in the business, you know that you are required to do daily rigging inspections that are submitted weekly. Also, the DOB does weekly/bi-weekly inspections of the tower cranes at WTC. Someone missed a step.

OSHA and DOB will be on site by now. Erection will likely be shut down at the entire site until all the cranes and their wire ropes are inspected and signed off. With the weather right now, they are likely not erecting steel anyways, its raining.

With the financial sitiation DCM is in, this is the last thing they need. Especially on the one building that seems to be going well for them down there.

Thank god no one was seriously hurt. Im betting that the injury was to the truck driver who probably bounced his head off the ceiling of the cab when the load came down.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #3102
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Did you read the Daily News article it linked to?

Sounds like the DOB inspectors are not doing their jobs properly again. They had a "caller" complain last year about a cable rubbing against a bolt on a boom?!?!?!

That must have been someone involved in the actual crane operation to know that. So the actual construction workers have to call in complaints rather than the supposed city inspectors actually checking and finding things!! How messed up is that!!

It appears that the DOB is still not fixed and people's lives are still in danger.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #3103
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

This is really bad I hope the situation isn't so grim but now that I read more about it I wouldn't bet on that. Safety of people is way too important to be underestimated like that

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #3104
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
This is really bad I hope the situation isn't so grim but now that I read more about it I wouldn't bet on that. Safety of people is way too important to be underestimated like that

its not nearly as grim as it could have been, thank god.

they could have killed people on the ground or had a catastrophic crane failure.
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3105
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Here's a bunch more pictures: Dropped Beam WTC4
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #3106
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

Here's is the info you quoted

World Trade Center Crane Drops Beams in Accident

A crane dropped a load of steel beams at the World Trade Center construction site Thursday morning and crushed a truck, witnesses and fire officials said.

A witness at the site said a cable snapped on the crane, perched atop Tower 3, and sent its load of steel beams plummeting from 45 stories onto a truck below. The driver of the truck wasn't injured, witnesses said.

"All of a sudden I heard a woosh, the cable snapped and the entire load came falling," said Matt Bergen, an engineer working at the site. "I originally thought it was another plane, because it sounded just like a plane. I'm amazed it didn't hit the building or anyone on the ground."

One worker at the scene was treated for minor injuries, but not hospitalized, an FDNY spokesman said.
The load fell at 9:58 a.m., the FDNY said.

"A heavy cable just fell down a skyscraper on WTC site and crushed a truck," Luiza_cp wrote on Twitter.
"Something just happened at world trade center. something fell during construction. we heard a big boom. now sirens everywhere," Tweeted EN73.

The MTA suspended 1 train service in both directions between the Chambers Street Station and the South Ferry Station. It was restored a short time later.

Source: http://www.dnainfo.com/20120216/down...ial-onto-truck
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #3107
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablobegood View Post
Here's is the info you quoted
I certainly could have posted the entire article also but didn't want to take up so much space. The way I did it allows others to see the information if they want to but bypass it otherwise. Making it easier for everyone to read these forums.
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #3108
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

The crushed trailer must be the very trailer from which the load was lifted. The driver was extremely lucky if he was in the cab or anywhere near the truck. If you look at the KPI TV Cam, the 8:32am shot shows a different truck with a similar load in the same spot. At 10:36am you see the crushed truck, workers in the street and Zuccotti park, fire trucks, etc. As of 7:22pm, the truck, trailer, and load are still there. I wonder if repairs will need to be done to the concrete slab?
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #3109
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

BTW, another issue here. Won't all the steel that fell be deformed and unusable? And isn't all the steel pre-cut to exact specifications so that they can't simply substitute other steel beams for the ones that are now unusable?

What I am thinking is that beside even any shut down for safety inspections they may lose a significant amount of time on this project for new steel to be fabricated.

Anyone have any thoughts or more precise information on this?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #3110
CupCakeI44

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
BTW, another issue here. Won't all the steel that fell be deformed and unusable? And isn't all the steel pre-cut to exact specifications so that they can't simply substitute other steel beams for the ones that are now unusable?

What I am thinking is that beside even any shut down for safety inspections they may lose a significant amount of time on this project for new steel to be fabricated.

Anyone have any thoughts or more precise information on this?
The steel is not normally cut to size when ordered as this is added costs for the purchaser. It's more common to order/receive lengths between 20'-65' in 5' increments.
Inspectors are going to decide if the Beams are usable (with repairs)... No word yet. If it found to be damaged beyond repair, the will be re-fabricated with new material. It may take time to refab the new pieces, but the other option would be to use "damaged/weakened" material that could potentially produce other "issues" in the future.

Last edited by CupCakeI44; February 17th, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
CupCakeI44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3111
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCakeI44 View Post
The steel is not normally cut to size when ordered as this is added costs for the purchaser. It's more common to order/receive lengths between 20'-65' in 5' increments.
Inspectors are going to decide if the Beams are usable (with repairs)... No word yet. If it found to be damaged beyond repair, the will be re-fabricated with new material. It may take time to refab the new pieces, but the other option would be to use "damaged/weakened" material that could potentially produce other "issues" in the future.
[/FONT]

basically.

given the nature of the iron on T4, T1, and the hub, i dont doubt that the fab shop will have what is needed in order to refabricate the pieces.

without question the EOR will reject these pieces. Anyone signing their name to the project would not allow steel that fell 40 stories into their building. Aside from telling the owner you were going to use it regardless, how could you shoulder that responsibility.

I am sure this building has camber specs in the steel and that they are way off with this fall.

Despite what I wrote above, the steel did fall remarkably even does appear to be intact at a distance. But steel bends, it does not break....

...and on that note, thats the only reason the crane is still on top of the building....
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #3112
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28210

I'm amazed that it landed straight on the truck. There are more friendly ways to return something to the manufacturer.

Luckily no one got hurt.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3113
thejacko5
SSC Addict

only because no one was hurt ...makes me think of this

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #3114
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Here's today's Earthcam picture

image hosted on flickr

And if you zoom in on the end of the east crane you can see what I assume is the frayed cable.

image hosted on flickr

You can zoom in more for a better look at it but the resolution gets really low.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #3115
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

CB1 Hears Silverstein WTC Update

"...At 4 WTC, steel has reached the 62nd floor and will top out at 72 stories early this spring. Its façade has reached the 43rd floor with crews installing the glass panels at a steady pace, while initial ground-level lobby framing has begun and will soon revamp the plain concrete appearance. Approximately 50 percent of Tower 4 has been leased, and the building is expected to open in late 2013..."
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #3116
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
Here's today's Earthcam picture

And if you zoom in on the end of the east crane you can see what I assume is the frayed cable.

You can zoom in more for a better look at it but the resolution gets really low.
I think it's the crane on the right that lost its load, because it's located directly above the crushed trailer, and it currently has only one cable. The crane on the left has two cables, and the long cable probably "splits" into several cables so that they can attach it to loads at multiple points for stability.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #3117
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
I think it's the crane on the right that lost its load, because it's located directly above the crushed trailer, and it currently has only one cable. The crane on the left has two cables, and the long cable probably "splits" into several cables so that they can attach it to loads at multiple points for stability.
correct, it is not the easterly crane, or Crane #1, but Crane #4 (#2 was removed, #3 is on the east wall.), that lost the load.

Today they removed the boom from the crane and I assume they lowered it to the street level.

I do not think this necessarily means that the boom was damaged, but I am sure that they will be reinspecting the entire rig from top to bottom after an incident like this. This includes a visual inspection of the boom's chords and laces (chords form the box shape, laces make the triangles), and a magnetic particle test of the entire boom (to verify welds).

They will then likely bring in a new drum with wire the replacement wire rope already on it.

Not sure if they already removed the drum with the bad rope.

That kind of snap probably caused the boom to lift up from where it was and then fall back down to where the gantry had lowered it at the time this load was lifted. Yikes.

Last edited by thejacko5; February 17th, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #3118
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Thank goodness no one was hurt. Maybe construction can resume soon. Also, that incident shouldn't stop glass work from continuing. Especially that lobby glass, can't wait till that goes in!
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3119
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

They continued installing glass panels today where the crane was on the Church St side. Good to see that work wasn't effected.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #3120
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I certainly could have posted the entire article also but didn't want to take up so much space. The way I did it allows others to see the information if they want to but bypass it otherwise. Making it easier for everyone to read these forums.
well, you treat me like I am trolling this thread with useless information. If you ask me, I prefer 1000 times posting a full newspaper article than a kinda lazy quote
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, nyc, silverstein, world trade center, wtc