daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #3461
isdmd10
Registered User
 
isdmd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 132
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117
And it doesn't matter what you call it, I still refer to it as the Freedom Tower and so does most people in our area and even the nation...
It's a terrible, stupid name which is part of the reason it's officially gone, and just because most people didn't get the memo doesn't make it okay. Calling it one world trade also legitimizes the four world trade name.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #3462
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx
 
Hudson11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Empire State
Posts: 9,518
Likes (Received): 22541

People might even come up with names for the other towers anyway, it's not like we're getting generic north tower and generic south tower this time.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #3463
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
It's a terrible, stupid name which is part of the reason it's officially gone, and just because most people didn't get the memo doesn't make it okay. Calling it one world trade also legitimizes the four world trade name.
One World Trade Center will be One World Trade Center. Media hype was one of the main reason everybody keeps on calling it the 'freedom tower'.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #3464
isdmd10
Registered User
 
isdmd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 132
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
One World Trade Center will be One World Trade Center. Media hype was one of the main reason everybody keeps on calling it the 'freedom tower'.
I was pleasantly surprised that most stories I read called it "One World Trade Center" during the height news the other week.

Also, 4WTC is getting flooring put in on its highest floors. Probably set for one of its last jumps again next week.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #3465
ScanTron
ScanTron
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 481
Likes (Received): 159

I don't like the proportions on this one. It's too fat.
ScanTron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #3466
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
I was pleasantly surprised that most stories I read called it "One World Trade Center" during the height news the other week.

Also, 4WTC is getting flooring put in on its highest floors. Probably set for one of its last jumps again next week.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the next floor steel this week.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3467
BritneySpearsRocks93
Registered User
 
BritneySpearsRocks93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Commack, NY
Posts: 108
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the next floor steel this week.
Agreed. They have been making excellent time with this tower, in fact I feel like maybe after steel tops out they will go even faster and maybe knock a few months or so off completion and open earlier, I can imagine right? They worked quickly even with only one operating crane for a while!
BritneySpearsRocks93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3468
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanTron View Post
I don't like the proportions on this one. It's too fat.
What?? How?
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #3469
fish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanTron View Post
I don't like the proportions on this one. It's too fat.
I can certainly understand your opinion, however; this building is one part of a major complex that clearly defines itself apart from the rest.

In other words, it's not supposed to look like the other towers.
  Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #3470
oli83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 1,684
Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
What floor are we at? 70?
68. Should be two more jumps, next one probably pretty soon..
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #3471
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5170

It's up to the 69th floor.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #3472
dfiler
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 355
Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
And it doesn't matter what you call it, I still refer to it as the Freedom Tower and so does most people in our area and even the nation...
If anything, it should be called the Anti-Freedom Tower. Because of fear of future terrorist attacks, we have lost much Freedom in America. The WTC in particular, exemplifies our move toward fortress like buildings in a police state. Even WTC4 is built like a tank despite it not having full blast walls like WTC1. This isn't the proper place for debating whether the trade off is worthwhile, but it should be obvious that the trade off was made. Hence why the name "Freedom Tower" is laughably wrong, almost to he point of seeming like blind paroting of nationalistic propaganda.

Back on topic...

I'm really liking the reflective cladding as this building gets taller. It seems to be the most mirror-like in NYC. This reflectivity is great when combined with the other types of buildings in the area. If all were reflective glass boxes, some of the magic would be lost. However, with the current diversity, it works out nicely in my opinion.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #3473
fish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
If anything, it should be called the Anti-Freedom Tower. Because of fear of future terrorist attacks, we have lost much Freedom in America. The WTC in particular, exemplifies our move toward fortress like buildings in a police state. Even WTC4 is built like a tank despite it not having full blast walls like WTC1. This isn't the proper place for debating whether the trade off is worthwhile, but it should be obvious that the trade off was made. Hence why the name "Freedom Tower" is laughably wrong, almost to he point of seeming like blind paroting of nationalistic propaganda.

Back on topic...

I'm really liking the reflective cladding as this building gets taller. It seems to be the most mirror-like in NYC. This reflectivity is great when combined with the other types of buildings in the area. If all were reflective glass boxes, some of the magic would be lost. However, with the current diversity, it works out nicely in my opinion.
Good choice of words there.
There is no freedom when you compromise design.
  Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #3474
マイルズ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 157
Likes (Received): 8

A more jump to floor 72, and one more for the parapet.
I remember when I visited the WTC memorial on September 21 of last year and 4wtc looked really huge. I can't imagine how big it must look now.
マイルズ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #3475
fish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by マイルズ View Post
A more jump to floor 72, and one more for the parapet.
I remember when I visited the WTC memorial on September 21 of last year and 4wtc looked really huge. I can't imagine how big it must look now.
The last time I was down there, all you could see were cranes.

I'm in no hurry -- I've seen construction sites many times before.
  Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #3476
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,489

New Steel!!! One more jump left!
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3477
fish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
New Steel!!! One more jump left!
This tower is already visible on the skyline!
  Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3478
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
This tower is already visible on the skyline!
Of course, it's the second tallest building in lower manhattan today!
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3479
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5170

Yes! Level 71 now. Now 922 feet tall to the column splice.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #3480
NewYorkSkyline117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Morris County
Posts: 1,091
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
It's a terrible, stupid name which is part of the reason it's officially gone, and just because most people didn't get the memo doesn't make it okay. Calling it one world trade also legitimizes the four world trade name.
Yes, there is irony behind it because idk where the "Freedom" part is coming from, but you just can't change it, most people call it that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
One World Trade Center will be One World Trade Center. Media hype was one of the main reason everybody keeps on calling it the 'freedom tower'.

It's not going to stop either, it's so easy to say, plus it just rolls off the tongue
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
new york, nyc, silverstein, world trade center, wtc

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu