daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #5381
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

From yesterday. Just imagine when they clean it!

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #5382
WorldTradeCenterKid
WorldTradeCenterKid

Likes (Received): 172

you can already kinda see some office lights in the building
WorldTradeCenterKid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #5383
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1152

Already? It's been 7 years now.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:07 AM   #5384
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5308

Old May 1st, 2014, 11:33 PM   #5385
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...neup-revealed/

World Trade Center’s retail line-up revealed
With deadlines approaching and retailers grumbling about key design element, TRD uncovers most comprehensive list of likely tenants in mega mall

May 01, 2014
By Adam Pincus

Quote:
As the city waits for the new World Trade Center development to open and begin pulsing with office workers, tourists and residents, big egos are clashing behind the scenes over what stores will occupy the massive retail complex.

Brokers told The Real Deal they expected Westfield Group’s 365,000-square-foot, multi-level mall in Lower Manhattan to be a success. But with deadlines nearing, the project is pushing to recruit more high-end tenants, even as some retailers have balked at being underground or expressed concern about a key design feature of the retail space.

The jewel of the massive retail project is a spiny, ethereal-looking Santiago Calatrava–designed structure that will undoubtedly become an iconic addition to the Lower Manhattan landscape. The retail complex includes aboveground space, but the majority of the shopping will be below street level at the 16-acre site.

“I have heard some European retailers don’t want to be underground,” said Robert Gibson, a vice chairman at commercial firm JLL. Nevertheless, “I think it will be very successful.”

To help drum up interest among posh stores, Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour has reportedly been using her status as the grand dame of luxury fashion to convince designers to take space at the project. Sources told TRD that Wintour — whose parent company Condé Nast will be anchoring the office component of 1 World Trade Center — has been making calls and joining tours to convince retailers to sign on for space. Vogue declined to comment.

Despite Wintour’s endorsement, insiders say that some high-end retailers are not biting.

Computer and iPhone giant Apple — which is expected to take space in the project — was frustrated by the giant “ribs,” or columns, that Calatrava included throughout the underground portion of the site. The arching structures are spaced roughly 11 feet apart along the front portion of each store, which has put off some retailers who want to use that space for signage, branding or product display, sources said.

Apple even sought a design variance, but was turned down, said one retail source, who asked not to be identified.

“Do you think [fashion designer] Karl Lagerfeld will be ok with playing second fiddle to an architect?” another retail insider said. “It is all about clashing egos. Those brands [that object to the columns] are not going to open a flagship Downtown and have Santiago Calatrava’s ribs obstructing the view.”

This month, TRD assembled the most comprehensive-to-date list of tenants expected to take space at the project. We also obtained maps of the full retail complex indicating where retailers are likely to plant their flags.

Westfield has been involved in the center since it signed a 99-year lease in July 2001 to control what was then called the Mall at the World Trade Center (see related story on page 62). Analysts expect the new retail space to bring in $2,000 per square foot or more annually, well above the $900 per foot the predecessor mall took in, and putting it among the top-grossing malls in the world.

While brokers said Westfield would not have a problem filling the space, questions remain about what type of tenant mix the project will ultimately achieve, and how much money it will generate for its owner. The firm is currently assembling what insiders say is a solid group of tenants. But so far, brokers said, it lacks the depth of luxury brands amassed by the neighboring Brookfield Place. Still, it remains to be seen how critical luxury tenants are for the project.

Ultimately, Westfield’s goal is for the mall to be “relevant” and a destination in the same way Soho is, said a person familiar with the marketing plans, who noted that the firm wants to draw New Yorkers, tourists and commuters into the complex.

In addition, some said, the tenants at the World Trade Center and at Brookfield Place may actually help one another.

“Collectively, [Westfield and Brookfield] have got to have a broad array of stores, and not every one is going to be a luxury brand. Not everyone can afford a Brioni suit,” said Richard Hodos, an executive vice president of retail at CBRE Group. “The fact that Westfield is going to have some moderately priced tenants is not a bad thing.”

Quote:
Westfield, a public company, has said it expects to have 150 brands at the World Trade Center site mall.

TRD identified approximately 60 tenants that have signed leases, inked letters of intent or are in late negotiations with Westfield. In addition, the magazine also uncovered the location they’re expected to take in the project.

.....The retail complex has four main shopping areas. The first is above ground in 3 World Trade and 4 World Trade along Church Street. But the heart of the retail complex will be Calatrava’s so-called “Oculus,” a two-level, oval-shaped shopping gallery. Two bi-level concourses, one dubbed the West Gallery, and the other called the South Gallery, will branch off of the Oculus.

As TRD reported last month, designer Tom Ford, jeweler Tiffany & Co., and one of the Giorgio Armani fashion brands are expected to take three of the project’s four street-level stores. Tom Ford is likely to take a two-level space in the base of 4 World Trade, and Tiffany and Armani are expected to take two-level locations in the base of 3 World Trade, next door. All three sites have frontage on Church Street.

But some sources told TRD that not all retailers are comfortable with the non-World Trade Center tenants — including Burger King and discount clothing store Century 21 — that are near the project’s street-level space. While the neighborhood is rapidly changing, typically luxury brands do not want to be near brands outside of their peer group.

.....Despite all of the tenants that have signed on, brokers say that on the whole, Westfield has lost the luxury battle with Brookfield Place, which landed a slightly wider range of high-end tenants, including Burberry, Salvatore Ferragamo, Hermčs and Diane von Furstenberg.

Yet late last month, a retail source told TRD that Westfield may have high-end designer Prada lined up, so no one is counting Westfield out.

The project’s distinct architecture alone is expected to draw droves of tourists into the building, even though the columns that are part of that design are turning off some retailers. A few have pointed out the irony that above ground, the office-leasing brokers are selling the World Trade Center towers as engineering marvels that are nearly column-free.

Several tenant brokers said their clients have balked at the columns, but Westfield has attempted to counter that by showing tenants potential store designs that are not impeded by the columns and that allow them to effectively brand their spaces.

Eric Offereins liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #5386
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

I heard somewhere that the original World Trade Center had a shopping center. I hope this one will be better than the old one, although I have never shopped at the old World Trade Center.

And now the tower is really starting to look complete, judging by the base, the exterior elevator, and the way it looks at night. (I think I can see some office lights, but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me.)
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 03:23 AM   #5387
A.J.B 22
Big Pink

Likes (Received): 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
And now the tower is really starting to look complete, judging by the base, the exterior elevator, and the way it looks at night. (I think I can see some office lights, but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me.)
You're not seeing things. That definitely looks like office lighting to me.

A.J.B 22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:55 AM   #5388
WorldTradeCenterKid
WorldTradeCenterKid

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J.B 22 View Post
You're not seeing things. That definitely looks like office lighting to me.

thats what i was saying before

A.J.B 22 liked this post
WorldTradeCenterKid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #5389
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22559

Looks like it. However on the lower floors of 1 WTC i think they're making it look like there's office lighting by covering construction lights with a filter, like they used to do on special occasions.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #5390
weidncol

No. Those are actual office lights installed by Conde Nast. They are fitting out their floors you know.
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #5391
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
No. Those are actual office lights installed by Conde Nast. They are fitting out their floors you know.
Not Conde Nast, they will move into 1 WTC. But I agree with the rest
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #5392
weidncol

I was correcting Hudson with what he said about the construction lights in 1 WTC.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #5393
DannyR2713
another Registered User

Likes (Received): 698

a lot of shots in this movie seems to take place in 4 WTC!

AlePa2013 liked this post
DannyR2713 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #5394
weidncol

Excellent! This building definitely needs the attention.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #5395
Aussieman62

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Excellent! This building definitely needs the attention.
Probably, with the intention to attract more businesses to lease office space in the building. Good promotion Larry Silverstein!
Aussieman62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:08 AM   #5396
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Looks like it. However on the lower floors of 1 WTC i think they're making it look like there's office lighting by covering construction lights with a filter, like they used to do on special occasions.
1 WTC has a fitted out demo floor to try and sell some space. It is a mockup. I think that is actual completed space in 4 WTC.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #5397
weidncol

First, the model floor is on the 63rd floor of the building, not the lower floors. Second, all office lights you see in 1 WTC (wether it be model floor or Conde Nast Floors) are real office lighting. Not "filters" on construction lights.
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #5398
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

I'm happy to know there's some office lighting on the buildings. It looks a little weird all by itself, but I'm sure when all of it is installed it'll look way better. And in One World Trade Center, there's one than one floor of office lighting, I think. I wish I could post the earthcam images, but I forgot how to. So how do you do it? (I have a mac.)
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #5399
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

4 WTC close to landing first private-sector tenant

"The likely 120,000-square-foot deal would come at an opportune time for landlord Larry Silverstein, who is hoping to land a loan guarantee from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to put up 3 World Trade Center next door."
By Daniel Geiger
May 16, 2014 1:38 p.m.

"The brand-new tower at 4 World Trade Center looks to be close to landing its first private-sector tenant. MediaMath, a firm that develops online advertising software, is in negotiations to lease a big office at the glass-clad, 72-story, 2.3 million-square-foot behemoth, according to sources familiar with the talks.

MediaMath would relocate to the building from midtown, where it currently bases its New York offices out of 1440 Broadway near Bryant Park. The company is in talks to take as much as 120,000 square feet in a deal that would include expansion rights that would allow the fast-growing firm to take additional space in the tower in the future.

Rents in the tower are in the $70s and $80s per square foot depending on the floor. MediaMath, a Crain's Fast 50, is considering space in the middle of the building, according to sources...."

Swiddle liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #5400
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

4 WTC close to landing first private-sector tenant

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-sector-tenant
Quote:
The likely 120,000-square-foot deal would come at an opportune time for landlord Larry Silverstein, who is hoping to land a loan guarantee this month from the Port Authority to put up 3 World Trade Center next door.
The brand-new tower at 4 World Trade Center looks to be close to landing its first private-sector tenant. MediaMath, a firm that develops online advertising software, is in negotiations to lease a big office at the glass-clad, 72-story, 2.3 million-square-foot behemoth, according to sources familiar with the talks.
MediaMath would relocate to the building from midtown, where it currently bases its New York offices out of 1440 Broadway near Bryant Park. The company is in talks to take as much as 120,000 square feet in a deal that would include expansion rights that would allow the fast-growing firm to take additional space in the tower in the future.
Rents in the tower are in the $70s and $80s per square foot depending on the floor. MediaMath, a Crain's Fast 50, is considering space in the middle of the building, according to sources.
4 World Trade Center, designed by the Pritzker Prize winning architect Fumihiko Maki, was completed late last year and is the first tower to open directly on the World Trade Center site. The building, which was built by Silverstein Properties, is anchored by both the city and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which together will occupy over one million square feet there. Both are in the process of moving in.
So far however, no private sector leases have been signed. In a conversation with Crain's in recent days, Larry Silverstein, the founder and chairman of Silverstein Properties, said that has commitments for a substantial portion of 4 World Trade Center's remaining one million square feet of vacant space. Mr. Silverstein didn't reveal the identity of those tenants.
The arrival of private sector tenants making substantial commitments for space in the building comes at an opportune time for Mr. Silverstein. In less than two weeks, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the World Trade Center site, is set to consider a deal to guarantee $1.2 billion of loans that Silverstein Properties needs in order to develop another office tower there, 3 World Trade Center.
Controversy has erupted over whether the Port Authority should do the deal, which some critics say Silverstein Properties should do when it can source the loans from the private financing market without the Port Authority's help. The deals would appear to help answer another question though: whether there will be enough demand from tenants to fill all the square footage at the site that Silverstein Properties wants to create.
MediaMath specializes in creating systems and software that connect online advertisements with users who will be most likely to look at them. The company is part of a wave of tech and media firms that have headed downtown as other areas of the city, like midtown and midtown south, have grown more expensive.
Neither Silverstein Properties nor MediaMath would comment on the potential deal.

Swiddle liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, nyc, silverstein, world trade center, wtc