daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Old February 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #101
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 50554

How they decide to built a fuel-cell in WTC area knowing that its dangerous...?

Highcliff liked this post
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #102
Cojapo

Likes (Received): 14

It's not dangerous. My goodness. Two terrorist attacks in 200 plus years of NY City. If they want to attack, they are going to do it regardless of how any building gets it's power.
Cojapo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #103
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
How they decide to built a fuel-cell in WTC area knowing that its dangerous...?
did you just ignore my comment? I'm not going to write it again.....
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #104
kingsc

Likes (Received): 69

What you people are saying about the fuel-cell is dumb. Terrorist didn't attack WTC with Hydrogen powered cars or the Hindenburg, they did it with Jet fuel powered airplanes. We been through this a thousand times on the WTC threads, it most be safe enough otherwise they wouldn't be using.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/group.php?groupid=288
You could be a memeber
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #105
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojapo View Post
It's not dangerous. My goodness. Two terrorist attacks in 200 plus years of NY City. If they want to attack, they are going to do it regardless of how any building gets it's power.
You folks obviously don't have any idea how dangerous hydrogen is. It's colorless, odorless and extremely volatile. Having it stored in the basement of any building makes no sense, having it in the basement of a skyscraper in Manhattan is just ridiculous. One person in a couple of minutes could very easily sabotaged the system to create an explosion to instantly level the building that was contained in. I don't care how safe people think it is the potential is so great that I don't see how they could justify its installation. I guess being "green" trumped everything else in this case.
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #106
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 9

^Yes, because that's all they think about when designing buildings. Green is all they go for when designing the look and feel of a building, as well as it's power source. Designers will use whatever they please just so they can get a green rating on their building....please, get a grip on what comes through your keyboard. That statement makes you look completely ignorant.

Those are some great pictures. Nice to see what is actually going on over at the T4 site since it's mostly blocked from the webcams. It's exciting to see the whole site really start to take some shape.

Last edited by mudvayneimn; February 11th, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
mudvayneimn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #107
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
You folks obviously don't have any idea how dangerous hydrogen is. It's colorless, odorless and extremely volatile. Having it stored in the basement of any building makes no sense, having it in the basement of a skyscraper in Manhattan is just ridiculous. One person in a couple of minutes could very easily sabotaged the system to create an explosion to instantly level the building that was contained in. I don't care how safe people think it is the potential is so great that I don't see how they could justify its installation. I guess being "green" trumped everything else in this case.
natural gas is tastless, colorless, odorless and extremely volatile. But that doesn't stop me from using it in my home. So what you'd just said has no legs to stand.

You could be a memeber
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #108
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Talk about blowing stuff out of proportion. I don't think hydrogen fuel cells work the way you think they do. It isn't like the Hindenburg. Oh, and did you know that vehicles run on a volatile hydrocarbon called gasoline? I can't believe that they allow them in NYC!
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #109
J_Al_es
Tegucigalpa CiudadKapital

Likes (Received): 0

So were gonna start seeing the first floors till September???

When did they start all of the construction?

Shout out to the Darkness...Squeeze out sparKs of light! :) .....<3
J_Al_es no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #110
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Al_es View Post
So were gonna start seeing the first floors till September???

When did they start all of the construction?
construction started last year and yes you should see first floors in fall.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #111
philvia

Likes (Received): 13

just for fun of semantics... fuel cells do not mean hydrogen
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #112
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
It's incredible how much ignorance you were able to show in only one comment. You have the arrogance of justifying with futile reasons the expertease of dozens of engineers telling them how to do their work. As a civil engineering student, I can just pity you, but remember how absolutely useless your thought is regarding things you have no word in.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #113
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 50554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojapo View Post
I'm not talking about terrorist absolutely not
I was talking about human error, an accident...

christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #114
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
It's incredible how much ignorance you were able to show in only one comment. You have the arrogance of justifying with futile reasons the expertease of dozens of engineers telling them how to do their work. As a civil engineering student, I can just pity you, but remember how absolutely useless your thought is regarding things you have no word in.
I'm glad you're a student because you'll learn over time that expertease is a relative term and used much too often. We've already seen that with this complex of buildings politics trumps reason in many cases. Common sense has nothing to do with the design of these buildings. Politics is a reason it's taken so long to see anything happen is also the reason that many decisions that were made were not based on solid engineering. The fuel cells is one of those decisions, they were only installed for political reasons not for any truly economic nor engineering reason.
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #115
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 28

Does anyone know if they are still erecting a tower crane up this weekend?
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #116
kingsc

I haven't heard anything about it.

All I know is this, I don't care what they use to power the building. As long as it gets built and as long as it safe. I can't say why they do anything, I wasn't there. And Silverstein is one of my fav five so we don't talk. So anyword on the matter outside the box is hear say. Big pitcure, thats what we need to focus on here.

You could be a memeber
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #117
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 149

whoever lives in NYC keep an eye on WTC4, they should start installing first crane this week according to the schedule

webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #118
kingsc

I wish I could but I stay in scranton Pa home of Americas the office it really sucks sorry.

You could be a memeber
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #119
MichiganWolverine
Go Blue

Likes (Received): 0

I personally don't see a lot of intrinsic danger in having hydrogen stored in the basement. I am sure there could be accidents, but the fuel cells will probably have redundant safety systems. I do agree with Msradell on the fact that this was a political decision. No engineer who has ever heard of efficiency would support this kind of thing. They want to take an inefficient process and turn it into three processes. Instead of having the offsite wind turbines directly supply their electricity into the power grid, they elected to have the wind turbines produce electricity to produce hydrogen gas to transport to the site and produce electicity again. I would think that at most this elaborate scheme is half as efficient as directly supplying the power grid with clean energy. If they really wanted to have the WTC site be associated with green building, then why didn't they allocate money to build wind turbines elsewhere and claim that the site is funding clean energy or specify that the site only buys renewable energy from the energy company? Instead they created this fuel cell idea to make sure everyone knew these buildings run on clean energy.
MichiganWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #120
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 14

Hydrogen is hardly a 974ft skyscraper killer.

But what's the deal with having it trucked in? That seems very inefficient.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, nyc, silverstein, world trade center, wtc