daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #1841
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull View Post
For the argument regarding this and the old WTC, move on, accept changes. New York is catching up with other mega cities and I think these towers are the most beautiful towers U/C at this moment. 4 man made marvels are better then 2 tall, dull and uninspiring towers any day.

Just saying
End of.
I agree that the new WTC towers are the most beautiful towers under construction. In fact, there are only few towers, in the world, that look better than they do. However, I disagree that the old Twins were dull and uninspiring. In my opinion they, together with the Willis Tower, were the most beautiful structures ever built.

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1842
Odoaker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 787

For a long time, nothing will compete with the old Twin Towers. They were the cathedral of liberty and prosperity. The simple design, in combination with their vast dimensions, were timeless, and stand in a line with the pyramids of Egypt.
Odoaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #1843
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odoaker View Post
For a long time, nothing will compete with the old Twin Towers. They were the cathedral of liberty and prosperity. The simple design, in combination with their vast dimensions, were timeless, and stand in a line with the pyramids of Egypt.
I 1000000% agree with you

Old July 11th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #1844
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odoaker
Don't get me wrong, the twins were beautiful and innovational. But TO ME they are no more than a record breaker. Just like the Chrysler building, esb, Willis tower, and you'll hate me for saying this but.. Burj khalifa. The pyramids are more in a category of their own, considering nothing this massive would be built for 2 millenniums and everything else was marble sized. (that's my opinion)

Dirty new yorker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #1845
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker

Don't get me wrong, the twins were beautiful and innovational. But TO ME they are no more than a record breaker. Just like the Chrysler building, esb, Willis tower, and you'll hate me for saying this but.. Burj khalifa. The pyramids are more in a category of their own, considering nothing this massive would be built for 2 millenniums and everything else was marble sized. (that's my opinion)
Let me say though ,the twin towers were much more marvelous than bk, which is a neat sight, but no more than a 2600 foot thorn in the desert.

Old July 11th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #1846
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I still maintain that this building is boring as hell. I hate simple design for buildings taller than 800 feet.

kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #1847
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
I disagree that the old Twins were dull and uninspiring. In my opinion they, together with the Willis Tower, were the most beautiful structures ever built.
Boring, dull, lame, bland, weak, complacent, uninspiring, and unimaginative are just a few words I'd use to describe those buildings.

Anybody can design a box, including brain dead zombies.

Last edited by Gendo; July 11th, 2011 at 02:07 AM.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #1848
tai tai

Likes (Received): 0

Word.
tai tai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #1849
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23062

on that lovely description of the old world trade center buildings, can we get back to discussing one of the new ones?

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #1850
Credo
I Believe

Likes (Received): 2

In my opinion, the glass is looking really good (unlike my previous, unspoken feelings). I was expecting a similar look to 1 WTC, but it holds its own in color and "reflective-ness". Some of the panels look thick. Especially the vents.

Last edited by Credo; July 11th, 2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: (OT)
Credo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #1851
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Sear tower is butt ugly. I created better looking structures with legos.

kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #1852
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendo View Post
Boring, dull, lame, bland, weak, complacent, uninspiring, and unimaginative are just a few words I'd use to describe those buildings.

Like a friend of mine said, it is easier to design a curvy building than to make a boxy one look good. And according to every architecture book I've ever read, the Twin Towers achieved that.

Personally, I didn't like them, I didn't like the color, I didn't like the shape. But being able to appreciate them, is probably like being able to appreciate an old movie. Not as shiny and full of CGI like today's movies, but a classic none the less. So if someone tell's me why they like them, even though I don't, I can still understand why they were considered beautiful, majestic, classics, and appreciate the work that every person did to design and engineer them.

Instead of calling them brain dead zombies.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #1853
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican

Like a friend of mine said, it is easier to design a curvy building than to make a boxy one look good. And according to every architecture book I've ever read, the Twin Towers achieved that.

Personally, I didn't like them, I didn't like the color, I didn't like the shape. But being able to appreciate them, is probably like being able to appreciate an old movie. Not as shiny and full of CGI like today's movies, but a classic none the less. So if someone tell's me why they like them, even though I don't, I can still understand why they were considered beautiful, majestic, classics, and appreciate the work that every person did to design and engineer them.

Thats a good way of looking at it

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #1854
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post

The problem is that most of the people see them as 2 tall gray boxes..That's shallow..Most of the people don't understand architecture and can't see the beauty of it..They don't know how to "see" the architecture..Twins had story..A good story..They were built to dominate..The mass was the main feature they had..World tallest buildings..They were built to destroy everything around them..I could write a whole interpretation of the twins now, but this is not the place for this..My point is that if people can't interpretate the architecture, they can't enjoy it..Just like the poems..

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #1855
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Well, everybody has a different taste. I like boxy design full of right angles

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #1856
kenersej
I love New York!

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendo View Post

Well you are brain dead. They weren't just 'boxes'. Do some research douche.
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1857
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

I can see now the crane and a sliver of 4WTC....

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1111 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #1858
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
The problem is that most of the people see them as 2 tall gray boxes..That's shallow..Most of the people don't understand architecture and can't see the beauty of it..They don't know how to "see" the architecture..Twins had story..A good story..They were built to dominate..The mass was the main feature they had..World tallest buildings..They were built to destroy everything around them..I could write a whole interpretation of the twins now, but this is not the place for this..My point is that if people can't interpretate the architecture, they can't enjoy it..Just like the poems..
Which is to say they had great negative space. I'll give them that. WTC plaza was a great open space because it was framed by the towers. In 1973, Philip Petit demonstrated that the most beautiful thing about the buildings (which were savaged in the popular press for being big, ugly, municipal, boxes emblematic of the general failure of modernist architecture to not build same) was the space between them. Negative space is an under appreciated aspect of architecture, but it's not an excuse to make your buildings so ugly that they make the space around them look better by comparison.

I mourn for the thousands that lost their lives when they were destroyed, but not for the buildings themselves.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #1859
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Ken, if you can, any other pics of WTC 4 will be great. As you can see, Carlos's view is largely blocked until he gets the place at Beekman. :-)

600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1860
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenersej View Post
Well you are brain dead. They weren't just 'boxes'. Do some research douche.
I think those adjectives are a bit harsh, but you can't deny they were basically boxes. There's no need to be getting all superior. I don't think any amount of research will change the fact that they were just very tall boxes. Sure, they now hold a lot of significance for a lot of people, but their design wasn't exactly inspired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Well, everybody has a different taste. I like boxy design full of right angles
I love right angled towers too, and Sears is a great favourite of mine, but there's nothing special in design about the Twins, to me.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, nyc, silverstein, world trade center, wtc