daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #201
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3063

its being demolished so close enough
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #202
marcopolo
◜◝◟◞◜◝◟◞◜

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
The ENTIRE World Trade Center site is now under construction
marcopolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #203
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

I wish some of you far and away could watch it up close like i can from PATH, i ride the WTC loop every week, always something new. Very exciting!

- A
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #204
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I can't remember what train it was, tell me I want ride it before the close it up.
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #205
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_37...ructionof.html

Construction of Ground Zero is Moving Along as Planned

BY Aline Reynolds

Quote:
In undertaking the daunting task of redeveloping Ground Zero, real estate man Larry Silverstein had a vision: to transform the site into a state-of-the-art office complex. He sought to create a center that’s accessible, secure and eco-friendly all at once.

Silverstein revolutionized the safety standards of the city in demanding that certain criteria be met for 7 World Trade Center, the model for Towers 2, 3 and 4. Seven WTC was the first green commercial office building in New York City, according to Silverstein Properties. The 52-story office tower, located at 250 Greenwich Street, opened in May 2006 and is now 87 percent occupied.

“Larry wouldn’t have it any other way,” said Dara McQuillan, senior vice president of marketing and communications for Silverstein Properties.

“A lot of people wrote Downtown off after 9/11,” McQuillan added. “The challenge for Larry was to incorporate the standards and convince people that it was the right thing to do.”

The towers meet several sustainable design guidelines and goals established specifically for the WTC Site. The buildings, for example, will all be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) gold certified. The towers’ other green features include high-efficiency cooling/heating and plumbing systems and use of rainwater for the cooling tower. A minimum of 50 percent of the building’s wood will be harvested using sustainable, eco-friendly methods. Purified air will filter in from the towers’ roofs.

Electricity costs in Towers 2 through 4 will be approximately 35 percent lower than in a typical Manhattan office building, and much of it will be powered by renewable energy. The buildings also save money on cooling costs, since its glass exteriors will repel heat from the sun while allowing the light to pass through. There will be no need for energy-consuming artificial lighting during the day, since more than 90 percent of the towers’ interior will incorporate natural light.

As for safety, 7 WTC will again serve as the model for the other towers. The buildings will be well prepared for emergency evacuations. Stairways will be wide so that firefighters will easily be able to ascend with their equipment in an emergency situation. Seven WTC has sprinkler systems with twice the water capacity as the ones in the old Twin Towers. A cement fireproofing is ten times more adhesive, protecting the steel from heat. Seven WTC conducts a fire drill every six months to ensure that everyone can safely exit in approximately 20 minutes.

Another goal is to bring the street back, to reincorporate the WTC complex into the Manhattan Street grid. The former Austin Tobin Plaza blocked pedestrian access to Greenwich Street. After 9/11, Silverstein and architect David Childs (who designed Towers 1 and 7) conceived of a way to make Greenwich Street accessible to the public by designing a smaller building at 7 WTC.

“It completely opened up the area and allowed a lot of natural light to come in,” said Mcquillan.

The master development plan will open up Greenwich Street all the way through the WTC site.

Silverstein has hired Tishman Construction Corporation, a privately held construction manager, to resurrect the new Tower 1, along with Towers 3 and 4. Tishman, currently hired by the Port Authority, began breaking ground for Tower 1 in early 2008.

The 102-story Tower 1, on the Northwest Corner of the WTC site, will be the tallest building in North America at 1776-feet tall. Similar to the Twin Towers, it will consist of an observation deck that will have a 360-degree view of the city and a restaurant just underneath, along with 2.6 million square feet — more than 70 floors — of office space and broadcast and antennae facilities. Owned by the Port Authority, it will be managed by the Durst Organization, a private real estate company. The building will be LEED gold certified and its base will be protected by concrete and steel. It will resemble a glass obelisk, similar to the Washington Monument in Washington D.C.

Tower 2, a high-rise planned for construction at 200 Greenwich Street, will consist of a glazed crystalline form and diamond-shaped top. The goal is to “create a bold addition to the New York skyline,” according to Silverstein Properties’ written description of the site.

Inside, Tower 2 will have 60 office floors, five levels of retail, four trading floors and a sky-lobby. The interior will match the building’s outer geometrical design.

“It accommodates the primary vertical circulation, with high-speed shuttle elevators rising to an intermediate sky lobby where the upper floors are served by two further banks of elevators,” says the description.

Tower 3, which will be bounded by Greenwich, Church, Dey and Cortlandt Streets, will be opposite the proposed WTC Memorial and Cultural Center. It will contain 54 office floors and five retail levels.

“All corners of the tower are column-free to ensure that occupiers of the office levels have unimpeded 360 degree panoramic views of New York,” according to Silverstein Properties.

Tower 4, which will be minimalist in design, will consist of 56 office floors, one-third of which will house the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey headquarters. Silverstein Properties will lease out the remainder of the office space to commercial tenants.

Tower 4 will also face the future Memorial and have entrances on Cortlandt, Liberty and Greenwich Streets. Its lobby will have panoramic views of the World Trade Center site. The Tower will have floor-to-ceiling windows made out of composite glass and a retail area on the ground floor (referred to as a “podium”) that “[will] enliven the immediate urban environment at pedestrian street level as part of the redevelopment efforts of Downtown New York,” according to Silverstein Properties. Tishman broke ground on the Tower 3 site on July 14.

The Memorial Center, also on Greenwich Street, will be erected on the footprint of the Twin Towers to commemorate the 9/11 victims. The design, entitled “Reflecting Absence,” was created by Israeli architect Michael Arad, who won the competition to undertake the project. The National September 11th Museum will occupy three floors, mostly underneath the park. The grounds of the Center will consist of an eight-acre park with waterfalls whose edges will carry the 3,000 names of those who perished on 9/11 and at the 1993 WTC bombing. The memorial “will help facilitate an encounter with both the enormity of the loss and the triumph of the human spirit that are at the heart of 9/11,” according to WTC.com.

Highcliff liked this post
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #206
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Wow, according to that article Silverstein is the savior of downtown, is the only decision maker, and his own people say so.

"real estate man Larry Silverstein had a vision"
"He sought to create a center"
"Silverstein revolutionized the safety standards of the city"
“Larry wouldn’t have it any other way,”

Just a little too much on the PR self-promotion, IMHO
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #207
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

Silverstein is the savior of this site compared to the PA.

Move it to construction!
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #208
kingsc

at this point only thing saving lower manhattan is Beekman and maybe Goldmen sachs.
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #209
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
at this point only thing saving lower manhattan is Beekman and maybe Goldmen sachs.
What?
Old July 17th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #210
kingsc

The post above say Silverstein is the savior of downtown. I'm talking about the skyline.
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #211
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Silverstein is the savior of this site compared to the PA.

Move it to construction!
Well the PA is paying for 1WTC, 4WTC, and eventually 3WTC. Liberty Bonds paid for Beekman Tower and Goldman Sachs tower. A lot of development in Lower Manhattan is "government" backed, not privately developed. So I wouldn't say Silverstein is the savior.

He's the one keeping the WTC vision alive, but the government and taxpayers are paying for everything.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #212
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2750

Silverstein's vision was having four skyscrapers built for him without paying a dime. A true saviour!
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #213
kingsc

well when he leased it, there was 7 building there.
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #214
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2750

And he had them insured. How much of his insurance payout went into the construction of the new WTC?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #215
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
And he had them insured. How much of his insurance payout went into the construction of the new WTC?
The insurance settlement from early 2005 was $4.55 billion. The PA got $2.75 billion based on assurances that they would rebuild the all the necessary infrastructure and took over 1WTC and 5WTC sites. Silverstein got the rest of the money to help pay for 2-4WTC. Silverstein also received $861 million in insurance claims for the original 7WTC that was destroyed. $400 million went to pay off the old mortgage. Another $475 million was received in Liberty Bonds to pay for the rest of the new 7WTC.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #216
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8763

3WTC U/C
OH MY GOD!!

Excellent!!

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #217
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Yeah...

Building two towers is so common sense it hurts my brain to think about it. Everyone in new york and the entire world want two of em and the only people who dont are the people in charge.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #218
kingsc

alot of ppl in NYC don't want anything built there, most other don't care. And most of the world watch it burn down and dance in the street while it happened. The twin tower thing isn't going to happen for this site. But there's always the silver and times towers.
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #219
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I can't remember what train it was, tell me I want ride it before the close it up.
The station there is the "WTC" or world trade center PATH station. Trains on regular weekdays run between here and Newark Penn station in NJ, and also to a commuter station called Hoboken terminal, also in NJ. The terminal at wtc is a loop, with 2 tunnels between nj and ny here. Uptown there is another set of tunnels, that line runs to 33rd street under 6th ave right next to the herald square/34th street station subway complex. You will have to walk down from the 1, 2, 3 A, and C trains at chambers or park place, or you can walk up from the E, which actually terminates right under 2 wtc.

It's a pretty neat area, will be even more amazing when it's all finished.

- A
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #220
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3107

People will never agree but seeing that twin tower version gives back the vision of what New York had....Many cities now have buildings as tall or taller than New York but the cache or Symbols of New York Internationally have been The ESB and Chrysler.....and the Twin Towers of the WTC pre 2001. OK.....anyone in the world knows what happened that day and great to see life and the rebuilding of that site but it's like a trade mark......instantly recognisable.....why change it to skyscrapers that could be anywhere ? I know familiarity will follow and after some years this will be just as accepted as New York.....The generation that lived with the original just has to live with that.
Half a world away I visited it and saw it as it was, then as a hole in the ground and hope again to return and see the completed project. The memorials may hold more meaning than the buildings surrounding it though ?

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center