daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:48 PM   #3601
Fisplen
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Newport , Wales.
Posts: 69
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo1 View Post
Looks amazing. With or without the Twin Towers then New York's skyline is iconic. One of my favorite cities.



What was/were the exact reason (s) for not rebuilding the Twin Towers or something similar in size or even bigger?
Mostly to do with safety and cost, rebuilding the twin towers would enable something like 9/11 to happen again, the exterior columns made the Twin towers what it looked like, and because they were a big part of the towers collapse we would have to place them inside, putting god knows what on the outside, it'd look like a mutant of what was the beautiful twin towers of the World Trade Centre.

It also cost a hell of a lot of money to build the entire WTC complex as it was,
The Two twin towers cost $2 billion each to build, ( $450 mil each back in 1973 )

The entire complex along with 3 WTC, 4 WTC, 5 WTC, 6 WTC and 7 WTC including the mall at the World Trade Center, parking and plaza... Oooh about...

5 billion?

To put all that money in with the risk of it getting lost in another bombing or something is to much for the PA to even think about, this is, unfortunately the only option.
__________________

Conejo1 liked this post
Fisplen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:50 PM   #3602
N.Y.C.H
Registered User
 
N.Y.C.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 352
Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisplen View Post
Mostly to do with safety and cost, rebuilding the twin towers would enable something like 9/11 to happen again, the exterior columns made the Twin towers what it looked like, and because they were a big part of the towers collapse we would have to place them inside, putting god knows what on the outside, it'd look like a mutant of what was the beautiful twin towers of the World Trade Centre.

It also cost a hell of a lot of money to build the entire WTC complex as it was,
The Two twin towers cost $2 billion each to build, ( $450 mil each back in 1973 )

The entire complex along with 3 WTC, 4 WTC, 5 WTC, 6 WTC and 7 WTC including the mall at the World Trade Center, parking and plaza... Oooh about...

5 billion?

To put all that money in with the risk of it getting lost in another bombing or something is to much for the PA to even think about, this is, unfortunately the only option.
That doesn't make any sence on cost when 1WTC alone is 4 billion.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:51 PM   #3603
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher
 
weidncol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 4623

The new complex will cost WAY more than the old one would've have.
__________________
#Save2WTC

Fisplen liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:40 AM   #3604
NewYorker2009
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 240
Likes (Received): 132

Fisplen, The new Towers are a terrorist target also. As long as there are tall buildings on that site, it will always be a target. However, we can't let that keep us from building tall. The new complex is far more expensive. One WTC and the Transit Hub alone cost approx. $8B. Towers 2, 3, & 4 are like $2 to $4 Billion each. 7 was just under a billion and 5 is still in the works. Then you have the Performing Arts Center, the Mall, Vehicular Security Center, Liberty Park, St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, and the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. The expenses always go higher than originally projected when building skyscrapers.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:24 AM   #3605
anrsbes.charles
Registered User
 
anrsbes.charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 23
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Maybe the Federal Government should take over these buildings and build them using Federal Dollars. The pace of construction has been pathetic. Its been nearly 13 years since 9/11, and there is no end in sight for the construction. Europe was rebuild faster after World War II than this site.
The government cannot take over buildings on private land without compensation and Silverstein agreeing to it. Also, at the rate the government does things, I doubt it would do any better.

3WTC will get done, it's a beautiful design. I'd love to move my office there one day.
__________________

A.J.B 22 liked this post
anrsbes.charles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:20 AM   #3606
Fisplen
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Newport , Wales.
Posts: 69
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Fisplen, The new Towers are a terrorist target also. As long as there are tall buildings on that site, it will always be a target. However, we can't let that keep us from building tall. The new complex is far more expensive. One WTC and the Transit Hub alone cost approx. $8B. Towers 2, 3, & 4 are like $2 to $4 Billion each. 7 was just under a billion and 5 is still in the works. Then you have the Performing Arts Center, the Mall, Vehicular Security Center, Liberty Park, St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, and the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. The expenses always go higher than originally projected when building skyscrapers.
Holy Moly
Thats going up to nearly $20 billion.
Fisplen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:34 PM   #3607
Maximalist
Only More is More
 
Maximalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Valencia/Toronto
Posts: 1,383
Likes (Received): 492

Probably more, since these mega projects never seem to come in on budget. Certainly Calatrava has a long history of going way over budget, although the transit hub will be magnificent.
__________________
See: SIX BUILDINGS THAT WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD IN 2017 http://WOWchitecture.blogspot.com
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:43 PM   #3608
tim1807
faster than buildings
 
tim1807's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Den Helder
Posts: 10,325
Likes (Received): 5334

Indeed, all those extra days of delay for everything must cost a lot of money.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #3609
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 645
Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisplen View Post
Mostly to do with safety and cost, rebuilding the twin towers would enable something like 9/11 to happen again, the exterior columns made the Twin towers what it looked like, and because they were a big part of the towers collapse we would have to place them inside, putting god knows what on the outside, it'd look like a mutant of what was the beautiful twin towers of the World Trade Centre.

...
Technically they could have built modern buildings that looked just like the twins. One of the main flaws of the twins was that they had no real core. Build something with a modern concrete core and supercolumns, and a cladding that mimics the look of the original twins. Nobody would know the difference except us skyscraper geeks.
uakoops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:53 PM   #3610
NewYorker2009
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 240
Likes (Received): 132

See the mistake people tend to make is think the Twin Towers had no core. The core is where the elevators and staircases go so every building has to have one. The Twin Towers had a very strong core made up of 47 massive steel columns. It should have been stronger but back in the 1960s and 70s safety wasn't a primary concern, office space was. It's the sad truth that unfortunately innocent people had to pay for. The Towers were designed to be the best they could be for that time. They were designed for earthquakes, high winds, airplanes traveling at slow speeds, hurricanes, etc. No one designing a building during that time would think some schmuck would deliberately fly a plane into it. I'm sure we have learned from past mistakes and these new Towers should be just fine.
__________________

A.J.B 22 liked this post
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:35 AM   #3611
Mercenary
Registered User
 
Mercenary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,781
Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
See the mistake people tend to make is think the Twin Towers had no core. The core is where the elevators and staircases go so every building has to have one. The Twin Towers had a very strong core made up of 47 massive steel columns. It should have been stronger but back in the 1960s and 70s safety wasn't a primary concern, office space was. It's the sad truth that unfortunately innocent people had to pay for. The Towers were designed to be the best they could be for that time. They were designed for earthquakes, high winds, airplanes traveling at slow speeds, hurricanes, etc. No one designing a building during that time would think some schmuck would deliberately fly a plane into it. I'm sure we have learned from past mistakes and these new Towers should be just fine.
The problem was there was no concrete core. It was just sheet rock. When the planes hit, they blew away the sheet covering and exposed the steel trusses. The fire from the jet fuel weakened the steel trusses causing the buildings to collapse.

If the Twins had concrete core with ample fire proofing, the buildings would not have collapsed.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #3612
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
The fire from the jet fuel and burning office material weakened the steel trusses causing the buildings to collapse.
Fixed, just so no 'truther' gets any ideas.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:47 AM   #3613
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher
 
weidncol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 4623

Can we get back on topic, please. This thread is about 3 WTC, not how the Twin Towers collapsed.
__________________
#Save2WTC
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #3614
Riley1066
Registered User
 
Riley1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 517

I think the standards by which Larry Silverstein gets compensation for 2 and 3 WTC need to be loosened so that they can be built faster with less of an initial occupancy requirement.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #3615
Eastern37
Optimist
 
Eastern37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Townsville
Posts: 6,494
Likes (Received): 3046

Why? Whats the point of building something that is just going to be empty? I want to see these buildings built but there is no point building them until they are actually needed.
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:45 AM   #3616
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy
 
iiConTr0v3rSYx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,341
Likes (Received): 2905

Agreed.

I understand the frustration, but people on here are beginning to feel as if they're entitled to something.

The last thing we need is empty office towers in the heart of downtown.
__________________
Want to take a magical aerial tour of NY?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBPrNUzk1BA

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #3617
A.J.B 22
Big Pink
 
A.J.B 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 442
Likes (Received): 481

These buildings will be completed at some point sooner or later. I think the new complex will be well worth the wait.
__________________

Architecture lover liked this post
A.J.B 22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #3618
Maximalist
Only More is More
 
Maximalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Valencia/Toronto
Posts: 1,383
Likes (Received): 492

The longer the wait, the greater the risk that the designs will begin to look outdated. Then they may have to be redesigned, which means they run the risk of not blending in with 1 WTC.
__________________
See: SIX BUILDINGS THAT WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD IN 2017 http://WOWchitecture.blogspot.com
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #3619
meh_cd
Registered User
 
meh_cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 123

The worst thing about all of this is that Larry wanted to build Tower 2 before everything else until the PA stepped in and said nope, gotta build Tower 1 first.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #3620
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
The longer the wait, the greater the risk that the designs will begin to look outdated. Then they may have to be redesigned, which means they run the risk of not blending in with 1 WTC.
These buildings are timeless. The designs are already 8-10 years old.
__________________

A.J.B 22 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu