daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #3721
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
the new WTC is an endless story.....

i wouldn't wonder if we would have to wait until 2025 or later until all towers are completed ( including Tower 2 )
Things will get moving once the Transportation Hub is completed in 2016.

The ease of commute at a world class terminal will attract tenants and we will see movement on both 2WTC and 3WTC.

I say 2021 before all construction on Ground Zero is complete.

LeCom liked this post
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #3722
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I won't take any action seriously until they announce if they will actually even start the thing.
I agree. We'll know next month.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #3723
A.J.B 22
Big Pink

Likes (Received): 481

I'm just curious to know what exactly they're doing.
A.J.B 22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #3724
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4535

Probably just maintenance as usual... You can't expect a tower that will rise over 350m in the air to have its base and structure open to the elements for months and years without it being checked over and over again and kept in good condition

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #3725
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

looks like some stuff has been lifted onto 3wtcs roof
Old March 28th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #3726
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

http://www.downtownexpress.com/2014/...t-more-delays/

TALKING POINT: W.T.C. needs Port support, not more delays

March 27, 2014
BY DAVID STANKE

Quote:
The Port Authority is on the brink of ensuring that the World Trade Center will be restored some 17 years after its complete destruction. This is not a bold accomplishment, and given the history of indecision and misdirection, it should also be no surprise that the Port is about to blink.

If the Port provides a loan guarantee to Silverstein Properties Inc., the developer will proceed with the construction of W.T.C. 3 and in a few years, the site will have three completed office buildings, three contiguous blocks of retail attached to an iconic transportation hub, and the economic and spiritual center of Lower Manhattan will be fully operational (although still not complete).

If the Port blinks, the W.T.C. will be mired with two stalled buildings and segmented retail.

The P.A. is debating whether to expand an existing loan guarantee for S.P.I. on W.T.C. 3 to $1.2 billion, about one half the cost of the building. In exchange, Silverstein would pay interest and fees to the Port, increase equity in the building to $500 million, and give the authority a foreclosure option. Under best circumstances, the P.A. will earn fees for the guarantee and lose nothing. Under worst circumstances, they will get a $2-billion, architecturally-significant building with an anchor tenant in the best location south of 35th Street for 50% of the cost. Silverstein would suffer an intolerable loss of both their equity and $500 million in insurance proceeds, under this scenario.

The loan guarantee would ensure that the site would be largely functional within four years, leaving just one office tower and the cultural center on hold. Connections with surrounding buildings and communities, and three blocks of retail would be open. It would ensure that, 17 years after the destruction of the W.T.C., the spiritual center of Lower Manhattan would be back. Better late than never.

Often there are divisions at the Port between appointees of New York and those of New Jersey, but in this case, two New York appointees are battling, according to the New York Times. While Scott Rechler, the Port’s vice chairperson, is negotiating these guarantees with S.P.I., another board member, Kenneth Lipper, opposes the plan because of the risk it adds to the authority’s financial position and because he wants the P.A. to invest in a bus terminal modernization in Midtown. And so it is with the Port. Words come out one side, contradictory words come out another.

The W.T.C. was the target of a direct attack on the continental U.S. by foreign enemies, but the obligation to restore the site is considered by Lipper to be just a “patriotic gesture” and a “vanity project.” Excuse me sir, but to neighbors of the site, rebuilding the W.T.C. is a moral obligation of this country— the Port Authority’s moral obligation.

As a residential neighbor of the W.T.C., I am in favor of accelerated completion of the site.

The loan backstop is a good financial bet. While there is office space available in surrounding buildings, there are regular announcements of companies interested in making the move Downtown, Time Magazine being the latest. As properties become available, they will fill, because the rents are competitive and the facilities will be first class.

W.T.C. 3 will not be available for 4 years, by which time the current space nearing occupancy should be largely occupied: W.T.C. 1 is already 55% occupied while W.T.C. 4 is 60% full. For reference, W.T.C. 7 has 1.7 million square feet and was empty when it was completed in 2006 but was 100% leased at high rates by 2011, at a time when the rest of the W.T.C. was still a stagnant wasteland.

Completion of W.T.C. 3 will remove uncertainty concerning future construction. The Westfield Group has indicated that it will not take the W.T.C. 3 retail space until the tower is complete, delaying another $150 million payment to the P.A. The removal of uncertainty will be a major selling factor for both the P.A. and Silverstein as they market available office space.

The loan guarantee benefits New Jersey as well as New York. New Jersey residents will have expanded job opportunities in New York with convenient and efficient transportation. Peripheral businesses, both commercial and residential, will thrive across the Hudson River.

The states of New York and New Jersey have already mismanaged the reconstruction of the W.T.C. by approving excessively expensive plans, by delaying action.

The governors may not like the current position, but we are in it because of their predecessors. Getting W.T.C. 3 built will help cover 13 years of mistakes. Pulling back now will simply expose the P.A. to the full weight of the previous excesses.

Government in some way subsidizes all private enterprise; it’s just that some get more subsidies than others. The question is, whose friends are going to get subsidized and how? S.P.I. has operated under the reverse subsidy (i.e. penalty) of P.A. indecision and inaction for too long. The loan guarantee is just balancing the ledger.

Perhaps, Gov. Christie is against W.T.C. development because it will compete with projects across the river, or maybe he just wants to punish somebody. The scope of pettiness within the decision-making corridors of the P.A. have been completely exposed by the George Washington Bridge scandal.

Ironically, the P.A. was originally given the site because it could accelerate development of a new commercial center to revitalize the then stagnant Downtown. Now, it should be pretty clear to the casual observer that the Port Authority can’t execute in a reliable, predictable, manner. It is the Great Oz. Sounds emanate from behind the smoke and mirrors. But we in the audience never really know who is behind the sound. We are prisoners of obscurity in a Downtown interrupted.
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #3727
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

This article is 100% accurate. Build the god damn tower already. Everyone can deal without Tower 2 for a while but honestly this is ridiculous. 8 years later into real construction at the WTC and this is all we have to account for. It's quite pathetic. The buildings will not fill up until this site is no longer an active construction zone. That's just common sense they are fools to think anyone is going to want to work around that! This isn't just some normal site this has been going on for years and everyone knows that hence why they are cautious to sign on. If they see it all coming together and finally finishing up, they will come. Simple as that. If they vote no next month then all hope is literally lost for this site.

Last edited by StrongIsland; March 28th, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #3728
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Here's the thread for the bus terminal modernisation mentioned in the article: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1709538

I think both 3WTC and the new bus terminal are things that need to be done, but I think they could finance the latter with the profits from the former.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #3729
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

What's happening on the roof?
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #3730
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The answer is on this page. Probably nothing important.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #3731
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I think both 3WTC and the new bus terminal are things that need to be done, but I think they could finance the latter with the profits from the former.
PABT is sitting on a pile of air rights in one of the best locations in the city. There should be no reason that it would need subsidies to be profitable.

In the case of WTC, the case can certainly be made that 9/11 warrants subsidies to rebuild bigger, better (and fast, though that is now obviously a lost cause).

Not so in Midtown. I do wonder whether if the previous administration hadn't pushed Hudson Yards so hard (with tax abatements, among other things), we would have had that square footage built around Penn and the PABT, cleaning up those neighborhoods and adding office space on top of real transit hubs. And WTC would have had less competition, so would have been more in demand, too.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #3732
a.y1987

Likes (Received): 14

Maybe they are preparing for construction to resume, even if the PA votes no. They are starting to move a good amount of equipment up there, and the top floor is now covered in orange spray paint dots, just a theory though.
a.y1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #3733
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Yes, some of it even looks like rebar.
Old March 29th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #3734
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

I usually try not to speculate on those things but it does look like they're getting ready for construction. Guess we won't know for sure till we see some actual action.

A.J.B 22 liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #3735
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

And pluse won't they have to put the crane up again in order for it to rise and I don't think that little crane that put the washing equipment on the floor/roof is going to do the job, since the old crane just needs a head or if it is all rusted and beaten up they will have to put a new one up before we have another one57 incident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I usually try not to speculate on those things but it does look like they're getting ready for construction. Guess we won't know for sure till we see some actual action.

Last edited by Shakkur98; March 29th, 2014 at 02:43 AM.
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #3736
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

A crane doesn't rust in such short time.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #3737
ajosh821
#TeamFairview

Likes (Received): 7055

ese_mexican_hippie

A.J.B 22, WorldTradeCenterKid liked this post
ajosh821 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #3738
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

This tower really needs to rise already!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Kanto liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:44 PM   #3739
WorldTradeCenterKid
WorldTradeCenterKid

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajosh821 View Post
thanks for using my picture. really apreciate it.
WorldTradeCenterKid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:04 PM   #3740
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

the fact that the link belt cranes have been banned really screwed this job up immensely.

totally changes the crane plan.

but it looks like they are loading forms and plank to the working floor.

a good sign.

Vertical_Gotham, A.J.B 22, j-biz liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center