daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #3901
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

I hope they are not capping the core like they did 2WTC
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #3902
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkur98 View Post
I hope they are not capping the core like they did 2WTC
Why would they prep to cap it when the decision has not been made with the PA and have an anchor in place?? This is going vertical IMO either way. The way I see it, it's a game of poker being played by Silverstein to of course get a better deal with PA and vice versa. The PA may ultimately be a bigger partner with Silverstein with tower 3 IMO when it's all said and done. Bank on it.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #3903
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

I guess the scaffolding could be used either to restart construction or to cap it. So they are setting it up now and they will be ready to go whatever the decision is. That having been said I really hope they restart it I think it's the nicest one of the bunch.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #3904
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
I guess the scaffolding could be used either to restart construction or to cap it. So they are setting it up now and they will be ready to go whatever the decision is. That having been said I really hope they restart it I think it's the nicest one of the bunch.
Unfortunately I feel it's more likely that the scaffolding is being put up to cap the core than it is to start construction. Scaffolding like this was not used during the construction of the lower floors in this building nor any place in the construction of the other buildings. Scaffolding like this takes too long to assemble and disassemble to be used during vertical construction.

mindgoessnap, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by Msradell; May 9th, 2014 at 08:42 PM.
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #3905
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

But why now, when we're closer to construction restarting than we've been in years? They could have capped the core any time.

Unless they know something we don't....

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #3906
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
But why now, when we're closer to construction restarting than we've been in years? They could have capped the core any time.
Unless they know something we don't....
They could've capped the core, but they weren't required to until now. I forget the exact stipulations, but it is tied to the opening of the transportation hub. The capping is required within so many months of its completion.

I think it's 50/50 whether this moves forward or not. If it doesn't, I hope Group M moves to 4WTC. Tower 4's floors aren't nearly as large as the podium levels of T3, but I hope Group M will lease there if nothing else.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #3907
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Re: Capping

Business wise what are the benefits spending the time and resources starting it now when Silverstein can just start the process immediately after the hearing?? No reason to jump start it now.

The deadline for GroupM to back out is what?? sometime in July so there is plenty of time to find another tenant before then. So you pay time and overtime to your workers to start the process only to pay again to reverse the process should they find another tenant or the hearing goes well?? That seems a bit wasting money to me and that would only validate to the public that money is just being thrown away unnecessarily in this whole WTC fiasco.

By capping it now, what kind of message is Silverstein sending to GroupM? Might as well for them to start looking for some new space in the Yards now and jump ship at the deadline. Why wait until then? You should show confidence to the prospective tenant.

By capping it now, what kind of message is Silverstein sending to the PA, Christie and Cuomo?? They might as well move up the hearing date and vote NO, so that way no ones precious time is wasted anymore and life can move forward for all.

Ghostface79, A.J.B 22 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #3908
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

What I think is you people should stop jumping to conclusions about the scaffolding. The truth of the matter is, we have no idea what the scaffoldng is for. It COULD be to cap it, but I highly doubt that. It could just be an essential thing required to restart the cosntruction of the tower in the phase that it is in. Point being, if you don't know what's going on, don't jump to conclusions as anything could happen.

Also, happy 500th post

Ghostface79, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #3909
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

I'll bet the scaffolding is merely for maintenance and/or inspection purposes. Either would be useful should the tower resume construction to completion or to capping the podium.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #3910
weidncol

The bit about maintenance actually sort of ties into what I said about being a required thing to resume construction for a building in this phase; to replace the rebar that has been exposed for over 2 years.

Old May 9th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #3911
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
The bit about maintenance actually sort of ties into what I said about being a required thing to resume construction for a building in this phase; to replace the rebar that has been exposed for over 2 years.
People who make comments like this having absolutely no knowledge of the construction industry are actually frustrating to those of us who do. Rebar cannot be replaced without completely tearing down the concrete that encases it! Also rebar of the sizes involved in this type of construction will have not deteriorated to any appreciable degree over 2 years. Rebar extensions to continue upward will just be tied onto the existing Rebar stubs when construction resumes. There is absolutely no need to install this scaffolding except for capping off the stub!

Eric Offereins liked this post
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #3912
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
Guaranteeing loans is worth a lot of money--or else why would Silverstein bother to request it?
Yeah it is worth a lot of money, which is different from costing a lot of money. Silverstein is paying and the PA only stands to gain. If Silverstein defaults, the PA receives an indefinite source of income planted next to their monumental investment (the hub). If he doesn't default, the far more likely scenario, the PA gets more money anyway, which they need for the new bus terminal.

You seem to be opposed to this deal out of principle (teaching Larry a lesson) rather than in consideration of the real-life results...

Hey, I agree that the PA should get out of the real estate business–it's really not their strong point anymore–but the fate of 3WTC is at an extremely crucial and no less fragile junction. It's a special case with unique circumstances (the delicate GroupM and Westfield deals) that demand action now, and afterwords, the PA can sell the entire site and leave Larry to deal with it himself for all I care. The PA shouldn't cut off its nose to spite its face.

MarshallKnight, spectre000 liked this post
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #3913
weidncol

PLEASE don't call it "Ground Zero"...

Old May 10th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #3914
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
PLEASE don't call it "Ground Zero"...
I second that. It's not 2002 anymore.
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #3915
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeLord View Post
how are you telling me me what to call it this is my city and I was born and raised here I will call it what I want.
Because you sound ridiculous.

I was born and raised in the Cleveland area, but that doesn't mean I should start calling it something else. This should be called the World Trade Center as it is the World Trade Center. Simple.

Beyond that, "ground zero" is a decades old nuclear testing/war term that was improperly appropriated to describe the WTC after the attack.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #3916
weidncol

Fine, be your stuborn self. You will look really silly in 5 years if you say "Hey, want to go to Ground Zero" to someone. By then, even more people will start calling it it's official and proper name, which is World Trade Center.
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #3917
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeLord View Post
This is sad news they put up such a fight about the design in the beginning, don't get me wrong I'm glad they changed the design from the crap they were gonna give us. You all remember the renderings from one world trade they were horrid, even Donald Dump thought they were ugly and he has a dead cat on his head. Too many big Wigs too many greedy pigs at this rate hudson yards will be completed before ground zero.
There are talks about redesigning the top for economical purposes. No further details.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:56 AM   #3918
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Fan-frikin-tastic we're on hold+having a design change again.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #3919
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

wonder if they can redesign the top without screwing with the spires. They can't shorten the tower much more or it will throw off the whole ascending concept. Is there supposed to be expensive equipment up top with possible cheaper alternatives?

Last edited by Hudson11; May 10th, 2014 at 03:09 AM.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #3920
A.J.B 22
Big Pink

Likes (Received): 481

Maybe they'll remove some floors but keep the planned height?
A.J.B 22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center