daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #4041
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Yea.. I’m losing my optimism! Damn you PA!! What screwed the whole complex up imo and don’t get me wrong as I love the WTC hub, but that project pretty much handcuffed everything. I mean instead of focusing restoring all that office space lost from 9\11 at the complex the PA clearly wanted the Transpo hub with a $4 Billion and rising price tag.

I think they are right, they should get out of the real estate biz and I’ll throw in something extra…they should get out of the transportation hub biz as well. Incompetency and Lipper knows it and they are trying to save face to justify pissing money away for this overcost and overruns Calatrava transportation hub. That is my opinion.

A new state of the art worlds most expensive transportation hub in Earth will not increase traffic at the complex. It will be new office spaces that will be needed in an exponentially growing population in NYC. The PA put their bet in the wrong place asfaik.

The WTC complex will be completed after the full build out of the sucseffuly Hudson Yards and the re-emergence of Midtown East.
The Transportation Hub is being subsidized by the Department of Transportation through the Federal Transit Administration and the Port Authority. FTA is providing $2.872 billion (71.88%) and PA $1.12 billion (28.11%), giving a total amount of $3.995 billion.

FEMA, through the National Flood Insurance Program and other insurance agencies are covering most of the expenses related to Hurricane Sandy damages, total amount is currently undisclosed.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #4042
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
You're a fool if you think Silverstein cares about a "legacy". He just cares about money.

The Museum was not the Port Authority's fault and was built and paid for primarily by a private foundation. Also, you can't expect a new museum without a real endowment to get by without selling a bunch of crap. I think a museum was totally inappropriate (and there just isn't enough content for a real museum anyway), but you can't blame the PA--that's squarely on political figures like George Pataki, Rudy Giuliani, Chuck Schumer and George Bush who spent years grandstanding for a museum.

The transit center is not nearly as expensive as reported. The $4 billion figure includes *all* foundation and structure costs for the entire site, excluding only the museum and the various above-ground buildings other than the transit building. Yes, it was overpriced, but not nearly as much as is often reported. Also, they will make their money back--Westfield is paying far more in rent to run the new mall than the annual cost of servicing the debt the Port Authority took on to build it. The transit hub is a huge money-maker for the Port Authority.

It's the towers that are money-losers. The Port Authority will lose tens of millions annually on 1WTC going forward, with little prospect of breaking even for at least a decade. Silverstein is somewhat less saddled by excessive security costs, etc. because his buildings aren't the tallest one (so the NYPD and politicians interfered less, plus they have less power over the Silverstein buildings), but they still don't have great prospects. Small wonder the Port Authority is uninterested in throwing even more money into the pit.

If a guarantee were free, banks would be falling all over themselves to give Larry Silverstein a big fat guarantee. As a practical matter, there is a very real chance that this project will not make money and have serious trouble servicing its debt. It's not certain, but it's a big risk, and taking on risks is expensive. 4WTC and 1WTC are already struggling to sign full rosters of tenants, and the commercial real estate market is not getting stronger in lower Manhattan. That guarantee will be expensive in the private markets; the Port Authority would be effectively paying Silverstein the money it will now cost him to go buy a guarantee from a bank.

Or would you like to be the one telling us ten years from now how providing the guarantee was free when the development goes bankrupt, the Port Authority owes $1 billion and Larry Silverstein owes nothing? It's precisely this gross financial ignorance that leads political figures to make terrible decisions for their cities in providing huge giveaways and corporate welfare to projects like 3WTC and giant football stadiums.
Silverstein is 83 years old... he cares.... he can't make money and horde it beyond the grave, he needs and wants his legacy now and a lot of criticism of him is really motivated by pathetic anti- Jewish prejudice. All the time wasted on the extravagant and wasteful transit center slowed progress tremendously... there is so much online about what a corrupt travesty over the past ten years regarding the PA and the enormously inflated white elephant of a transit hub it's pathetic. Anything that continues leaving this complex unfinished will indeed cost the PA far more in the long run. Modern office space is at a premium.... you get the ball rolling with Group M and it makes it easier for others to come in. The thing about the Group M deal was thinking out of the box... not merely going after finance and banking firms but media, tech, the more diverse the better.

Others are more eloquent and well versed than myself but there are the visionaries, and there are the hacks. This PA ******* is a hack... he pleads for fiscal responsibility now, but in the long run he will do his agency and the city a lot better if he just works his ass off and helps make a deal with Silverstein. We have a month or so, and maybe should hold our tongues until things are made clearer one way or another that things will get done soon or regress to an uncertain situation that could halt development of the site for years. Make the damn deal, and stop puffing and pounding your chest!!!!!!!!!!

Enigmatism415 liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #4043
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10287

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
If they don't figure something out in the next several weeks (most likely they will not, due to such short term thinking) Silverstein can forget about seeing this tower and Building 2 finished in his lifetime. It will be "Hole in the Ground II" for the site.
And the added injury is that two holes in the ground is the last thing this site needs again.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #4044
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

I think Larry will get this tower built sooner than everyone now expects.
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #4045
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...inancing-today

Port Authority Seeks Private Money for Trade Center Tower

By David M. Levitt
May 29, 2014

Quote:
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is seeking to bring more private money into a financing package to help Larry Silverstein build 3 World Trade Center in lower Manhattan after commissioners balked at providing a $1.2 billion loan guarantee.

The agency is working toward a public-private partnership on the tower that would reduce its risk, Vice Chairman Scott Rechler said at a Port Authority meeting in New York. The agency yesterday canceled a vote on a financing package that included the loan guarantee.

“We spent the last three months looking at private-sector alternatives and we’ve had some interest, from reinsurers or others, from some of the largest financial-services players in the world,” Rechler said. “Recent developments have given us confidence this can be achieved.”

In the past several months, private capital providers have become more open to considering investing in the project because of continued economic improvement and evidence of “robust” office leasing in lower Manhattan, Port Authority Director Patrick Foye said at a press conference after the meeting.

“This whole discussion and negotiation began in the context of a belief that the private sector was not able several months ago to provide financing,” he said. “It is now the case, and we discussed this in public in April, that there were discussions with multiple private-sector parties for a significant private-sector role” in addition to investment from Silverstein’s company.

The authority and Silverstein are looking beyond the banks that traditionally have funded office construction for “someone who was willing to be somewhat more creative in structure,” Rechler said.

“The traditional financial market for construction loans of this nature still doesn’t exist,” Rechler said at the press conference.

Port Authority Commissioner Kenneth Lipper said he was pleased with the plan to bring in private investment and that Silverstein is interested in the process. He pronounced the $1.2 billion loan guarantee dead.

“I always believed the private market would take care of this,” Lipper said yesterday. “The private sector has money available for it if the developer will give up a portion of his equity, as his peer group does.”

He cited as an example Stephen Ross’s Related Cos., which sold a portion of its interest in its $20 billion Hudson Yards development on Manhattan’s far west side to Oxford Properties Group, an arm of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...er-one-brewing

3 W.T.C. deal falls apart, but another one is brewing

By Ryan Hutchins
May. 29, 2014

Quote:
Vice Chairman Scott Rechler, who championed the deal that fell through, said the authority will move aggressively to create a “hybrid” public-private financing model. This, he said, will involve some sort of non-traditional financing organization. Lipper said it’s what he wanted all along. “It's where I started out,” Lipper said. “This should be a private-sector deal. The private sector has money available for it if the developer will give up a portion of his equity, as his peer group does, such as Related at Hudson Yards.”

That could involve a REIT, an insurance company or even a pension fund, he said. While some might scoff at that last one, given the scrutiny pension funds in this country now face, it’s worth pointing back to Hudson Yards, where a Canadian—yes, Canadian—pension fund helped back the project. That’s the Ontario Municipal Employees' Retirement System, or OMERS. “Listen, it's a big business,” Lipper said. “OMERS is a major participant in that business, and they certainly know it, and would certainly be welcome along with any other type of participants.” Could Lipper be right? Will this really work?

Charles V. Bagli reports this morning that Silverstein, despite his reaction, has been searching for outside lending sources: “Knowing that the board of the Port Authority is sharply divided on the matter, however, Mr. Silverstein has been working on lining up money from possible backup lenders: a financial institution; an insurance company; a nontraditional lender such as SL Green Realty, a publicly traded real estate company; or Blackstone Group, a private equity firm.”

iamtheSTIG, A.J.B 22 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #4046
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkey Lion View Post
I think Larry will get this tower built sooner than everyone now expects.
Indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if these repeated delays are negotiation tactics. A game of chicken.

I doubt that they dare push this beyond the expiration of the Group M contract. Silverstein and the PA both stand too much to lose.

But they may get awfully close to try to make Larry sweat a bit and see if he lower his demands. And that is not a bad idea.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #4047
weidncol

The articles I just posted show there is certainly still hope for this tower. I'm not worrying too much about it.
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #4048
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4537

This now does indeed seem that Silverstein was using the PA, and this current searching was always a back up, to counter balance all this

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #4049
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I actually went off the deep end yesterday but in reality there is time and I expect the vote to go last minute b4 the GroupM deadline. I should have known better. Post reports does sound promising as both sides are working for something that could satisfy all for tower 3 to continue. I'm happy to report my optimism has returned. Lol

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

WillBuild, A.J.B 22 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #4050
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I actually went off the deep end yesterday but in reality there is time and I expect the vote to go last minute b4 the GroupM deadline. I should have known better. Post reports does sound promising as both sides are working for something that could satisfy all for tower 3 to continue. I'm happy to report my optimism has returned. Lol
I'm glad... so long as they come up with a deal,and get this tower done then the incentive and momentum will be there afterwards to finish things up with WTC2. If this new push collapses, momentum will be set back and possibly stalled for years.... And I don't even think Lipper really wants that from I could gather from the new article. So hopefully optimism really should abound that everyone gets the deal safely secured and they can build up again on WTC3!
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #4051
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
This now does indeed seem that Silverstein was using the PA, and this current searching was always a back up, to counter balance all this
There's nothing wrong with trying to get away with as much as you can as long as you have a backup plan, right?
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #4052
weidncol

The current situation actually doesn't look all the bad as Silverstein has a backup plan ready. All he was trying to do is milk the PA for as much as he could get, which obviously didn't work based from yesterday. Now he has to use the backup plans he's had planned for a few months now. What's more is the PA is actually helping with the private sector loan now, so I have high hopes this will continue.

citybooster, A.J.B 22 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #4053
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNYC View Post
If 3WTC fails, 2WTC will fail too. It's extremely important that the tower resumes construction asap.
That's the worst part. Tower 2 is the best one of the bunch in my opinion. Once constructed, it may really complement 1WTC. Here's to hoping.

birchey, SparkyyHD, tstormers liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #4054
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28200

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
The current situation actually doesn't look all the bad as Silverstein has a backup plan ready. All he was trying to do is milk the PA for as much as he could get, which obviously didn't work based from yesterday. Now he has to use the backup plans he's had planned for a few months now. What's more is the PA is actually helping with the private sector loan now, so I have high hopes this will continue.
So do I. This may be a good solution.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:30 AM   #4055
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

'In time' could also be thirty years from now...
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:49 AM   #4056
citybooster

If smart, cool heads prevail and the get the new financial deal done and keep Group M.. and that's a key, IF... it should happen but egos and agendas could still get in the way... WTC3 will be up in two years and those who are bullish about downtown economic opportunities will be proven right and soon afterward WTC 2 will go up... completing the WTC complex in as timely a manner as possible is win/win/ win for Silverstein, the PA and New York City.
Old June 1st, 2014, 03:08 PM   #4057
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28200

Clock is ticking though. Group M will quit if there is no solution by the end of this month.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:41 PM   #4058
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10287

Why doesn't Silverstein play foot-in-door? His high request was denied, now go in for a "more reasonable" request from the PA and then line up the rest of the funds through private loans?

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 10:05 PM   #4059
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

That's his only option now. I don't blame him for trying his luck with the PA but I'm not sure why he waited so long to look at all the option available in order to get this tower built, and now we find out he has quite a few. He can reach deeper into his pocket, he can seek more private market funds, or he can partner with other developers as this article mentions ( which I think is what will happen).
In the end as I said before this tower will move forward cause there's too much at stake for all the stakeholders, Silverstein, the PA and as the article states GroupM itself in terms of $.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ins-nine-lives

Quote:
There is a widely held view in the city's real estate industry that World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein has nine lives.
The phrase might seem trite if not for the way Mr. Silverstein, who turned 83 in May, has demonstrated his resiliency during the past 12 1/2 years rebuilding Ground Zero. During that time, he has weathered impasses with the owner of the site, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, as well as widespread calls for his ouster, an accusation by former Mayor Michael Bloomberg that he had none of his own money invested in the project, and a recession that nearly sank his plans to build more office towers there.
Now Mr. Silverstein faces his toughest challenge yet: persuading the private market to invest in his tower at 3 World Trade Center. The Port Authority board of commissioners last week declined Mr. Silverstein's request that it use its bonding authority to guarantee $1.2 billion of financing necessary for the 2.5 million-square-foot, $2.3 billion structure.
Mr. Silverstein has always said the private sector could better rebuild the area than the government agencies that have thrown billions of dollars into the effort. Now he'll have to put the private sector's money where his mouth is.
And yet the decision, which Mr. Silverstein said left him "surprised," puts him in an unfamiliar position. He has long relied on government support to advance his agenda downtown. Silverstein Properties built 4 World Trade Center and 7 World Trade Center, in part by using hundreds of millions of dollars of insurance proceeds from the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
The company has burned through more than $460 million in insurance it reserved for 3 World Trade Center. Those funds were used to construct the building's below-grade infrastructure and first eight stories, where it is currently capped. That space will be used for retail and the mechanical systems for the neighboring PATH hub—areas of the building that Silverstein Properties does not control.
The government also helped Mr. Silverstein recently complete the office tower at 4 World Trade Center. The Port Authority and city together leased more than 1 million square feet in that 2.3 million-square-foot building and provided a guarantee for its financing.
"Larry was used to getting everything he wanted at the site," said Chris Ward, the former executive director of the Port Authority who hammered out a 2010 agreement for the agency to provide Mr. Silverstein with $200 million in financial backing. "To lose the support he was hoping to get, I think must be a shock and a blow."
'Hybrid' deal

The Port Authority hasn't ruled out what its vice chairman, Scott Rechler, called a "hybrid" arrangement in which it would offer some financial backing if Mr. Silverstein could raise substantial private capital. However, for the time being, it appears that the agency's commitment is back to the $200 million set in 2010.
But time is running out. Media and advertising company GroupM, an anchor tenant for the planned 80-story building, has committed to leasing 515,000 square feet. GroupM can back out of the deal at the end of June, though sources said the firm is reluctant to walk away because doing so would mean losing $90 million in incentives from the city and state during the life of its lease.
Other landlords have championed the deal with GroupM and the construction of 3 World Trade Center because they say the tenant will draw more media companies downtown. When the tower is built, it will largely complete the World Trade Center site, where for years the mess of construction has dissuaded tenants from the area.
Vulnerable spot

"I am confident that Mr. Silverstein and the private sector and the Port Authority will be able to come together and find a responsible solution that meets the important objective of completing the World Trade Center site," said John Zuccotti, co-chairman of Brookfield Office Properties, downtown's largest commercial landlord.
Still, the firms whose names have been circulated as potential candidates to partner with Mr. Silverstein—a list that includes Starwood Capital, SL Green and Vornado—show what a vulnerable position Mr. Silverstein is in now that the Port Authority has yanked away its $1.2 billion guarantee. Private market financing would come with vastly different deal terms than what he is used to at the World Trade Center site.

Those partners would likely require concessions that Mr. Silverstein has been loath to make in the past, namely a dramatic reduction in the size of his ownership stake in 3 World Trade Center. To build the property, Mr. Silverstein may have to settle for modest development fees—the kind of thin profits that rival developer the Related Cos. said it had to accept in order to put together the financing for two office towers at its Hudson Yards development. Related Chief Executive Steven Ross previously stated the firm was delivering that space "at cost" to its tenants.
"When firms like the Blackstone Group do a deal like this, they're looking to yield high returns for the risk," said Dan Fasulo, a managing director at Real Capital Analytics, suggesting that those firms' profits would have to come at Mr. Silverstein's expense.
The tenor of Mr. Silverstein's negotiations could likely depend on the health of the leasing market downtown. The Durst Organization, which is struggling to lease 1 World Trade Center, has attempted to portray the market as soft in order to discourage new construction.
Indefatigable as always, Mr. Silverstein delivered a hopeful statement, even after the Port Authority's decision. "We are committed to continuing the incredible momentum that has been realized in lower Manhattan to date and remain 100% focused on ensuring a fully rebuilt and revitalized World Trade Center in the heart of the world's most dynamic urban neighborhood," Mr. Silverstein said.

citybooster, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; June 2nd, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 03:57 PM   #4060
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Stunted Progress by SamuelWalters74, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center