daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #4741
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
Errr....4WTC, 1WTC and the transit hall - not to mention the Memorial & museum; they don't meet your high standards?
Actually, not really. 4WTC is short for the site and under designed. The cladding is its only redeeming feature.
1WTC did slightly better, but the juxtaposition of the base, central tower, and tacky cheapened antennae and crown make it visually incongruent. I also think as a landmark, it should have been taller. The transit hall is okay, but is way overpriced.
So, no, they didn't meet my standards. I'm hoping for something better from the remaining two towers.

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #4742
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post
Are they working on the external elevator now at the back of the building?
yes
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #4743
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprimal1 View Post
ill be a fossil in the ground by the time this tops off
That would be 2 WTC.

This is will T/O by late 2016.
Old October 21st, 2014, 12:35 AM   #4744
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

as a part of my lego architecture NWTC 3 etc is there[IMG][/IMG]

Informative, iamtheSTIG liked this post
optimusprimal1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:34 AM   #4745
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Actually, not really. 4WTC is short for the site and under designed. The cladding is its only redeeming feature.
1WTC did slightly better, but the juxtaposition of the base, central tower, and tacky cheapened antennae and crown make it visually incongruent. I also think as a landmark, it should have been taller. The transit hall is okay, but is way overpriced.
So, no, they didn't meet my standards. I'm hoping for something better from the remaining two towers.
4WTC was intentionally understated by design. I think it's beautiful as is. Also it's worth pointing out it is the shortest of the 4 towers again by design. I do agree it's unfortunate that 1 wtc was cheapened a bit by the antenna (spire) but it still is a very handsome building. Also it too is the height that it is by design: 1362 to the roofline matches the old 1 wtc. and of course, 1776 to the tip of the spire. So while not perfect, I think the site is quite good so far. Just my opinion.
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:38 AM   #4746
weidncol

1,368. 1,362 was the height of 2 WTC.
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:44 AM   #4747
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post

Not to disprove you or your opinion, but Four World Trade Centers height is designed with a specific architectural and visually symbolic plan. It is 298 m (978 ft) to correspond with and to encapsulate the original proposal. Also, in my humble opinion, it’s 'under design' has made it synonymous with being the stealthiest building in the world ... ain't nobody catching that from a distance. Also, its 'under design' is what has made it such an attraction by everyone.

It is an example of how modern architecture can be both simplistic and complex, producing a masterpiece of ingenuity. All the buildings on the site have many hidden architectural symbolisms, such as the way that the upper part of the facade inclines toward the towers to the north and is meant as a unifying gesture. Four World Trade Centers design combines classic, with contemporary thinking which in my opinion has created a hidden gem, a sharp, innovative and unique building.

I also think that One World Trade Center is congruent. The building’s facade slowly transcends into the opening fins of the base. This to me creates the atmosphere of a free flowing and open area, in contrast to the fortified inner layer. The way in which the light refracts of the fins, creating a shimmering inconsistency of subtle colours, brings a dimension of attraction, visual mesmerisation and distinction. Whilst I preferred the radome cover aesthetically, the exposed antenna is both practical and enabled the completion of the tower.

Who knows what the future holds, perhaps its design will be modified, however at the moment it mirrors that of the Empire State, Chrysler Building and Four Times Square. Personally, it has a unique shape which bears strength and unity and when lit with LEDs it looks beautiful, almost like something from a science fiction film. Nothing here is cheap or tacky, things may have been revised for financial, or construction reasons, but there are many other factors involved. I also do not think that height justifies a greater landmark.

We have recreated what once was, solidified the past and brought an essence of the original skyline into a modern medium. Also, I feel as though the height of One World Trade Center fits perfectly again with the skyline. Anything larger and it may have disrupted the flow of the architecture. The aim was not to change, but rectify what existed, in doing so; the classic skyline has transformed, but retained its pattern and structure. Bringing back, but reinventing.

I promise I am not crazy.. this is what essays do to you :cries: Nonetheless, the Transportation Hub is not a product, it is a structure and I feel as though the financial aspect is irrelevant as long as the outcome is successful. Personally the Transportation Hub is one of the most stunning structures I have ever seen. It is clever, beautiful, elegant but also strong and significantly symbolic.

I feel as though judgements against the site should wait till it is completely finished. When it is finished I am sure it will look ... I cannot express my words towards how the site will look when it is finished as I have been watching this site since 2008, when I was in Year 7 and have grown with it as so many other people have. Regardless of opinion it is a testament to world class resources, dedication, effort, togetherness and the ability for all to rise in tragic circumstances. Once done ... I feel it will reproduce the same awe, momentum and significance that the original World Trade Center was so distinct with.

Just my opinion, but I hope I can share some insight and perspective to enlighten what I think is a very significant site.

Last edited by Informative; October 21st, 2014 at 05:21 AM.
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:30 AM   #4748
Aalecki

Likes (Received): 1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post
Are they working on the external elevator now at the back of the building?

Is that a concrete pump in place in the core?
Aalecki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 03:51 PM   #4749
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Yup!
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 07:05 PM   #4750
davidagnino

Likes (Received): 50

One question: What are those structures being built at ground level at the North East corner of the tower?
davidagnino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM   #4751
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidagnino View Post
One question: What are those structures being built at ground level at the North East corner of the tower?
Thats the Vehicular Security Center, Liberty Park and St. Nicholas Church

All 3 should be complete by 2017.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:10 PM   #4752
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22549

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidagnino View Post
looks to me like they're just working on the sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Thats the Vehicular Security Center, Liberty Park and St. Nicholas Church

All 3 should be complete by 2017.
that's not northeast or even on the corner of the building
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:35 PM   #4753
Zackalax13

Likes (Received): 143

I think Davidagnino was talking about these. Now I'm curious too!

davidagnino liked this post
Zackalax13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:37 PM   #4754
weidncol

All that back there will be the loading dock for construction materials.

weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:40 AM   #4755
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

World Trade Center Tower Rides a Muni-Bond Revival
Developer to Sell $1.6 Billion of Tax-Exempt Bonds

http://online.wsj.com/articles/world...LE_Video_Third
Quote:
After more than a year of uncertainty, a third tower at the World Trade Center site appears poised to rise thanks to an unlikely catalyst: a turnaround in the market for municipal bonds.

Developer Larry Silverstein is planning to sell $1.6 billion of tax-exempt bonds to finance 3 World Trade Center as soon as next week, a move that would give the 1,170-foot tall New York tower the funding to move forward.

If the sale proves successful, the 2.5 million square-foot tower would be the latest byproduct of investors’ hunt for yield. With Treasury yields pushing lower, investors have been searching for investments that generate better returns, even if the risks are greater, benefiting everything from Silicon Valley startups to toll roads.

Executives involved with the tower began looking for money last year and determined there wasn’t enough investor demand. But a rally in the muni-bond market has given them confidence the bonds will sell and the tower can rise on the 16-acre site.

The improvement in the muni market “has created real optimism about this transaction,” said Janno Lieber, who oversees World Trade Center development for Silverstein Properties Inc.

Limited muni-bond supply due to reduced borrowing by cities and states helped push muni-bond rates to a 2014 low of 2.19% last week, from 3.3% in January, according to the S&P Municipal Bond Index. Bond yields move in the opposite direction of prices.

The 3 World Trade Center bonds would be at a higher rate—expected to be between 5% and 6%—but still below what traditional lenders charge for construction debt. Adding to their appeal: The tower’s bonds are tax-exempt because of congressional action related to the site’s rebuilding.

Still, the bonds aren’t without risk. The 3 World Trade property, nearly the size of the Empire State Building, is just 20% leased, leaving a large space to be filled in an office market that is only gradually improving.

“Rates are so low that people are stretching for yield, which often means going down the credit scale,” said Howard Cure, head of municipal research at Evercore Wealth Management LLC, which oversees about $5.4 billion.

Silverstein has been planning the tower for years, although construction was halted at eight stories until the developer locked in a tenant and financing, based on the terms of a 2010 government-aid agreement.

The developer secured its tenant last year when advertising firm GroupM, a division of WPP, agreed to take 515,000 square feet in the base of the building.

But when Silverstein looked at its options for financing, it saw that the interest payments on municipal debt would be too high. Meanwhile, banks weren’t willing to make a loan for a building with so much vacancy. Lenders have remained relatively conservative since the downturn, and typically lend only for buildings with significant leasing agreements in place.

“The banks are not in a position to take that risk yet,” Christopher Haynes, president of loan-advisory firm Broadacre Financial Corp., said of construction loans for office towers without tenants. “I just don’t think the market’s there.”

Silverstein initially went to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey—which owns the 16-acre site—and asked the agency to back most of the debt. While agency officials were supportive, its board rejected the request in the early summer, leading Mr. Silverstein to turn back to the bond market.

The result was encouraging. Silverstein’s bankers at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and other advisers told the developer the deal might be able to work based on the terms of the 2010 aid package, in which the Port Authority would cover the first $210 million of shortfalls to investors.

Aided further by a noticeable uptick in the lower-Manhattan leasing market, Silverstein put in $50 million of equity and the bankers began to seek investors.

In recent weeks, bond managers have toured the site, walking through the under-construction concourse below the tower while strolling by 4 World Trade Center, the recently completed tower that also was built by Silverstein, and 7 World Trade Center, Silverstein’s fully leased tower built in 2006.

For the investors, the risk lies largely with the state of the Manhattan office market. While a number of companies like Time Inc. recently have been opting to move from Midtown to lower Manhattan, any slowdown in the economy could quickly put a halt to pricey moves and cause companies to stay in place.

It isn’t clear how much time Silverstein believes the building will take to lease up fully. But an independent appraisal provided to bond investors projects the tower will be leased by 2021, three years after it is completed, assuming it secures financing this fall.

Vertical_Gotham, McSky liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:43 AM   #4756
weidncol

Nice read, but old news for all of us here.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:38 PM   #4757
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informative View Post
Not to disprove you or your opinion, but Four World Trade Centers height is designed with a specific architectural and visually symbolic plan. It is 298 m (978 ft) to correspond with and to encapsulate the original proposal. Also, in my humble opinion, it’s 'under design' has made it synonymous with being the stealthiest building in the world ... ain't nobody catching that from a distance. Also, its 'under design' is what has made it such an attraction by everyone.

It is an example of how modern architecture can be both simplistic and complex, producing a masterpiece of ingenuity. All the buildings on the site have many hidden architectural symbolisms, such as the way that the upper part of the facade inclines toward the towers to the north and is meant as a unifying gesture. Four World Trade Centers design combines classic, with contemporary thinking which in my opinion has created a hidden gem, a sharp, innovative and unique building.

I also think that One World Trade Center is congruent. The building’s facade slowly transcends into the opening fins of the base. This to me creates the atmosphere of a free flowing and open area, in contrast to the fortified inner layer. The way in which the light refracts of the fins, creating a shimmering inconsistency of subtle colours, brings a dimension of attraction, visual mesmerisation and distinction. Whilst I preferred the radome cover aesthetically, the exposed antenna is both practical and enabled the completion of the tower.

Who knows what the future holds, perhaps its design will be modified, however at the moment it mirrors that of the Empire State, Chrysler Building and Four Times Square. Personally, it has a unique shape which bears strength and unity and when lit with LEDs it looks beautiful, almost like something from a science fiction film. Nothing here is cheap or tacky, things may have been revised for financial, or construction reasons, but there are many other factors involved. I also do not think that height justifies a greater landmark.

We have recreated what once was, solidified the past and brought an essence of the original skyline into a modern medium. Also, I feel as though the height of One World Trade Center fits perfectly again with the skyline. Anything larger and it may have disrupted the flow of the architecture. The aim was not to change, but rectify what existed, in doing so; the classic skyline has transformed, but retained its pattern and structure. Bringing back, but reinventing.

I promise I am not crazy.. this is what essays do to you :cries: Nonetheless, the Transportation Hub is not a product, it is a structure and I feel as though the financial aspect is irrelevant as long as the outcome is successful. Personally the Transportation Hub is one of the most stunning structures I have ever seen. It is clever, beautiful, elegant but also strong and significantly symbolic.

I feel as though judgements against the site should wait till it is completely finished. When it is finished I am sure it will look ... I cannot express my words towards how the site will look when it is finished as I have been watching this site since 2008, when I was in Year 7 and have grown with it as so many other people have. Regardless of opinion it is a testament to world class resources, dedication, effort, togetherness and the ability for all to rise in tragic circumstances. Once done ... I feel it will reproduce the same awe, momentum and significance that the original World Trade Center was so distinct with.

Just my opinion, but I hope I can share some insight and perspective to enlighten what I think is a very significant site.
As I said, I really hope that the remaining two towers will improve the site. You are entitled to your opinion, however. If you think that the towers that have been built so far have already created a great and successful development, good for you. I'm holding out for something better. Not necessarily for the design, but if you want to look at something I think would have have been appropriately tall and dominant for 1 WTC, take a look at the Chow Tai Fook Tower in Guangzhou, China.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:27 PM   #4758
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackalax13 View Post
I think Davidagnino was talking about these. Now I'm curious too!

Those look like tower sections for the hoist (elevator)

uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:47 PM   #4759
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
Those look like tower sections for the hoist (elevator)
I pretty sure that just will be a roof protecting workers from falling debris. Elevator will be in the middle ( at least one of them)
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 01:34 AM   #4760
weidncol

All photos provided by NYguy @SSP.

October 21, 2014

streetscapeer, davidagnino, Swiddle liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center