daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #5261
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
as opposed to 1 WTC where the first 20 floors might as well be the core. The core gets smaller after this.
After the podium, the core only gets smaller to the extent of bumping the western section of the core (which houses the elevator banks serving the trading floors and an egress stairs -relocated), north and south faces will remain the same (distance between glass and core wall is of 45ft) until they reach a setback.

Hudson11 liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #5262
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrocer View Post
But the progress is very slow and I hope they will go faster soon, because I suppose that my favourite 2WTC won't start till they finish the "3" tower...
No, it doesn't have to do with completing 3WTC. For building 2WTC what they need is to find a large tenant. Once they find it, they will resume construction, whether 3WTC is completed or not.

baronson, Davidsam52, Dakarbeige liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #5263
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Core forms were raised today. Steel construction can't be too far away now. I wonder if they will wait until third tower crane gets put in.

Old February 19th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #5264
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Should be anytime now. There are a lot of steel bits on the deck, albeit mostly smaller pieces.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #5265
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

Why didn't they put evergreens in the WTC memorial?
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #5266
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

You think people want to walk though pine trees?

b.rhow, onewtclover, SkYsCrApEr2013 liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:21 PM   #5267
TunCity

Likes (Received): 7

This building has been a stump for so long, i can wait to finally watch it rise
TunCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #5268
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 853

No need to wait. It's rising.

davidagnino liked this post
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #5269
Aalecki

Likes (Received): 1762

Why is it that in NYC they still use structural steel to construct floor spaces instead of forming and pouring reinforced slabs like the rest of the world?
Aalecki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #5270
NYStruct

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalecki View Post
Why is it that in NYC they still use structural steel to construct floor spaces instead of forming and pouring reinforced slabs like the rest of the world?
This is not only in NYC but pretty common in the US and around the world.

Basically for similar depth/width ratio, steel beams can span longer distance than concrete beams (unless post-tensioned concrete is used but that is a whole different story). So for unobstructed floor plans (such as for office with "open space" layout) and increased spacing between the columns/walls, steel construction is better.

Concrete shear walls is more advantageous for the lateral loads resisting system (both for stiffness and economic reasons), which is why a concrete core and steel floors makes sense for a lot of buildings.

Of course there are other factors such as historic/cultural: concrete has been invented in France where its use developed and generalized over Europe and is still favored to this day. In the US the steel industry "boomed" to support the war efforts, after which the steel manufacturing capacities were geared more toward the construction (there was also a lack of infrastructures to produce cement and concrete), so the steel construction was favored for large skyscrapers. In other "emerging" countries (Emirates, Qatar), both systems are used.

Nowadays it's mostly an economic question: construction in concrete is likely to be quicker, less expensive and the best choice in a country with a "weaker" (or not well established) steel trade and stronger concrete trade, and vice-versa.
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #5271
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Formwork and formwork platforms on the west section of the core are finally coming off. This part could take a while...

Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:36 AM   #5272
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Wow! Look at that core rising! I've only been out of the city for six weeks and it is already so much taller than it was when I saw it!

davidagnino liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #5273
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

They've finally begun raising the inner segments of the core scaffolding, after delaying so for several days. Weather perhaps?
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #5274
weidncol

That and a combination of them being in a mechanical/transition segment.

By the way, they aren't using scaffolding. It's a self-climbing platform system
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #5275
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

I don't understand how being at a mechanical section hinders progress. There isn't a major core reconfiguration (elevator shafts remain the same, HVAC shafts are built separately, and the core walls basically are extruded the way up). Any reasonable explanation?
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #5276
weidncol

As for a detailed explanation, you probably know better than me. I just gave a broad reason.

Also, the last Favco M720D should be coming in about a week or two.
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #5277
Aalecki

Likes (Received): 1762

Mechanical floors have additional reinforcing and bracing to manage the latteral movement of the building.
Aalecki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #5278
NYStruct

There is no significant change in the core before the 12th floor, where the West bank will stop. As a matter of fact the structural drawings for the core are the same for each floor between 7-10.

The only change above 12 is that the west bank will stop and the core will be square (before additional setbacks on the North and South sides at higher floors).

As Otie correctly pointed, there is no reconfiguration in the sliding formwork that would require a significant down time since all the openings for the elevators and MEP are the same. They do have to install link beams and embedded plates for the connections of the future steel beams, but that's the same as before.

More than likely, the slowdown is due to the extreme cold in the last couple of weeks: it is difficult to pump concrete at low temperature, and in addition high-strength concrete shall cure in a specific temperature range (above 50F for at least the first 3 days after placement) because low temperatures could freeze the pore water in the concrete mix before the hydration (chemical reaction/hardening of concrete) occurs. There are systems to heat the forms to maintain the concrete at the right temperature and other admixtures that can be used, but it will increase the setting time and there is only so much that can be done when the outside temperature is 15-20F...

Otie liked this post

Last edited by NYStruct; February 24th, 2015 at 06:31 PM.
NYStruct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #5279
NYStruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
As for a detailed explanation, you probably know better than me. I just gave a broad reason.

Also, the last Favco M720D should be coming in about a week or two.
I would be extremely surprised to see that Favco M760D installed in the next two weeks - I'd wager my paycheck that it will not be happening.

An "official" decision has yet to be made regarding the use of the Wolff 700B or the Favco M760D.

The Favco M760D would also need a shorter deck configuration which has not yet been approved for use in NYC.
NYStruct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #5280
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalecki View Post
The real question is why doesn't the rest of the world use steel

Steel is better and the US has a huge steel industry so it makes economic sense.
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center