daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2015, 02:00 PM   #6501
vincent1746

Likes (Received): 10067

From september :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2015, 03:50 PM   #6502
Dijk.

Likes (Received): 490

aa a nieuwe crane thats why the steel is so slow

Last edited by 0095914; October 3rd, 2015 at 05:26 PM.
0095914 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2015, 10:09 AM   #6503
birchey

Likes (Received): 64

Gotta love the angles on 4WTC.
Old October 5th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #6504
kznyc2k

Likes (Received): 1622

Old October 5th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #6505
ferraricaz

Likes (Received): 22

AMAZING HOW THE SKYLINE IN THE WTC SITE IS BEING RAISED, LOOKS GOOD, GOD BLESS YOU NYC

Scrapernab2 liked this post
ferraricaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #6506
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

Has it slowed down again?

No longer a westie, living by the beach now.
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #6507
Chris08876
Organischer Chemiker!

Likes (Received): 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyguy View Post
Has it slowed down again?
No its still going at full speed. Looks like they have been working on the steel framing outside of the core, then we should see a core jump once it gets to a certain level. Silverstien is hell bent on getting this finished.

Also, an insider at YIMBY forums mentioned to me that the fox deal is essentially done. So, good news for us all which means WTC2 should start contrcution sometime in 2016, for a 2020 opening. Marking 19 years since those savages tried to cripple us, but they failed, and we are only stronger as a result. Our spirit will never die.
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #6508
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4664

Great news.
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:41 AM   #6509
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Great news for 2WTC....I just hope that they do something with that design; to make it work better with the rest of the site. Still sorry that we won't be getting Foster's diamonds.
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:14 AM   #6510
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50837

9/11 Memorial by Andrew, on Flickr

IMG_3793 by Phil, on Flickr

АмУх, McSky, The Shard Baby, Qtya, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; October 6th, 2015 at 09:23 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:35 AM   #6511
kznyc2k

Likes (Received): 1622

Old October 6th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #6512
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17002

From Yesterday

Lower Manhattan Skyline viewed from Downtown Jersey City,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr

An Early Evening Walk in Manhattan,New York
by Corey Best, on Flickr

An Early Evening Walk in Manhattan,New York
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #6513
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris08876 View Post
No its still going at full speed. Looks like they have been working on the steel framing outside of the core, then we should see a core jump once it gets to a certain level. Silverstien is hell bent on getting this finished.

Also, an insider at YIMBY forums mentioned to me that the fox deal is essentially done. So, good news for us all which means WTC2 should start contrcution sometime in 2016, for a 2020 opening. Marking 19 years since those savages tried to cripple us, but they failed, and we are only stronger as a result. Our spirit will never die.
Progress has been ok but not full speed. The steel has been at that height for months because the East side had to play catch up and even that took a long time. You think the steel would be faster than the core but the core has made tremendous progress thankfully and plus the core is supposed to rise ahead of the steel. The crane on the northeast side is useless because they have to keep raising it once steel for the next two floors rises. It was a stupid place to put a crane but I guess they had no better alternatives.

I'm going to be honest. The rebuilding of the WTC was not a big "screw you" to the terrorists. Even they are over there saying "14 years and it still isn't fully completed yet?" The terrorists didn't fail, they destroyed our World Trade Center. They got what they wanted. There has been a lot of redesigning and now BIG's Tower 2 design. It's a disgrace. The Port Authority should not be running the WTC, they are the reason things have been sluggish. Silverstein is no better. He gave us numerous completion dates over the years that I hardly believe what he says anymore. Remember in 2008 he said "By 2012, all the Towers will be finished." I didn't believe him then. Now, I continue to feel the same. I doubt it will finish by 2020. Maybe 2021 or 2022, but not 2020. It would take at least 6 months to a year to get set up to restart construction, then at least 2-3 years for the Tower to top out. There is also the possibility of more unknown delays that could slow progress down like it did for the other Towers (the weather perhaps). That takes us to about 2019 to 2020. Then you have to give an additional year to two years max to do all the internal work so tenants can move in. Even then I doubt the Tower will be 100% finished. Tower 1 is still incomplete on the east side of its base because of the temporary loading dock built next to it. Tower 4's base is still incomplete inside where there is supposed to be retail. Still a long way to go. We will get there eventually. I just want to see this all finished. I enjoy the construction but this has been going on for far too long already. I hate to be harsh but I think a lot of people who have been following the rebuilding since 2006, like I have, would agree with me. If not oh well...

birchey, АмУх, The Shard Baby, dfiler liked this post
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #6514
BONIX

Likes (Received): 10

Nice Building and pics!
BONIX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #6515
АмУх

Likes (Received): 670

Is EarthCam.net down again?

mrsashko liked this post
АмУх no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #6516
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Earthcam is working again.

I see some steel columns on the core at the SE corner. Another setback coming up?

The Shard Baby liked this post
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #6517
Davidsam52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Progress has been ok but not full speed. The steel has been at that height for months because the East side had to play catch up and even that took a long time. You think the steel would be faster than the core but the core has made tremendous progress thankfully and plus the core is supposed to rise ahead of the steel. The crane on the northeast side is useless because they have to keep raising it once steel for the next two floors rises. It was a stupid place to put a crane but I guess they had no better alternatives.

I'm going to be honest. The rebuilding of the WTC was not a big "screw you" to the terrorists. Even they are over there saying "14 years and it still isn't fully completed yet?" The terrorists didn't fail, they destroyed our World Trade Center. They got what they wanted. There has been a lot of redesigning and now BIG's Tower 2 design. It's a disgrace. The Port Authority should not be running the WTC, they are the reason things have been sluggish. Silverstein is no better. He gave us numerous completion dates over the years that I hardly believe what he says anymore. Remember in 2008 he said "By 2012, all the Towers will be finished." I didn't believe him then. Now, I continue to feel the same. I doubt it will finish by 2020. Maybe 2021 or 2022, but not 2020. It would take at least 6 months to a year to get set up to restart construction, then at least 2-3 years for the Tower to top out. There is also the possibility of more unknown delays that could slow progress down like it did for the other Towers (the weather perhaps). That takes us to about 2019 to 2020. Then you have to give an additional year to two years max to do all the internal work so tenants can move in. Even then I doubt the Tower will be 100% finished. Tower 1 is still incomplete on the east side of its base because of the temporary loading dock built next to it. Tower 4's base is still incomplete inside where there is supposed to be retail. Still a long way to go. We will get there eventually. I just want to see this all finished. I enjoy the construction but this has been going on for far too long already. I hate to be harsh but I think a lot of people who have been following the rebuilding since 2006, like I have, would agree with me. If not oh well...
I do agree, you make some valid points. And I also do not like the new design of Tower 2....on its own it would be ok but Foster's design was so much more attractive. Not sure if I agree with your assertion that the terrorists "won", but there is no doubt....the rebuilding process HAS taken WAY too long.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #6518
Davidsam52

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
Earthcam is working again.

I see some steel columns on the core at the SE corner. Another setback coming up?

Indeed it would seem so !
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #6519
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
I do agree, you make some valid points. And I also do not like the new design of Tower 2....on its own it would be ok but Foster's design was so much more attractive. Not sure if I agree with your assertion that the terrorists "won", but there is no doubt....the rebuilding process HAS taken WAY too long.
That's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just meant that they destroyed what they wanted to destroy that day, killed innocent people who did nothing wrong, and we haven't fully bounced back yet, specifically with the rebuilding, and that is extremely embarrassing. I just don't see us a being "better" than before like others feel if it takes this long to build a complex like this. I understand the whole safety being a top priority but it's a lot more than that. The Port Authority doesn't care if they drag this out and the construction workers, no offense to them, don't mind if they milk this project. Either way they still get paid. The Tower 2 deal should have been finished by now and construction should have been commencing at least by now but 2016 will likely be the start year. They just keep wasting time. I want to see this thing done. We have been FAR TOO LONG without a completed World Trade Center.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #6520
NYStruct

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
That's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just meant that they destroyed what they wanted to destroy that day, killed innocent people who did nothing wrong, and we haven't fully bounced back yet, specifically with the rebuilding, and that is extremely embarrassing. I just don't see us a being "better" than before like others feel if it takes this long to build a complex like this. I understand the whole safety being a top priority but it's a lot more than that. The Port Authority doesn't care if they drag this out and the construction workers, no offense to them, don't mind if they milk this project. Either way they still get paid. The Tower 2 deal should have been finished by now and construction should have been commencing at least by now but 2016 will likely be the start year. They just keep wasting time. I want to see this thing done. We have been FAR TOO LONG without a completed World Trade Center.
I can understand some of your frustration with the pace on this project, but I disagree with your post and the one before on many levels...

I don't think the full completion of the project is ever going to completely remove the trauma of 9/11 and the anger, sadness and other emotions we felt that day, bring back the dead or be a big "screw you terrorists, whopdidoo we won". It's an important step in the healing process, and a symbol that we can rise again after falling. But these buildings are material objects made of steel and concrete and merely a manifestation of our "spirit" that should not be confused with our spirit itself. And terrorists did not win - if they had you might not be voicing your opinion on this forum the way you are.

Secondly, no matter how strong the symbol, there are also some economic realities in this world that just cannot be ignored (it's hard to feed on symbols only). WTC#3 could not be built before the financing was secured, which involved finding a tenant first. Same for WTC#2, but in this case the tenant put as a condition the redesign of the building which led to the switch to BIG's design. There could have been a lot of outrage if these towers had been built (with some public monies coming from the PA) only to sit empty for a while before being put on the market at a "discount" price and at a loss (especially after all the overruns for the Hub). In both cases waiting to get a deal with a tenant was a sensible thing to do - wanting the towers for "patriotic" reasons should not have driven to commit economic suicide.

No offense, but to me saying "I want this done now" without some understanding the intricacies and complexities of this project (from the standpoint of safety, engineering, economics and even politics) is a little childish and similar to a 6 years old throwing a tantrum because he wants to drive a Ferrari now... Sure I would like to see that site completed ASAP too, but I also know that you can't always get what you want (but if you try sometimes... you get what you need)

Just my 2 cents anyway - my apologies if I sounded harsh.

Oh and as far as the crane's position, NE and SW corners were the only sensible locations to cover most of the steel erection considering the interference with the core. In any other position, the cranes would not be able to erect as much steel because the core would be in the way.

Ghostface79, C30, floor23, birchey liked this post
NYStruct no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center