daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2011, 05:20 AM   #641
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

If you look at the old render on page one, you can see the x bracing formed the spires. I point that out because I notice the spires have changed as well.

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #642
HardBall

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
If you look at the old render on page one, you can see the x bracing formed the spires. I point that out because I notice the spires have changed as well.
It seems that with the redesign, it would probably be better for them to forgo the spires altogether. Instead, just extend the curtain walls up to the height of the would-be spires, which would blend much better with the new exterior. The spires were a natural companion of the original bracing on top of the facades, now that they are mostly gone, it no longer makes sense from the perspective of architectural form. And extending the curtain walls instead of spires shouldn't have a dramatic difference in cost for this tower.
HardBall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #643
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

If it's for economics I'm all for redesigns like this to allow the building to rise. I originally found it to be almost the odd one out of the group with the aggressive, though attractive bracing. The new design ties into the more uninterrupted curtainwall design of it's surrounding brothers.
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #644
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Being that economics seem to be such an issue with this complex that they re-designed an entire tower, does that mean LED lighting would be out of the question too? I know LED's weren't (as far as I know) ever planned for this building, but I think some nice usage of LED's at night for these buildings could do nicely for the skyline. I know Im not the only one who would find LED's nice, so is it at all a possibility? And does anyone know what LED's for this building would cost?
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #645
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Thanks for the diagram, Otie.

I think we should wait how it turns out in reality, it is difficult from the renders to estimate if things like the cladding/braces look good or not.

The most important thing still is that they build 3 WTC at all. If the removal of those x-braces saves costs and enables the funding of the building, then it is only logical to remove them. After all the tower has to bring profits to its owner, it is not build for decoration purposes..
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #646
FCU

Likes (Received): 19

3WTC has definitely lost something of its magic... But the public's opinion was the same of the original WTC in the seventies. Two gray, giant blocks, that didn't fit Lower Manhattan at all. After 9/11, the architecture of the original WTC was praised all around the world, but would those people say the same if the WTC was still standing? I don't think so.
FCU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #647
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

I honestly didn't like the bracing, so I am glad to hear they removed it. But while they're at it, why not remove ALL the bracing?
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #648
ThrEeve

Likes (Received): 0

I never liked the x braces on 3WTC, so this is good news for me. Now all it needs to do is lose the silly quad antennas.
ThrEeve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #649
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28331

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
So long X-bracing.
http://www.wtc.com/media/images/s/ar...e-center?sid=0

The lobby was blanded up as well. It was intended to be awash with video screens. Shame. This building has been gutted of everything that made it interesting.

Ugh.
OMG, that is bad.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #650
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrEeve View Post
I never liked the x braces on 3WTC, so this is good news for me. Now all it needs to do is lose the silly quad antennas.
I 100% agree with you. It looks better without the braces.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #651
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Ugh, why did they have to do that? maybe they should've never built 7wtc, and 4wtc. maybe then they would've had enough to atleast build 3wtc, noone needed those 2 bland boxes anyways.
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #652
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Construction on tower 7 started in 2002. None of the other buildings hadn't been planned yet.

So not building tower 7, wouldn't help tower 3 in any way.

Last edited by kingsc; June 24th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #653
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

LMC needed the office space badly after 9/11 too, so not building 7 wtc wouldve been foolish.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #654
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

as long as 2 WTC doesnt lose the diamond top i cant complain to much, the loss of the X's actually gives the tower a cleaner look, but skimping with the lobby crosses a line, that is virtually a public space, its the closest the general public will be able to enter the building and ruins the vibe surrounding the area. Any word on an anchor tenant? I keep reading of companies looking for large blocks of space, and the relatively low vacancy rate, i cant imagine a lot of buildings with so much continuous space available.

Last edited by dachacon; June 25th, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #655
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

I don't think the changes are that bad, the building still has a distinctive design. My only concern would be hoping the impressive feel of the lobby has not been changed as the lobby on this was by far my favorite.
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #656
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Are there any major tenants, other than UBS already known? Maybe a tenant demanded those bracings removed.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #657
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

We'll get used to it..Another bad thing is that we had floor plans and everything for previous version of tower 3..Now they changed design, changed facade, and the plans are not correct anymore..And the haven't released the new ones..I was looking forward to see how the are gonna put those steel parts up..It would be very interesting to watch..I wish they also released more renders and info about the new design..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #658
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Are there any major tenants, other than UBS already known? Maybe a tenant demanded those bracings removed.
Nope, only UBS which is not a tenant yet..They just said they're seriously interested to take that space..We're still waiting for official stuff..
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #659
DinoVabec
Worldwide

I just watched a bunch of old renders..And I'm pissed off again..**** you Larry, why did you do that? It was perfect..There's a lot of great details removed from all 4 facades..Impressive huge columns that supposed to go from sidewalk all the way up above the base, they're hidden now..A lot of steel is removed from the facade and replaced with empty glass windows..Not to mention X-es and /-es..I wonder why..Damn it..
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #660
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
I just watched a bunch of old renders..And I'm pissed off again..**** you Larry, why did you do that? It was perfect..There's a lot of great details removed from all 4 facades..Impressive huge columns that supposed to go from sidewalk all the way up above the base, they're hidden now..A lot of steel is removed from the facade and replaced with empty glass windows..Not to mention X-es and /-es..I wonder why..Damn it..
Um, unless I'm being thick, surely it can't be entirely Silverstein's fault? He's not the architect. He/ his company might say 'I don't like this' but surely Roger n Co. are directly responsible for the changes? I'm not defending the guy, I barely know who he is. I just know he's not the architect. I say 'know'. You'll probably tell me he has had a large hand in the plans now.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center