daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #901
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto

Well, and it bothers me that you use every opportunity to attack me

Seriously folks, you really think that in, let's say 50 or 100 years 1WTC will still be the tallest in NY? I mean, that's kinda ridiculous
Agreed, where is peoples sense of optimism?

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #902
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Well, and it bothers me that you use every opportunity to attack me

Seriously folks, you really think that in, let's say 50 or 100 years 1WTC will still be the tallest in NY? I mean, that's kinda ridiculous

That clearly not what anybody saying. What I'm saying is 5WTC won't be tallest. ESB was the tallest building in NYC for 40 years, 50 years altogether.

So you never know when the next, tallest building in NYC, is going to be open. Could be to day, could be September 2012
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #903
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
That clearly not what anybody saying. What I'm saying is 5WTC won't be tallest. ESB was the tallest building in NYC for 40 years, 50 years altogether.

So you never know when the next, tallest building in NYC, is going to be open. Could be to day, could be September 2012
But that's where I disagree. I don't say 5WTC will be the tallest, I only said 5WTC might be tallest. It might be and it might be not. Unlike you, I don't dare saying how tall a building that is so far in the future could be. And if a PA official said it'll be max 900ft, it still doesn't mean anything because plans in such an early phase can be very easily changed. Never forget that 1WTC was originaly supposed to look very differently from what is being built now.
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #904
kingsc

Don't get your hopes up kid. Now back to 3WTC. I still think all the x bracing should be removed. And maybe a glass color change. I think gold or amber would be nice colors for this building.
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #905
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I'm not getting my hopes up, I merely said that this might happen if demand is adequate for this to happen. And none of us can predict what demand will be in such far future, so anything's possible, nothing's certain
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #906
kingsc

You're beating a dead horse. Now let's talking about 3WTC.

Last edited by kingsc; July 27th, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #907
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Why would they build a 2000 foot tall World Trade Center building right next the new 1 World Trade Center? There's a reason it has the number 1 on it. It is THE new symbol of America, replacing the old Twin Towers.

Building a 2000 foot tall WTC building next to 1WTC is like proposing to your girlfriend at your brother's wedding:rude and disrespectful
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #908
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
You're beating a dead horse. Now let's talking about 3WTC.
No, I only refuse to predict the future with such certainity as you do.
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #909
azn_man12345

Why? We know for certain 5WTC won't be 2000 feet tall, or as you said on the 5WTC thread, even 1500 feet tall. The limit for it is 900 feet. As someone said over on 5's thread, any higher would ruin the spiral effect of the WTC towers.

Get over it.
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #910
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345
Why would they build a 2000 foot tall World Trade Center building right next the new 1 World Trade Center? There's a reason it has the number 1 on it. It is THE new symbol of America, replacing the old Twin Towers.

Building a 2000 foot tall WTC building next to 1WTC is like proposing to your girlfriend at your brother's wedding:rude and disrespectful
1wtc needs atleast 50 years or so to bask in it's idolatry, then they can talk about building a monster right in front of it, Possibly obscuring it's view from many angles. Otherwise it would be like you said, just plain disrespectful.
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #911
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
Why? We know for certain 5WTC won't be 2000 feet tall, or as you said on the 5WTC thread, even 1500 feet tall. The limit for it is 900 feet. As someone said over on 5's thread, any higher would ruin the spiral effect of the WTC towers.

Get over it.
We don't know anything for certain. Keep in mind that this building is still in the planning phase. Before construction starts there's no way to know something for certain.

And as to the spiral effect, it only matters until the PA or Larry could gain money by ruining it. Remember, it is money why skyscrapers are built, not a spiral effect

Now could we please stop this? The 5WTC thread is there for this discussion, please move there
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #912
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto

We don't know anything for certain. Keep in mind that this building is still in the planning phase. Before construction starts there's no way to know something for certain.

And as to the spiral effect, it only matters until the PA or Larry could gain money by ruining it. Remember, it is money why skyscrapers are built, not a spiral effect

Now could we please stop this? The 5WTC thread is there for this discussion, please move there
Too bad the 5wtc conversation is about buildings getting boners now.
Old July 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #913
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Old July 27th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #914
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22543

cooooooooooool. nice job, STR!
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #915
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

What program do you use str? Love your renderings!
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #916
Beargb

Likes (Received): 8

Awesome renderings - really a terrific job!

Still really dislike that they went away from the x braces in the middle of the tower - I thought those looked just awesome. Admittedly, I'm a huge fan of the John Hancock building, and this seemed to be it's sleeker, glassier cousin.

Does anyone know for sure why the braces were taken out? I would assume that it would have been significantly cheaper to build the tower with the braces in (as it was for the Hancock). I realize that it may block the view for a few offices, but it seems as if it truly wouldn't be that many - as the braces didn't appear very thick on the renders.

Just my 2 cents. Still like the building, but before it was my favorite of the 4. Now, I wouldn't go that far. Thanks for any answers in advance!
Beargb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #917
azn_man12345

Your suspicious are indeed correct. They removed the braces (as well as chopped off the height a bit) to reduce costs so this thing could get built.
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #918
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57917

Fantastic visualization, really a great job on that one! I'm curious about the software you used as well, STR.

Too bad they intend to leave out the braces. Those were the elements that really created a different character for 3WTC inside this all glassy ensemble.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #919
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
Your suspicious are indeed correct. They removed the braces (as well as chopped off the height a bit) to reduce costs so this thing could get built.
Has the height reduction been confirmed yet or is it just speculation?
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #920
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

There is no height reduction. The developer's website, www.wtc.com, states that it will be 1,170 feet tall. The website shows the new rendering of 3WTC and is up-to-date.

From www.wtc.com:

Designed by Richard Rogers, 3 World Trade Center at 175 Greenwich Street will rise 1,170 ft feet above street level. The 80-story building will include 2.8 million square feet of office space spread across 53 floors and five trading floors.

Office floorplates will range from 29,000 - 44,000 square feet and trading floors will include 68,000 square feet of space. 3 WTC will have five retail levels - one on the ground floor, two below-grade levels, and two levels above the ground floor.

Building Systems
The tower will consist of a central concrete core - steel encased in reinforced concrete — and be clad in an external structural steel frame. Safety systems are planned to exceed New York City building code and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey requirements. Designed to the highest energy efficiency ratings, 3 World Trade Center will seek to achieve the gold standard under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) by the U.S. Green Building Council.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center