daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2017, 01:13 AM   #9181
sodap0p53

Likes (Received): 33

^ Funny, from that vantage point you can almost see the "ghosts" of the twins in the skyline...

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #9182
Alvaro95

Likes (Received): 197

Illuminati confirmed!
Alvaro95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #9183
TheProdigySkylined

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvaro95 View Post
Illuminati confirmed!
Nah it just confirms what a mistake it was not rebuilding the Twins. Taller. Stronger.

Ah greed, ego and politics. Don't you just love it?

Rens Puts, k25150 liked this post
TheProdigySkylined no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #9184
baronson

Likes (Received): 713

I prefer the void as a reminder. Putting the buildings back up seems tacky and frankly disrespectful to the people that died (as if it never happened).
Old November 11th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #9185
TheProdigySkylined

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronson View Post
I prefer the void as a reminder. Putting the buildings back up seems tacky and frankly disrespectful to the people that died (as if it never happened).
No it wouldn't. It's the best tribute possible. Rebuilding stronger taller than before. Nobody will ever forget that day.

What's disrespectful is what we got together with a circus of a memorial where idiots leave trash on the names and smile gleefully as they take pictures with their selfie sticks.

I'd rather come to the site pay my respects and then look up at New Twin Towers with pride thank you very much. Just as I did in 1998.

The whole project is a joke. Still no 2WTC? Laughable. Could have had this whole thing done by 2011 if they rebuilt them.

LadyAmanita, Rens Puts, k25150 liked this post
Old November 11th, 2017, 01:33 AM   #9186
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Oh brother! Enough with the twins.

And I've never seen 'trash' on the memorial name plaques. The most I've seen were flowers or the American flag.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 05:04 AM   #9187
SgtPepper67

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Oh brother! Enough with the twins.

And I've never seen 'trash' on the memorial name plaques. The most I've seen were flowers or the American flag.
I go to college in the area, and i sometimes see trash in the memorial fountains. even as far as seeing a burger king cup in the water. along with coins.

TheProdigySkylined liked this post
SgtPepper67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 05:15 AM   #9188
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22516

Manhattan by Wender von Stender, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #9189
baronson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProdigySkylined View Post
No it wouldn't. It's the best tribute possible. Rebuilding stronger taller than before. Nobody will ever forget that day.

What's disrespectful is what we got together with a circus of a memorial where idiots leave trash on the names and smile gleefully as they take pictures with their selfie sticks.

I'd rather come to the site pay my respects and then look up at New Twin Towers with pride thank you very much. Just as I did in 1998.

The whole project is a joke. Still no 2WTC? Laughable. Could have had this whole thing done by 2011 if they rebuilt them.
We will agree to disagree. I think a rebuilt Twins would have suffered from some value-engineering like this complex did. Who knows we could very well still have been waiting for 2WTC to be built. And then that would be even more embarrassing.

Anyway, back on topic:

Photocred: @mchlanglo793 on Instagram

cnbnca, sgollis, CBrug, gaab1972, McSky and 7 others liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #9190
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5140

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProdigySkylined View Post

Not building 2WTC has nothing to do with the design of the towers. In case you can't remember there were other buildings in the old complex and they would have probably built those first, just like they built 4WTC and 7WTC before 1WTC. It would have been worse if only one of the twin towers was built and then we had to wait more than 10 years for the other one to start.

I could never even imagine americans, with their patriotism, throwing trash in the memorial, and it seems impossible that the developers would let that happen. People take pictures and selfies because it's a freaking tourist attraction, just like the original WTC once was, or any other landmark in a big city is. People back then wouldn't do that because they didn't have phones like we do nowadays, in case you haven't noticed.

The reality is they will never ever rebuild the twin towers and there's no point in whining about it.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Last edited by JMGA196; November 11th, 2017 at 09:14 PM.
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #9191
TheProdigySkylined

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronson View Post
We will agree to disagree. I think a rebuilt Twins would have suffered from some value-engineering like this complex did. Who knows we could very well still have been waiting for 2WTC to be built. And then that would be even more embarrassing.

Photocred: @mchlanglo793 on Instagram

If they were rebuilt they would have gone up together like before with probably 1WTC slightly ahead and topped out first. The other smaller buildings would have been finished up soon after like before.

You have a point about the value engineering though. 1WTC's chop stick looks so tacky, 3WTC lost it's antennas, the mall is ironically a very white elephant, the underground memorial is forever in danger of flooding and let's not even start on the farce that is 2WTC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
Not building 2WTC has nothing to do with the design of the towers. In case you can't remember there were other buildings in the old complex and they would have probably built those first, just like they built 4WTC and 7WTC before 1WTC. It would have been worse if only one of the twin towers was built and then we had to wait more than 10 years for the other one to start.

I could never even imagine americans, with their patriotism, throwing trash in the memorial, and it seems impossible that the developers would let that happen. People take pictures and selfies because it's a freaking tourist attraction, just like the original WTC once was, or any other landmark in a big city is. People back then wouldn't do that because they didn't have phones like we do nowadays, in case you haven't noticed.

The reality is they will never ever rebuild the twin towers and there's no point in whining about it.

Calling it a 'freaking tourist attraction' is pretty damn disrespectful. It's so much more than that. 9/11 changed the world and this is literally the source where it all happened. It's a turning point in human history. People should show more ******* respect!
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #9192
sodap0p53

Likes (Received): 33

Sheesh, I didn't mean to start a flame war here with my simple observation. The new buildings are lovely, so were the old ones. Debating the merits of "what should've been rebuilt" seems a little moot 11 years after the site started being redeveloped.
sodap0p53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #9193
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25015

Gold Dusk by street level, on Flickr
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #9194
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2374

I don't know if this is not paying tribute to the lost towers, what is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

McSky, Zaz965 liked this post
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #9195
TheProdigySkylined

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodap0p53 View Post
Sheesh, I didn't mean to start a flame war here with my simple observation. The new buildings are lovely, so were the old ones. Debating the merits of "what should've been rebuilt" seems a little moot 11 years after the site started being redeveloped.
Don't worry about it. You get my message?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrulz View Post
I don't know if this is not paying tribute to the lost towers, what is!
If that was true they should have made another 1WTC and have the roof top height of 1776ft!

Anyway no more. Come to the 'Mega WTC' thread to continue the debate if need be. Back on topic. Some great recent pictures!
Old November 12th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #9196
Rens Puts

Rebuilding the twin towers now with the roof as high as the spire of one world trade center would be incredible!

TheProdigySkylined, k25150 liked this post
Rens Puts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #9197
Rens Puts

And building 2 WTC foster design with highest point towards new twin towers..... Imagine that.
Rens Puts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #9198
castillo2008

Likes (Received): 272

IMHO this tower looks nice. The other towers built in the new WTC are nice too (except for the spire of the WTC1. I dont like it).
But... We are talking about New York, and we are talking about the WTC. I didn't expect some nice towers 16 years after 11/9, for this very special place.
I expected much more!!!! This is not a new financial center in a medium Chinese or Arabian city. Very disappointing.
Old November 16th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #9199
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50715

Above Manhattan with FLYNYON by Ken McManus, on Flickr

Above Manhattan with FLYNYON by Ken McManus, on Flickr

KlausDiggy, baronson, McSky, Munwon, yeisson and 8 others liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; November 16th, 2017 at 03:37 PM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #9200
baronson

Does anyone know what all that stuff is on the northern setback
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center