daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #921
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28124

I don't care about the height reduction (which is hardly noticable), but about the removed cross beams.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #922
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
There is no height reduction. The developer's website, www.wtc.com, states that it will be 1,170 feet tall. The website shows the new rendering of 3WTC and is up-to-date.
You're half right. The building is going to be 1,170 feet tall to the pinnacle, but that is a reduction from the previous height of 1,240 feet to the pinnacle. One office floor and two mechanical floors have been removed.

The confusion comes from the fact that, up until the most recent update, the website was going by roof heights. 2WTC was listed as 1,270 feet (plus and 80 foot "antenna" that's actually a spire), 3WTC was listed as 1,155 feet, which was the top of the parapet. Now they're using proper measurements and listing 2WTC at the proper 1,350 feet. At the same time, they're updating 3WTC to the new design at the reduced height of 1,170.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
Has the height reduction been confirmed yet or is it just speculation?
The only thing confirmed is that the official site states that the building will have 53 office floors, when it used to say 54. The official renders also show a different floor plan. In essence, these are the floors that have been removed:

Last edited by STR; July 27th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #923
Stevonga90

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
cooooooooooool. nice job, STR!
More like sooo totally realistic!
Stevonga90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #924
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Awesome job STR

But I'm really mad at Larry. With this height reduction 3WTC is indeed indistinguishable from 4WTC. They look like one building

Btw, I hope SSP diagrams will be updated with this design change. I love to visit them
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #925
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Hmm in context with the surrounding buildings that height reduction is pretty noticeable
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #926
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Awesome job STR

But I'm really mad at Larry. With this height reduction 3WTC is indeed indistinguishable from 4WTC. They look like one building

Btw, I hope SSP diagrams will be updated with this design change. I love to visit them
I'd rather it look like 4WTC than a hole in the ground. Not that it looks like either of those.
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #927
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Awesome job STR

If you don't like what Larry's doing. Why don't you give him, the money so he doesn't have to cut corners.
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #928
Beargb

Likes (Received): 8

Sorry to rehash my point, but I think it would be less expensive to use the cross-bracing. At least it used to be in the past. It's a much more efficient design - the drawback is that some offices have a diagonal bar running through them. I'm curious to see if he is so worried about money why he would have left them out?
Beargb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #929
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^Yes, braced tubes are structurally more efficient, and the previous design almost certainly used less structural steel and concrete. However, the extra frame and column pieces also more lifts, and therefore more labor costs.

So one approach saves steel, the other saves man-hours. In New York, the latter is much more expensive than the former.
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #930
Beargb

Likes (Received): 8

^

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciated the answer. (I'm a structural engineering student, hahaha)

Last edited by erbse; July 28th, 2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote
Beargb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #931
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Awesome job STR

There is no official proof of any height reduction...
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #932
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

UBS Is Said to End Negotiations on Moving to New York’s World Trade Center
By David M. Levitt and Christine Harper - Jul 29, 2011 5:39 PM GMT-050
Quote:
Switzerland’s biggest lender, is no longer in negotiations to lease space at lower Manhattan’s World Trade Center, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.
The company called off talks yesterday, said the person, who asked not to be named because the discussions were private. UBS had been considering a plan to move the staff of its U.S. investment bank unit from Stamford, Connecticut, to the site, a person with direct knowledge of the matter said in June.
“UBS has been conducting a review of its real estate requirements in the tri-state area,” the Zurich-based bank said in an e-mailed statement today. “Part of this review involved discussions with World Trade Center management in downtown Manhattan. These discussions have been productive, but we are focused on Midtown alternatives at the present time.”
The decision takes away a leading candidate to anchor 3 World Trade Center, one of three office towers planned by developer Larry Silverstein along the eastern side of the 16- acre (6-hectare) trade center site. It was prompted in part by the bank’s 49 percent drop in second-quarter net income, led by a slump in investment-bank earnings, two people familiar with the situation said.

Midtown Sites
The Midtown options don’t involve any other skyscraper developments, eliminating Related Co.’s Hudson Yards site, Brookfield Properties Corp. (BPO)’s Manhattan West and Vornado Realty Trust (VNO)’s Hotel Pennsylvania sites, said the people, who declined to be identified because the talks are private.
Christiaan Brakman, a UBS spokesman based in New York, declined to comment beyond the statement.
The called-off discussions were reported by Reuters earlier today.
UBS’s withdrawal won’t negatively affect the outlook for leasing Trade Center offices, said Bud Perrone, a Silverstein spokesman.
“It’s unfortunate that UBS has been forced to re-evaluate its real estate strategy,” Perrone said in an e-mailed statement. “They are a great company and a big factor in the city’s economy.”
UBS leases more than 3 million square feet of office space for various operations in the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut region, Torie von Alt, a spokeswoman, said in June.
To contact the reporters on this story: David M. Levitt in New York at [email protected]; Christine Harper in New York at [email protected]
Simple as that.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #933
Otie
Researcher

UBS Ditches WTC Move Deal dropped due to bank's shaky finances

Quote:
The new World Trade Center site is now down one tenant. UBS confirmed that it will not be moving into the new development despite “advanced talks” between the bank and site developers. The decision comes in light of the company’s renewed efforts to cut costs.
The broken deal had little to do with the ongoing negotiation process, according to reports in the New York Post. Rather, the source said the deal was abandoned due to uncertainty about the degree to which UBS will contract in the near future.
A spokesperson from the bank said the company, which is currently based in Stamford, Connecticut, is reviewing all of its real estate in the tri-state area. “Part of this review involved discussions with World Trade Center management in downtown Manhattan,” the spokesperson said. “These discussions have been productive, but we are focused on midtown alternatives at the present time."
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #934
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
UBS Is Said to End Negotiations on Moving to New York’s World Trade Center
By David M. Levitt and Christine Harper - Jul 29, 2011 5:39 PM GMT-050

Simple as that.
Oh well. I was excited early when I heard the news about UBS looking at 3WTC. But as always, you gotta wait till someone signs on the dotted line before you get too excited.

This tower has until May of next year before a decision to go higher than the podium. Let's just keep our fingers crossed.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #935
Otie
Researcher

^A matter of time, I guess..

Oops, forgot to bold this line:

Quote:
UBS’s withdrawal won’t negatively affect the outlook for leasing Trade Center offices, said Bud Perrone, a Silverstein spokesman.
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #936
[{x}]

Likes (Received): 10

They took the external crossbar out!?

WHYYYY

Omg it used to look so cyberpunk before...I don't think I like this new building oh well, there's still One and 2WTC
[{x}] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #937
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Damn it..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #938
SSD Darth Vader

Likes (Received): 771

the qestion is not what kind of the Third WTC looks, the qestion stand about it's Hight-China makes 500+meters buildings like pampkings,and what about the USA?
SSD Darth Vader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #939
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD Darth Vader View Post
the qestion is not what kind of the Third WTC looks, the qestion stand about it's Hight-China makes 500+meters buildings like pampkings,and what about the USA?
Simple, if you dont have the need for them, you dont build em.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #940
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

image hosted on flickr

Ground Zero by Vin_Schiano, on Flickr

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center