daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2011, 01:16 AM   #941
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2011, 02:23 AM   #942
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

3 wtc looks so much less significant now... nice renders though.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:08 AM   #943
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

^That's kind the point of the one above you. I'm using wide-angle optical distortion to stretch 1 & 2 WTC and compress 3WTC, making the latter appear shorter.
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:39 AM   #944
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
^That's kind the point of the one above you. I'm using wide-angle optical distortion to stretch 1 & 2 WTC and compress 3WTC, making the latter appear shorter.
i know that angle can have some influence over the apparent size, but ive seen some of your renders at other angles (nice renders btw), and it still looks less imposing then it did before the supposed height reduction. its still an enormous tower, but being that its being put into such a tall cluster, i just feel like it looks a little too small now. i dont know. well have to wait and see how it turns out.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:13 AM   #945
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

it looks like a stump now :/ still a great tower but what we could have had really makes it less impressive to me.
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:11 AM   #946
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
You're half right. The building is going to be 1,170 feet tall to the pinnacle, but that is a reduction from the previous height of 1,240 feet to the pinnacle. One office floor and two mechanical floors have been removed

Where is your source of the floors being removed? If it's from a render they are not always completely accurate... and even so, there is still no official proof of any height reduction. Everybody seems to be acting like it's a fact when there is not a whole lot of evidence...
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:24 AM   #947
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Curb said the height is going to be 1,170 feet and 80 floors, It was suppose to be 1,255. I know some people think it was going to be taller than 1,300 feet but that was never the case.
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:39 PM   #948
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Where is your source of the floors being removed? If it's from a render they are not always completely accurate.
Evidence #1: There has been a few errors with the dBox renders contracted by Silverstein directly. But none from the architecture firms themselves. Not SOM, not Maki. Foster and Rogers have been very consistent. Their renders also match with independent sources I have.

Why would Rogers' team go out of their way to delete 3 floors and adjust a dozen others if such changes weren't dictated by the architect himself and his engineers?

Evidence #2: The description of the building itself. wtc.com used to say 3WTC would have 54 office floors, which matched with the previous renders from Rogers Stirk. wtc.com now says 3WTC will have 53 floors. That matches with the new renders, which show one less office floor, and two fewer plant floors.

Why change that number if it hadn't been changed on the building as well

Evidence #3: The height figure of 1,170 feet given on the website. You have to ask yourself, is that referring to roof height, or total height? They haven't been 100% consistent with those distinctions in the past. So some part of the building is 1,170 feet from the street. If it's the roof, that's a significant height increase, if it's total height, it's a marginal decrease.

Why change that number?

Evidence #4: News reports say that the PA, as a condition of partially funding the building, wanted the building to be redesigned to be cheaper.

Why would you increase height when you're trying to reduce costs?

Evidence #5: What does it look like when you put it together? There are some constants you can rely on here. Each office floor is 13'6" high. That means you know how tall 75% of building is. That leaves the lobby, and a few mechanical floors to mess with. Now, the plant floors aren't 3x higher than the office floors just about them, so they're not 40 feet high. Roughing out the proportions in the render will give you an accurate floor height +/-10%, via that method I come out with a building that's much closer to the 1,170 total height, and far too short (by 200 feet) to be the 1,170' roof height.

The logical conclusion is to go with the shorter hypothesis. So I set the height of the spires at 1,170 feet. I then finish refining the floor heights and details. Then comes the big point, the final clue...

Evidence #6: Does the resulting design look well proportioned, like something that a great architect would design? Yes. It's not as fine as the previous effort, but it's not nearly as bulky as many other buildings in New York.

Conclusion: The total height is very likely to be 1,170 feet, the parapet is roughly 1073' and the roof is is the area of 1042'

Old August 1st, 2011, 07:54 AM   #949
Jay

Quote:
So some part of the building is 1,170 feet from the street. If it's the roof, that's a significant height increase, if it's total height, it's a marginal decrease.
That's 23 feet higher than what it was originally going to be. how that is "significant" I have no clue.

You have good evidence, and you may be right, but I still think there is some sort of big mistake here, if it is true I will wait till official figures, no offense to you but I just am.

If it has 53 office floors, what are the other 27?
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM   #950
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

You're running out of ignorance. If it is 23 feet, that's significant because they are trying to cut costs.

The other 27 include the lobby, mechanical floors, and plant floors.
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:19 PM   #951
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

TRD

Quote:
UBS rules out lease at 3 WTC
August 01, 2011 08:30AM

3 World Trade Center rendering

Swiss lender UBS AG has called off negotiations to lease space at the World Trade Center as a result of disappointing second-quarter income, Bloomberg News reported. The bank had apparently been considering a move to Lower Manhattan from its current U.S. headquarters in Stamford, Conn.

"UBS has been conducting a review of its real estate requirements in the tri-state area," UBS said in a statement. "Part of this review involved discussions with World Trade Center management in downtown Manhattan. These discussions have been productive, but we are focused on Midtown alternatives at the present time."

The Zurich-based bank had been rumored to be a leading candidate to anchor Larry Silverstein's 3 World Trade Center. UBS's withdrawal won't negatively affect the outlook for leasing Trade Center offices, said Bud Perrone, a Silverstein spokesman.
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM   #952
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD Darth Vader View Post
the qestion is not what kind of the Third WTC looks, the qestion stand about it's Hight-China makes 500+meters buildings like pampkings,and what about the USA?
Now I know somebody will say that there is not enough demand, but the fact remains that they could have built fewer towers which would be taller. There was no need to build 5 towers, if they would build just 2 towers, each of them could rival the Shanghai tower.

And now a bit on-topic, WTC.com is horribly puzzling in it's statements. I'd say that until they directly state both roof height and pinnacle height we can't be certain about anything. However, I do think that this height decrease happened .... sadly. But I'm not certain about it .... fortunately
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:24 AM   #953
Jay

Even if they just built 3 or 4 towers they could be massive (They are massive but they could be moreso)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmanjr View Post
You're running out of ignorance. If it is 23 feet, that's significant because they are trying to cut costs.

The other 27 include the lobby, mechanical floors, and plant floors.

I'm ignorant because I think 23 feet is insignificant for a 1100 plus foot building? WTF?

Anyway as was pointed out on SSP if you check the WTC official site the main page none of the tower 3 renderings are shorter/changed. That doesn't mean it hasn;t but it still seems a bit strange.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM   #954
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm ignorant because I think 23 feet is insignificant for a 1100 plus foot building? WTF?
The 23 feet was a height increase, so yes that is significant considering they are trying to make the building cheaper.
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #955
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Another two renderings by dBox at Silverstein's website:

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #956
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Looks good I like the red on the inside.
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:20 AM   #957
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Another two renderings by dBox at Silverstein's website:

Those are by Team Macarie for Rogers Stirk, not dBox and Silverstein. The exterior shot is of a slightly older version of the building. There's detail differences with the renders on wtc.com
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #958
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Hey STR, I have a question. How exactly were you able to tell which floors were apparently taken out of this building?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #959
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

from http://www.ilpost.it/2011/08/04/cant...-trade-center/

great progress, we need a (working) webcam for this one...

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #960
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
great progress, we need a (working) webcam for this one...
Ask, and ye shall receive. The KPI TV Webcam is working and updating again, at least for the moment:

[IMG]http://i54.************/2lizmzt.png[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center