daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #1321
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwotci View Post
Wow, capping a skyscraper at 7th floor... sounds absurd.
But Larry doesn't have the money to build it. He needs money from a tenant to finance the tower. Additionaly the government financial aid he was promissed he'll recieve only if he finds a tenant

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #1322
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

It would be a waste of air rights and previous investments if this get's capped off at 7 stories. Besides the fact it's going to look shit being surrounded by huge skyscrapers. It is however understandable in these times. It's too big of a risk to keep building. Either way it's going to be a waste of money, there is just a difference in how much.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #1323
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
I'll have to agree with Robert, 2 and 3 WTC will be built eventually no matter what happens, but not so much for the Hudson Yards towers.
Where did you get that idea? The Hudson Yards will be built in full. Also, since they offer the least expensive new space, they will sign tenants before any other tower. Related is the only developer that seeks to merely break even and not to make a huge profit from its office towers. It seeks to make money on the residential and retail components. Therefore, no office developer can compete with it.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1324
bugstone

Likes (Received): 12

“We . . . remain fully optimistic that we will sign a lease in time to complete the tower as scheduled in 2015,” Silverstein said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...RlLLnUTkFp4DII

Bugs
bugstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #1325
Dwotci
Яegistered User

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
But Larry doesn't have the money to build it. He needs money from a tenant to finance the tower. Additionaly the government financial aid he was promissed he'll recieve only if he finds a tenant
Well yeah, I did understand that from what I read in this topic But still, if I don't look at the financial side of things and just think about it from an uninformed onlooker's point of view, this really is absurd, that's what I meant. Has such thing ever happened in history, I wonder? Ah, anyways, I wish he does find a tenant, though TBH I don't really believe this will happen.
Dwotci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #1326
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstone View Post
“We . . . remain fully optimistic that we will sign a lease in time to complete the tower as scheduled in 2015,” Silverstein said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...RlLLnUTkFp4DII

Bugs
Pretty encouraging words from the guy who knows more about what's going on than anyone else.
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1327
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Pretty encouraging words from the guy who knows more about what's going on than anyone else.
I wouldn't read too much into statements like that. ALL developers say those things. He'll get a tenant for T3 eventually. Remember 7WTC didn't get its first tenant till six months after it was opened.

The best thing to keep in mind is that as the months continue to tick by, there will be more and more visible progress at the WTC. In twelve months, T4 will appear finished exterior wise, T1 will have its spire and almost all the office level glass complete, the memorial plaza should be 99% open, all the steel and decking should be done for the VSC, the Hub steel will be above ground. Lots more visible progress. If that can't lure a major lease signing, I don't know what will.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1328
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Where did you get that idea? The Hudson Yards will be built in full. Also, since they offer the least expensive new space, they will sign tenants before any other tower. Related is the only developer that seeks to merely break even and not to make a huge profit from its office towers. It seeks to make money on the residential and retail components. Therefore, no office developer can compete with it.
But still, Hudson Yards can fatally crash anytime if something goes wrong, but no matter what happens in WTC it'll get built.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #1329
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
But still, Hudson Yards can fatally crash anytime if something goes wrong, but no matter what happens in WTC it'll get built.
Hardly. Related is committed to an extremely lucrative project that gives it the right to build thousands of units of very expensive, waterfront condos.

Related also has a tenant for 600k sf of space in the first commercial tower, and it has a gigantic Canadian pension fund as a commercial partner.

Old January 25th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #1330
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I wouldn't read too much into statements like that. ALL developers say those things. He'll get a tenant for T3 eventually. Remember 7WTC didn't get its first tenant till six months after it was opened.

The best thing to keep in mind is that as the months continue to tick by, there will be more and more visible progress at the WTC. In twelve months, T4 will appear finished exterior wise, T1 will have its spire and almost all the office level glass complete, the memorial plaza should be 99% open, all the steel and decking should be done for the VSC, the Hub steel will be above ground. Lots more visible progress. If that can't lure a major lease signing, I don't know what will.
agreed, developers pull this tactic all the time to try and get a subsidy. this tower will get built to its full height. office space is running low in manhantten. especially buildings with large blocks of space. last i checked the vacancy rate was at 8% well within an acceptable level to add more supply.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #1331
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

I admire Larry's enthusiasm, worth watching this Bloomberg Interview.
PS. The interviewer is perhaps the sexiest girl I've ever seen on videos of this kind...

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/84416534/

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #1332
RobertWalpole
BANNED

The interviewer is Trish Regan. She just joined Bloomberg television after leaving another US-financial network CNBC.

If you like Trish, you should see her colleague on Bloomberg, Gigi Stone. She is HOT!!!

Old January 25th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1333
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
I admire Larry's enthusiasm, worth watching this Bloomberg Interview.
PS. The interviewer is perhaps the sexiest girl I've ever seen on videos of this kind...

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/84416534/
I second that. Props to Silverstein, I couldn't focus if I was there instead of him... probably just mumbling some incomprehensible words, probably like: "yes the WTC, it's the new WTC, very tall buildings, yes,... btw you are so hot, wtf you are doing here? "

HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1334
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

That chick is really hot As for Larry, I agree that his enthusiasm is admirable, though I still have a rather negative opinion about his decisions concerning the rebuilding effort

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1335
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Related with Oxford Properties can build office space at Hudson Yards using the money they get from selling condo units. They can afford to build without signed leases. Not the same thing here.

MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #1336
NYCD

Likes (Received): 1203

January 24th, 2012

NYCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1337
BritneySpearsRocks93

Likes (Received): 1

They're pouring a large section of the lobby floor this morning...
BritneySpearsRocks93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #1338
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwotci View Post
Well yeah, I did understand that from what I read in this topic But still, if I don't look at the financial side of things and just think about it from an uninformed onlooker's point of view, this really is absurd, that's what I meant. Has such thing ever happened in history, I wonder? Ah, anyways, I wish he does find a tenant, though TBH I don't really believe this will happen.
I recently remember the Sulafah tower in Dubai. Was not supposed to get as tall as this building but still. They just stopped at a certain amount of floors, finished it and done. And so were the plans of the Waterview tower in Chicago, a project that was supposed to rise to 319m. They stopped construction, it sat there for years, abandoned. Finally they're demolishing it right now, bad investment I guess.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #1339
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Waterview Chicago was sold to the Related Companies and is being built out as a 65 story apartment project with a new tower design surmounting the partially constructed base. Unless Related changes the design of the base (unlikely) it will only have minor demo work, if any.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #1340
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Chadbourne is signing a lease for 1 WTC which is now 2/3 full.

Tags
new york, silverstein, supertall, world trade center