daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:49 AM   #181
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

I'm pretty sure WTC 2 will be built. Eventually. Maybe in 10 years.

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:09 PM   #182
po-boy

Likes (Received): 5

I don't mind waiting a while (5 or 10 years) for this to be built, but what I don't want is for them to change the design and/or build something smaller.
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #183
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Editorial from The Villager.

"A Deal to be made"

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_354/editorial.html

"In todayís credit market, clearly, Silverstein canít put much more in on the front end than he has already offered. But as we have said previously, he could offer the Port Authority a lot more on the back end. Silverstein had offered the agency about 30 percent ownership in Towers 2 and 4 in exchange for backstopping loans. That may not be enough but it is a substantial offer and the Port Authority should embrace the negotiations on this track. There is no feasible way to develop the sites without Silverstein, so the Port Authority should start thinking about a percentage that would provide itself and the public enough of a return to justify the loan guarantees."
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #184
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Developer Larry Silverstein nixes plans for 79-story Tower 2 at Ground Zero

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...r_tower_2.html
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #185
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Why does everyone keep treating this news as meaning that 2WTC is canceled? God people are stupid.
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #186
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

So basically there will be two massive holes in the ground for the next 5 to 10 years. Unbelievable.
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #187
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towards The Sun View Post
So basically there will be two massive holes in the ground for the next 5 to 10 years. Unbelievable.
4 holes actually...
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #188
Bonngo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Well I don't really care, as long as they build something! Tower 3 is better than neither of the two towers, however the Port Authority has not committed to this deal yet. Until they do that nothing is going to happen.

Building Tower 3 over Tower 2 is definitely easier, considering foundations for Tower 3 were already started a long time ago and it’s clearly the less costly building. And one of the big problems for the Port Authority was that there were supposed to be utilities for the transportation hub in the towers structures. If the port got rid of Tower 2 that would offer them a larger area to put these utilities, instead of trying to squeeze them into the Tower 3 site. I could see the Port Authority accepting this deal, but their uncooperativeness with the rest of the site up until now greatly concerns me.
Bonngo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #189
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

LARRY SILVERSTEIN PROPOSES TO DUMP 2 WTC

http://gothamist.com/2010/02/19/silv...dump_world.php
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #190
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

For ****s sake people, no one is proposing to "dump" 2WTC. Larry Silverstein proposed putting some money up for getting Tower 3 started now, with 2WTC on the backburner.
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #191
Bonngo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
For ****s sake people, no one is proposing to "dump" 2WTC. Larry Silverstein proposed putting some money up for getting Tower 3 started now, with 2WTC on the backburner.
It seems highly unlikely Tower 2 is going to get built as is proposed right now, if Larry is putting all his chips into Tower 3. It was Tower 3 which on the chopping board a few months ago, Larry was willing to accept something else there. He's changed his mind, but I don't see how Tower 2 is going to get built if they can barely build Tower 3. And no, there is no deal for Tower 3 right now even. And personally I agree Tower 2 is more important, the site is going to look like an afterthought without it. But I don't see where the money is going to come from if the port is not willing to pay for any of it.
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #192
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
yeah, tower 2 will be on hold for a long time, the term would be indefinitely.i have no problem with that when there is still a chance to get it built, i'm just afraid of the possibility of a change in design and even worse in height.
Old February 20th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #193
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

There is some debate about how far the PATH station can go without 2 WTC getting built at least to street level. So it seems that Silverstein is putting more money up front into getting 3 WTC done so that the Port Authority or someone else will almost be forced to do something at 2 WTC. Larry is ever the poker player...and at his age you'd think he'd stick to Pinochle.
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #194
Bonngo
BANNED

Quote:
New York's Bloomberg Pulls $5 Billion From Quadrangle

BY PETER LATTMAN
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is pulling roughly $5 billion of personal assets from Quadrangle Group's asset-management arm, according to people familiar with the situation.

The move deals a blow to the New York private-equity and investment firm, which is already reeling from the departure of its co-founder Steven Rattner and an investigation by the New York state attorney general into how Quadrangle secured an investment from New York state's pension fund.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection

Come on Bloomberg, stop teasing us!
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #195
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonngo View Post
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection

Come on Bloomberg, stop teasing us!
why is this here bloomberg shouldn't have to put up billions of his dollars because Silverstein won't. They want to sell tower 1 then selling it to Bloomy and front that money for the rest of the WTC. But I don't see that happening.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:36 PM   #196
bugstone

Likes (Received): 12

Silverstein And PA Will Meet Again

From Crains New York

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ATE/100229967#

New York, New York City, Manhattan, Downtown, Financial District, World Trade Center

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and Silverstein Properties Inc. representatives are slated to meet Tuesday to discuss the developerís proposal for ending the feud with the agency over help financing two of Silversteinís towers at Ground Zero.

The Port is not expected to make a counter offer but instead will drill in for more details about developer Larry Silversteinís proposal, which it views as largely smoke and mirrors, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.

Two weeks ago, Mr. Silverstein issued an agenda that included putting as much as $250 million of his own funds into the dealóup from an earlier offer of $50 millionóand using all of his insurance money on just two towers instead of spreading it out over three. Additionally, in a move that would save about $262 million, Mr. Silverstein proposes building what is referred to in various development plans as Tower 3, instead of his more expensive Tower 2.

Among the details the Port wants to know is how soon Mr. Silverstein could come up with any of the funds he is pledging.

The Port has offered to backstop one tower but said it canít afford to help with two, adding that it isnít the job of a public agency to aid in financing private developments.

Conditions are ripe for a tense meeting. Last week, Mayor Michael Bloomberg praised Mr. Silverstein for offering several proposals and criticized the Port for the delays, challenging it to step up the plate and lay out ideas. And on Sunday 60 Minutes ran a segment on the rebuilding of Ground Zero that was very critical of the Port.

However, last month an arbitration panel found that the Port had fulfilled its primary obligations to Mr. Silverstein and gave the two until mid-March to come up with a construction schedule for the developerís towers.

A spokesman for Mr. Silverstein declined comment and a Port spokesman couldnít be immediately reached.
Filed Under :

Bugs
bugstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:20 PM   #197
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

This whole thing was screwed ever since the beginning. Too many chiefs involved. Port Authority should have stfu and let the developer get the ball rolling. I can't believe public outcry is but a meer whisper.
Shame on everyone, and I mean everyone involved in this debacle. What an absolute mess this turned out to be. Hope they all wear this until they die.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:26 PM   #198
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16991

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
This whole thing was screwed ever since the beginning. Too many chiefs involved. Port Authority should have stfu and let the developer get the ball rolling. I can't believe public outcry is but a meer whisper.
Shame on everyone, and I mean everyone involved in this debacle. What an absolute mess this turned out to be. Hope they all wear this until they die.
Agreed , why can't NYC stand up like other cities around the world and rebuild quickly, i can understand a year after it, if the families want to still grieve. But they continued to halt the project , even these days ,and its getting ridiculous.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:36 PM   #199
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Oh, this is a load of horseshit! Build it or bury it!
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #200
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

More fun games with Developer Larry!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center