daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM   #2301
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

It was designed wrongly because Libeskind's spiral site plan is garbage in my opinion. Nothing will change because the foundations are already laid so all of this talking is just of the "what if it had been instead" speculation kind.

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM   #2302
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

i like the design how it is, if 2 wtc was taller then 1 wtc i feel that would look weird, and 1 wtc is supposed to be the main tower at the complex, i love 2 wtc so i just want it to be built lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:47 PM   #2303
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
It was designed wrongly because Libeskind's spiral site plan is garbage in my opinion. Nothing will change because the foundations are already laid so all of this talking is just of the "what if it had been instead" speculation kind.
Oh, then let's close again those streets and isolate the site to create some massive things that have no interaction to human life.

Kanto, I think you need to understand that the arrangement Libeskind chose was to follow the idea to bring back the human sense to the project, which was terribly ignored by the Yamasaki team. The descending spiral is a nice gesture of being more integrated to the surroundings (aside from the lady liberty torch concept analogy), which clearly contrasts to the cynical, egotistical and prideful concept of the original trade center.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2304
Kanto
Roof height crusader

The openning of the streets was a good idea, though even with the street grid open as it is now with the new complex the buildings on the site could have been arranged better, so that the taller towers would get a more dominating and iconic feeling. The way they are placed in Libeskind's plan, the spiral is arguably the least dominating and least iconic placement these towers could have on that site.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM   #2305
TamaSuperstar

Likes (Received): 2082

It's not necessarily good for towers to be dominating, i think people have a very rose tinted view of the twins quality of architecture.
TamaSuperstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #2306
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Oh, then let's close again those streets and isolate the site to create some massive things that have no interaction to human life.

Kanto, I think you need to understand that the arrangement Libeskind chose was to follow the idea to bring back the human sense to the project, which was terribly ignored by the Yamasaki team. The descending spiral is a nice gesture of being more integrated to the surroundings (aside from the lady liberty torch concept analogy), which clearly contrasts to the cynical, egotistical and prideful concept of the original trade center.
I just don't understand this. The shortest tower is nearly 1000 feet. I don't see how it would make much difference to the pedestrian at street level whether there were two Foster Kissing Towers or the current spiral plan. The only good thing IMO is that the plan incorporates multiple uses in a way that is far more aesthetically pleasing than the original.

The fact that we need to wait probably many years for the most iconic piece of the complex to be built does not help silence the critics who say that this is a boring unimpressive complex and does't have the power of the originals. But yeah, the twins were disgusting ugly buildings and I'm glad they didn't just lazily rebuild them.

Last edited by aquablue; December 24th, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #2307
Otie
Researcher

The key is in the podiums, entrance design and streetscape elements. All of the towers incorporate these in a determined way that makes the buildings blend into the streets.
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2308
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I just don't understand this. The shortest tower is nearly 1000 feet. I don't see how it would make much difference to the pedestrian at street level whether there were two Foster Kissing Towers or the current spiral plan. The only good thing IMO is that the plan incorporates multiple uses in a way that is far more aesthetically pleasing than the original.

The fact that we need to wait probably many years for the most iconic piece of the complex to be built does not help silence the critics who say that this is a boring unimpressive complex and does't have the power of the originals. But yeah, the twins were disgusting ugly buildings and I'm glad they didn't just lazily rebuild them.
At street level all buildings look virtually the same. It is the skyline view that makes the difference and in the skyline the new complex looks rather shy. Even if we don't take the lack of height into consideration, Libeskind's site plan is horrible. Many better site plans have been proposed for the rebuilding, including the World Cultural Center. What enrages me 'til this day is how it was only due to Pataki's intervention that the World Cultural Center proposal didn't win the competition.
Old December 25th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #2309
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
yeah, the twins were disgusting ugly buildings
I don't agree with this part, but you were pretty much spot on otherwise. Agree to disagree.

In any case, Lower Manhattan will have its peak back, which it sorely needed.

Last edited by Chapelo; December 25th, 2012 at 02:30 AM.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #2310
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Same width, pretty much, but it still looks so tiny compared to the old one.
It's width is smaller than the south tower.
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #2311
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
At street level all buildings look virtually the same. It is the skyline view that makes the difference and in the skyline the new complex looks rather shy. Even if we don't take the lack of height into consideration, Libeskind's site plan is horrible. Many better site plans have been proposed for the rebuilding, including the World Cultural Center. What enrages me 'til this day is how it was only due to Pataki's intervention that the World Cultural Center proposal didn't win the competition.
You mean Vinoly skeleton towers proposal? No thanks!
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #2312
Otie
Researcher

We must not forget the new complex is more dense than the previous one.
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #2313
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28146

The surroundings also.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #2314
aquablue
BANNED

After looking through all the plans, Foster's plan was the best. I don't know what you see in THINK's proposal, given those bird cages they had.

Last edited by aquablue; December 26th, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #2315
Kanto
Roof height crusader

In my opinion Foster's was the second best. The best in my opinion was Gardner's
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #2316
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Shocker there.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #2317
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Oh dear, not Foster's rickety-and-about-to-collapse-looking towers!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2318
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

His Hermitage designs for La Defense scare me to death. I would not go in those things!
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #2319
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Actually, those have an interesting design since it looks top-heavy from the fronts, but then bottom-heavy from the sides, since they kinda become inverted from one end to the other. Kinds hard to explain, but this should do it

2WTC looks better than these, though
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2320
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Yup, 2WTC looks much better

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center