daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #3181
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

I suspect that if they anchor a new tower, it will be. 50 HY.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #3182
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Why is that?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #3183
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

While it's nice to hear companies looking at 2WTC, I wouldn't get too excited. Companies are always looking at there RE options. Plenty of other companies have been linked to the WTC in recent years and nothing happened.

Eric Offereins liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #3184
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I agree and think 50 Hudson has the edge over the competition because Related has the luxury to make the most attractive deal financially for a company to anchor one of its towers.

Also, out of the locations JP Morgan Chase have reportedly scouted, all of them are in Midtown minus 2WTC which suggests they still may have a strong preference to still have their HQ in midtown.

Another thing… Judging JPMC choice of offices in Manhattan, they had never gone the iconic route to call home for many of their offices and 2 WTC will be iconic as iconic gets.

I think Silverstein is not that desperate yet since 3 WTC will be resuming soon but who knows. Hopefully Silverstein will follow Durst’s lead in lowering their asking expectations with 1 WTC but I doubt it. 2 WTC will be Silverstein Properties most iconic asset in its portfolio so I still think they are still holding out hope that eventually a company can see themselves there in an amazing tower to call their home despite the price.

Obviously, you all have to look at my avatar to see whom I’m pulling for and I hope I’m wrong because JPMC would be amazing anchor for the WTC complex.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #3185
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28160

I guess Silverstein will try to fill up (most of) the other WTC towers first?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #3186
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

I think that's the plan, to focus on leasing out 1, 3 and 4, before shifting focus to 2. BUT, I do think that if JPM really is in the market, Silverstein would be crazy not to go after them hard. It's only so often that one of the top i-banking firms (ones that can actually use 2 WTC's gigantic trading floors) relocates headquarters. May as well go all out trying to nab them.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #3187
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Another thing… Judging JPMC choice of offices in Manhattan, they had never gone the iconic route to call home for many of their offices and 2 WTC will be iconic as iconic gets.
Probably because they are one of the most hated companies in the country. Best to keep a low profile... That said, I'd be nothing short of thrilled were it to happen.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #3188
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Why is that?
Because Related can deliver 50 HY for less than Larry will lease 2 WTC.

Recall that years ago, JPM was going to build an odd-looking, cantilevered HQ on the Site of 5 WTC. When the economy tanked in 2008, and JPM acquired Bear (and its new Madison Ave HQ), it shelved the idea. I guess, however, JPMC has outgrown Bear's trading floors at 383 Madison. I'll happily take a new 335m tower to add to NY's growing forest of supertalls!

citybooster liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #3189
1WTC

Likes (Received): 25

This thread is about 2 WTC, not London. Get back on topic.
1WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:09 AM   #3190
weidncol

The first official logo for the entire WTC Campus has finally been created and revealed today. Hopefully this will make people realize the complex as a unity, not just consisting of Tower 1.

Quote:
Can you see a trident — an abstract trident recalling those three-fingered steel columns at the base of the twin towers, still standing after the 2001 attack, symbolizing New York City’s resilience?

It is there, in the World Trade Center’s new logo, which was revealed on Wednesday when the latest display panels were installed along a construction fence on Vesey Street.

Do you discern two parallel spaces in the upper half of the logo? They are intended to evoke the memorial beacons of the Tribute in Light. And the two bars on the lower half of the logo? The deep pools of the National September 11 Memorial.

Look again, and the five bars might be taken for five towers: 7 World Trade Center, long finished and open; 1 and 4 World Trade Center, nearing completion; 3 World Trade Center, under construction; and 2 World Trade Center, still on the drawing board.

And yes, now that you mention it, the whole thing is a stylized W — for World Trade Center, of course, but also for Westfield World Trade Center, the name of the luxury shopping center that is to open there next year.

(You are excused if you missed the fact that the slope across the upper bars is at a 17.76-degree angle, reflecting the height of 1 World Trade Center.)

“The logo acts as an icon for the whole physical space of the 16 acres,” said Erica Dumas, a spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the trade center site.

The new emblem includes the words “World Trade Center” set in the Helvetica Ultra Compressed typeface. It will not replace the logos of individual occupants of the trade center site, but is supposed to lend a graphic unity to way-finding signs, building entrances, digital directories, kiosks, uniforms, websites, apps and marketing materials.

Landor Associates, a corporate identity firm whose best known creation may be the FedEx brand, was awarded a $3.57 million contract by the authority board in 2013.

Before Sept. 11, 2001, the trade center’s logo featured the pinstriped twin towers popping out of what almost looked like a Taiji symbol. An impromptu interim emblem was devised by superimposing a billowing American flag on the twin towers.

Landor faced a challenge in devising a trademark that would be acceptable to all of the site’s occupants, pay homage to a tragic past and create a hopeful image for the future.

“It’s an impossible task,” said James Biber, a principal at Biber Architects. He works in the nearby Woolworth Building and paused on Vesey Street to inspect the new logo. “It’s so anonymous that it almost evaporates.”

“Maybe this is the last step in the rebranding of something that has disappeared,” he added.

Douglas Riccardi, the principal in the design firm Memo, was with Mr. Biber. He seemed more forgiving of the complex design. “Its strength is its ability to be seen in many ways,” he said. “You could never get more meaning in five little bars. The problem is that people may not bother to find out what the meanings are.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/ny...d-rebirth.html
Old August 14th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #3191
A.J.B 22
Big Pink

Likes (Received): 481

That's a really cool logo they got there.

mlm liked this post
A.J.B 22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 05:12 AM   #3192
Glidescube

Likes (Received): 32

IF they want a tenant than just invite Google. The can call it the Google tower !
Glidescube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #3193
qdny

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidescube View Post
IF they want a tenant than just invite Google. The can call it the Google tower !
ew

This kind of news is just enough to give us skyscraper fans a steel-superstructure erection of our own. :cheers:

onewtclover liked this post
qdny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #3194
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

I really hope the anchor tenant doesn't rename the tower. They can do that?
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #3195
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Because Related can deliver 50 HY for less than Larry will lease 2 WTC.
I think that's true but keep in mind this is Manhattan and there are different office space markets in different locations. WTC can probably ask for higher rates from retailers and financial companies, because of better access to transit, proximity to wall street, number of super wealthy people frequenting the area etc. Everyone is always comparing these projects as if they are on level playing fields and they are not.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 12:35 AM   #3196
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there's been no discussion of selling the naming rights to the WTC towers -- certainly not by the current tenants of towers 1 and 4 (although they're largely governmental), or GroupM at Tower 3. If there were, it'd be a waste of the millions the developers spent on their branding campaign (not to mention tacky to stick signage up on these gorgeous towers). Anyone know any different?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:16 AM   #3197
WorldTradeCenterKid
WorldTradeCenterKid

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
well, when willis group leased the sears tower, they renamed it the willis tower.

1WTC, Simfan34 liked this post
WorldTradeCenterKid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 05:43 PM   #3198
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTradeCenterKid View Post
well, when willis group leased the sears tower, they renamed it the willis tower.

You have to remember that sears hasn't owned the building since the mid 90's, so when the Willis Group leased the building, they leased it from the current owners who were looking to change the name anyways. The current naming rights are only good for 15 years, so in the mid 2020's, we will probably see the name change again.

It doesn't matter what they change the name to, on my death bed, it will still be the iconic SEARS TOWER to me
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:35 PM   #3199
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

I was thinking that because this is an iconic tower, they wouldn't sell the naming rights. But many members have been joking about it being called the "Fox Tower" or the "Google Tower" or whatever anchor tenant comes to mind. I didn't think it would be logical to rename the tower.

And also, even though I think Sears Tower sounds better, I've been calling it Willis Tower because it's the current name. Just like I don't call 1WTC "Freedom Tower" just because it sounds symbolic. If 2WTC was renamed the "JPMorgan Chase Tower" I would go crazy and still call it 2WTC.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:37 PM   #3200
weidncol

You don't need to worry about naming rights, this tower will remain 2 WTC.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center