daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2014, 11:42 PM   #3201
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Imagine if they named it Ground Zero Tower...
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:42 PM   #3202
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

I think most of us have been using those terms colloquially; the expectation isn't that the official name would become "Fox Tower" or "Google Tower," but that's probably what a number of people would call it out of convenience (much like we talk about 10 HY as "Coach Tower" even though it's a specific stipulation of their lease agreement that they may not name the tower).

Ultimately, people call buildings by the name that's most familiar and convenient to them, no matter what's official. It's why it was always "Candlestick" for me even when it became "Monster Park" for a few dark, dreary years; and why different people say "30 Rock," the "RCA Building," the "GE Building" or the " Comcast NBCUniversal Building." (Kidding -- no one will ever call it that)

No one (except, I guess, broadcasters, by their legal departments) is required to call a building by the name a tenant paid for. All that's required is that, whatever name you use, the people you're talking to know (or can find out) what the hell you're talking about.

57th&1st, citybooster, WillBuild, Swiddle liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:23 AM   #3203
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I think all the new buildings will get referenced by nicknames, not street addresses. ALL major buildings are..... street addresses are cold and clinical. Who refers to the White House as 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? Certain street addresses may be known to the public but it's human nature to find some kind of individual identity. I hope the Hudson Yards folks don't expect everyone to call all their buildings by their street addresses. Or any developer... we're going to say Nordstrom or Steinway or Tower Verre, too. Maybe the World Trade Center but 1,2, 3, 4 are east identify with.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 08:09 AM   #3204
WorldTradeCenterKid
WorldTradeCenterKid

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I think all the new buildings will get referenced by nicknames, not street addresses. ALL major buildings are..... street addresses are cold and clinical. Who refers to the White House as 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? Certain street addresses may be known to the public but it's human nature to find some kind of individual identity. I hope the Hudson Yards folks don't expect everyone to call all their buildings by their street addresses. Or any developer... we're going to say Nordstrom or Steinway or Tower Verre, too. Maybe the World Trade Center but 1,2, 3, 4 are east identify with.
yea, it would sound weird saying 150, 175, 200, and 250 greenwich street when referring to 4, 3, 2, and 7 world trade center.
WorldTradeCenterKid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:48 AM   #3205
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTradeCenterKid View Post
yea, it would sound weird saying 150, 175, 200, and 250 greenwich street when referring to 4, 3, 2, and 7 world trade center.
I'm just wondering why Related is so hell bent on promoting their buildings by their street addresses. No one does that! The ESB and the Chrysler buildings as all buildings have a street address but they are known by the public for by identifying, descriptive names. 10 Hudson Yards, 30 Hudson, 15, 35, and so on... doesn't click. But a name that resonates describing them, or their vibe... that's what sticks.

Like I said about the WTC towers, you can go by numbers signifying each tower (oops I did forget 7!) but like you show the street addresses don't click with the public. I doubt when the Shvo supposed masterpiece goes up downtown it will be known by a mere street address either. Neither will 15 Penn Plaza be known by that name if Vornado goes out and builds... hell even 1 Vanderbilt Place needs a more fitting New York identity.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:24 PM   #3206
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

What about 1 Penn Plaza? 15 CPW? 40 Wall? 30 Rock? It works.

And Related isn't really using "real" addresses anyway (i.e. 500 W 31st St, etc). It's all about promoting the HY district.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:33 PM   #3207
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
I was thinking that because this is an iconic tower, they wouldn't sell the naming rights. But many members have been joking about it being called the "Fox Tower" or the "Google Tower" or whatever anchor tenant comes to mind. I didn't think it would be logical to rename the tower.

And also, even though I think Sears Tower sounds better, I've been calling it Willis Tower because it's the current name. Just like I don't call 1WTC "Freedom Tower" just because it sounds symbolic. If 2WTC was renamed the "JPMorgan Chase Tower" I would go crazy and still call it 2WTC.

What is this? Are we naming everything else after corporate entities, just like we do with our sporting venues? Stadiums and so on.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 08:42 PM   #3208
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
What about 1 Penn Plaza? 15 CPW? 40 Wall? 30 Rock? It works.

And Related isn't really using "real" addresses anyway (i.e. 500 W 31st St, etc). It's all about promoting the HY district.
It works if it's distinctive... but other than architecture junkies most everyone else will not have a clue what these buildings are. 30 Rock does because it's an affectionate nickname... not just the clinical street address. People know Madison Square Garden, but really would most people know any other of the Penn Plaza buildings by address reference?

Anyway, good to hear at least Related is not being **** here, merely trying to promote its development at HY.
Old September 24th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #3209
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

The widened/relocated fence on Vesey Street by 2 WTC will be "opening" 9/29/14. It will shift pedestrians South 40 feet according to my sources.

Swiddle, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #3210
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Tower 2 is a core first building.

[IMG]http://i62.************/oganoj.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Otie; September 30th, 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #3211
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Won't 3WTC have a higher podium?

onewtclover liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #3212
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Man I can't wait for this to go up, this and 3 WTC are the best looking towers of the 4.

A.J.B 22 liked this post
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #3213
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Won't 3WTC have a higher podium?
That's a diagram of each tower at different stages of construction. The 3 WTC podium will be taller than that (I believe up to the top of the teal bands), but it's also illustrating that the core and tower sections will rise first.

If only 2 WTC were actually rising at the same time...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:23 AM   #3214
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

2WTC has 4 cores?! o_O

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 02:55 AM   #3215
Zackalax13

Likes (Received): 143

Hey Otie! Do you have a construction animation of tower 2 you could let us see? You know just to keep us occupied while we wait.
Zackalax13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 04:19 AM   #3216
Otie
Researcher

No, this is being developed by a private stakeholder, not by the Port, so I don't have access to specific material. I do have an isometric structural diagram, but it belongs to a previous design before revision last year. I don't know anything after revision.
Old October 1st, 2014, 06:25 AM   #3217
Fish1589

Likes (Received): 1

There was a revision? I didn't know that. Does anyone know what changes were made?
Fish1589 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 01:59 PM   #3218
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

The only ones I heard of were the addition of mechanical floor louvers on the crown.

weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM   #3219
Otie
Researcher

No, kid. Louvers were always there.
Old October 1st, 2014, 04:00 PM   #3220
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Oh no, I fear 2WTC suffered the same faith as 3WTC and got valuee engineered...Fingers crossed it's not what's meant with "revision"...

msquaredb liked this post
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center