daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #3481
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Actually the podium floors have columns because of how large the floorplates are.
I should have said relatively column-free. Ideally trading floors are designed with no columns. The UBS floor in Stamford CT is a good example:

I can't image any media organization that wouldn't crave a space like that.

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #3482
ploppalopp

Likes (Received): 1022

Great news about the possibility of an anchor!
ploppalopp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #3483
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
They're only redesigning the base, which was designed with trading floors in mind.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/ny...-say.html?_r=0

Posted at SSP, the last part makes it sound like they might redesign more than the base.

I'm not optimistic given how things have gone at the WTC site

Quote:
The talks at the trade center began earlier this year. Initially, Mr. Murdoch’s companies had wanted to gain control of the site from Mr. Silverstein and build a smaller tower designed by their own architect. That proved undoable for various reasons.

The companies are now talking about taking about half of the building — 1.5 million square feet — designed by Mr. Foster, but they still may bring in their own architect for the changes.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #3484
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Murdoch CANNOT shorten the tower or change the iconic four diamond top. If a lot of people loathe him and Fox News now, goodness knows if the changes have to do with anything but the lower part of the building, if Fox bastardizes this tower as it often does the News... better Silverstein and the Port Authority walk away. This tower WILL get built but rather wait a while longer for a proper suitor than marry just to settle. I WANT this to work out but only if the FOX bid doesn't entail radically changing(and NOT for the better) the design of the building. Tower 2 as envisioned absolutely completes and connects the WTC complex and makes it work. The soaring vision must prevail.

Enigmatism415 liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #3485
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Their modification better be to make it 13 feet taller to match the original height of 2WTC.

citybooster, onewtclover liked this post
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #3486
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Posted at SSP, the last part makes it sound like they might redesign more than the base.

But the article notes that the foundation is poured and it will dictate any changes made. If money becomes a problem Silverstein can go to David Childs to predictably reduce a stunning design to just another bland box. I hope that doesn't occur but Larry wants to see 2WTC rise in his lifetime.
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:08 AM   #3487
ploppalopp

Likes (Received): 1022

Gosh, I hope they don't kill 2 Wtc like 1wtc was.
ploppalopp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #3488
PABLOEING

Likes (Received): 28

NOBODY HAVE TO CHANGE THE 2 WTC DESIGN.......
PABLOEING no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #3489
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Your "worries" are unfounded. It merely says that Fox would lease half the tower. But for the base, Foster's design won't Change.

Last edited by LondoniumLex; April 11th, 2015 at 03:41 PM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #3490
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

The overall shape of the tower won't change much, since the foundations are poured and 2WTC is already above street level. But I do expect some design changes:

1. a slight height cut, 50 - 100 feet.
2. redesign of the base.
3. cheapening of the diamonds.
4. cheaper facade / glass panels.

Since this is the WTC we are talking about, one of those four scenarios will most likely happen.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #3491
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I was worried when I read that Murdoch wanted a shorter tower design... fortunately because of the foundation that will be impractical. I just don't see Murdoch killing a n icon by downsizing the tower and doing away with the incredible four diamond roof panel. THAT is the part of this tower that connects the WTC complex, gives it a real heart and soul. It makes all kinds of sense if they redesign the base since the needs of Fox would be different from a financial corporation... probably the changes in the lower level will actually be a significant improvement. Fox's architect then would as the article says redesign the base but I'm really betting Fox won't move away from Foster's design elsewhere especially at that crucial roof four tiered diamond formation.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #3492
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
The overall shape of the tower won't change much, since the foundations are poured and 2WTC is already above street level. But I do expect some design changes:

1. a slight height cut, 50 - 100 feet.
2. redesign of the base.
3. cheapening of the diamonds.
4. cheaper facade / glass panels.

Since this is the WTC we are talking about, one of those four scenarios will most likely happen.
Hunser, while you're one of the best posters, your comments constitute unfounded speculation. Let's wait for the details.
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #3493
LondoniumLex
BANNED

This train station is one of the most iconic structures in the world and was worth every penny. It, together with the memorials, will provide an iconic setting for Fox if it consummates a deal.

Yesterday

mafd12, citybooster liked this post
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #3494
The Lion

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Hunser, while you're one of the best posters, your comments constitute unfounded speculation. Let's wait for the details.
Agreed. Hunser is the man, but there is absolutely zero reason to think the diamonds, height, or glass will be changed/cheapened.

If I remember correctly, Larry has stated this is his favorite tower of the complex.

I am betting on some minor changes to the base. I bet we will hardly be able to tell.

Larry is confident in downtown New York. 30 Park Place is a beauty, and he is essentially building 3 World Trade on spec.

We're in good hands, guys!
The Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #3495
LondoniumLex
BANNED

The good news is that if the changes to the base aren't feasible, Tishman has a supertall site that's available!

citybooster liked this post
Old April 11th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #3496
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
[IMG]http://i57.************/11268tg.jpg[/IMG]

Credit to otie

Kanto, Wrocer, mrsmartman liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #3497
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Your "worries" are unfounded. It merely says that Fox would lease half the tower. But for the base, Foster's design won't Change.
I'm worried because they bailed on one of the most important parts of 1WTC (the radome) and shortened/cheapened 3WTC.

Granted those buildings still look good but I've had enough disappointments (albeit minor) with the WTC site.

I'm not saying they will definitely shorted/cheapen it but I'm going to brace myself just in case.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #3498
LondoniumLex
BANNED

You have nothing to worry about, Jay.
Old April 11th, 2015, 09:37 PM   #3499
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Let's bring back Windows on the World up there! The diamonds even look like abstract windows. I'm guessing that the potential new tenants would occupy the lower portion of the tower because of the larger floor plates.

The logo could incorporate this:

Kanto, onewtclover, ryaboisse liked this post
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #3500
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I don't dare to speculate on any redesigns as of now because I haven't got a clue what goes on in Murdoch's head and what he plans for this building. I just hope that this deal will be signed and Fox will move to the tower. Why? Because a TV station is the best tenant Larry could hope for since it gives the tower not just money, but also fame. Imagine watching Midtown or the Freedom Tower from one of the higher floors in every episode of a talkshow or a news program. Air time will give the new complex considerable fame among the common people, which is very needed, since there are still many people who haven't got a clue the WTC was rebuilt. Fame is the path to an iconic status, which this complex rightly deserves and who can help more in this matter than a major TV ctation?

Btw, I think that the changes on the base that is to be converted from trading to studio might evnd up absolutely invisible from the outside. Just a little movement of some columns and ceilings and that might be it. We must wait and see

onewtclover, ryaboisse liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center