daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #3521
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
The original WTC also had a food court area at the observation deck. What people want is a completely separate high-end restaurant and bar. The restaurant at the observation deck is probably going to be a zoo, but I'd be happy to be wrong.
The problem with high end restaurants is that most people can't afford them. But yes, there should have been both an affordable dinner/lunch place and a high end restaurant in the Freedom Tower

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #3522
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

If I'm not mistaken, there will be three dining options. A cafeteria, a pub/bar, and a fancier restaurant called ONE.

I'll find out soon enough, though. Already have tickets for mid-June.
Old April 13th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #3523
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
There's also a bar at 1 WTC

How much are they cramming up there?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #3524
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

The observatory cover three floors
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #3525
davidagnino

Likes (Received): 50

2WTC might be resuming development.

According to Curbed.com:

Quote:
The crystalline Norman Foster-designed 2 World Trade Center, the last tower of the new 16-acre complex, could be closer to reality than expected. The New York Times reports that developer Larry Silverstein is in talks with media giants News Corporation and 21st Century Fox to build a joint headquarters in the 1,349-foot tower. Signing an anchor tenant would be the first step toward construction for the tower, which is the only World Trade Center skyscraper left in planning purgatory. The discussions are "shrouded in a confidentiality agreement," but if the media companies did want to move to 2 WTC, the designs would need "a substantial revision."

The Times says that the companies want the base of the tower to be reconfigured to hold television studios, and "both sides are spending an enormous amount of time and money assessing the feasibility of the project." As the designs stand right now, 2 World Trade Center holds the promise of being the most lovely tower of the bunch, so we hope it doesn't change too much.
Here's the full article:
2 World Trade Center Shows Signs of Life With Tenant Talks

And here's the link to the New York Times Article: News Corp. and Fox Said to Consider Move to World Trade Center Site
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #3526
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

I'm pretty sure prep for construction will start up this year.
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #3527
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

It doesn't seem like it should be a lot of work to convert space that was going to be trading floors into studio space for the television companies. They will probably require higher ceilings so possibly a lower floor count but I don't believe that would affect the total height. They can't really change the shape of the base because of all the underground foundations that have already been completed.

citybooster liked this post
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #3528
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

studio space is quite complex because of all electronics, sound barriers etc.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #3529
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
I'm pretty sure prep for construction will start up this year.
That's indeed possible. Can't wait for this tower
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #3530
Tower Dude

I'm pretty sure they will find a way to make it work, if they could do it at 30 Rock they can do it here

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:36 AM   #3531
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
I'm pretty sure they will find a way to make it work, if they could do it at 30 Rock they can do it here
They're not at 30 Rock. They have a ground level studio on 6th. Maybe they'll just build to their own specs At Tishman's HY site, where they'd overlook the park on Hudson Blvd.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #3532
Tower Dude

Well I meant I meant the architectural team that built studios into 30 Rock with out compromising its over al design

davidagnino liked this post
Old April 14th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #3533
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
studio space is quite complex because of all electronics, sound barriers etc.
That kind of stuff was just auxiliary to the structure itself. Since the lower floors were already laid out to be large spaces for trading floors it shouldn't take a lot of changes to convert them to studio space. Anyplace of sufficient size can be converted into the studio by adding the appropriate equipment and sound deadening.

Kanto liked this post
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #3534
Steve92691

Likes (Received): 25

I have worked in television for several years now, and it is very easy to set up a studio nowadays. Especially now with newer contruction techniques and lighter materials. My only worry is the possibility of Newscorp being an anchor tenant. That would mean FoxNews would be in the tower. Oh, well. Take the bitter with the sweet.

MarshallKnight, WSB, Wbino49, j-biz liked this post
Steve92691 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #3535
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3321

From Archpaper blog:

Thanks to Rupert Murdoch, Norman Foster’s 2 World Trade Center might actually happen

Tuesday, April 14, 2015
by Henry Melcher

Richard Rogers‘ long-stalled 3 World Trade Center finally climbing again, it’s concrete core rising steadily above its nearly-complete podium. Now, it’s Norman Foster’s turn to bring the last of the World Trade towers to life, and it might happen this time with the help of a media giant.

It’s starting to look like Foster + Partners‘ 2 World Trade Center might actually get built, and it’s all thanks to Rupert Murdoch. The New York Times reported that News Corporation and 21st Century Fox—both owned by the billionaire media mogul—are interested in using half the building (1.5 million square feet) as a joint headquarters.

While there are no firm plans to speak of, the companies have reportedly been in talks for months with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and developer Larry Silverstein, who has rights to build at the site. If the tower is built, it would effectively complete the drawn-out rebuilding of the World Trade Center.

Two World Trade Center was originally scheduled to open in 2011, but, as is the case with just about everything with the World Trade Center redevelopment, that deadline didn’t stick.

The building, as designed by Foster, is widely considered to be the most architecturally adventurous of the glassy World Trade Center bunch. The 79-story structure appears as four rectangular forms, diagonally sliced at the top to form a set of four diamonds. “The building occupies a pivotal position at north-east corner of Memorial Park, and its profile reflects this role as a symbolic marker,” Foster + Partners said in a 2006 statement. “Arranged around a central cruciform core, the shaft is articulated as four interconnected blocks with flexible, column-free office floors that rise to level sixty-four, whereupon the building is cut at angle to address the Memorial below.”

The building’s design was drawn up between 2006–2007 and is expected to change at least slightly if this deal moves forward—which the Times noted is far from certain. But if it does go through, the companies might select their own architect for changes. “Given that the foundation has been built, the two sides are assessing whether the structure can accommodate the changes they want for television studios,” reported the Times.

http://blog.archpaper.com/2015/04/th...tually-happen/

Kanto, The Shard Baby liked this post
Skylimitone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #3536
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylimitone View Post
From Archpaper blog:

The building, as designed by Foster, is widely considered to be the most architecturally adventurous of the glassy World Trade Center bunch. The 79-story structure appears as four rectangular forms, diagonally sliced at the top to form a set of four diamonds. “The building occupies a pivotal position at north-east corner of Memorial Park, and its profile reflects this role as a symbolic marker,” Foster + Partners said in a 2006 statement. “Arranged around a central cruciform core, the shaft is articulated as four interconnected blocks with flexible, column-free office floors that rise to level sixty-four, whereupon the building is cut at angle to address the Memorial below.”

http://blog.archpaper.com/2015/04/th...tually-happen/
What a description. It seems to be the favorite of both architecture fans and the media alike. I think Murdoch would be crazy to alter the diamonds as they are not only integral to the design, but the symbolism as well. Also, I'm pretty sure his ego could only be complemented by such an iconic building.

davidagnino, citybooster liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #3537
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Yeah, while I think Murdoch would have loved their own building in the HY area, while there will be changes especially for the base area he milks symbolism at Fox for everything it's worth and be loathe to be the one to screw up the iconic four diamond roof that really is the heart of the World Trade complex. If Fox agrees, and being the dominant tenant of this tower would be a huge ego stroke for Murdoch... he'll keep the diamond roof.

Kanto liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #3538
Tower Dude

^ "Milks Symbolism"? That's pretty much the entire Foundation upon which Fox News is Built!

Old April 15th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #3539
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I don't care so long as this gets built. I'm saying if Murdoch follows his pattern he won't **** up the design. Would I rather someone else help build 2? Yes, but Fox has deep pockets and if this the best chance to get it built, so be it.

ploppalopp liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 04:00 AM   #3540
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

Even though I don't like Fox either , but their production company 21st/20th Century Fox are responsible for a lot of great award winning movies. If this what gets 2WTC up and moving like its siblings than I'm all for it, this is my favorite tower out of all of the new NYC World Trade Center Complex towers

Last edited by Shakkur98; April 16th, 2015 at 04:10 AM.
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center