daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #3581
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28160

I think with the underground floors and foundations in place, the overall shape cannot change much. The base is ifferent story though.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #3582
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

I wish articles would stop trying to make a big deal out of the base possibly changing, by writing nonsense such as "dramatically change".

They CAN'T change the building "dramatically"

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

Enigmatism415 liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #3583
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I wouldn't be so sure. We don't have the data about how the existing foundation would perform with a changed design, so we can't assess the feasibility of major changes. Not even a top class engineer could tell you to what extent the design can change without extensive computer stress modelling. Only engineering research can tell, whether the design is unchangable, or whether it could change so much, that it would bare nearly no resemblance to the 2WTC we know

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #3584
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

They want reasonable studio space in the base, so there isn't a reason for them to change the upper portion of the tower.

There many unique features this tower is suppose have, with many having to do with it reflecting light and such. Don't let them mess this building up, Silverstein.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

Kanto liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #3585
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Yes, technically they have no reason, although if Murdoch would want to change the design to his prefference I think that might be reason enough for him. I agree that the current design is wonderrful and the only changes I would welcome would be a height increase and the solidification of the top of the uppermost diamond - otherwise leave the tower as it is, because Foster designed a phenomenal masterpiece over here

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #3586
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Whoa! I am NUMB!!!!

I can seriously wait for another anchor even if it could take another couple of years.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

onewtclover, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #3587
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

I'm somewhere between extremely curious and extremely excited to think that 2WTC might get a touch of BIG. I really really cannot wait to see the end result if the deal goes through.
That Murdoch sounds like a control freak wanting to bring his own architect when Foster could very well come up with those changes himself.

Last edited by Ghostface79; April 25th, 2015 at 04:36 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #3588
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Clearly, News Corp is very interested in this site since it could build whatever it wants at the HY, and yet it's engaging in feasibility studies here.

ryaboisse liked this post

Last edited by LondoniumLex; April 25th, 2015 at 02:21 AM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #3589
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22510

BIG has churned out some interesting supertall designs. Even if they tweaked the exterior design I doubt it would be anything banal.

Old April 25th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #3590
(:

Likes (Received): 229

It's unfortunate I dislike those designs so much...

onewtclover liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #3591
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

I like BIG, I like Bjarke Ingles, I LOVE Foster's design for Tower two and this news about big coming on board makes me kinda nervous about this "tower"

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 03:32 AM   #3592
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Clearly, News Corp is very interested in this site since it could build whatever it wants at the HY, and yet it's engaging in feasibility studies here.
Yea it seemed like they are really serious about that move, so much so that they already have an architect in mind. Who know what can happen but I have a hard time seeing this deal fall through. Besides this is the best chance Silverstein has got so far to see the tower built, I doubt he'll pass on it.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; April 25th, 2015 at 03:37 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 03:42 AM   #3593
LondoniumLex
BANNED

The WSJ article said that the WTC is cheaper than the HY. I assume News Corp could get a good deal from Related, which I am sure wants to clean up the horrible McDonald's site before it markets its condos. I wonder what the story is.

In any event, I hope that News Corp doesn't stay on 6th.

Kanto liked this post
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #3594
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I'm torn. At least Ingles favors truly bold designs, and the tower will remain at least around its currently discussed height. But losing those diamond roof formations is a really tough pill... if they had decided to build smaller like it was mentioned in another post I would have been livid. Ingles does seem indeed to build "BIG" and bold, to pardon the pun, however... if he does change the top but comes up with something bold and daring, maybe it will be worth it. Getting this tower built first and foremost has to be the priority, and the second priority is making it visionary and bold. It seems this will do both, but like I said the losing the diamonds, a powerful and poignant formation, isn't something I'm thrilled about at all. Hopefully the decision by Murdoch won't take too long, and we'll know very soon what will be going down, or not, at the WTC2 site.

Kanto liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #3595
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

I'm not saying the comparison is 100% accurate, but for a moment just imagine them delaying the moon landing for ten years fighting over some $$$, then deciding to build a space station in low Earth orbit instead. Obvious hyperbole to some, but to me it properly describes how aggravating the history of the 2WTC rebuild is to me, and I can't be the only one.

Kanto liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #3596
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I'm not saying the comparison is 100% accurate, but for a moment just imagine them delaying the moon landing for ten years fighting over some $$$, then deciding to build a space station in low Earth orbit instead. Obvious hyperbole to some, but to me it properly describes how aggravating the history of the 2WTC rebuild is to me, and I can't be the only one.
+ 1, although we don't know if it will be a space station yet, we could still get the full moon landing even though I'm starting to have my doubts.

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #3597
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

After being really numb about the prospect of an architect change, I have to admit that Bjark is really an interesting and intriguing choice & I will have to reserve judgement until more details are released. I must say, he's a fine alternative to switch to.

First... It's great news that News Corp is planning to set down roots at the WTC site and finally we may see a completed WTC complex way before I had ever imagined & Ingels may come up with something spectacular.

It's quite possible, Foster still may find a work around modifying the design of the base to fit News Corp's needs which would be the best case scenario for me. If Bjarke Ingels fails to figure a way to design an acceptable base for a tv studio for the site with the already finished foundations, then News Corp could always decide to call an audible and decide to foster a joint venture with either Tishman or Related to deliver a Bjarke Ingels Supertall at the Hudson Yards despite reports saying they had already crossed out the Hudson Yards!! It seems Mr. Ingels is Murdoch's preferred architect & where else will they have an opportunity to build a tower from scratch to fit their needs other than the Yards.

There are still many large companies still out there looking to quite possibly anchor a new tower so either way, I'm not too concerned especially when it comes to the fate of 2 WTC.

So whatever News Corp decides, it has the makings of a win win situation asfaic.

We could get an amazing Bjark Ingles Supertall and a completed site at the WTC

or

We get both a Bjark Ingels supertall in the a Hudson Yards and eventually Fosters iconic diamond supertall just as long as News Corp decides not to stay put where they are currently. From the sound of things I really don't think it's even an alternative for Murdock cuz dude is just itching to put all of his companies under one house.

Too many unknowns at this point but to hear News Corp flirting to co-develop a new supertall tower is just amazing news.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #3598
sylar82

Likes (Received): 19

They have that large rear podium on the building which looks like it has a lot of open floor space, how hard could it be to turn those into studios?

Kanto liked this post
sylar82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #3599
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I agree, VG. While I can see Tishman having a high asking price, I doubt that Related does at 50 HY. I'd like to see a BIG tower there.

Kanto liked this post
Old April 27th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #3600
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I'm a fan of BIG, but I really don't think skyscraper design is their forte. I'd much rather they just stick with the Foster Design.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center