daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2015, 01:14 AM   #3621
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

delete

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2015, 01:20 AM   #3622
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

this tower was nice fox sucks and the whole complex will die twice and it should not have to die twice and this is why you don't let politicians and the port authority make the decisions 4 and 3 wtc will be the only buildings keeping it alive. they should have either built the complex at cost like the hudson yards and no corner cutting and as planned, rebuilt the twin towers or a 16 acre memorial.
Old May 1st, 2015, 02:32 PM   #3623
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Oh god, you're the next worst thing to a NIMBY. The last thing they should've ever done was rebuild the old world trade center. Manhattan West is a contemporary memorial for the look of the old WTC, be happy with that. Manhattan is cubist enough without those old monoliths.

Also, 1 WTC is a masterpiece, it's simplistic, but timeless, a great anchor for the skyline. You naysayers are the same people that hates the original WTC when it was built, but will praise it in 20 years.

On a different note, since the new design will utilize the same foundation, the design has to be very similar to the old one, so I think that's further validation that we won't see a dramatic redesign. Granted, I question the point of bringing in an architect known for his intense designs for a simple base change, it seems they'd bring in Nouvel or some other conservative-contemporary architect to do the redesign if they just wanted a simple base change. So the fact they brought in an architect so well known for his intense designs makes me wonder if it's more than a simple redo.

onewtclover, citybooster, Philly Bud liked this post
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:31 PM   #3624
Zaanstad_1987
Walking Dutchman

Likes (Received): 30

The world trade center towers are a group, they are different but have the same impact/style. Changing 2 WTC would make it a odd stepbrother...

Better wait for another tenant if it messes up the design... It already has taken too long, why not add some time to get a better result.

(:, NatFan9 liked this post
Zaanstad_1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:08 PM   #3625
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

I disagree, the world trade center is made up of towers that utilize similar materials, but the designs are extremely different, as they were all designed by different firms. If they were all basically the same, with minor variances, I'd agree a redesign would be a horrible idea. But they're very different, yet still cohesive, and as such, a redesign could still easily render a beautiful building that works in the complex with the other towers, perhaps more than the current design.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:29 AM   #3626
(:

Likes (Received): 229

This kinda upset me
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1687090&page=5

Kanto liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:49 AM   #3627
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by (: View Post
What does that have to do with 2WTC?

4npower, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:51 AM   #3628
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Yeah, seriously! I think somebody clicked the wrong button
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:55 AM   #3629
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I got really scared for a second actually...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 03:48 PM   #3630
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I think he was upset that Larry is building buildings in China, but 2WTC is on hold
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:14 PM   #3631
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Yea and that he can build a 1,400' building there while cutting costs here.

Kanto liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:50 PM   #3632
Cieślak

Likes (Received): 4

New WTC looks rly nice
Cieślak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:20 PM   #3633
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
It's all about the bottom line. I'm sure the building in China costs less to build and is probably more demand for it than for WTC-2. Silverstein and every other developer build where they have the best return on their investment and until a major tenant signs for WTC-2 there isn't much potential for profit from his investment there.

Maybe seeing this building built in China is a good thing. Maybe Larry is looking at using profits generated from leasing the building in China to help defray some of the cost of building WTC-2.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:23 PM   #3634
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
That's such an odd metric...

You rent space, not height (i.e. more height doesn't necessarily equate to more leasable sq. footage)

Without the GSA, it could very well be the case that that building is actually smaller than 2WTC.

*not to mention the actual mix of uses...
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:23 PM   #3635
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

IMHO if this project would have stayed under the PA the buildings would have been built, then filled.

Silverstein is just a money maker middleman.....

Kanto liked this post
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:28 PM   #3636
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
I completely agree with you. The WTC is far more important than some development in Shenzen, it deserves greater height and greater attention and it deserves to be built, not to be on hold for an eternity

Quote:
IMHO if this project would have stayed under the PA the buildings would have been built, then filled.

Silverstein is just a money maker middleman.....
I agree, the PA did a decent job with the Freedom Tower, but Larry's ubergreed is getting me really mad. Tower 2 should have been his focus from the start, yet he chose it to be the last of his four towers

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:24 PM   #3637
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

I guess some of you forgot that 5 years ago the PA wanted to permanently make 2 and 3WTC retail stumps and completely axe 5WTC. So hating on Larry who stopped that from happening isn't really cool in my opinion. There is greed on both sides. The problem was the master plan was way to ambitious and turned out to cost way more then anticipated. Lets just be happy there are signs of hope for 2WTC again, very promising signs this time.

onewtclover liked this post
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:39 PM   #3638
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

If anything, Larry is the saving grace for the site so show him some respect.

Msradell liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:51 PM   #3639
Kanto
Roof height crusader

True, however Larry's desire to go for quantity of towers intead of quality meant that there is no signature tower in the new WTC, which essentially doomed the rebuilding effort to be a relatively ordinary development when compared to the ambitions of the old WTC. I absolutely love the new WTC, I think all the buildings are masterpieces of architecture and engineering, but the fact remains that it has essentially zero ambition when compared to the old complex, which was the first complex since Giza to feature not one, but two WTBs.

If he would scrap towers 3, 4 and 7, then tower 2 could have been 2 000 feet to the roof. That is something I will never forgive Larry. He did the greedy thing, he built many shorter towers instead of one truly tall tower. If he would wait until like 2010 or 2011 without building anything I'm sure he could get anchor tenants that would allow him to finance a 2 000 foot 2WTC. I love all the towers of the new complex, but I would gladly accept towers 3, 4, and 7 being cancelled if it meant tower 2 would be a landmark.

Wrocer, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #3640
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5147

There's a 50-50 possibility that Bjarke ruins the tower or he makes a good design, but why taking the risk? Foster's design is beautiful, the plot is ready for it, it has been revised and fixed several times for around 10 years, etc. Making a new design would just be an unnecessary waste of money and time, which may or may not look good with the rest of the complex.

It's a shame really that they are doing this. 1WTC and 2WTC are supposed to be the real icons of the whole complex. I really wouldn't have cared if they changed 3WTC or 4WTC, but changing 2WTC, specially when the design is already great is a real shame.

EDIT: from past knowledge about Bjarke Ingels, I'm pretty sure building his design would be much more expensive than Fosters.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

bodegavendetta liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center