daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #3681
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 242

LOVE THIS TOWER.. BUILD IT PLEASE
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:05 AM   #3682
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The worst thing they could have done on the site was build towers that look like they're about to collapse
There is one design idea even worse than that

The cloud by MVRDV.

FWIW, this was proposed for a site in South Korea, not anywhere near NYC.

And I suppose that the great Grozny dovecote also belongs in a list of worst nightmare developments. Should make any doubter reappreciate 1WTC

Last edited by WillBuild; May 21st, 2015 at 12:20 AM.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 01:09 AM   #3683
ryaboisse

Likes (Received): 91

What's the chance this gets ruined?

Like in percent? It would be such a same to see anything but what's proposed. When do we think we'll hear more?
ryaboisse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #3684
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

They can't do a lot of changes to the tower due to the facts that
1. lower portion is integrated with the rest of the project and it is already built.

2. the way tower is turned is to allow sun at one particular point in exact time and day on 9.11 to struck the memorial - if the tower shape is changed, this idea is gone, which will be a major spit in the face of all New York.

so if it is any major redesign - they have very very few choices here. unless they want to open this can of worms and go down into history as the ones who ruined the memorial and its all idea.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

davidagnino, ryaboisse, Joshua Dodd liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #3685
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
2. the way tower is turned is to allow sun at one particular point in exact time and day on 9.11 to struck the memorial - if the tower shape is changed, this idea is gone, which will be a major spit in the face of all New York.
Unfortunately if it makes them money it's always an option
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #3686
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I wouldn't put "a spit in the face of all New York" past them honestly, look what happened to the spire of 1WTC, I mean I can live with it but I think it's a pretty big FU.

We shall see

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #3687
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Hi everyone been awhile since my last post but I'm wondering about 2WTC now that 1WTC is finished. I liked Foster's design for 2WTC, the diamond slanted roof was nice but to me the building was underwhelming for the site. So 2WTC is on hold now. But supposedly NewsCorp is trying to get involved. If that deal goes through with Silverstein, & the new firm BIG & Ingels do replace Foster, what may come of it design-wise? It seems to me this is a golden opportunity to make a truly iconic tower, with elements of Foster's design if needed, given the already-finished foundation.

But since 1WTC is 1776 feet tall (actually 1368 feet in my book) since I count to roof-height not antenna, & Nordstrum tower & many of the midtown ones will be rivaling if not surpassing 1WTC in height, it seems to me they should use this opportunity to make 2WTC at least 1362 feet as high as the old South Tower, to give some balance to 1WTC, or even make 2WTC taller than 1WTC.

In my opinion, what they could do would be keep Foster's outline for the basic design & existing foundations that were built, but add to the top somehow. Since 1WTC's antenna gives it the 1776 feet height, they could make 2WTC at least 1362 feet high to roof height, maybe even 1400 or 1600 feet high to roof height, still keeping it slightly less than 1WTC's antenna tip. I think they should use this as a golden opportunity to truly make an iconic, captivating, mega-tall building out of 2WTC.

I like 1WTC, and am thrilled it's finished, but to me the finished design is just a bit bland & corporate-generic-looking. The Twin Towers were equals, & both needed the other to be aesthetically pleasing & dominating. I don't think they should make 2WTC a twin of Childs' 1WTC but I really hope they use this opportunity to build it taller, maybe adding an outdoor observation deck too or a restaurant.

These are just my opinions, I just don't think a sub-tall generic looking glass office tower that isn't even that tall or interesting is what we need for 2WTC. I hope they make it a 1700 footer & then there would truly be some sense of vague visual restoration at the site. Just my opinion.

Yuri S Andrade liked this post
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #3688
marsh

And as far as making the building drastically different, it would be no different than what they did with 1WTC's spire, making it the slender antenna it is. I'm not saying make a twin of 1WTC far from it..I'd just love them to use this chance to make an iconic looking, tall building for 2WTC and make it tall to roof height not with a spindly antenna! They could do this, without going taller than 1WTC's antenna, with the rather silly arbitrary 1776 foot number they used for it. Who says 1WTC has to be the tallest on the site? The twin towers were basically equal in height after all. So why not make 2WTC taller than 1WTC. Especially given the meaning of the site, & all the other up and comping billionaire towers that the general public will never set foot in.
Old May 28th, 2015, 02:20 AM   #3689
(:

Though the design may change the height will probably remain about the same. As was said above the foundations are completed. To build a tower to 1,400' + would mean a redo of the base which costs money and neither the PA or Silverstein seem willing to give money to the site.
I really don't see the design changing though, maybe just a few details in the base.

davidagnino, Lt. H Caine liked this post
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #3690
hentus

Likes (Received): 7

I hope they don't change the overall look of this building, although it would be cool if they make it taller
hentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #3691
(:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/11...html?referrer=

In this video 2 WTC seems unchanged.
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #3692
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

Quote:
Originally Posted by (: View Post

I noticed that! But you can also see 5WTC in that video aswell, and if I'm correct there isn't even an OFFICIAL design for 5WTC as JPMorgan Chase backed out a long time ago.

I'm fine with a slight change to the base of this tower, but i hope the overall design doesn't change much. I would however love to see the height of this building changed to that of the original 2WTC

Last edited by Lt. H Caine; May 29th, 2015 at 01:41 PM.
Lt. H Caine está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:57 AM   #3693
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by (: View Post

Was that 5 WTC I saw in the video? Are they bringing it back?
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 06:11 PM   #3694
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

they seem to be setting up some kind of fence on the west side of 2wtc. I wonder what it is for.http://www.earthcam.net/archives/21b...05/31/1045.jpg
Old May 31st, 2015, 06:43 PM   #3695
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

That will be a new passageway from Vesey to the Memorial once the NE quadrant opens.
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 08:50 PM   #3696
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Was that 5 WTC I saw in the video? Are they bringing it back?

HOLY CRAP IT IS!!! Have they not given up? Are they just focused on WTC 2&3 First?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:05 PM   #3697
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
HOLY CRAP IT IS!!! Have they not given up? Are they just focused on WTC 2&3 First?
Probably just a placeholder. It still has the , ugly, urinal design.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:19 PM   #3698
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Well no doubt they would change the design. But the question is there still hope for WTC 5?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:13 PM   #3699
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I wouldn't put "a spit in the face of all New York" past them honestly, look what happened to the spire of 1WTC, I mean I can live with it but I think it's a pretty big FU.

We shall see
Spire as an element was not required for the memorial. it was just a nice addition to a tower. in this case we have the shape of the building which accommodates the provisions of the memorial. you simply can't ignore the shape, since otherwise the sun will not get to the place where it is intended to go on 9.11 every year. So it is a major problem for them. They might kill the top of the tower with some boring look, but it is extremely hard and costly to change the 6 side footprint of the building itself. at least I hope so.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:51 PM   #3700
marsh

The whole site has been a major missed opportunity in my opinion. With 1WTC cronyism & too much input made the tower rather unremarkable. It's a nice tower, & reclaims the skyline, & I'm thrilled it's there, but they could have done so much better. I'm just not a fan of all-glass, corporate bland looking buildings with little character to them. 2WTC is the heir to the South Tower, it seems something a bit more vibrant (while practical) should be built. If they go with Foster's design, fine with me. I just hope they don't go with boring.

Is it the same Foster who had the Kissing Towers design for the wtc way back? If so I really liked that design & wished it had been selected I think it was way more unique & interesting

firoz bharmal liked this post

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center