daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2015, 11:09 PM   #3701
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

The animation is not a representative of the architect's and/or developer's plans. It was probably produced by a VFX studio working for Legends. Whoever made the video, they didn't bother on the details, as I see many inconsistencies on Silverstein's skyscrapers, the hub and Liberty Park.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:31 PM   #3702
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

^ Is there still a plan for a WTC5, or is that passed?
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 12:08 AM   #3703
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Was truly an impressive and fairly ambitious design.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 12:28 AM   #3704
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

From what I keep hearing, if the deal with NewsCorp/Murdoch goes through, they will have the Dutch architect redesign 2WTC to fit the needs of the tower being a center for media as opposed to finance. If the deal does not go through, Foster's design will be built as conceived. Or so I keep hearing.

ryaboisse liked this post
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 12:28 AM   #3705
marsh

As for 5WTC, it doesn't seem likely that will be built any time soon.
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:17 AM   #3706
Tower Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post

Oh ya totally only after they fill 2/3rds of 3 and 1/2 of 2 Then they will start discussing it.

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:07 AM   #3707
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
The whole site has been a major missed opportunity in my opinion. With 1WTC cronyism & too much input made the tower rather unremarkable. It's a nice tower, & reclaims the skyline, & I'm thrilled it's there, but they could have done so much better. I'm just not a fan of all-glass, corporate bland looking buildings with little character to them. 2WTC is the heir to the South Tower, it seems something a bit more vibrant (while practical) should be built. If they go with Foster's design, fine with me. I just hope they don't go with boring.

Is it the same Foster who had the Kissing Towers design for the wtc way back? If so I really liked that design & wished it had been selected I think it was way more unique & interesting

It is most certainly a unique design that deserves credit for that merit. However, I am happy with the tower arrangement that was chosen in the end only because of how perfectly 1 2 3 and 4 perfectly fill in the "crater" gap that was left behind. However, with that said, I think something of this particular design would fit well as a centerpiece in another city with a less congested skyline, like how Devon Tower stands as a looming centerpiece for Oklahoma City.

citybooster, iamtheSTIG liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:17 AM   #3708
marsh

Yea I like 1WTC okay, I'm glad they built it, & reclaimed the space in a sense, I just they could have done way better for the site as whole given the history there & location. But I think as time goes on 1wtc will grow on me more (maybe). It doesn't quite command the visual sense of awe that the Twins did though.

I also think once 2wtc & 2wtc are finished, & the site fills in more, the whole thing will be better. 3wtc is now well underway, I'm very curiously awaiting to see what 2wtc will look like.
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:26 AM   #3709
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Yea I like 1WTC okay, I'm glad they built it, & reclaimed the space in a sense, I just they could have done way better for the site as whole given the history there & location. But I think as time goes on 1wtc will grow on me more (maybe). It doesn't quite command the visual sense of awe that the Twins did though.

I also think once 2wtc & 2wtc are finished, & the site fills in more, the whole thing will be better. 3wtc is now well underway, I'm very curiously awaiting to see what 2wtc will look like.
Thanks marsh for your perspectives, probably looking in the early 2020's at earliest for 5 as 3 and then 2 have to be filled substantially. I'm optimistic tough it won't be too long a wait as it's becoming a better bet downtown going after tech and media business as opposed to all finance. I like what you and others say about the complex as a whole, I think 2 will really make this all click and 3 will turn out pretty well too. When we see at least four fully realized buildings replacing what was lost on 9-11 I really think it will come together and really reclaim the skyline.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:13 PM   #3710
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

Quote:
Is it the same Foster who had the Kissing Towers design for the wtc way back? If so I really liked that design & wished it had been selected I think it was way more unique & interesting

Yes it is the same Norman Foster.
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:14 PM   #3711
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
I definitely agree and I'm fine with that. I'd agree we could see this rise in the 2020's but It won't be by the PA that is for sure.

The PA is going in a different direction and I think the 1st order of business is to sell site 5 to another developer and I hope it won't be Silverstein either because after tower 2, he's gonna want to focus securing leases for all of his towers.

Tishman Speyer would be nice, but whomever it will be... the benefit for this to start in the 2020's is that it would be a high probability that this will be a supertall as a dedicated commercial or a mixed use tower.

5 WTC certainly has the square footage to build a supertall easily with aprox 1.2msf I believe.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 09:47 PM   #3712
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I definitely agree and I'm fine with that. I'd agree we could see this rise in the 2020's but It won't be by the PA that is for sure.

The PA is going in a different direction and I think the 1st order of business is to sell site 5 to another developer and I hope it won't be Silverstein either because after tower 2, he's gonna want to focus securing leases for all of his towers.

Tishman Speyer would be nice, but whomever it will be... the benefit for this to start in the 2020's is that it would be a high probability that this will be a supertall as a dedicated commercial or a mixed use tower.

5 WTC certainly has the square footage to build a supertall easily with aprox 1.2msf I believe.
You never know, it could be you to buy the site in a few years

(Or me)

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 11:44 PM   #3713
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Looks like the W Hotel would want the property.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=419

Last edited by Scrapernab2; June 1st, 2015 at 11:52 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:39 AM   #3714
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Hopefully whatever they build on the WTC5 plot will be taller than the W Hotel, so that you don't have to see that eyesore from the memorial plaza.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Joshua Dodd liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 08:53 AM   #3715
Tower Dude

What would be nice would be a replacement for the Old WTC 3 a hotel conference and residence space with other amenities directly serving the World Trade Center.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:38 PM   #3716
Zaanstad_1987
Walking Dutchman

Likes (Received): 30

Recent article I guess... or better said, a step further in a 'deal'.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/02/news-co...e-center-move/

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Zaanstad_1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:05 AM   #3717
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

News Corp. and 21st Century Fox take step toward World Trade Center move
http://nypost.com/2015/06/02/news-co...e-center-move/

Quote:
News Corp. and 21st Century Fox, the separate media giants controlled by Rupert Murdoch, have taken a big step toward possibly moving to the World Trade Center.

The two companies on Tuesday signed a non-binding but detailed letter of intent (LOI) with developer Larry Silverstein to anchor 2 World Trade Center, the media firms confirmed. The 80-plus-story skyscraper would complete a quartet of new jumbos built to replace the Twin Towers’ office space destroyed on 9/11.

“The new headquarters would provide 21st Century Fox and News Corp. with a range of efficiencies as well as the flexibility for future growth, while helping cement Lower Manhattan as a dynamic new hub for media,” the companies said in a joint statement.

“While no final decisions have been made, we look forward to continuing to work with Silverstein Properties on the design and terms of our lease arrangement.”

Separately, Larry Silverstein called the tentative agreement “a great milestone” for the WTC and downtown, adding, “A decision by 21st Century Fox and News Corp. to move to the new World Trade Center would cap a seismic shift that has taken place in Lower Manhattan over the past decade.”

News Corp. and 21st Century Fox are currently based at 1185 and 1211 Sixth Ave., where leases for both companies expire in 2020. Those leases might be renewed if a final deal can’t be struck downtown.

A decision to move or stay will likely be made by the end of this year — necessary to plan for the future of thousands of employees, and to work out economic and contractual details of either option.

But the LOI is a meaningful step forward in complex negotiations that have gone on for months between the media firms, Silverstein and the Port Authority, which owns the WTC land. “Although it’s non-binding, having all the basic terms in place will accelerate the pace for both sides,” a source said.

Under the proposed deal, 21st Century Fox and News Corp. would occupy about 1.3 million square feet on lower levels of the 2.8 million-square-foot tower under separate leases. The cost of the new tower is unknown, but each of the WTC’s three other towers costs, or is costing, about $1,000 per square foot.

The parties have tapped cutting-edge Danish architect Bjarke Ingels to design the tower, which would have the address of 200 Greenwich St. and rise immediately north of the nearly finished WTC Transportation Hub. The building would have to accommodate highly specific needs for studios, newsrooms and open floor plans — as well as some 100,000 square feet of shopping space to be controlled by WTC retail operator Westfield.

The architect’s Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) also designed the Durst Organization’s dramatic, pyramidal apartment and retail project on West 57th Street between 11th and 12th avenues.

Ingels’ 2 WTC design would replace an earlier one for the site by British architect Norman Foster, which was intended mainly for financial firms. But Ingels’ tower would still fit in with site planner Daniel Libeskind’s original location and height rules.

News Corp. divisions at 1211 and 1185 Sixth Ave. include Dow Jones, which publishes the Wall Street Journal, the New York Post, and News America Marketing.

Divisions of 21st Century Fox include Fox News Channel, Fox Sports and some film and broadcast television units.

News Corp.’s HarperCollins Publishers will remain at 195 Broadway, where it moved from Midtown a few years ago.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

desertpunk, iamtheSTIG, xXFallenXx liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:12 AM   #3718
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Ingels’ 2 WTC design would replace an earlier one for the site by British architect Norman Foster, which was intended mainly for financial firms. But Ingels’ tower would still fit in with site planner Daniel Libeskind’s original location and height rules.

This is probably the worst news I've heard on my time here.

onewtclover liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:16 AM   #3719
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

I think these articles are making the "new design" seem worse than what it will be. The square footage and height will remain the same and all News Corp would need to modify is the base, really.

One possible major complication was trying to figure out how to suit the podium to their needs without interfering with Westfield's retail. I bet Fox wanted all that open space Westfield will be occupying.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:18 AM   #3720
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Well it's either the articles are making it worse or we're in denial and trying to make it better. I really wouldn't be shocked if the entire building is redesigned, which is unfortunate.

mrsmartman liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center