daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:19 AM   #3721
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I may have to change my avatar.

News Corp., 21st Century Fox sign LOI to anchor 2 WTC Murdoch companies would move to Ingels-designed tower upon 2020 lease expiry
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/06/....oR9x4iST.dpuf

Quote:
There is much to be done before a binding agreement with [Silverstein Properties] is reached, and renewing our current lease remains a possibility,” News Corp. said in a statement, also adding “no move would occur prior to 2020.”
Quote:
In a statement, Silverstein Properties chair Larry Silverstein called the agreement “a great milestone” for the World Trade Center and said the move by News Corp. and 21st Century Fox “would cap a seismic shift that has taken place in Lower Manhattan over the past decade.”
Quote:
“This isn’t your grandfather’s Wall Street,” Silverstein added. “While still the international capital of finance, Lower Manhattan has also remade itself into the new media and entertainment capital of America.”

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; June 3rd, 2015 at 12:32 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:45 AM   #3722
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2918

No major redesign, please. Please. Please. Please.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

WSB, onewtclover, Crowns n' Spires liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:04 AM   #3723
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I can't imagine it'll be any better than the current design. Now I just hope it won't be awful.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:48 AM   #3724
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Man. I haven't weighed in on this yet, but I am worried. Bjarke is hugely talented; I find all of his work intellectually stimulating, and in many cases very beautiful. But the Foster design is a masterpiece. My hope would be that BIG has come on more or less in name, for legal reasons or otherwise, and to make adjustments to the existing design at the base.

But considering that this is such a prominent location, this will be one of BIG's first skyscrapers, and that Bjarke has some big ideas and a bit of an ego... you have to think he's not going to defer to Foster's design in the least. He'll want to make a splash.

Plus, I don't really know what the legal issues would be; if BIG is indeed signed on, can they even use Foster's design? I don't really know how ownership of these things works, so if someone is better informed about architectural IP, I'd love for them to weigh in.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:16 AM   #3725
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

While I'm happy it means very likely a WTC2 by 2020 I'm bummed too the classic Foster design appears out... can Bjark Ingles in his first supertall make a huge splash or will he lay a giant steel and glass egg? I feel for ya, V_G having to change that avatar... hopefully when we see Bjark's vision it will be more Foster and not the architectural weirdness of avant garde akin to the fashion of singer Bjork, lol!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:26 AM   #3726
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

This is now by far the most anticipated rendering in the city in my opinion, way ahead of Nordstrom (we pretty much know what it looks like anyway) or 125 Greenwich or anything else out there.

I might be in the minority here but I'm actually quite excited to see how it turns out. BIG has a tendency to go for futuristic, avant garde designs and this is exactly what the WTC needs. Although I think the WTC is a modern marvel, many people, me included have complained about how conservative the towers are, BIG might just be the right guy to spice things up.
The only thing that bothers me is the prospect of losing those diamonds, cause they would be iconic. Let's hope he manages to incorporate them in his design.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:32 AM   #3727
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
This is now by far the most anticipated rendering in the city in my opinion, way ahead of Nordstrom (we pretty much know what it looks like anyway) or 125 Greenwich or anything else out there.

I might be in the minority here but I'm actually quite excited to see how it turns out. BIG has a tendency to go for futuristic, avant garde designs and this is exactly what the WTC needs. Although I think the WTC is a modern marvel, many people, me included have complained about how conservative the towers are, BIG might just be the right guy to spice things up.
The only thing that bothers me is the prospect of losing those diamonds, cause they would be iconic. Let's hope he manages to incorporate them in his design.
Yea I agree, I was a bit upset at first but I'm really just more curious now than anything. It's sad that the old design won't ever see the light of day but I won't manage to bum myself out until I see the real thing.

I do hope it somehow reached 1362' though.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:34 AM   #3728
ryaboisse

Likes (Received): 91

Oh no........

ryaboisse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:48 AM   #3729
ryaboisse

Likes (Received): 91

Via The Sydney Morning Herald.....

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media...02-ghfg81.html
1.- "The building, to be designed by Bjarke Ingels Group, will house studios, newsrooms and employees from across Fox and News Corp.'s businesses, the media companies said in an e-mailed statement Tuesday. The tower will be at 200 Greenwich Street, also known as 2 World Trade Center, according to the statement."
2.-"Ingels is taking over the design of 2 World Trade from Norman Foster's London-based firm. Foster's design for the tower features four diamond-shaped quadrants that rise to a roof slanted toward the 9/11 memorial.

Ingels is working on a design that would be better suited for media companies such as Fox and News Corp., which would occupy the bottom 1.3 million square feet (121,000 square meters) of the 2.8 million-square-foot tower, said a person with knowledge of the situation, who asked not to be identified because the negotiations are private.

A voicemail left after regular business hours in London for Katy Harris, a spokeswoman for Foster, wasn't immediately returned.

News Corp. would move the Wall Street Journal and the New York Post, among other company operations, to the new site, said another person with knowledge of the plans. Corporate operations for both News Corp. and Fox, along with Fox News and some Fox cable and film operations, would also be relocated, the person said."
ryaboisse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:29 AM   #3730
Vertical_Gotham

For me, the Foster design is my favorite of all the current proposals and U/C's, so you have to understand my disappointment. It's been by far my most favorite of the towers at the WTC site like... Forever.

I'm married and crazy in love with it, so now I'm expected to have sudden divorce?? Shocking.

By nature, I'm a positive person and I will keep my head up and face the unknown which is always scary. Lol.

But hey, you never know... I could just end up liking whatever Bjark comes up with way better that just could make Fosters design fade way back in my memory like its 1999.

If it's gonna happen, Bjark is a very interesting and compelling choice & let's see what he comes up with.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:36 AM   #3731
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

My only worry is that it's a letter of intent, NOT a done deal. How long do you guys think before we know whether it is definite, not just likely or probable?
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:40 AM   #3732
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
My only worry is that it's a letter of intent, NOT a done deal. How long do you guys think before we know whether it is definite, not just likely or probable?
Wild guess, but perhaps by the end of the year.

I hate this... I love 2WTC as is.

ploppalopp, citybooster liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:46 AM   #3733
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Final design for 2WTC revealed:

Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:54 AM   #3734
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Ah, the ketchup and mustard building. That brings back memories.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 07:39 AM   #3735
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

I guess all we can do is hope for the best. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no major redesign!
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:04 AM   #3736
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
News Corp will not move there by 2020, so there's some time b4 work resumes & to have the tower deliverable by at least sometime late in 2019 or early 2020.

I definitely would expect well over a year b4 it moves from LOI to binding.

During the year starting from this point, Bjark will work to design according to Libeskin's master plan and work with News Corp closely to ensure their needs are satisfied, tenant fitouts for each entity plus the business of the meeting of the minds between Silverstein & News Corp with all the lease terms for the companies that News Corp will be bringing in which that alone can be a long and tedious process.

With all that effort and energy already being poured in by all the parties during this process, I have a hard time believing that News Corp will back out. Murdoch desperately wants to move all of his companies under one roof as he has done a couple of years ago in London so he can just ride up and down the elevator and breath down all of his bosses backs from each entity. Lol.

My prediction... it is my hope to see a design by Bjark by Spring, construction to resume by end of summer and news of a full commitment by Fall of next year.

citybooster liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; June 3rd, 2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:12 AM   #3737
Vertical_Gotham

More..

Fox, News Corp. Have Tentative Pact for Trade Center Move
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...d-trade-center

Quote:
News Corp. and 21st Century Fox Inc. reached a non-binding agreement with developer Larry Silverstein to move their headquarters to a new skyscraper to be built at lower Manhattan’s World Trade Center site.

The building, to be designed by Bjarke Ingels Group, will house studios, newsrooms and employees from across Fox and News Corp.’s businesses, the media companies said in an e-mailed statement Tuesday. The tower will be at 200 Greenwich Street, also known as 2 World Trade Center, according to the statement.

“A decision by 21st Century Fox and News Corp. to move to the new World Trade Center would cap a seismic shift that has taken place in Lower Manhattan over the past decade,” Silverstein said in a separate statement Tuesday. “This isn’t your grandfather’s Wall Street.”

The area south of Chambers Street is home to more than 800 technology, advertising, media and information companies, including publishers Time Inc., Conde Nast and HarperCollins. Landing News Corp. and Fox would help put a finishing touch on the rebuilding of the trade center site, almost 14 years after the terrorist attacks.

The two companies are still considering staying at their current headquarters in midtown Manhattan, they said Tuesday in an internal e-mail to employees. Renewing their leases, which expire in 2020, is the only alternative to moving to the new trade center tower, according to the e-mail.

Foster Out

Ingels is taking over the design of 2 World Trade from Norman Foster’s London-based firm. Foster’s design for the tower features four diamond-shaped quadrants that rise to a roof slanted toward the 9/11 memorial.

Ingels is working on a design that would be better suited for media companies such as Fox and News Corp., which would occupy the bottom 1.3 million square feet (121,000 square meters) of the 2.8 million-square-foot tower, said a person with knowledge of the situation, who asked not to be identified because the negotiations are private.

A voicemail left after regular business hours in London for Katy Harris, a spokeswoman for Foster, wasn’t immediately returned.

News Corp. would move the Wall Street Journal and the New York Post, among other company operations, to the new site, said another person with knowledge of the plans. Corporate operations for both News Corp. and Fox, along with Fox News and some Fox cable and film operations, would also be relocated, the person said.

Second-Tallest

The new tower would continue to be the second-tallest of the four planned for the 16-acre (6.5-hectare) site, after 1 World Trade, which opened last year. Three World Trade Center, designed by British architect Richard Rogers, is under construction, and advertising firm GroupM will be its anchor tenant.

Ingels is co-designing a 60-acre expansion of the Googleplex, Google Inc.’s Mountain View, California, headquarters, with four enormous glass canopies stretched over steel pillars. In New York, the Danish architect designed the Durst Organization’s mountain-shaped residential building near the Hudson River along West 57th Street, scheduled to open next year.

“We’re honored and deeply humbled that we can contribute to the transformation of downtown Manhattan, which will restore the skyline that frames the 9/11 memorial park, and finally complete the World Trade Center,” Daria Pahhota, an Ingels spokeswoman, said in a telephone interview. She declined to describe the redesign the firm is working on.

While a fourth tower would complete the ensemble envisioned by architect Daniel Libeskind when he laid out the World Trade Center master plan in the early 2000s, it may also complicate Manhattan’s office market by adding unrented space. The completed 1 and 4 World Trade have almost 2 million square feet not yet spoken for, while 3 World Trade is being built with about 2 million square feet still unleased.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:22 AM   #3738
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Final design for 2WTC revealed:

And this year's Pritzker Prize goes to...

ChuckScraperMiami#1, onewtclover liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:27 PM   #3739
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

The letter of intent is great news. It is one small step for a man, one giant leap for getting this finished by 2021.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:45 PM   #3740
PABLOEING

Likes (Received): 28

Foster's 2 WTC is the most amazing building in the new WTC.......very dissapointment
PABLOEING no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center