daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:15 PM   #3741
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

Hudson Yard and WTC, why do you always redesign me favorite towers?!
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:24 PM   #3742
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 892

Seriously if News Corp spits in the face of symbolism and reflection by taking away the beautiful Foster design I will be seriously pissed off. If BIG wants an iconic first skyscraper build it somewhere else, but this spot is reserved for the tribute to September 11th that is Foster's design.

karimbo, onewtclover liked this post

Last edited by tinyslam; June 3rd, 2015 at 04:39 PM.
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:54 PM   #3743
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

I agree, there should be no room for experiments here. This is the WTC site, and Foster's design was chosen very carefully, because it's beautiful, classy and timeless.
BIG is new to the supertall game and should build somewhere else!
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:21 PM   #3744
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

I'm sorry but I don't get the criticism for BIG here, if anybody should be criticized that would be Newscorp. They already had an iconic design to work with, top 3 in the city in my book along with TV and Steinway, I don't understand why they couldn't get Foster to come up with the changes they needed. I really hope we get an answer to that at some point. Is it a matter of Newscorp wanting to distinguish itself or did BIG show them something they absolutely wanted built....? I really wanna know.
As far as BIG, he's the one reason why I'm excited to see how the tower turns out, had they chosen any other architect I would've been up in arms but I am beyond anxious to see what he will come up with in designing a major tower in the city.

iamtheSTIG, streetscapeer liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:56 PM   #3745
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Seriously if News Corp spits in the face of symbolism and reflection by taking away the beautiful Foster design I will be seriously pissed off. If BIG wants an iconic first skyscraper build it somewhere else, but this spot is reserved for the tribute to September 11th that is Foster's design.
I also want Foster's design to be realized, but neither 2WTC nor any of the other towers have an obligation to memorialize 9/11. People seem to forget that the 9/11 memorial is a part of the WTC, not the other way around.
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 07:05 PM   #3746
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
I also want Foster's design to be realized, but neither 2WTC nor any of the other towers have an obligation to memorialize 9/11. People seem to forget that the 9/11 memorial is a part of the WTC, not the other way around.
I'm sorry I just don't agree with that. In my opinion the whole site is a memorial to a tragedy and a celebration of moving upward and onward.

karimbo, onewtclover, NatFan9 liked this post
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 07:46 PM   #3747
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

I hope nothing gets touched with the diamonds but it wouldn't be terrible if they maybe raised the height a tad to make the spire antenna thing reach 1,362 ft like the original South Tower.
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:03 PM   #3748
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best with this one. Seriously disappointed they got rid of Foster's design.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:43 PM   #3749
JOHaarup

Likes (Received): 68

For me the Foster design gives mixed signals. Towards the memorial it looks like a modern church. From the other side - a beheaded building - mangastyle. Not the signal you want after 9/11.

Fingers crossed for Bjarke.
JOHaarup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:50 PM   #3750
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Too bad.

Let's hope Uncle Scrooge has realized he won't live forever and has decided to splash out big time for a supertall tombstone that will keep the world in loving memory of him after he is gone.

But he should have done that somewhere else...
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:04 PM   #3751
hateman

Likes (Received): 1797

Glad they got rid of Foster. The design was a derivative mish mash of the Smurfitt Stone in Chicago. But with Ingels, it's out of the frying pan into the fire. We'll see what he comes up with. Hopefully not a deconstructed mess.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:13 PM   #3752
victor del rey

Likes (Received): 387

Ok i didn't read this page for a long so the Norman's design was deleted ? Which business bought the place? If anyone can answer me ill be very thankful.
victor del rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:11 PM   #3753
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Foster's design is in contention as Newscorp is leasing the tower from Silverstein, and as part of the deal to lease the space Fox wanted to bring on board their own Architect to help shape the tower to their needs. This architect is Bjarke Ingles of BIG, who will design the tower in a way that will be geared towards Media Production as opposed to banking as Foster's tower was. On that note Bjarke still has to work within the structural framework of Foster's design as the foundations for that tower are already built and it is untenable and practically impossible to build a new foundation. Also Bjarke is constrained within Daniel Libeskind's master plan requirements. And since Foster's design was so popular a lot of people are upset, also scared because Rupert Murdoch is Bjarke's employer, also anxious because no one has any idea what Bjarke will do. Now that being said I would have loved for SHoP to be the architectural firm designing this tower.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:29 PM   #3754
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28160

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best with this one. Seriously disappointed they got rid of Foster's design.
I agree. Perhaps it's also because we got used to the Foster design and now we'll have to see if this new design will fit in the cluster.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:40 PM   #3755
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Bjark Ingels' pyramid has turned out to be a monstrosity. Whatever the new design is, it better use the highest quality cladding.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, spectre000 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:19 PM   #3756
mjmoney23

Likes (Received): 25

This tower should have been built first or 2nd as it is regarded as the best of the complex by many. Why did they build that utterly boring 4wtc first? This is what happens when too much time goes by. I can't say I'm surprised by this change at all.

ILOVENY liked this post
mjmoney23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:39 PM   #3757
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22510

because Silverstein could only afford to build 4 WTC. It was an economical decision and it was the right decision. All 4 towers were being built simultaneously but they couldn't get the money they needed to continue Towers 2 and 3 alongside with 1 and 4.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #3758
victor del rey

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
because Silverstein could only afford to build 4 WTC. It was an economical decision and it was the right decision. All 4 towers were being built simultaneously but they couldn't get the money they needed to continue Towers 2 and 3 alongside with 1 and 4.
Thank you a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Foster's design is in contention as Newscorp is leasing the tower from Silverstein, and as part of the deal to lease the space Fox wanted to bring on board their own Architect to help shape the tower to their needs. This architect is Bjarke Ingles of BIG, who will design the tower in a way that will be geared towards Media Production as opposed to banking as Foster's tower was. On that note Bjarke still has to work within the structural framework of Foster's design as the foundations for that tower are already built and it is untenable and practically impossible to build a new foundation. Also Bjarke is constrained within Daniel Libeskind's master plan requirements. And since Foster's design was so popular a lot of people are upset, also scared because Rupert Murdoch is Bjarke's employer, also anxious because no one has any idea what Bjarke will do. Now that being said I would have loved for SHoP to be the architectural firm designing this tower.
To you too
victor del rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #3759
mjmoney23

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

Was that one the cheapest?
mjmoney23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #3760
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22510

obviously, yes.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center