daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #3781
ebrown89

Likes (Received): 28

I agree with a lot of what has been said here. 2WTC, as Foster originally designed, was arguably the most symbolic of all the towers. I loved all the neat little design features that paid tribute to the memorial without wallowing in grief. The diamonds would cast sunlight down on the reflecting pools and, reportedly, the tower was designed so it would cast no shadow on the memorial on September 11 every year (very cool, if true).

Overall, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, News Corp and Fox are two serious whales. The idea of having them at the WTC is really cool and it would be awesome to finally get 2WTC off the ground. But on the other hand, we lose Foster's design, which had so much cool factor.

Ingels has a history of working with media groups and Fox trust him to design a space that would ideally fit their needs. I get it, and I think allowing them to design their own space exactly as they want it increases the likelihood of them not only coming, but staying for a substantial period of time. I just hope that Ingels checks his ego and respects the space. One thing's for sure, it won't be boring. Ingels doesn't do boring. He likes to make a statement. But here, arguably more than anywhere else, it has to be the right statement. We'll see, but from everything I'm reading, it sure looks like this is going to happen, one way or another.

onewtclover liked this post
ebrown89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #3782
BrMstrBrw

Likes (Received): 463

I am pretty excited to see the reveal. While I loved Foster's kissing towers proposal, a design so good I'd travel across the pond just to see it. I'm not so big on 1WTC as it is, and 2WTC as proposed. They are a bit too outdated imo, in their somewhat conservative shapes and use of glass and steel.

I can't imagine BIG bring brought in to only do minor redecoration of another architect's work.
Bjarke must have had a design brewing for a supertall for a long time. And I guess if Murdoch is to put so much money into this area they want something that stands out from the existing buildings, and BIG must have showed them something compelling enough to go for the redesign.
BrMstrBrw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #3783
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

I loved Foster's kissing towers too, to me that was a really cool, innovative design that held the gaze & also paid tribute to the past sort of. The WTC we have is nice but does feel kind of 1980s.

I agree I highly doubt that the new architects will simply tweak Foster's design for 2wtc. I think Bjarke will probably want to create his own vision for the building (within whatever existing foundation requirements & functional needs are).

I'm betting that BIG will design a totally new building from Foster's decade-old 2wtc design. They will want to make it their own.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #3784
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

They can't totally redesign it. The foundations can only allow a diamond-ish shape to be used.

WSB, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #3785
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
They can't totally redesign it. The foundations can only allow a diamond-ish shape to be used.
That's not really true. Certainly the existing foundation would dictate what can be built on top of it but it really only dictates the maximum weight of the tower. The existing foundation area could be spanned with structural members to spread out the weight-bearing areas to accommodate almost any tower being built on top of it. Obviously, the maximum dimensions are also somewhat limited but other than that a lot of changes could be made on top of the existing foundation. Hopefully they won't be but....
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #3786
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

When I read the statement below, what I got out of it, was that they are not redesigning the entirety of the tower but merely redesigning the bottom square feet where Fox and News Corp are. So perhaps this means they have simply called in an architect to redesign the bottom of the tower which was apparently an issue due to the entertainment services required? Just a though haha.

Ingels is working on a design that would be better suited for media companies such as Fox and News Corp., which would occupy the bottom 1.3 million square feet (121,000 square meters) of the 2.8 million-square-foot tower, said a person with knowledge of the situation, who asked not to be identified because the negotiations are private.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #3787
marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
That's not really true. Certainly the existing foundation would dictate what can be built on top of it but it really only dictates the maximum weight of the tower. The existing foundation area could be spanned with structural members to spread out the weight-bearing areas to accommodate almost any tower being built on top of it. Obviously, the maximum dimensions are also somewhat limited but other than that a lot of changes could be made on top of the existing foundation. Hopefully they won't be but....
Yea I just find it hard to believe that a new architect would be asked to redesign this building but then only do part of it or be so rigidly constrained. What I was thinking was maybe BIG will keep within the weight requirements for the existing foundation but alter the top part with like some type of tapered structural spire so as to not place any more load on the foundation but also push the envelope design-wise & height-wise. I just highly doubt that they're bringing this new architect in to simply tweak Foster's design. That would be weird.
Old June 6th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #3788
marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informative View Post
When I read the statement below, what I got out of it, was that they are not redesigning the entirety of the tower but merely redesigning the bottom square feet where Fox and News Corp are. So perhaps this means they have simply called in an architect to redesign the bottom of the tower which was apparently an issue due to the entertainment services required? Just a though haha.

Ingels is working on a design that would be better suited for media companies such as Fox and News Corp., which would occupy the bottom 1.3 million square feet (121,000 square meters) of the 2.8 million-square-foot tower, said a person with knowledge of the situation, who asked not to be identified because the negotiations are private.

At this point anything is possible because they changed the spire on 1wtc totally from the original design, so nothing will shock me with 2wtc. Maybe you're right & Ingels/BIG will be redesigning the bottom part of the tower to better suit the media tenants' requirements, & leave the top alone, but I just find that hard to believe that an architect given such an opportunity as 2wtc would only change half of a tower & not the other half. If I were an architect & they told me design half but leave the other half I wouldn't accept that job. I'd want to make the whole structure my own.
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:47 AM   #3789
Anday

Likes (Received): 1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
At this point anything is possible because they changed the spire on 1wtc totally from the original design
What was the original design for 1wtc? Never seen it.
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:20 AM   #3790
marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anday View Post

Well don't want to get off topic but I was referring the numerous changes they made to 1wtc from Liebeskind's design (I'm glad they changed a lot of it btw) but what I was mainly referring to was when they removed the radome from the spire due to concerns over the radome not tolerating the winds at that great height. That change did make quite a bit of difference in the tower's appearance. I guess we shall see what BIG comes up with for 2wtc I'm quite curious to see what they'll do.
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #3791
ebrown89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anday View Post
The spire was originally supposed to be encased in a radome. That was eventually scrapped, leaving a bare antenna. This created controversy with its bid to be the tallest building in the US and Western Hemisphere because antenna's aren't counted. Essentially what saved it was the light beam at the top that was considered integral to the tower's design.
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #3792
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

The only building on the site that seems to have avoided changes, is 4 WTC.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #3793
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Yea I just find it hard to believe that a new architect would be asked to redesign this building but then only do part of it or be so rigidly constrained. What I was thinking was maybe BIG will keep within the weight requirements for the existing foundation but alter the top part with like some type of tapered structural spire so as to not place any more load on the foundation but also push the envelope design-wise & height-wise. I just highly doubt that they're bringing this new architect in to simply tweak Foster's design. That would be weird.
That is true... I did think that as well... I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #3794
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

^ Completely Agree, I liked Fosters design. Quite frankly that was the my favorite in the project. BIG better do a good job.

DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #3795
ebrown89

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Yeah I'm still confused about what 3WTC's final height is going to be. I've heard about three different numbers.
Old June 6th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #3796
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

The curtain wall of 4WTC was designed to be matte silver. Silverstein opted for reflective glass.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #3797
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

4 wtc also received a slight height bump.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #3798
ebrown89

It's just the nature of the business. Something always changes, you just hope it's for the better.
Old June 7th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #3799
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
It got a height increase

ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #3800
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It got a height increase
....... Minimal change compared with 1 and 3 WTC, may have to add 2 WTC.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center