daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #4041
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

It looks like precariously-stacked blocks that are going to fall over from some angles. Kind of unnerving given what's happened there already. I highly doubt this as shown in the renderings will ever be approved when all is said & done.

Prince Valium, chestersim, HRP4Life liked this post
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #4042
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

One can only hope. I've never been less interested in a 400+ meter building in my life.

hunser liked this post
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:17 AM   #4043
sylar82

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Don't tell people not to whine and bitch while you yourself whine and bitch.
This is the only time I have ever voiced my opinion unlike some of you who make it a thing to bitch constantly on both sites for every building. There is a hell of a big difference between saying something once in 5 years than doing it constantly on multiple forums for pages and pages and pages over and over and over again.
sylar82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:17 AM   #4044
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10273

2WTC was the saving grace for this complex. First 1WTC is a dud. Then they remove the spire from 3. And now Fox and Friends (Ingels and Silverstein) kill off the project with another alteration. Add in the new Vinoly building and Lower Manhattan will truly have the world's largest concentration of disappointing supertalls. I'll stick to pics of Midtown. Lower Manhattan's skyline gets worse by the day.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #4045
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10273

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylar82 View Post
This is the only time I have ever voiced my opinion unlike some of you who make it a thing to bitch constantly on both sites for every building. There is a difference between saying it once and doing it constantly on every forum for every building.
Now you've said it twice. You must be Bjarke or his mother to like this hot mess of a design. Ingels: keep your froo-froo 'visionary' Eurotrash modernism in the vomit alleys of Rotterdam and Frankfurt where they belong. We have higher standards for New York!

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #4046
sylar82

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Now you've said it twice. You must be Bjarke or his mother to like this hot mess of a design. Ingels: keep your froo-froo 'visionary' Eurotrash modernism in the vomit alleys of Rotterdam and Frankfurt where they belong. We have higher standards for New York!
I didn't say I liked it you obviously didn't read what I said. I said it won't do any good to bitch about it. I love NYC and want the best for it but hey call up Fox and Silverstein I am sure they care what you think. Let me know how it goes. Done arguing with you idiots. Hopefully this site can get back on track talking about the construction process and milestones like it's here for.
sylar82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #4047
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Let Murdoch and Silverstein know how bad it is.... James Murdoch, his son is the "brains" behind doing something like this and hopefully Fox gets even more bad publicity from this, enough to force a change from this "conceptual design". He hates traditional looking towers... lol Hudson Yards had a more streamlined version of this (if you can call that blocky setbacked tower concept "streamlined" in any way... it was less gonzo than this Ingles effort though. Place to try this would be there... go inspiring and if not exactly traditional, glorious and eloquent. If this is what goes up, hell we got used to the Twin Towers, we can get used to this. But I don't want us to have to settle..I would hope we could get "inspired" here especially when a couple of the big projects downtown like Vinoly/Shvo and Murray Street and Nassau Street get downsized. Where are the bold visionaries, why are we getting conservative and pragmatic instead of soaring, defiant and proud!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #4048
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
hell we got used to the Twin Towers, we can get used to this
Please don't compare the twin towers to this. They were some of the greatest skyscrapers the world has ever seen, while this one looks like a background building in Shenzhen.

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #4049
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

This is horrible. I'm actually seriously offended by this as a New Yorker. I'm lucky to have been able to visit the twins countles times, and I had a lot of hope for this master plan after accepting they weren't rebuilding the twins. Now I completely go back to what I thought in the first place and is that they should have been rebuilt with a proper memorial. This would have all been done years ago and for a quarter of the price and heart ache. I hope this "concept" changes because this is a f**king disgrace.
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #4050
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

Old June 10th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #4051
Yackemflaber68

Likes (Received): 180

http://memeinternet.blogspot.com/2015/01/turrible-just-turrible-turrible.html

tumbleweed_tx liked this post
Yackemflaber68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #4052
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

OK! SO... Curbed seems to like it, Gothamist Seems to like, it YIMBY has given this a positive revue? If the Times agrees I quit show business. Gone are the day when Architecture Critics wrote there opinions. If only Mrs. Ada Louise Huxtable was still with us.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #4053
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

@ Scott Melcher

Note:
125 Greenwich is there.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #4054
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22528

those cantilevers have to go for me to accept this design.
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #4055
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
OK! SO... Curbed seems to like it, Gothamist Seems to like, it YIMBY has given this a positive revue? If the Times agrees I quit show business. Gone are the day when Architecture Critics wrote there opinions. If only Mrs. Ada Louise Huxtable was still with us.
If you want to read some serious architecture critic, go for Paul Goldberger.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #4056
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Has he weighed in yet?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:08 AM   #4057
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

@ Scott Melcher

Note:
125 Greenwich is there.
You can actually see a 3D-printed version of the hub from a poor sketchup model available at 3D Wharehouse.
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #4058
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Has he weighed in yet?
yep

How 2 World Trade Center Was Redesigned Exactly for Rupert Murdoch’s Media Empire

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...-bjarke-ingels

Quote:
The news that Rupert Murdoch’s media companies, 21st Century Fox and News Corp., have agreed to move to the World Trade Center downtown if Norman Foster’s design for the tower they would occupy, 2 World Trade Center, were abandoned in favor of a very different one by the Danish architect Bjarke Ingels seems, at first, like a case of a distinguished older architect being pushed aside by a young upstart. Foster, after all, just marked his 80th birthday. Ingels turned 40 last October.

But this change signifies more than Oedipal rumblings in the architectural world. It may say even more about the world of media, and not just Murdoch’s media. The announcement wasn’t made in a newspaper, or in the architectural press, or in some real estate journal. It was announced via an online posting in Wired, the technology magazine, that included a slickly produced video in which the telegenic Ingels, the founder of the firm BIG, presented his design for the building while walking around Tribeca and Ground Zero as a virtual image of his new tower rose behind him, populated by a racially diverse group of smiling workers, all to the music of Tchaikovsky.

Once, Norman Foster’s firm was able to knock competitors out of the picture with its famously dazzling models and well-crafted, hardcover presentation books. Now, new media, captained by an architect who can be found on Instagram and Twitter as much as anywhere, appears to have squeezed Foster out. As anyone who plays computer games knows, you can now create moving images that look as real as any photographs. Who could fail to be seduced by a tour through a magical glass tower that features women lounging amid lavishly planted roof decks, happy workers playing in a basketball court in the sky, and a window cleaner who smiles and bows before a roomful of delighted occupants of the tower? This building is presented less as a design than as the star of a short little movie, populated by cheerful supporting characters: it hasn’t yet been built, but it already has a narrative. Here is where the employees of Fox News and Dow Jones, the Murdoch divisions that will be the primary occupants of the tower, will live happily ever after as they move media into the new age.

The Murdoch enterprises are certainly going to the right place. Condé Nast (which owns Vanity Fair) has been in 1 World Trade Center since last fall, and Time Inc. is moving to Brookfield Place, just across West Street, later this year. As financial firms have migrated uptown, media companies have been seduced by the lower costs of relocating downtown, and the two industries have, for all intents and purposes, changed places. The World Trade Center area has become as unlikely a media power center as Times Square was a generation ago. That change, ostensibly, is the reason that Foster’s much-admired design was scrapped: his tower, far and away the finest of the four towers designed to replace the destroyed twin towers of the original World Trade Center, reportedly did not accommodate well to the layouts sought by Fox and News Corp., which need large broadcast studios and newsrooms. And James Murdoch, the chief operating officer of 21st Century Fox who oversaw the search for new space, was said not to have wanted to see the company housed in something that resembled a conventional tower.

The Foster building, which culminated in four slanted, diamond-shaped forms against the sky, would have been much better than conventional, and it had the best skyline profile of any of the new towers. The new design by BIG is flat-topped, and from some directions it may look more like a conventional glass skyscraper than some people would expect, especially given BIG’s propensity for unusually-shaped buildings, like the pyramidal apartment house going up at the far west end of 57th Street. But Bjarke Ingels would no more design a truly conventional tower than he would do a Georgian house, and when you get beyond the pretentious hype of the video presentation (in which the architect says things like “where horizontal meets vertical, diversity becomes unity&rdquo, it turns out to be one of the more provocative and notable towers of the last generation, largely because Ingels has managed to take the space requirements of Fox and News Corp., and make real architecture out of them.

That is no small thing. Most skyscrapers these days are shapes first, and usable office or residential space second. Ingels started out not with some notion of an iconic shape that would stick in our minds, but by translating the company’s space needs into a series of boxes of different floor sizes. The boxes get smaller as the building rises, but also wider, and Ingels stacked them so that on the north side each box projects out a little farther than the one below, while on the east side the boxes step back in the manner of a classic 1920s office building, with large roof terraces on each setback. The in-and-out stuff is restricted to these two sides. The south and west sides, which face the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, rise straight up, addressing the memorial with more dignity and quiet, and helping to enclose the space around it.

The building overall is a lively composition, but quieter than you would expect from Ingels (who, with English architect Thomas Heatherwick, is designing Google’s new headquarters) and more responsive to what is around it. There are some handsome details, like the way the mullions on the glass are slanted to create a horizontal effect on the north and east and a vertical effect on the south and west. But the main achievement is in the clever way all these boxes are stacked. It’s a bit like a gargantuan version of the New Museum on the Bowery, but with more finesse. It may even be elegant. And what a radical idea: to produce an architecturally ambitious skyscraper whose shape actually expresses the needs of the building’s tenant.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #4059
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Has he weighed in yet?
Yes!
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #4060
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 2979

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post

WHAT THE F***

prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center