daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #4061
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

And he likes it? That's it I'm done!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #4062
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22528

Goldberger did a review in Vanity Fair. http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...-bjarke-ingels

tl;dr, he said it's its a clever design.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #4063
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
while on the east side the boxes step back in the manner of a classic 1920s office building
Are you kidding me?

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #4064
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

IMO, the East side is fine, The *north side with the boxes jutting out is abhorrent. And that base is awful. #internetarchitecturecritic

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #4065
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

It is it's a good Tower just not for WTC, they pissed on the rug and it's a damn shame because it really tied the room together. Also in a sense it's history repeating itself the port authority went with Yamasaki as the architect because they didn't want to do battle with an established and respected architect. They wanted someone they could lean on to get their way, and the main difference between Yamasaki and Ingles is that Yamasaki's design had very nice ornamental touches to it. I feel As if the tower was turned 180 degrees, lacked the cantilevers, and has some sort of spite ornamentation. Also good architecture stands on its own it doesn't need to be sold.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #4066
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylar82 View Post
The redesign is far less sad and pathetic than coming to this forum everyday hoping for new construction updates and instead spending half my time reading posts from people pissing and moaning. Some of you will never be happy. Every new building that comes up there is a group of you that feel the need to do nothing but throw in your negative two cents as if the owners and designers or anyone really cares at all what any of us think. This new design has not even been out 24 hours and there must be 20 pages between here and skyscraperpage of people doing nothing but bitching.

And now a petition? Really? LOL. Grow up. I signed a petition with 350,000 other people to get treason charges against the 47 republicans who signed that letter and sent it to Iran. You know where that went? Nowhere. But I am sure one filled with 30 pissy skyscraper fanatics will get their attention. This is a multi billion dollar deal between powerful companies I'm sure a small group of people who have absolutely nothing to do with the site is something they are worried about.

I am disappointed the diamonds are gone but I think we all knew it was going to happen. This tower looks good from the memorial looking out but odd from the north looking south. I have read every single article I could get my hands on about this new tower and while from some angles it may be a bit odd I think it will obviously work much better for Fox than Fosters. Maybe one day we can get Foster's built in another part of the city but either way it is what it is. You guys have been pissing moaning about how this site will never be finished and now that we have a real shot at it actually getting done you are finding something else to bitch about. Some of you would rather have it torn out and left an empty corner? LOL. Pathetic.

I have been visiting this site and skyscraper page every day for 5 years like clockwork following the progress of this site and many others around the world and for once it would be nice to not have to read through pages and pages of whiny and bitchy people putting their opinion out about the design of these towers when really no one cares.

Sorry I had to get that off my chest but now that I have lets go back to talking about the actual construction and when it will resume and leave the petty pointless bitching behind us. I hope it restarts really soon even though it looks like they may have to tear up at least some of the foundation. The shape is close but it doesn't really match.
I very rarely post on this thread but I have to answer this, ye with only 16 posts. Plain and simple, it's a horrible design. I wouldn't want this thing in Baltimore, where our tallest is only 529 feet, let alone at one of the most important sites in the country. It might work in, say, Shanghai, but not here.

micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #4067
ThatOneGuy

Lol @ the trees. Yeah right..
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #4068
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 819

Very disappointed to see this. The new design is a little bit like the two towers in Moscow which look like stacked boxes, but not as good. I don't like how they are all edging over in the one direction, it looks unstable like it could topple over.

Hudson11 liked this post
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:42 AM   #4069
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

City of Capitals is much better for their location and their aesthetics. They pull off the 'stacked boxes' look perfectly

Old June 10th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #4070
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

I don t love new design.

Last edited by enrigue8; June 10th, 2015 at 09:14 AM.
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #4071
enrigue8
BANNED

New design is ridiculous and disgusting .
The old one was 100000 time better.
it will ruin new york skyline.
Just don t build that.

Old June 10th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #4072
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

When someone like Paul Goldberger has fairly positive thoughts about it,a nd Yimby and Curbed and some of the other sites are not bitching either about it... just interesting to me those who would spit venom who's we'd expect just don't think it's the nightmare that most of us seem to think. Are they wrong, are we or maybe should we see if there will be some changes to the concept that might help calm the masses down. Goodness only thought NIMBYs could get so over the top!

Did I like it when I first saw it? Not at all... I was shocked something came out so son and was stacked like that... I feared Ingles would possibly give scary angles, not blocks on steroids, lol! I see some of what those who haven't dismissed it are saying... I really wish there were another design possible but it might be ten years from now people will think it's a classic and wonder why everyone was getting the vapors on some skyscraper sites, lol!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #4073
Radio Raheem
Fight the power!

Likes (Received): 149

Few weeks ago --> the best in the whole complex
Now --> I hope it'll be on hold forever.

This should be considered a crime.

NatFan9, HRP4Life liked this post
Radio Raheem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #4074
ThatOneGuy

Honestly. I would rather nothing be built than for this to forever ruin the WTC.
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:33 AM   #4075
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

This cant be real. Its so underwhelming overall in comparison to the original proposal, and from some angles it's just plain awful. From some angles I could get used to it, but the overhanging sections, I may never forgive BIG for that. The original was set to be an icon. This one, not so much. Its a good thing I didn't check this thread until the end of the day because my day is ruined.

Last edited by NatFan9; June 10th, 2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Maybe my original comment was a bit too overdramatic.
NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:46 AM   #4076
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

It gives a whole new meaning to "block-headed design." Just get rid of the cantilevers and bump it up 22 feet, and then we'll talk about forgiveness.
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #4077
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 819

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a lot shorter, but at 411 meters it will be too conspicuous.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #4078
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Are most of the posters here just getting a little too dramatic? If it gets built, it gets built and I'll adapt. I was mad before but didn't Paul Goldberger have credibility here with a lot of people.. Curbed and YIMBY and others are so off the mark for having positive things to say about it?

Do I want changes here... do I want Ingles to fine tune this concept some? Absolutely. But I'm not gonna cry and scream like a namby pamby NIMBY screeching that their sensibilities have been violated.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #4079
enrigue8
BANNED

If it like that, just don t build it.
It will destroy NYC skyline forever
so bad

Old June 10th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #4080
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

This new design it utterly dreadful... it does not fit in at all and seems to large and bombastic at such a centre point... I hope this does not get built.
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center