daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #4101
bugstone

Likes (Received): 12

The building itself is simply dumb looking. However, what is even worse is the way it totally destroys the the beauty and elegance of the entire WTC and lower Manhattan. It is a crime.

germantower liked this post
bugstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #4102
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

I couldnīt agree more, this design tells a lot about Bjarge himself. I assume he likes to get attention , while the work of a good architect should be to design something that blends in, rather then sticking out like a sore thumb.
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #4103
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

Shvo tower anyone?

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #4104
hateman

Likes (Received): 1796

Even though the design is a disappointment, I just can't get as upset about the Freedom Fry as other people. The WTC just isn't as big a deal anymore compared to what's going on on 57th street or Hudson Yards.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #4105
ivn98

Likes (Received): 1350

It doesnt look that bad,but am I the only one who think it will be better if they built a twin of 1WTC ?

k25150, Doubleu1117, chestersim, HRP4Life liked this post
ivn98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #4106
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

and then theres 125 greenwich... ugh. -_-
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #4107
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

I'm calling it. This is New York's biggest architectural catastrophe since Penn Station.

Done giving a shit about this complex.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #4108
JCRM2

Likes (Received): 8

The WTC complex is just a mess of changes every minute. Ist 1WTC gets a naked spire and box frame bottom, 3 wtc is shorten, now tower 2, the most beautiful building out of all 4 gets a total redesign. Their excuse... so that it merges with Tribeca easily. B.S! Isn't that the reason y they reopen Greenwich street. The diamonds roof top and the transit hub was and is Tribeca. Its spells out Art and media. The future perfoming arts center will be the hub of the WTC and Tribeca coming together. This new 2 WTC looks like it suppose to be part of the Hudson yards. It doesn't even flow with the site now. If anything to me their mocking how 2wtc twin callapsed when the top tipped over as it fell straight down with those over rated set backs.

Pohtija, NatFan9 liked this post

Last edited by JCRM2; June 10th, 2015 at 02:57 PM.
JCRM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #4109
hateman

Likes (Received): 1796

125 Greenwich is an even worse offender. It throws off the WTC complex completely, and as a supertall condo tower it should at least try to have some visual panache, some awareness of its context.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

ebrown89 liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #4110
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

I'm more upset about 125 greenwich than I am about 2WTC honestly lol. The new design for 2WTC doesn't look that bad from certain angles.
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #4111
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

I think it looks fine now that i have seen it so much. It probably fits in begter with the boxy design than the Foster design would have.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #4112
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 846

This must be some april fools joke ! It's a joke. Tell me it's a joke !?
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #4113
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |Ķ┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
125 Greenwich is an even worse offender. It throws off the WTC complex completely, and as a supertall condo tower it should at least try to have some visual panache, some awareness of its context.
With BIG's design, nothing can throw off the WTC anymore. Tbh, 125G could be 1,500' for all I care ... the WTC site is done anyway, aesthetically speaking.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #4114
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
the old Tower 2 design was way better and would fit way better in the WTC Complex.
The old design of WTC2 was a masterpiece, but it did not fit the WTC either imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
The only thing fine about this design is the height
Yes... because nothing go better hand in hand with a horrible design than a huge size.

Actually if this tower would only be built to 700-800ft would be MUCH better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Please don't compare the twin towers to this. They were some of the greatest skyscrapers the world has ever seen, while this one looks like a background building in Shenzhen.
Where did you see such ugly buildings in Shenzhen. ? Is actually one of the cities with the most conservative architecture in China, with few "original Chinese architecture" skyscrapers.

Would not be cheaper (not waste more money for new design) just to make another WTC1 ?

Old June 10th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #4115
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
What do you like about the design?
It has all the elements of 4WTC that I adore. Clean edges, smooth, large surfaces. And it compliments its surroundings better.

In fact, one could argue that while the new design is certainly worse overall than Foster's original, it is more in-sync with the rest of the new WTC site.

The steps on the back are a nice buttress to the knife edge at the front. It looks better from all angles than the original, which played weird tricks with perspective due to the diamond crown. It creates a more complete skyline y not standing out as much. It feels a part of the complex, rather than a standalone project.

Also, I really didn't like how the original paid dues to the memorial. It felt mawkish to constantly draw attention to it with the crown, so I'm glad that element has gone.

What the new WTC does well, and better than any other cluster in the world, is clean, crisp, smooth modernism. It's shards of glass emerging from a pile of bricks. It is the future above the history and grandeur of lower Manhattan.

This new design is also more of a twin to 1WTC. It shares elements and stands alongside it. Lower than the original, but more impressive because of the geometric shapes.

At worst, I think it's a step sideways. I loved the original design, but always felt it was too unique for the complex. This newer one, while less of an innovation, is certainly more complimentary.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #4116
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 846

Yeah I like it... Just as much as this design ! Future New York... Here we come !

Manitopiaaa liked this post
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #4117
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivn98 View Post
It doesnt look that bad,but am I the only one who think it will be better if they built a twin of 1WTC ?
Exactly. At this point just build a twin for One. Terrible redesign.
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #4118
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1813

I think the forums reaction about the design change is a bit exaggerated, maybe because we are too used to the old design and we know what could have been. I showed the new renders to some people who don't really know much about skyscrapers and didn't know the design for the old 2WTC and they didn't think that the tower is such a catastrophe, in fact some of them even thought that it looks cool. Surely the old design was better but this is ok too and won't "destroy" the whole downtown skyline, at least in my opinion. Maybe we just have to wait a few days until we will get used to it too.
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #4119
lsg97

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xing lin View Post
This design is the modernism equivalent of a commieblock. It's painfully generic.
Quick, go tell that to FOX!!!
As we all know they hate anything that's left of the political center so telling them their broadcasting office is in a Commie style building might make them return to Foster's design

Otherwise f*ck them, they never cease to give sane minded people reasons to hate them.

Last edited by lsg97; June 10th, 2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: there - their
lsg97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #4120
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5437

Whilst it's not as elegant as the old design, it is more iconic, from some angles it gives a 'twin towers' visual effect, which is quite clever.

I think in time New Yorkers will grow to love it, it's definitely a hate it or love it design. The old design was nice and elegant but pretty forgettable. Ain't nobody going to forget this one.

At least it ain't boring!

Last edited by Locke; June 10th, 2015 at 04:15 PM.
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center