daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #4121
Renton12

Likes (Received): 6

Its terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
Exactly. At this point just build a twin for One. Terrible redesign.
My favorite design of the site has now gone to the worse. Worse angles for this new design are from far away renderings. I agree with you, Just build another 1 WTC and that would make everybody happy.
Renton12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #4122
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Whilst it's not as elegant as the old design, it is more iconic, from some angles it gives a 'twin towers' visual effect, which is quite clever.

I think in time New Yorkers will grow to love it, it's definitely a hate it or love it design. The old design was nice and elegant but pretty forgettable. Ain't nobody going to forget this one.

At least it ain't boring!
Isn't boring ? Hasn't there been a dozen of examples of this design already been built somewhere else ? Talking about forgetfulness...

Compared to the beautiful previous design... Yeah it's boring and bland... It doesn't sell New York to anyone... I thought they were going for a tourist magnet... Obviously not.

Well there is one who is sold... (Why do we build supposedly iconic buildings that needs to be "grown" to liking ?)

Last edited by Pohtija; June 10th, 2015 at 04:30 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #4123
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
Isn't boring ? Hasn't there been dozens of examples of this design already been built somewhere else ? Talking about forgetfulness...
It's not boring, it's polarising and ultimately that works to it's benefit. Foster's design was nice but boring, this really sticks out in the context of the skyline, so it is less boring.

You'll grow to love it, just like everyone grew to love the old WTC's.
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #4124
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

They should have made Jean Nouvel redesign tower 2 insteaad of Bjarge. bleh.
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #4125
xing lin
I ♥ HK

Likes (Received): 614

The problem with this design is that there is no defining quality. The old design had the diamonds, 3WTC has the external bracing, and the Twin Towers had the lobby tridents. This building is just a box.
xing lin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #4126
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5439

Quote:
Originally Posted by xing lin View Post
The problem with this design is that there is no defining quality. The old design had the diamonds, 3WTC has the external bracing, and the Twin Towers had the lobby tridents. This building is just a box.
The defining quality is the stacked boxes. In that sense it's far more defined than the simple old Foster design which was just a straight up extrusion, rotate 45% and done.
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #4127
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

A site like this deserves proven talents who have weathered fads and survived hype. Bjarke Ingels is not that architect. He is 90% hype. Foster, Rogers, Maki, even Childs, they're those kinds of architects. Piano, Nouvel... those would have been proper architects.

I also think the design could be improved by at least preserving a little of Foster's deference to the site, and deference to Foster, by cutting a small diamond slope on the memorial side of the tower's crown. It would break up the tedious stacking of boxes.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #4128
Brucey7

Likes (Received): 179

A total bastardisation of the entire WTC complex. To those suggesting that a Freedom Tower twin would be preferable now is the time to start raising awareness and petitioning - once they start building its too late. Make the most of the chance.
Is it not cruel to let our city die by degrees, stripped of all her proud monuments, until there will be nothing left of all her history and beauty to inspire our children? If they are not inspired by the past of our city, where will they find the strength to fight for her future? Americans care about their past, but for short term gain they ignore it and tear down everything that matters... This is the time to take a stand, to reverse the tide, so that we won't all end up in a uniform world of steel and glass boxes.

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
Brucey7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #4129
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
it's definitely a hate it or love it design.
definitely hate it.
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #4130
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1442

To be honest, Foster's design looks like a ship ventilation funnel or subway ventilation building divided into 4 kites. The new design looks okay when viewed far away. The stack design is too funny. Fortunately, the design of WTC 1 is quite good.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #4131
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

^ I just hope that its not as shitty as the renders depict it.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #4132
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

oh wow, had high hopes they stay with the design all these years, but then again, the best designs nearly never make it. This design after all is also very unique and nice. and it looks like it is more massive, especially at the top, which is also a good thing.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, HRP4Life liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #4133
Prince Valium

Likes (Received): 31

...i really tried to like it...the only picture, where this tower looks 'ok' for me is the night rendering ..

the other renderings i could throw up..even it wasn't proposed to be built in the WTC, I would just ignore this building....

honestly, I was just waiting for the foster WTC2 to visit new york a second time..I know New York has plenty of worldclass skyscrapers, but the foster proposal just stands out and is timeless and will also never be outdated in my opinion..

I will definitely visit new york again but for now, i'm done with the whole WTC development..won't interest me anymore until a new design is proposed..
Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #4134
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

The big fundamental mistake with this site was adopting Liebeskind's concept of redistributing the space that was once solely in the two Twin Towers into various towers across the site. That was his concept, & even after his basic design was totally changed, they essentially kept that concept. Had they adopted a more interesting, solitary, yet powerful design, like Foster's kissing towers idea, that would have been a lovely tribute but also very visually interesting. I've always hated the idea of redistribution of space especially at a site like the wtc especially after the Twin Towers were lost. I didn't like 1wtc at first but boy I sure have grown to like it especially compared to some of the other towers on the site & 1wtc blows this hideous Ingels design out of the water. They should have let Childs design 2wtc or even Maki.

With the Twins, 3wtc was the short Vista/Marriott, 4,5,6 wtc were all short, with 1 & 2 wtc, the Twins, having most of the space & the height on the site. This also worked well aesthetically. Because with the Twins, or even with 1Wtc today by itself or with a twin of it, the main primary buildings were showcased in simple, dominant style, without a lot of tacky details or fuss.

The simple fix at this point to this is scrap this design & build a twin of 1wtc. Build it to 1362 feet & just call it a day.

terpi liked this post
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #4135
earthbuilder
MagnaCarta/HolyGrail

Likes (Received): 201

I usually Like designs from BIG and Bjarke Ingels. But this one. This one does in no way fit in with the rest of the WTC site. They cannot be serious if they are actually considering building that bombardment!

||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||

Check out my 3D projects:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1570589
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1497145
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1363777
earthbuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #4136
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

Bjarke y u do dis?

baseball1992 liked this post
wtcforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #4137
Juanes11

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigue8 View Post

I wonder why in us ,architech build skyscrapers without style.
why not build beautiful thing like dubai or asia.
I m not prounfd of the new design.
The skyscrapers in Dubai and most of Asia (excepting probably Japan) are absolutely hideous and have no style. They look like they're designed by children.

I think this tower looks fine. It's a more progressive design than the Foster one (which was kind of derivative and very 90's po-mo looking), and this one has stronger verticality. It's better for the skyline. I have no problem with this tower.
Juanes11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #4138
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcully56964 View Post
The only tower that never got redesigned is 4wtc and its now my favorite tower in the complex and i also dont understand why they removed the spires from 3wtc either thanks for ruining a great a site!
They removed the spires from 3 WTC because they have shortened the height of 2 WTC.

So the spires could have made 3 WTC appear taller than 2 WTC so thats why they removed.

The butchering of WTC complex has been horrendous.

lsg97, billgates liked this post
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #4139
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
They removed the spires from 3 WTC because they have shortened the height of 2 WTC.

So the spires could have made 3 WTC appear taller than 2 WTC so thats why they removed.

The butchering of WTC complex has been horrendous.
Huh? The spires of 3wtc went up to 1180ft. This 2WTC design is about 1340-1360ft.
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #4140
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Butchering? Am I the only person in the world who thinks the original twin towers were the ugliest skyscrapers ever built? Literally grey featureless boxes.

The current complex is massive improvement.

What do they say? New York is never finished. Plans don't always go perfectly. Roll with it. Isn't that what the city's supposed to be famous for?

In a perfect world, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Because 9/11 would never have happened. But this is the hand we've been dealt. And while we'd all like to change financial realities, or build whatever we want like lego blocks, that's not how things are done.

This new 2WTC design will be appreciated, in time. Just as the others will be. I remember all the same complaints about 1WTC when it was going up. Boxy. Boring. Cheap. That turned out just fine.

NatFan9, streetscapeer, HRP4Life, ebrown89 liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center