daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #4141
Radio Raheem
Fight the power!

Likes (Received): 149

Any email address to send the architect a 'friendly message'?

Doubleu1117 liked this post
Radio Raheem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #4142
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

got to say this is pretty atrocious, however if they rotated it 180 degrees so that the setbacks faced the memorial, i think it would look a bit better.

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #4143
Cyman

Likes (Received): 8

I really don't know what to think about this. I try to like it, but there is something about it, which makes it very difficult to say the least.
If it were a design from Foster, Kolhaas or any of the other old star architects, I would have said this kinda makes sense, as I have the impression that over the years, the older they become, the weirder their designs have turned. Somehow I feel like they all just want to create something avantgardistic, no matter if it blends in the existing skyline/surrounding area or not. Starting with that thin tower on Park Avenue and the other similar proposed designs on the edge of Central Park (with one exception namingly the Steinway Tower design which I really like), to Hudson Yards with their weird shaped towers to this redesign of 2 WTC (among other projects in other cities around the world). It seems like the cities have become the playground of some artists who want to erect their own monuments that will serve as memorials to them and even though the current WTC site has nothing to do with what was first presented as the winning design by Libeskind and I prefer the more conservative design, it took me a while until I got along with the final design of 1 WTC or the tower, formerly known as Freedom Tower.
There are really good designs such as the Steinway Tower or the Shanghai Tower which both look really elegant, but it seems like the new designs are either thin and cubic like the ones built and planned for the southside of Central Park or misproportioned or weirdly shaped such as the Hudson Yards towers or the Nordstrom Tower and Vanderbilt Place, which both look okay except for their top parts if you ask me.
I should seriously start thinking about submitting my own designs for the next competitions - seems like a lot of people could present something better than this!
Cyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #4144
Juanes11

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
They removed the spires from 3 WTC because they have shortened the height of 2 WTC.
That makes no sense.

First, they actually increased the height of 2 WTC, at least in terms of distribution of bulk. In the old design the tower essentially stopped at 900 ft., for all practical purposes, with the rest of the height basically a design element.

Second, 3 WTC parapet has been increased, so nothing has been shortened in 3 WTC either. If anything it will now look taller.

Third, 2 WTC and 3 WTC are not similar in height, so these changes aren't likely to have anything to do with relative heights.
Juanes11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #4145
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post
That makes no sense.

First, they actually increased the height of 2 WTC, at least in terms of distribution of bulk. In the old design the tower essentially stopped at 900 ft., for all practical purposes, with the rest of the height basically a design element.
Um... the old 2WTC's highest office floor alone was over 1100', the diamonds began at 900'. The solid roof was 1225' and the parapet 1270'

They didn't extend the parapet of 3 either although it did look it in that one nighttime rendering. As far as we know it's still 1080 to the roof. (Unless there is an official source stating otherwise of course).

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #4146
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
I remember all the same complaints about 1WTC when it was going up. Boxy. Boring. Cheap. That turned out just fine.
Yes, but 1WTC never had a brilliant design that they scrap to build the current one.
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #4147
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

World Trade Center design history

World Trade Center 2005:

R.I.P.

World Trade Center 2010:

World Trade Center 2015:

Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #4148
hateman

Likes (Received): 1797

We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #4149
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

Yeah there have been some unfortunate changes in design over the years. But if you look at the site as a whole from that last rendering there, it still looks beautiful. In my opinion that is.
Lt. H Caine está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #4150
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Oh dear, it looks absolutely terrible between 1 and 3 WTC ......how can anyone design that?
How about this?

Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #4151
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Hahaha It's like they knew all along!

Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #4152
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

WTF happened?!
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #4153
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

I had never seen that Rattner rendering before, I like it a lot! 2wtc & 3wtc are just way too close in height in the renderings, especially from afar or at night, or from Brooklyn. That's a visual & design mistake. They blend together too much it's too much of a hodgepodge. It just looks SO generic & bland. They need to scrap the hideous 2wtc design & build a twin of 1wtc, & I really don't care about 3wtc at this point, it's just boring.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #4154
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Honestly I don't know why we would expect differently this pretty much history repeating it self.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #4155
chestersim
W

Likes (Received): 646

i really love the foster design.

BIGs proposal doesnt appeal to me. its fatness and the idea that its not facing the memorial quite irks me. terraces=BIG
if they could just squeeze it a little and make it taller like wtc1 without the spire. il go for it.

fosters design any given day.
chestersim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #4156
Doubleu1117

Likes (Received): 18

How is it that everywhere I look everybody loves the tower. We seem to be the only ones to hate it. Every major site and news outlet love it, it's no wonder Bjarke Ingles designs these wannabe revolutionary towers, because everyone tells him they look great.
I figured the one hope we had was a backlash at the design pressuring Silverstein to have it updated or redesigned, but if everyone loves it sadly I don't think anything will stop this monstrosity from going up and plaguing the NYC skyline for over a century,
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #4157
lsg97

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
I had never seen that Rattner rendering before, I like it a lot! 2wtc & 3wtc are just way too close in height in the renderings, especially from afar or at night, or from Brooklyn. That's a visual & design mistake. They blend together too much it's too much of a hodgepodge. It just looks SO generic & bland. They need to scrap the hideous 2wtc design & build a twin of 1wtc, & I really don't care about 3wtc at this point, it's just boring.
I beg to differ, the Rattner proposal just looks really messy, cheap and not of any practical use at all.
I kind of liked the second Liebeskind rendering but in the end - and I know I might be the only one - I find the current 1WTC design as depicted in the 2010 renders to be the best of all. Just one question I seem to have missed:

What was the reason for them not to clad to whole spire but only the upper beacon tip? The material looks so classy and would've even improved 1WTC's overall look...

ebrown89 liked this post
lsg97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #4158
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

I just can't get over how bad this is. Generic modernist schlockitecture. Didn't even try to do anything with the ******* crown. **** this guy, and **** Fox.

f u c k
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #4159
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

My favorite is Bjarke's bs talk about elevated sky gardens or whatever. They're setbacks, Bjarke. Setbacks. NYC has had them forever and they're not new or revolutionary. What he did was stack some boxes on top of each other.
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #4160
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

Honestly the 2003 and 2010 proposal were the best of all.
Why change the design for the worst.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center